Walmart Return Policy for video game accessories (i.e. DualShock 4)

GBAstar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
62 (100%)
Does anyone know what the return policy is for video game accessories with a receipt at Walmart?

I've read anywhere from 15 days to 60 days and and someone said 30 days so I'm not sure what is true.

I bought a controller on 1/13/15 to replace one with a broken nub (long story) and another on 3/01/15 to play co-op in RE: Revelations 2.

We were able to get the one with the nub repaired through Sony and have one controller sitting unused (still sealed in box).

I'm not sure what receipt it came from, and I don't think it matters as I don't believe they are tracked by serial number but I just wanted to know if I'd be able to return this using either receipt.

I am aware they have a liberal "no receipt required" return procedure but I'd rather not go that route

The website says "generally 90 days" with this tidbit aftewards:

Is there a time limit on returns?

Generally, we accept returns within 90 days after purchase. There are a few exceptions, including, but not limited to, these examples, to the 90-day rule:

Swimming pools, lawn mowers, weed eaters, hedge trimmers, chainsaws, air conditioners, power washers, compressors and generators must be returned within 30 days with a receipt to obtain a refund or exchange.
Computers, camcorders, digital cameras, digital music players, e-tablets, e-readers, portable video players, GPS units, video game hardware, pre-paid cell phones and unopened air beds must be returned within 15 days with a receipt.
Post-paid (contract) cell phones may only be returned to the store of original purchase, in undamaged condition within 14 days of purchase with receipt. Other contractually specified requirements may apply.
Unopened video game software, Cricut™ cartridges, Music and Pre-recorded movies may be returned with a receipt.

Controllers aren't considered hardware are they? They're talking about consoles right? 

If it's 90 days I can use the original receipt.

Quick update:

I was in early this morning to buy some things from the deli and I asked the young lady at the customer service line and she said that with a receipt I could return/exchange the controller 90 days after purchase. I came back a few hours later and of course got a different lady, a 90 year old dragon lady who proceeded to tell me that the controller was "Video game hardware" and then pointed to the return exceptions board that stated the return window for video game hardware was just 15 days.

When management came over and told her to allow the refund she then threw a fit that I didn't have the original payment method (my MasterCard was reissued in February due to the Sears/Kmart breach a few months ago). I told her I had the new card, but not the old one (seriously... who keeps an expired card on their person?) and that I'd prefer store credit rather then a refund that might not process correctly.

She then, without any sort of hesitation, told me that a lot of people use that line to commit fraud and return items they didn't purchase... and she said this even though I brought in the receipt.

After discussing it again with the manager she said she could issue a gift card but only if she processed the return as a return without a receipt. I started to get frustrated but told her to proceed as I just wanted to do the return and get out of the store.

Since when did asking for a gift card instead of a debit/cash refund create so much fuss?

I really wanted to go back and speak to a manger about A) the employees inability to distinguish between hardware and accessories and B) that she was passively accusing me of fraud because I claimed my card was reissued and I no longer had the card I originally paid with (I do have that card in a drawer at my house but didn't have it on me when I went to do the return).

I think technically there's three categories: software, hardware, and accessories.  Since the intent is to limit people from holding onto valuable consoles for 3 months, I would think it's not geared so much towards software and accessories.  I think a lot of retailers also categorize it as "hardware & accessories" instead of just grouping anything that isn't software as strictly hardware.  

So although I'd agree with your interpretation it just boiled down to the rep you got stuck with.  I've always had bad experiences at Walmart too.

bread's done
Back