Walmart to buy back used games through vending machines

[quote name='sevendayrevolution']Uhm, you do realize that this is CAG, not like Buy New and Pay Full Retail Price Club. Why are you here? Not to mention your itrader says 23 so you're obviously a hypocrite! Or you're joking in a completely not joking manner.[/QUOTE]

...:roll:

[quote name='lilboo']Regardless of who is getting these used games, $25 for an in-demand game kind of sucks, IMO.[/QUOTE]
It's equivalent to $31.25 credit at GS. And its cash...

I'm confused, they say the machine reads the disc to see if its damaged and if it is too damaged it won't let you trade it, it is returned to you right then and there, but then they also say "If a disc is too badly damaged, we will withhold credit and contact the customer to inform him/her". So even if the machine says the disc is in good condition for the trade and accepts it, they will have a person check it when it's distributed? Then how would you get it back?

Pretty awesome that they will host the buyback prices online. And without needing to pay employees maybe the trade in values will be competitive with GS.

[quote name='J7.']It's equivalent to $31.25 credit at GS. And its cash...

I'm confused, they say the machine reads the disc to see if its damaged and if it is too damaged it won't let you trade it, it is returned to you right then and there, but then they also say "If a disc is too badly damaged, we will withhold credit and contact the customer to inform him/her". So even if the machine says the disc is in good condition for the trade and accepts it, they will have a person check it when it's distributed? Then how would you get it back?

Pretty awesome that they will host the buyback prices online. And without needing to pay employees maybe the trade in values will be competitive with GS.[/QUOTE]

and when gamestop runs threw 20% off coupons with edge card, it costs you a measly 8 dollars to get another game if you use the coupon and want a new hot game as well.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']Not everyone has a credit card though......[/QUOTE]

This is America, son, everyone gets 50 credit card offers the very day they turn 18.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']and when gamestop runs threw 20% off coupons with edge card, it costs you a measly 8 dollars to get another game if you use the coupon and want a new hot game as well.[/QUOTE]
Yes, GS is better if you have the highest valued TIV to trade in at the same exact time you find a game you want and they're offering 20% coupon for that system. How often will that occur? Wouldn't you want cash sometimes?

[quote name='Vegan']This is America, son, everyone gets 50 credit card offers the very day they turn 18.[/QUOTE]

Not after the new obama bill.

[quote name='J7.']Yes, GS is better if you have the highest valued TIV to trade in at the same exact time you find a game you want and they're offering 20% coupon for that system. How often will that occur? Wouldn't you want cash sometimes?[/QUOTE]

I'm not following your argument. You realize you can hold onto store credit, right? You don't have to spend it right away.

[quote name='salty tbone']I'm not following your argument. You realize you can hold onto store credit, right? You don't have to spend it right away.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, save your credit for the b2g1 used sales they have, sucks to wait for them but that's what I am doing.

That said, if this program ever goes to my local store I'll at least give it a look, but no walmart near me has it according to the website.

[quote name='salty tbone']I'm not following your argument. You realize you can hold onto store credit, right? You don't have to spend it right away.[/QUOTE]
Is it worth holding onto credit for weeks/months at a time if you can get almost as much in cash to purchase anything anywhere?

[quote name='J7.']Is it worth holding onto credit for weeks/months at a time if you can get almost as much in cash to purchase anything anywhere?[/QUOTE]

This thought only really applies if you are strapped for cash, if you aren't then it doesn't really matter. If you need the cash, by all means go the method that gives it to you.

Well looks where I work we got in one machine. Sadly it is not up and running yet, and we are in the process of remodeling our store. If I happen to get any info on TIV I'll let everyone know.

Kind of ridiculous how negative people are towards this before they fully understand it. Of course there will be checks on games the system does to verify it is valid. Read the OP.

If this does actually take off, I could see the TIV's being much better than anywhere else. Look at the "Red Boxes" they have in Wal-Marts and such now, $1 movie rentals? That is a great deal.

The key is they don't have to pay anyone to sit on their ass all day (like at GameStop), and there is no need for a whole entire store just to trade games (like GameStop, or any B&M). It is one machine, and will most definitely be cheaper than an entire building + employees.

I will most definitely check this out if it becomes more main stream. And if you don't have a credit card, why don't you? We will see how the new bill pans out and if they are going to start charging interest from the day of purchase ... but not using a credit card to make purchases is an idiotic thing to do. Free plane tickets? Free BB gift cards? All for spending money exactly how I would if I used cash? Why would you not?

The only reason not to use a credit card, is if you think a credit card is free money, and don't pay it off. Though, I doubt a CAG would be that careless and mindless of their cash flow.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Excuses excuses. Stop killing video games.[/QUOTE]:applause:

do designers get upset too when their clothes are brought in at thrift stores so they can be resold at salvage prices? does john deer care about their 20 year old lawnmowers being resold at yard sales for practically a fraction of its cost?

so what do you expect people to do, surrender back the games to publishers? yeah, i see your logic and it makes perfect sense for a 5 year old. :applause:

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Wow, you guys are a bunch of jerks. You're all just selfish used game buyers and sellers. We'll see who laughs last when the only system alive is the Wii.[/QUOTE]:fridge:

[quote name='J7.']If you can check some TIV of a new game, an old game, and a rare game.[/QUOTE]sorry if i knew about this i would have contributed. i was in lake george for the weekend and i definitely stopped at that saratoga springs walmart and played around with it.

my one observation: i have a few upc of games in a sheet of paper and when i first scanned it, it looked for a second and then it says please scan the game or something like that. i didnt have any on me (i did in the car but i wasnt about to trade in a sealed copy of mega man x7). i tried it a few more times and it wouldnt let me. maybe it has some sort of camera built inside to detect the case? im not sure since i didnt look closely.

[quote name='MattVid']
And if you don't have a credit card, why don't you? We will see how the new bill pans out and if they are going to start charging interest from the day of purchase ... [/QUOTE]
What's this charge interest from the day of purchase all about?

[quote name='phear3d']

my one observation: i have a few upc of games in a sheet of paper and when i first scanned it, it looked for a second and then it says please scan the game or something like that. i didnt have any on me (i did in the car but i wasnt about to trade in a sealed copy of mega man x7). i tried it a few more times and it wouldnt let me. maybe it has some sort of camera built inside to detect the case? im not sure since i didnt look closely.[/QUOTE]
Not sure. I don't think you need the actual case, just the correct upc. There is the whole deal about needing the actual upc from the game's cover sleeve, and not one you would find for indivual stores, etc. What is the interface on it like, for instance does it let you check TIV's without scanning?

[quote name='J7.']
What is the interface on it like, for instance does it let you check TIV's without scanning?[/QUOTE]
you cant. its like a dumber version of gamestop where you cant call to get a quote. on this kiosk you have to scan the game to continue. there is a video guide on how to do it. thats about it. i really wish i tested it out a little bit more but i was in a rush to get out of there since they had nothing to offer as far as games.

Our super walmart has one of these now. I wanted to see what some game values were and you cant check. You have to scan your game...course i dont carry games with me lol.
Anyone try it. i read some of this post just not all of it didnt see anyone yet that actually used it.

I'm sure you can use a debit card which comes free with any free checking account at a bank. Which can be used on the "credit" side of it.

I honestly have no idea what games get you for trade in value.
However, we got in a few games and I noticed -

For some reason they want $5 for old Madden games, so I'm guessing maybe you get a dollar for them? It costs $1 to rent a game for a day, so they would make their money back if someone really wanted to rent Madden, and they make a profit if someone is stupid enough to buy a 07 Madden for $5.

TIV must be really low in general for some games. Metroid Prime 3 someone traded in and it was selling for $20 disc only. They had Fire Emblem for $30 disc only for a day but I've yet to see it back - maybe someone actually bought it?

There were tons of Madden/sports games in the machine. The only one I was interested in was Sega tennis for 360 for $5 to own but prices are already that low on fleabay. I'm still turned off by the whole idea you get a disc only game.

I guess if someone is crazy enough to trade in a rare game I might buy something off it, but right now I'm way too lazy to bother trading in any games/checking value since I work at the store where there is one (and I have yet to hear of any others in Connecticut, but I guess It's a matter of time). Would be nice if their site gave in TIV.

With all this said. When Max Payne 3 is out/ any short good game is out I'd probably rent it for a few days then return it. Beats giving Blockbuster or Gamefly the megabucks if I can play a game all day and beat it. Now just waiting for some sucker to trade in some awesome short games, along with the rare ones.

do they take older generation games?(ps1, dreamcast). i mean hell, if they give $1 for dreamcast sports titles, thats pretty sweet.

I actually just met the district manager of my NC and GA and got his card so i can call him anytime i have questions. A machine wouldnt scan my license so i went to another machine and he was there doing some updating and configurations on the box. i told him about my problem and he called the development team and he was told that the boxes at this point can not read 4 state drivers licenses.. mine is a michigan license.

I also scanned a bunch of my newer PS3 games like UFC, LBP, Wolverine and they were all around the $24-25. I then scanned some other older cheaper games and i would compare their tiv to Gamestop without promotions. so this is a great way to get cash when you dont want to take a 20% hit..
There was a lot money to be made on this machine when the bbv and the now the hwv sale is going on. Like $5-10 per a game.

Tou can only trade in current gen games like wii, ps3 and 360. maybe ps2.
The TIV website is still in the works, at this point you have to bring the game or use a printed out UPC.
You need the Case to be abke to turn in a game, but you dont need cases for DVDs.
The machines takes more then one copy of the same exact game. ( the machine will prompt, asking if you really have two copies)
The machine will not take a Greendot card/ Prepaid/ Reloadable Card, i had to use a regular credit card.
The name on the license does not have to match the credit card. ( DM said he will let me use his ID on the machine sometime this week until they come up with a solution for my problem)
You will have to use a license everytime you do a trade in transaction, it does not save it to your account.
Really good info, is the TIV updates every wednesday night/ thursday morning. so you can have upto a week if you have a great flip.

[quote name='mitemouse']I actually just met the district manager of my NC and GA and got his card so i can call him anytime i have questions. A machine wouldnt scan my license so i went to another machine and he was there doing some updating and configurations on the box. i told him about my problem and he called the development team and he was told that the boxes at this point can not read 4 state drivers licenses.. mine is a michigan license.

I also scanned a bunch of my newer PS3 games like UFC, LBP, Wolverine and they were all around the $24-25. I then scanned some other older cheaper games and i would compare their tiv to Gamestop without promotions. so this is a great way to get cash when you dont want to take a 20% hit..
There was a lot money to be made on this machine when the bbv and the now the hwv sale is going on. Like $5-10 per a game.

Tou can only trade in current gen games like wii, ps3 and 360. maybe ps2.
The TIV website is still in the works, at this point you have to bring the game or use a printed out UPC.
You need the Case to be abke to turn in a game, but you dont need cases for DVDs.
The machines takes more then one copy of the same exact game. ( the machine will prompt, asking if you really have two copies)
The machine will not take a Greendot card/ Prepaid/ Reloadable Card, i had to use a regular credit card.
The name on the license does not have to match the credit card. ( DM said he will let me use his ID on the machine sometime this week until they come up with a solution for my problem)
You will have to use a license everytime you do a trade in transaction, it does not save it to your account.
Really good info, is the TIV updates every wednesday night/ thursday morning. so you can have upto a week if you have a great flip.[/QUOTE]
Awesome info! Added to OP. Will work to adjust the OP soon as well to make it more up to date. How much did your older cheap games get, that is really what I'm dying to know.

[quote name='J7.']Awesome info! Added to OP. Will work to adjust the OP soon as well to make it more up to date. How much did your older cheap games get, that is really what I'm dying to know.[/QUOTE]

well i tried out GTA for ps3, i believe it was $10 or 11.
De Blob for WII was around 12
Fear 2 for 360 was at $17.
qunatum of solace for 360 was $13.

i tried a lot of games and i was not dissapointed. Especially when i was comparing them to sale prices of B1g1 BBV and $5 HWV.. your not going to get rich quick off this machine but if you find an awesome flip, you have a week to exploit it. and its also great that you are getting cash and not credit cause Cash is King everywhere.

I finally got to test out the machine tonight..I havent had an ID that worked until today when a friend came by and we were in the area of a box. I wanted to turn some gamestop credit into cash.
I traded in
Street Fighter 4 PS3- 17.50
Fight Night Round 4 360- 36.75

so now its just time to wait to see when the cash hits my credit card.

I just got credited the money to my card today on the 4th. About a week for the cash.. I might try this machine with a different card cause some banks are slowere then others.

If they don't keep this updated and you can get good trade in prices for your used games maybe this might work. I'd hope the machines are outside so you'd never have to deal with the freak show zoo inside. Otherwise... FAIL.

bread's done
Back