Walmart YMMV In Store Clearance Thread I (READ THE FAQs)

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Changing this to a FAQs for those that need some help getting these deals.

When I order online it shows X price for in store, but changes to Y price at checkout, what gives?
You can only do in store pickup for the clearance price if the item is available for pick up that day. If it isn't the price will be the online price instead. Sometimes the item will be shipped to that store if it is no longer at that store. It may adjust to the clearance price at pickup but it could also charge you full price for it.

Can I buy the item at one store and return / rebuy at another?
Yes but it is up to the stores discretion to allow you to get it for that stores in store price. If it is an online order, they are supposed to return it to the warehouse it came from so you will not be able to buy it back. It's YMMV on employees following this rule though.

Can I price match a Walmart clearance item at X store?
No. No store, including Walmart, PMs clearance prices. YMMV on getting PMs for these items but it is against every stores policy to do so.

I want to price match this clearance item at another Walmart, will they allow me to?
No WM (or any retailer) PMs the prices of other local stores.

BS said X of an item is in stock, but the employee said it isn't at my store, why did they lie to me?
They didn't. Sometimes items are misplaced, stolen, or the count is off. Employees are not all over the massive stock room nor do they know where every item is. Don't harass an employee or come on here saying they are keeping it for themselves. Sometimes, an item truly isn't in the store.

Why is BS always wrong?
BS is not wrong. Their information is directly from WM systems. Just like all stores, inventory and prices may be wrong for a certain store. Do not rely only on BS.

How do I find clearance items?
Go to the store and scan items, check SD, check this thread. Actually look for something you want.

Where in the store are clearance games located?

Clearance items in general can be on shelves, in dedicated clearance sections or in the stock room. For games specifically, they will be in the videogame glass cases, videogame value game isle or dedicated clearance section. It's random and depends on that stores layout / management.

What is the SKU or item number of this item?
Look it up yourself. There is a search function on this site, on BS site and you can Google the item almost 100% of the time. No one needs to spoon feed you this information and we shouldn't have 20 people asking for the same information that was already posted.

Acronyms to know.
WM = Walmart
PM = Price Match
TRU = Toysrus
BS = Brickseek
SD = Slickdeals

Last edited by a moderator:
Just 360. No big deal. Like I said, I'm not a big fan of Telltale Games' games, so the format didn't matter as much to me as finding a video game for three cents.

Yeah I may be done. Running into too many employees freaking out with the 3 cent price. Last store i was just at waited 10 mins while about 5 employees asked each other if the system was having problems. Lol

Yeah I may be done. Running into too many employees freaking out with the 3 cent price. Last store i was just at waited 10 mins while about 5 employees asked each other if the system was having problems. Lol
In my experience this week, if you bombard them with evidence, they kinda give up. Was at WM today looking for some games for my bro's bday and noticed Korra on the clearance shelf. Was able to go to self-checkout and it scanned, of course, for 3-cents. The attendant said I couldn't have it but I showed her my phone, with it also scanning the game for 3-cents. She then said, 'oh ok' and allowed me to buy it. I think someone else here in this 3-cent thread also said the employees relented when he showed them his own scan. I think they just need to see that price on multiple different scans and they'll be more likely to give in.

In my experience this week, if you bombard them with evidence, they kinda give up. Was at WM today looking for some games for my bro's bday and noticed Korra on the clearance shelf. Was able to go to self-checkout and it scanned, of course, for 3-cents. The attendant said I couldn't have it but I showed her my phone, with it also scanning the game for 3-cents. She then said, 'oh ok' and allowed me to buy it. I think someone else here in this 3-cent thread also said the employees relented when he showed them his own scan. I think they just need to see that price on multiple different scans and they'll be more likely to give in.
That's not M rated so why was the employee involved with the scanning at self checkout? If it was to remove the plastic shell try to give the games to them before you checkout. I was only stopped at self checkout when the employee had to override the M rated game sale and saw the price at that time.

Here is my 3 cent tale. I headed to a promising walmart after work. I scoped out the "main" game case. There was oodles of games.

Kirby Epic Yarn

Sin and Punishment

Fortune Street

Metroid Other M 

My Walking Coach

Steel Diver

Legend of Korra

Samurai Warriors 3

and maybe some others I don't remember, but it wasn't anything new from what has been reported.

So I found an electronics employee and just asked her, "If a game rings up for 3 cents can you sell it to me?" she told me No, that they have to pull them from the shelves and return them to the warehouse. I asked her for a manager to talk to, and she brought me a yellow vested CSM. I told her "I want to buy some games that I know for a fact are 3 cents." She asked me which games they were and I said as tactful as I could "I don't want to tell you until you can confirm you'll let me but 1 of each" I explained I don't want 9 or 10 of the same game. Best I could get out of her was "We'll see" so I listed off all the games. She got two more employees and started emptying out the game racks and were astonished every game I mentioned was 3 cents. That CSM kept a stack of one of each for me and said she was gonna have a talk with the store manager about the games I wanted. I waited about 7 minutes and she came back to inform me that she was permitted to sell me only 1 of the games in the stack. I requested to talk to the manager that made that decision. 

2 managers came from the back and I told them "I want this stack of games for 3 cents each like they ring up". She was bumbling and going on about if I found a can of paint on a shelf that said $15 and it rang up $30 that they would have to charge the $30. I knew they were trying to take me for a ride. I told them I knew that is not the case, all those games ring up at .03 because that is the price they have bottomed out at and I pointed at the 80 plus 3 cent games I had them pull and asked her if it was such a big deal if I just get one of each title for 3 cents. She argued that the STICKER price was what they had to charge for all "clearance" and that if I wanted the other games I would have to pay the last stickered yellow tag on each box. I knew I wasn't getting anywhere so I took my 3 cent copy of kirby and left. Probably the best game out of the bunch.

They would have told me hell was full of unicorns and rainbows to get me out of there.

My usual got to if they were in the case is:

me: My niece told me these were on clearance

WME: Really? For how much?

me: dunno.

WME: (sees .03) wow must be true

or

WME: somethings wrong, let me get a manager (doe, lost 4 copies of 3DS Korra that way)

It works half the time, you have to prep them for the 3 cent shock. If they don't believe it can be 3 cents, they call a manager over.

I was able to grab one of the Samsung 40in for my brother today for $79. Nice deal on the TV. Surprised to see some since last few weeks were OOS everywhere. Left the other one as the box was in rough shape and seems it was shipped by UPS to the store.

Got turned down on 3 cent games.

Why do some Walmart employees treat these like they’re losing money and it’s coming out of their own pockets?

My usual got to if they were in the case is:

me: My niece told me these were on clearance

WME: Really? For how much?

me: dunno.

WME: (sees .03) wow must be true

or

WME: somethings wrong, let me get a manager (doe, lost 4 copies of 3DS Korra that way)

It works half the time, you have to prep them for the 3 cent shock. If they don't believe it can be 3 cents, they call a manager over.
When I had Metroid: Other M, Sin & Punishment, Kirby and Personal Training Walking in my cart, the employee gave me a "you're serious???" look and I said "just wait." He scanned them and was surprised, I paid and that was it. We chatted about how those games had probably been on the shelves for 6 or 7 years.

Here is my 3 cent tale. I headed to a promising walmart after work. I scoped out the "main" game case. There was oodles of games.

Kirby Epic Yarn

Sin and Punishment

Fortune Street

Metroid Other M

My Walking Coach

Steel Diver

Legend of Korra

Samurai Warriors 3

and maybe some others I don't remember, but it wasn't anything new from what has been reported.

So I found an electronics employee and just asked her, "If a game rings up for 3 cents can you sell it to me?" she told me No, that they have to pull them from the shelves and return them to the warehouse. I asked her for a manager to talk to, and she brought me a yellow vested CSM. I told her "I want to buy some games that I know for a fact are 3 cents." She asked me which games they were and I said as tactful as I could "I don't want to tell you until you can confirm you'll let me but 1 of each" I explained I don't want 9 or 10 of the same game. Best I could get out of her was "We'll see" so I listed off all the games. She got two more employees and started emptying out the game racks and were astonished every game I mentioned was 3 cents. That CSM kept a stack of one of each for me and said she was gonna have a talk with the store manager about the games I wanted. I waited about 7 minutes and she came back to inform me that she was permitted to sell me only 1 of the games in the stack. I requested to talk to the manager that made that decision.

2 managers came from the back and I told them "I want this stack of games for 3 cents each like they ring up". She was bumbling and going on about if I found a can of paint on a shelf that said $15 and it rang up $30 that they would have to charge the $30. I knew they were trying to take me for a ride. I told them I knew that is not the case, all those games ring up at .03 because that is the price they have bottomed out at and I pointed at the 80 plus 3 cent games I had them pull and asked her if it was such a big deal if I just get one of each title for 3 cents. She argued that the STICKER price was what they had to charge for all "clearance" and that if I wanted the other games I would have to pay the last stickered yellow tag on each box. I knew I wasn't getting anywhere so I took my 3 cent copy of kirby and left. Probably the best game out of the bunch.

They would have told me hell was full of unicorns and rainbows to get me out of there.
lol whats funny and one the employee i dealt with tonight kept going on about the system having problems and she even looked up one of the games on walmart.com and it was showing in store pick up at 3 cents. I basically looked at her and said so whats the problem?

Had a checker ring up 14 games today and she was chatty enough to not notice the price at all.

This has worked for me every time:

1. Be polite and respectful to the employee. When the game rings up and they look freaked acknowledge you knew the game was discounted.

2. If they want to deny the sale I’ve had the page for Legend of Korra up on my phone. At least in my area it shows as .03 for in-store purchase. Regardless if you are buying Korra or not you have proof of the website showing it.

3. If they call management politely remind them both the system and website are showing the same thing for a clearance item. I’ve also mentioned driving from a town 20-30 minutes away because I saw these games on Walmart.com . There been a few nasty employees but I’m yet to be turned down.

If you ask them to type in the SKU number, as in the SKU number you input on brickseek's website, it will turn up "item not found" on the hand scanner. You have to give them the UPC. The SKU number only applies to that respective item on Walmart.com, and is irrelevant when checking stock in store on the hand scanner (doesn't make sense, but that's how it is).
Oh dang, I was under the impression that they could type the SKU number into the computer systems they have. I've tried to give them a UPC code and even an actual barcode I printed before but they wouldn't scan it. Thanks for the info.

When I had Metroid: Other M, Sin & Punishment, Kirby and Personal Training Walking in my cart, the employee gave me a "you're serious???" look and I said "just wait." He scanned them and was surprised, I paid and that was it. We chatted about how those games had probably been on the shelves for 6 or 7 years.
I was referring when you have to get an electronic employee to open the display case and pay. When I have them in hand I just head to self checkout.

Had a checker ring up 14 games today and she was chatty enough to not notice the price at all.

This has worked for me every time:

1. Be polite and respectful to the employee. When the game rings up and they look freaked acknowledge you knew the game was discounted.

2. If they want to deny the sale I’ve had the page for Legend of Korra up on my phone. At least in my area it shows as .03 for in-store purchase. Regardless if you are buying Korra or not you have proof of the website showing it.

3. If they call management politely remind them both the system and website are showing the same thing for a clearance item. I’ve also mentioned driving from a town 20-30 minutes away because I saw these games on Walmart.com . There been a few nasty employees but I’m yet to be turned down.
This^

I have yet to be turned down. Manager has been called over but they eventually let me buy the games. I had 14 games at checkout today and it totaled a whopping 49 cents, clerk called over the manager and I told them I knew they were on clearance. They asked how and I told them some cock-n-bull story about Walmart's twitter tweeting a fire sale on games. They go back and forth and eventually let be buy them. Other than that, the rest of my 3 cent game hunting has been smooth sailing. :D/

Saw my Wal-Mart got the Samsung tv in stock. Picked one up for $79
attachicon.gif
20180131_215313.jpg
Is that one of the $89 or $99 laptops?

Something weird I've noticed on the Walmart app is that you used to be able to type in the name of the item and it would show the price (at whatever store you selected), however, now it just shows "Store price unavailable". If I scan the UPC instead, it will show the price... Seems like a really roundabout way of getting the in-store price (besides checking brickseek), unless I'm missing something.

I found one of the $79 LG 49” tonight! I assume return, since it has that orange sticker? Will unbox tonight and hope for the best.
I opened the box tonight. While I haven't pulled the TV out yet to check it out (will tonight), it definitely doesn't look like this was used. I don't think the Styrofoam and baggies would be this mint on a return. Looking good!

Finally decided to give it a try. Picked up Steel Diver...and $26 additional groceries. Almost all games listed were there,behind the glass. She didn’t want to mess with my full cart and sent me to the front.

A buddy and I drove out to a bunch of Walmarts in the area. We only got denied at one store (Was trying to buy two copies of Epic Yarn, but the manager only let me buy one). At another store, an employee tried to stop me from buying the games (after I had already paid for them). But a manager came over and didn't seem to care.

Anyway, here's what we picked up for 3 cents:

PokePark 2 (Wii)

Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii)

Samurai Warriors 3 (Wii)

Sin & Punishment 2 (Wii)

Metroid Other M (Wii)

Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii)

FIFA 13 (Wii U)

Giana Sisters (Wii U - this was $7)

Personal Trainer (DS)

Professor Layton & the Last Specter (DS)

Professor Layton & the Unwound Future (DS)

Legend of Kora (3DS)

Steel Diver (3DS)

Spirit Camera (3DS)

Bound by Flame (PS4)

FIFA Soccer (Vita)

Wolf Among Us (Xbox 360)

Wolf Among Us (XB1)

Hit 3 stores in the Western Ny area and completely struck out! One even claimed 28 notebooks and not 1 to be found! Did find Batman VR for PS4 $3 but don't have the VR so left it.

Hit 3 stores in the Western Ny area and completely struck out! One even claimed 28 notebooks and not 1 to be found! Did find Batman VR for PS4 $3 but don't have the VR so left it.
I feel better now about not being able to make the rounds now. WNY stuff gets scooped up fast or the inventory is grossly off

That's not M rated so why was the employee involved with the scanning at self checkout? If it was to remove the plastic shell try to give the games to them before you checkout. I was only stopped at self checkout when the employee had to override the M rated game sale and saw the price at that time.
The employee was there at Self-checkout already when I got there. Not sure why.

Wow this thread exploded since this morning.

I was politely denied, and only because the cashier was busy so it was a higher up unlocking the case. He really wanted to sell it to me but was afraid, and said the games are marked to be sent back to the warehouse.

Did any of you have to dig in big round bins to find these games? The store I went to, which I've only been to a few times in my life just had a big round bin for games under $20. Half the games were ok condition and then the other half were beat up plastic and some with no plastic seal with security tape seal still on the side. Then some even had no seal or tape seal, weirdest thing I've ever seen, how can they sell opened games?
Anyway I'm surprised I didn't find the games that were supposed to be there. Also I brought along a phone that I just got the Walmart app for on the way there and finally set it up while in store only to find out the scanning isn't available in that store or any near me for that matter. How is price scanning not available in certain stores, that makes no sense to me.

Did any of you have to dig in big round bins to find these games? The store I went to, which I've only been to a few times in my life just had a big round bin for games under $20. Half the games were ok condition and then the other half were beat up plastic and some with no plastic seal with security tape seal still on the side. Then some even had no seal or tape seal, weirdest thing I've ever seen, how can they sell opened games?
Anyway I'm surprised I didn't find the games that were supposed to be there. Also I brought along a phone that I just got the Walmart app for on the way there and finally set it up while in store only to find out the scanning isn't available in that store or any near me for that matter. How is price scanning not available in certain stores, that makes no sense to me.
I had to deal with that a few days ago. I was incredibly tempted just to put half of them on the floor so I could arrange all of them in the bin to be able to find what I'm looking for.

WM close to me had a bunch of $5 X1 games today (I think Sunset Overdrive was one of them), but I didn't look intensely cause I am a Sony man. There were a couple of $10 PS4 games, like Mirror's Edge Catalyst. 

These guys have the right idea:[attachment=29411:5F333A3D-41BE-49DB-9C4B-F0FBA72695B2.jpeg]

Found a Wario Ware DIY (had two got one) but that's it...may check another one tomorrow but honestly not sure if there's anything else I'd even want.  Took mine up to self-checkout and bought with a slightly discounted Tide Pod container.  The game was still in a locked security case so had to give that to the lady up front.  I scanned it, handed her the game, then paid for it before she could object even if she wanted to haha.

bread's done
Back