Walmart YMMV In Store Clearance Thread I (READ THE FAQs)

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Changing this to a FAQs for those that need some help getting these deals.

When I order online it shows X price for in store, but changes to Y price at checkout, what gives?
You can only do in store pickup for the clearance price if the item is available for pick up that day. If it isn't the price will be the online price instead. Sometimes the item will be shipped to that store if it is no longer at that store. It may adjust to the clearance price at pickup but it could also charge you full price for it.

Can I buy the item at one store and return / rebuy at another?
Yes but it is up to the stores discretion to allow you to get it for that stores in store price. If it is an online order, they are supposed to return it to the warehouse it came from so you will not be able to buy it back. It's YMMV on employees following this rule though.

Can I price match a Walmart clearance item at X store?
No. No store, including Walmart, PMs clearance prices. YMMV on getting PMs for these items but it is against every stores policy to do so.

I want to price match this clearance item at another Walmart, will they allow me to?
No WM (or any retailer) PMs the prices of other local stores.

BS said X of an item is in stock, but the employee said it isn't at my store, why did they lie to me?
They didn't. Sometimes items are misplaced, stolen, or the count is off. Employees are not all over the massive stock room nor do they know where every item is. Don't harass an employee or come on here saying they are keeping it for themselves. Sometimes, an item truly isn't in the store.

Why is BS always wrong?
BS is not wrong. Their information is directly from WM systems. Just like all stores, inventory and prices may be wrong for a certain store. Do not rely only on BS.

How do I find clearance items?
Go to the store and scan items, check SD, check this thread. Actually look for something you want.

Where in the store are clearance games located?

Clearance items in general can be on shelves, in dedicated clearance sections or in the stock room. For games specifically, they will be in the videogame glass cases, videogame value game isle or dedicated clearance section. It's random and depends on that stores layout / management.

What is the SKU or item number of this item?
Look it up yourself. There is a search function on this site, on BS site and you can Google the item almost 100% of the time. No one needs to spoon feed you this information and we shouldn't have 20 people asking for the same information that was already posted.

Acronyms to know.
WM = Walmart
PM = Price Match
TRU = Toysrus
BS = Brickseek
SD = Slickdeals

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, nice info. i still have my copies sealed lol

as for my copies of other m, theyre cup coasters in the family room

I know it's unlikely but an associate in electronics told me opened videogames can be returned within 14 days.  Anyone have any experience with this? 

I bought 2 skus for MX vs ATV all out and can't tell by the packaging which one has all the DLC...

I know it's unlikely but an associate in electronics told me opened videogames can be returned within 14 days. Anyone have any experience with this?

I bought 2 skus for MX vs ATV all out and can't tell by the packaging which one has all the DLC...
lmao returning opened video games. Come on dude, did they say April Fool's as you walked away?

lmao returning opened video games. Come on dude, did they say April Fool's as you walked away?
I know I know...it was yesterday but the employee I could tell just didn't care either way when he gave me that info. I guess I was just hoping beyond hope that somehow (he could be right) with so many policies fluctuating in the last year. It was like buying a lotto ticket and wishing on a star lol.

Still frustrated that I'm going to have to open the game just to find out what's on the disk since there are no unboxing on Youtube for it (Mx vs Atv All Out 2020 Motorcross Edition).

I know it's unlikely but an associate in electronics told me opened videogames can be returned within 14 days. Anyone have any experience with this?

I have returned opened video games to Wal Mart about 2 times last year without issue, funny thing was that I saw the game I returned back in their games section lol

I know I know...it was yesterday but the employee I could tell just didn't care either way when he gave me that info. I guess I was just hoping beyond hope that somehow (he could be right) with so many policies fluctuating in the last year. It was like buying a lotto ticket and wishing on a star lol.

Still frustrated that I'm going to have to open the game just to find out what's on the disk since there are no unboxing on Youtube for it (Mx vs Atv All Out 2020 Motorcross Edition).
You can usually tell which pressing it is by the product ID on the back of the box above the barcode.

a4ac9282ea5a793b7291b29b3c3d571e.jpg

There should be variations between pressings/reprints.

I have returned opened video games to Wal Mart about 2 times last year without issue, funny thing was that I saw the game I returned back in their games section lol
So you're saying there's a chance lol.

If I don't get a response from the publisher or can't figure out based on the barcode tip from SephirothWF I will open it. If I do ever try to return an open game I will report back here but I know it's YMMV.

My best .03 pickup was Rhythm Heaven Fever on Wii awhile back. We should all be lucky if you're one of those that were fortunate enough to be successful getting a game for .03 as it always has been in place that they were to be RTV'd and sent to claims. Looks like they finally got smart about it by blocking the sale. All good things must come to an end. I do find it odd that full price games are dropping straight to .03 though without any clearance price at all, that sucks.
I’m sure they’d rather return and get the credit from publisher than sell it for 10-15 bucks.

So you're saying there's a chance lol.

If I don't get a response from the publisher or can't figure out based on the barcode tip from SephirothWF I will open it. If I do ever try to return an open game I will report back here but I know it's YMMV.
I hate to be that guy but it's so you're telling me there's a chance. This is one of the most misquoted movie lines.

I’m sure they’d rather return and get the credit from publisher than sell it for 10-15 bucks.
Can't remember where I heard it, but someone once told me that Walmart got its pricing edge by asking for discounts up front and agreeing not to return for credit. If true it would explain why some stores still have stacks of obsolete titles. Seems most likely that it varies on a case by case basis depending on whom they're doing business with.

Can't remember where I heard it, but someone once told me that Walmart got its pricing edge by asking for discounts up front and agreeing not to return for credit. If true it would explain why some stores still have stacks of obsolete titles. Seems most likely that it varies on a case by case basis depending on whom they're doing business with.
I'd be interested in knowing if Target does this too since they clearance their games up to 70 percent off then sell them to Goodwill.

You should probably make an unboxing video for the next person that runs into your issue

I'd be interested in knowing if Target does this too since they clearance their games up to 70 percent off then sell them to Goodwill.
Technically not sell, they donate them as a tax write-off, and then Goodwill buys (per pallet) a % of the MSRP/value, that's why you see Target "salvage/returned" merchandise in Goodwills. If the original Target tax was $19.99 then Goodwill will price it at $9.99, etc.

That's how we did things when I worked at Goodwill for 5 years.

If they wanted things to not be sold wouldn't it make more sense to make it an extremely over inflated price and a really underpriced one?
I may be wrong, but I believe I heard it has something to do with messing with the value of the store's inventory, maybe for insurance purposes or something like that.

Pour one out for Tokyo Mirage for Switch .  Had a bunch of stores that never did the $10 drops so was hoping they might drop eventually but the game just hit 3c so can no longer be sold T_T .

Looks like said stores still have Octopath and Xenoblade 1 for $50 but I wonder if those will 3c out as well. 

Technically not sell, they donate them as a tax write-off, and then Goodwill buys (per pallet) a % of the MSRP/value, that's why you see Target "salvage/returned" merchandise in Goodwills. If the original Target tax was $19.99 then Goodwill will price it at $9.99, etc.

That's how we did things when I worked at Goodwill for 5 years.
I remember back before I got into CAGging, my wife would shop at goodwill for toys for the kids to destroy and she would mention these cheap unused Target clothes, and now I understand why. Thanks for sharing!

That said, she said she hasn't seen them in many years (and part of the reason why she stopped going). Once I started CAGgin and dropping my Goodwills myself for old video games noticed all my local ones never had anything good. Guessing they are part of the network that out all the video games donations only on shopgoodwill.com. Guessing maybe the Target salvage went that same direction as well. :oldman:

I've never found the goodwill online prices for old untested systems / games to be much of a deal with shipping and being out of pocket. :bomb:

So the same $.03 games are showing up as not for sale when scanned...

Except the Fallout 76 version with Steelbook and controller skin. I was just able to purchase one each for PS4 and X1. I think it might be because it is the only game with multiple SKUs per console and they pulled and sent the standard edition.

Who knows.

They have a decent deal on a laptop I just bought when it was 349. Now it's 379. There's a 100 off via amex card as well. I know you probably aren't looking to spend that much but it was a good value to me so far. And it came with game pass for a $1.

Retailers can not return product to the vendors. The only exception is movies and cd's that the publishers offer a buyback for.
This is incorrect.

They are 100% returning these to the vendor and getting some amount of credit towards next purchase. I don’t know the amount, but I’m guessing it’s more than a couple bucks. They may not have the ability to do this with every vendor, because as mentioned above in some cases the negotiate an upfront discount which does not allow returns. Those games are not being 3 cented.

But for the games they are 3 centing, these are being returned for vendor credit.

This is incorrect.

They are 100% returning these to the vendor and getting some amount of credit towards next purchase. I don’t know the amount, but I’m guessing it’s more than a couple bucks. They may not have the ability to do this with every vendor, because as mentioned above in some cases the negotiate an upfront discount which does not allow returns. Those games are not being 3 cented.

But for the games they are 3 centing, these are being returned for vendor credit.
Back in 2018, I think the number going around was $30. No clue how that started getting thrown around.

Makes sense as to why they aren’t clearancing them for $10.
So why did they put a bunch of games on clearance not long ago for $5-$10??? And frankly going back years for way less than $30. As I alluded to previously I think that number is too high if you ask me. Also think about how many times you've seen a game go on sale at 50% off within months of its release. If they got as much for returning it to the vendor as suggested here then why go with a bigger discount than that and not just straight to RTV status? To me it doesn't add up..... not at the $30 claim.

So let's say that they get a $30 credit for returning them to the vendor, what's stopping them from just printing out a unique UPC number for lets say $40 and leaving the games on the shelves with the new UPC sticker over the original barcode? It's not like they haven't done that before and even Target does it from time to time when a game goes on clearance and instead of putting a clearance sticker they print out an "online-only item" sticker for a higher price. Suddenly ringing up too cheap? Print out a new UPC code and price and slap it over the barcode and play dumb when a customer asks about the lower price.

I have no clue guys. That is just the number I remember people talking about years ago.

Edit: As for the games going cheaper after launch or 50% within a few months (cough cough Ubisoft), the vendor subsidizes these discounts. Obviously Walmart, Gamestop, Amazon, etc. are not eating a loss. The retailers will get a discount for selling them cheaper. This is why you will see Gamestop, Amazon, and Best Buy all have the same discount on certain games at the same time. Immortals: Fenyx Rising for example is consistently on sale for $30 (50% off).

As for "why not just keep the game expensive and never show the real clearance price so they can send it back and get credit?" Well, what do you think is going to happen when the vendor finds out they do that or that they aren't promoting/pushing their games or showcasing them on the floor? Or what is going to happen when Gamestop sells a ton of Game X but Walmart sells 1/10 of Gamestop's amount? Walmart is going to lose their bargaining power or be given less copies that would normally sell a lot of.

Also, if they can't send certain games back for "X" amount of years, it is better to get it sold at a cheaper price than to have it sit in inventory or take up shelf space than to hold it for 5 extra years.

Now that last point doesn't make sense for the recent PS4, X1, and Switch games as many of them were only 1-2 years old...so no clue why they got recalled so early. Untitled Goose Game for example has only been out 6-7 months. But that point made sense in 2018 when we were buying up Rhythm Heaven Fever, Metroid Other M, and Dragon IX. Those were all 5+ year old games taking up shelf space that no one ever bought. And when I say no one ever bought, again this is on a store to store basis previously. This most recent recall seems to be much more widespread.

I'll add to those surprised that titles under a year of release have been basically pennied out. Most stores around here (including Target and Best Buy) shelves are barren when it comes to video games. I know it's mostly pandemic related, but you would think they would rather have product on the shelves. Except Project Steam on the DS it seems that every store has 50+ copies.

I'll add to those surprised that titles under a year of release have been basically pennied out. Most stores around here (including Target and Best Buy) shelves are barren when it comes to video games. I know it's mostly pandemic related, but you would think they would rather have product on the shelves. Except Project Steam on the DS it seems that every store has 50+ copies.
I’ve never seen a more plentiful game, there’s a local store that gets in these Overstock games and for years now they will often times get 100+ copies of project steam and they can’t even sell them for $2-3 in that store

Asked around in a Walmart forum and was told they are receiving credit on condition the games not be sold. Now as to why the sudden about face one can only speculate. My hunch is that with the new consoles out the publishers do not want to lose pricing power by having a huge supply of current gen games flood the market for $5. Especially since they probably plan on recycling most of those games on the new consoles for top dollar. Seems like a win-win for Walmart since they get the credit and clear shelf space for new product. Of course it's a lose-lose for us, but hopefully this is a one-time occurrence rather than the new normal.

I'm still holdin

Asked around in a Walmart forum and was told they are receiving credit on condition the games not be sold. Now as to why the sudden about face one can only speculate. My hunch is that with the new consoles out the publishers do not want to lose pricing power by having a huge supply of current gen games flood the market for $5. Especially since they probably plan on recycling most of those games on the new consoles for top dollar. Seems like a win-win for Walmart since they get the credit and clear shelf space for new product. Of course it's a lose-lose for us, but hopefully this is a one-time occurrence rather than the new normal.
I'm still hopeful due to the fact that all of the 3 centsed games appear to have been third party games.

Especially since they probably plan on recycling most of those games on the new consoles for top dollar.
Ha, yeah that makes sense. Plus add the fact the PS5 is backwards compatible on top of that. I actually don't even own a PS4 but have been using some of the crazy PS4 clearance to get some of the games I'd want to play if I ever do decide to get a PS5.

How long does it typically take a game to drop from $49.94 to $10? There's a couple stores in my area that have Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition for $49.94, each of which supposedly had "Quantity: 6+"

Got to realize as well Digital is selling more and more so stores dont see a point in having large gaming sections anymore.

Jeez I regret never picking up Xenoblade 1 or 2 / Torna at Gamestop when they started getting clearanced. I feel like Walmart clearance is a good indicator of what is going out of print cuz didn't think also clearance AoT 2 for switch to $15? And now that price is stupid high. 

Looks like I just bought my last clearanced 3DS games from the local Walmarts.  Got two Bravely Second End Layer for $15 each.  Not the best deals I've had, but I'll take it.  RIP 3 cent games

If Wal-Mart has an agreement with Distributor A that says (in part) "If our merchandise provided does not sell within 12 months of being placed for availability on shelves/online, Retailer is entitled to return said merchandise for a credit of $X (Or X% of Retail Value) towards future product purchase".  Now, that timeline can vary, as can the credit amount - it's all going to come down to those separate agreements with distributors or publishers.

So you may have (for example), Untitled Goose Game, where the window is 6 months.  If the product remains on shelves at that point and isn't selling, WM can return unsold copies for a hypothetical credit of 30% of MSRP towards a future product order.  They may have a separate agreement for a title like Fallout 4, where the distributor expects it to continue moving for a longer time, so they can't return it until 24 months after release, and only for 15% of MSRP.  At that point, WM may decide that they can move those copies by clearancing them to 50/75% off, so it's more worthwhile to do that instead.  Or even both - Putting it on clearance for a few months leading up to the "return point", and then sending back unsold copies if they're just taking up valuable shelf space.  Once returned, the distributor can take a couple different avenues - Donate, Recycle/Salvage, Destroy, or even resell to another retailer that may be moving more inventory (just because Walmart can't move it doesn't mean Gamestop can't, etc. etc)

It's also important to keep in mind that some games don't go on clearance for the very same reason - The distribution deal that they have may tie their hands to prevent placing the game on "clearance" or trying to sell it below a set amount, except during windows in which the distributor/publisher agrees to it.  Usually when a game goes on sale (especially shortly after release), this is subsidized by the distributor anyway, as the actual "profit" margin on a $60 game is only 20-25% - So if a game is 2 months old and the distributor wants it to hit a sale of 30% off, they need to provide something to the retailer to balance it out, because the store won't want to just eat that loss for the sake of selling a "new" product.

bread's done
Back