Walmart YMMV In Store Clearance Thread I (READ THE FAQs)

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Changing this to a FAQs for those that need some help getting these deals.

When I order online it shows X price for in store, but changes to Y price at checkout, what gives?
You can only do in store pickup for the clearance price if the item is available for pick up that day. If it isn't the price will be the online price instead. Sometimes the item will be shipped to that store if it is no longer at that store. It may adjust to the clearance price at pickup but it could also charge you full price for it.

Can I buy the item at one store and return / rebuy at another?
Yes but it is up to the stores discretion to allow you to get it for that stores in store price. If it is an online order, they are supposed to return it to the warehouse it came from so you will not be able to buy it back. It's YMMV on employees following this rule though.

Can I price match a Walmart clearance item at X store?
No. No store, including Walmart, PMs clearance prices. YMMV on getting PMs for these items but it is against every stores policy to do so.

I want to price match this clearance item at another Walmart, will they allow me to?
No WM (or any retailer) PMs the prices of other local stores.

BS said X of an item is in stock, but the employee said it isn't at my store, why did they lie to me?
They didn't. Sometimes items are misplaced, stolen, or the count is off. Employees are not all over the massive stock room nor do they know where every item is. Don't harass an employee or come on here saying they are keeping it for themselves. Sometimes, an item truly isn't in the store.

Why is BS always wrong?
BS is not wrong. Their information is directly from WM systems. Just like all stores, inventory and prices may be wrong for a certain store. Do not rely only on BS.

How do I find clearance items?
Go to the store and scan items, check SD, check this thread. Actually look for something you want.

Where in the store are clearance games located?

Clearance items in general can be on shelves, in dedicated clearance sections or in the stock room. For games specifically, they will be in the videogame glass cases, videogame value game isle or dedicated clearance section. It's random and depends on that stores layout / management.

What is the SKU or item number of this item?
Look it up yourself. There is a search function on this site, on BS site and you can Google the item almost 100% of the time. No one needs to spoon feed you this information and we shouldn't have 20 people asking for the same information that was already posted.

Acronyms to know.
WM = Walmart
PM = Price Match
TRU = Toysrus
BS = Brickseek
SD = Slickdeals

Last edited by a moderator:
As a former walmart employee I think it's hilarious how people take receipt checking so seriously. Like if everybody used that kind of thinking how the hell is a store supposed to stop casual theft at the doors? People that "forget" to scan a few items but scanned everything else. Ever since the door greeter positions got mixed into Loss Prevention they had us be more stringent in checking receipts and we'd stop people every fucking time. People that "forget" to scan the clothes they have inside a tote box, people that forget to scan the tri tip beef they have under their grocery bags....

Don't take it personally. The employees aren't out to get you. They're just doing what they're told and if they don't do it they get written up. It's as simple as that. If you don't like that then don't shop at Walmart! Go to Target!

Might wanna peep this too:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/false_imprisonment

check out "shopkeeper's privilege" section

If you're being discriminated against, take it up with the store manager to get the racist fired and save all the other people in your demographic from being profiled. None of us on this message board can help you resolve your problem.
did it help your wife karen?

Grabbed for PS4 Ace Combat 7 $5, Code Vein $5, Doom Slayers $10, and Quantic Dream Collection $15.

The most interesting tidbit tho was that the lady that helped me said they were redoing the entire case tonight. Gonna return on Thursday and see if they wipe out some new stuff.

As a former walmart employee I think it's hilarious how people take receipt checking so seriously. Like if everybody used that kind of thinking how the hell is a store supposed to stop casual theft at the doors? People that "forget" to scan a few items but scanned everything else. Ever since the door greeter positions got mixed into Loss Prevention they had us be more stringent in checking receipts and we'd stop people every fucking time. People that "forget" to scan the clothes they have inside a tote box, people that forget to scan the tri tip beef they have under their grocery bags....

Don't take it personally. The employees aren't out to get you. They're just doing what they're told and if they don't do it they get written up. It's as simple as that. If you don't like that then don't shop at Walmart! Go to Target!
It's surprising but not surprising that people are flipping out about this.

But this is 'Murica! Don't violate my freedom rights by telling me to do something I don't want to do! What do you mean I need to wear a mask and you need to check my receipt?!?! /s

According to the report, shrink averaged 1.62 percent of sales during 2019, up from 1.38 percent in 2018 after hovering around 1.4 percent over the past few years. The number of cases was up, with an average 560 employee theft apprehensions per retailer surveyed (up from 323 last year) and 689 shoplifting/ORC apprehensions (up from 509).

So 2019 statistics show damn near half of the retail shrink was employee theft. Yeah this is why people hate the receipt checkers

Edit:source https://nrf.com/media-center/press-releases/retail-shrink-totaled-617-billion-2019-amid-rising-employee-theft-and#:~:text=WASHINGTON%20%E2%80%93%20Theft%2C%20fraud%20and%20losses,the%20annual%20National%20Retail%20Security

Also been in management for a couple retail stores to have to have dealt with this

It's surprising but not surprising that people are flipping out about this. But this is 'Murica! Don't violate my freedom rights by telling me to do something I don't want to do! What do you mean I need to wear a mask and you need to check my receipt?!?!
Not checking a receipt won't literally kill people lol

lol you're the one who said it "needs" to be done

It's like you have to tell children sometimes, is that a want, or a need?
I said it sarcastically from the point of view of someone complaining. For the record, I think it's ridiculous that either of those things (wearing masks or checking receipts) are worth complaining about.

Added /s to my original post just in case. Didn't realize it wasn't clear!

Holy shit, take a chill pill man. It sucks that you are a minority and this could be considered racial profiling. But I'm white, I look young, I shop alone, and I wear hoodies. I got stopped ALL the time before the pandemic. Anyone can steal, but give people the benefit of the doubt unless you have clear evidence. Then record it and take it up with the store manager.

You're right, they can't take your 3 cent games because they don't agree with the price after you already made the purchase. But you also missed a crucial fact: they have the right to detain you for not allowing them to check your receipt, citing that the reason you didn't allow them to verify the contents of your bag is because you stole something. That is considered probable cause to keep you for much longer than it would've taken them to check your receipt. Checking receipts is such a trivial thing, so most likely nobody will. But if you ARE being discriminated against, then you throwing a fit is a means to and end for the racists. I mean, you might be able to take the person to civil court over that, but I doubt anything good will happen for you. Walmart itself will trample all over you if you try to sue them.

To reiterate, receipt checking is so trivial. Who the fuck cares if they approve of the items they sold you? Sale already happened, call the police yourself if they try to take back their items. Also, fuck them if you're buying weird shit and they look at you funny. There's just no reason to get an aneurysm over the employee trying to prevent people from stealing things.

If you're being discriminated against, take it up with the store manager to get the racist fired and save all the other people in your demographic from being profiled. None of us on this message board can help you resolve your problem.
Feel free to ignore everything in this post. Not very constructive and is only contributing inaccurate information.

The more fuss you make about receipt checking the more guilty you look.  It's easy enough to be prepared to deal with the practice.  Try to be accommodating to them and friendly and it'll go a long way to getting out of the store without issue.  If I'm buying something I know I'm going to get stopped for, I'll make a mental note of where it is on the receipt and will point it out to the greeter.  IF I was just in the store and bought about the same amount of items, I know that's going to look fishy as if I'm trying to use the same receipt to steal some items, I'll carry both receipts and will happily explain that I forgot something.  Heck when I knew my grocery load was going to be massive, I'd go buy all the bulk items first... then go back in and buy the regular groceries.  Even then I'd carry both receipts... but I might just use the other entrance to not make it seem so fishy.

Just keep in mind how you treat others is how you'll be treated.  Get defensive and combative and you'll be treated defensively and as a combative person.   It's hard to show a smile with masks on... but friendly word and eye contact on the way in goes a long way to easing the mind of the greeter.

The more fuss you make about receipt checking the more guilty you look. It's easy enough to be prepared to deal with the practice. Try to be accommodating to them and friendly and it'll go a long way to getting out of the store without issue. If I'm buying something I know I'm going to get stopped for, I'll make a mental note of where it is on the receipt and will point it out to the greeter. IF I was just in the store and bought about the same amount of items, I know that's going to look fishy as if I'm trying to use the same receipt to steal some items, I'll carry both receipts and will happily explain that I forgot something. Heck when I knew my grocery load was going to be massive, I'd go buy all the bulk items first... then go back in and buy the regular groceries. Even then I'd carry both receipts... but I might just use the other entrance to not make it seem so fishy.

Just keep in mind how you treat others is how you'll be treated. Get defensive and combative and you'll be treated defensively and as a combative person. It's hard to show a smile with masks on... but friendly word and eye contact on the way in goes a long way to easing the mind of the greeter.
Right, because not simply & easily consigning oneself to allowing your privacy and rights to be taken away from you must mean that you are guilty and automatically a criminal. This is exactly the kind of attitude that leads towards a more dystopian society & how ideals upon which the country was founded die a little more every day.

thank god this page is deals, you'd think there was a blowout on Papers, Please!

I was at a really disheveled Walmart recently that had a barren endcap wire rack with a single Wii game on it left on clearance, some 2009 exercise video thing for about $15, it was almost a haunting sight to behold

edit: oh lol nvm

Right, because not simply & easily consigning oneself to allowing your privacy and rights to be taken away from you must mean that you are guilty and automatically a criminal. This is exactly the kind of attitude that leads towards a more dystopian society.
Step 1: Hand receipt to person
Step 2: Wait several seconds
Step 3: Leave store

Am I missing something? Where's the part where they inject the microchip?

People bitching to bitch when there are real problems... as stated they are just doing their job....  Hand them receipt and a few seconds later you are out the door....

Get over yourself

People bitching to bitch when there are real problems... as stated they are just doing their job.... Hand them receipt and a few seconds later you are out the door....

Get over yourself
So the corporation abuses employees to do it's dirty work so that we look like we're being mean to the employee when we stand up for our rights?

It's not being mean to employee to say "you don't need to do that" if they say they need to check your receipt though ?

There's nothing offensive about not consenting to something, especially if it's stupid or itself offensive or objectionable.

Corporations and their employees can be told no, surely they're mature enough to handle that.

This conversation is so weird and the ex Walmart bootlicker, sorry, I mean employee, makes it even weirder. This isn't about conspiracies or "loss prevention" at all.

I've worked years in retail. From a part timer to lead to manager. The fact that people are defending one of the biggest corporations on the planet forcing their minimum wage employees to become loss prevention (without substantial pay increase or benefits) is disgusting to me.

Guess what? Walmart has no legal right to stop you. Whether you paid for every item on your receipt or you just stole thousands of dollars worth of merchandise, it technically isn't theft until you leave the store. I've always been trained to not stop, harass or chase after a possible thief, whether they've left the store or not.

Yeah, it may not be a "big deal" to most of you, but at the same time the policy is complete garbage and is shocking to me that so many of you support it. There's a reason almost all stores don't use it and will just cut their losses: because it's shady and anti-consumer.

Walmart isn't a paid membership or club. You have every right to walk out of that store without showing your receipt. Their little "policy" can fuck off.

Weird the store I got Captain Tsubasa at jacked the price back up to MSRP?
yep, happened for tsubasa, my hero one justice, sword art, and wasteland. maybe a couple others? the one day I grabbed a couple of them an employee scanning through all the games said they were supposed to be reverted back to MSRP via a prompt on his scan gun. He said it happens once in a while where walmart drops game prices that shouldn't have been dropped only for them to get corrected and mentioned how earlier this year he got red dead 2 for $10 in store only for it to revert back to full price not even a week later

A guy I used to work with would brag about Walmart giving their store workers an extra $100 if they’d go a quarter without anyone getting hurt, and said they’d always get it because nobody would ever claim they got hurt even if they did.

if they don’t have to pay that any workman’s comp that puts money back in their pocket, much more than the $2-3000 they’d be handing out to shift workers, lol.

A guy I used to work with would brag about Walmart giving their store workers an extra $100 if they’d go a quarter without anyone getting hurt, and said they’d always get it because nobody would ever claim they got hurt even if they did.

if they don’t have to pay that any workman’s comp that puts money back in their pocket, much more than the $2-3000 they’d be handing out to shift workers, lol.
Priceless.

Dealing with something doesn't mean that you agree with it.
You have a fascinating outlook on the concept of consent.

Next time the old person at the door asks for your receipt, give them your sovereign citizen speech and see what happens. Could go a lot of ways. Just be sure you got the Facebook live feed going so we can see you in a Karen compilation.

If anyone decides to to flex some civil rights muscle I found shelf tags for Mario & Luigi 3DS $15 and Doom Slayer XB1 $10...none in the case though. Saw a few other empty slots with clearance tags as well. My area seems to be later in getting clearance stuff than you other posters so these recent deals might be going national now.

I did bag my coffee creamer, yogurt, and frozen biscuits so the receipt checkers just ignored me this round...

Next time the old person at the door asks for your receipt, give them your sovereign citizen speech and see what happens. Could go a lot of ways. Just be sure you got the Facebook live feed going so we can see you in a Karen compilation.
A video of being chased down by a dementia patient hired by walmart to check receipts at minimum wage for security theater would make a fascinating video to be sure.

This is very strange. It seems that many clearance games are now no longer showing up on brickseek. Games that were coming up  in stock with 3-4 copies or more all now say "no results found in searched area." I know that these games are in stock at my store, but they are not being detected by brickseek anymore, nor are their prices coming up. This change just happened. I wonder if these will still scan at their clearance prices. Anyone know what may be going on here?

This is very strange. It seems that many clearance games are now no longer showing up on brickseek. Games that were coming up in stock with 3-4 copies or more all now say "no results found in searched area." I know that these games are in stock at my store, but they are not being detected by brickseek anymore, nor are their prices coming up. This change just happened. I wonder if these will still scan at their clearance prices. Anyone know what may be going on here?
It seems broke right now, every time I click check inventory on a game it changes what shows up. One time it will show one store, one time it'll show a completely different store, sometimes it shows none available. Not sure what's going on but kind of annoying as I am probably going out of town tomorrow and wanted to check and see if there was any deals where I was heading.

The more fuss you make about receipt checking the more guilty you look. It's easy enough to be prepared to deal with the practice. Try to be accommodating to them and friendly and it'll go a long way to getting out of the store without issue. If I'm buying something I know I'm going to get stopped for, I'll make a mental note of where it is on the receipt and will point it out to the greeter. IF I was just in the store and bought about the same amount of items, I know that's going to look fishy as if I'm trying to use the same receipt to steal some items, I'll carry both receipts and will happily explain that I forgot something. Heck when I knew my grocery load was going to be massive, I'd go buy all the bulk items first... then go back in and buy the regular groceries. Even then I'd carry both receipts... but I might just use the other entrance to not make it seem so fishy.

Just keep in mind how you treat others is how you'll be treated. Get defensive and combative and you'll be treated defensively and as a combative person. It's hard to show a smile with masks on... but friendly word and eye contact on the way in goes a long way to easing the mind of the greeter.
I completely agree, it's amazing to me to think how people can live a peaceful and happy life by always being on the defensive and blowing things out of proportion, like he says, it's not rocket science, treat others they way you like to be treated, the person checking your receipt is just doing their job, don't take it so personally for god's sake, why stress yourself out and make such a big deal out of something so simple?

This pandemic has brought on so much stress and challenged our mental health on a constant basis, so why live our life with so much anger and defensiveness which just piles on top of it all? We can actually live a more pleasant life by not adding unnecessary stress on to ourselves by not being so negative and combative in certain situations that can be faced and acted upon in a simple and calm manner, believe me, your mental health and sanity will thank you for it in the long run 😉

They're "greeters" now?

Y'all have some wild brains, how is it negative, angry, or combative to tell someone "you have no reason to do that" when asked to search or inspect your personal effects?  It's the truth.

They're "greeters" now?

Y'all have some wild brains, how is it negative, angry, or combative to tell someone "you have no reason to do that" when asked to search or inspect your personal effects? It's the truth.
Bro, you're all over the place with your replies on this. Can't tell if you're defending people getting worked up over receipt checkers or not.

Either way, whatever. None of this back and forth is going to convince people one way or another. Let's get back to talking about deals!

Bro, you're all over the place with your replies on this. Can't tell if you're defending people getting worked up over receipt checkers or not.

Either way, whatever. None of this back and forth is going to convince people one way or another. Let's get back to talking about deals!
How am I all over the place on this? I've been consistently making fun of Walmart, their policies, and those who lick their boots in defense of them.

Am I the only one that feels like when you’re on Walmart’s property (or any store) it’s their rules, and if you don’t like it shop online?
You're right, that is definitely a feeling!

They're free to ask me to leave if they don't like me telling their receipt checker "you don't need to see my receipt."

Am I the only one that feels like when you’re on Walmart’s property (or any store) it’s their rules, and if you don’t like it shop online?
Nope, and I would suggest fighting this battle with your wallet. Refusing to shop there and having valid reasons when asked would make you some kind of activist; shopping there with the intention of engaging into a situation to be a dick the employees would make you some kind of a dick.

Edit: almost forgot, went to another location in my area and found an empty shelf tag for mario & Luigi 3ds $15. There was a copy of Doom Slayer xb1 unpriced at the bottom of the case and I thought I caught a deal but when the associate checked the price for me it was $20 instead of $10...bust for me today.

bread's done
Back