Walmart YMMV In Store Clearance Thread I (READ THE FAQs)

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Changing this to a FAQs for those that need some help getting these deals.

When I order online it shows X price for in store, but changes to Y price at checkout, what gives?
You can only do in store pickup for the clearance price if the item is available for pick up that day. If it isn't the price will be the online price instead. Sometimes the item will be shipped to that store if it is no longer at that store. It may adjust to the clearance price at pickup but it could also charge you full price for it.

Can I buy the item at one store and return / rebuy at another?
Yes but it is up to the stores discretion to allow you to get it for that stores in store price. If it is an online order, they are supposed to return it to the warehouse it came from so you will not be able to buy it back. It's YMMV on employees following this rule though.

Can I price match a Walmart clearance item at X store?
No. No store, including Walmart, PMs clearance prices. YMMV on getting PMs for these items but it is against every stores policy to do so.

I want to price match this clearance item at another Walmart, will they allow me to?
No WM (or any retailer) PMs the prices of other local stores.

BS said X of an item is in stock, but the employee said it isn't at my store, why did they lie to me?
They didn't. Sometimes items are misplaced, stolen, or the count is off. Employees are not all over the massive stock room nor do they know where every item is. Don't harass an employee or come on here saying they are keeping it for themselves. Sometimes, an item truly isn't in the store.

Why is BS always wrong?
BS is not wrong. Their information is directly from WM systems. Just like all stores, inventory and prices may be wrong for a certain store. Do not rely only on BS.

How do I find clearance items?
Go to the store and scan items, check SD, check this thread. Actually look for something you want.

Where in the store are clearance games located?

Clearance items in general can be on shelves, in dedicated clearance sections or in the stock room. For games specifically, they will be in the videogame glass cases, videogame value game isle or dedicated clearance section. It's random and depends on that stores layout / management.

What is the SKU or item number of this item?
Look it up yourself. There is a search function on this site, on BS site and you can Google the item almost 100% of the time. No one needs to spoon feed you this information and we shouldn't have 20 people asking for the same information that was already posted.

Acronyms to know.
WM = Walmart
PM = Price Match
TRU = Toysrus
BS = Brickseek
SD = Slickdeals

Last edited by a moderator:
My walmart has the newest lego AT-AT for $75. I thought it would be gone before it dropped lower so I picked it up.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=695488936
Because of you, I was keeping up with this. One of my Walmarts had it on clearance for $100 but all the rest were regular price. I kept checking on it every few days to see if it would go lower and now all of them have it at $160. wtf? Guess I wont be getting that set any time soon.

I went to my local Walmart and saw the placeholder for Kirby for $60. Felt bad man. I hope this isn’t the end of $50 new release Switch games at Walmart.
Hopefully it's just a fluke for this one title. I was already planning on skipping it after trying the demo and reminding myself that Kirby games are generally too casual/easy for me.

Hopefully it's just a fluke for this one title. I was already planning on skipping it after trying the demo and reminding myself that Kirby games are generally too casual/easy for me.
I've had an early copy since Sunday. It is very easy but picks up near the end. I do love the art style

Because of you, I was keeping up with this. One of my Walmarts had it on clearance for $100 but all the rest were regular price. I kept checking on it every few days to see if it would go lower and now all of them have it at $160. wtf? Guess I wont be getting that set any time soon.
That's the worst! Usually they keep going down once they lower... :(

lol "because of you" sounds like blaming someone else for your mistake of waiting.

Someone on Reddit is reporting that Lego Stars Wars The skywalker saga for Switch is $60.  So the second game not discounted.  My local store did not get it, but according to brickseek a store further out did get it and is selling it for $60.  

Dying Light 2 is $29.99 for PS5. Store pickup only I think.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1510250171879374849?t=J_ghBkJrAeWWsjwIGBGOxA&s=19

My Walmart has had a table of clearance games/Lego that haven't been marked down since 2/6. A couple have December dates. I asked the manager to check and they still have no further markdowns. None of the this merch has moved. All through January they had markdowns every Monday. I guess they are good with them collecting dust.

My Walmart has had a table of clearance games/Lego that haven't been marked down since 2/6. A couple have December dates. I asked the manager to check and they still have no further markdowns. None of the this merch has moved. All through January they had markdowns every Monday. I guess they are good with them collecting dust.
Stores make peanuts on game and movie sales. It's clear most retailers don't care about them and their approach is increasingly, "You want it that badly, pay more since we know you have fewer and fewer options."

According to BBY employees at bluray.com, BBY will stop carrying movies entirely in stores come September.

Video games are next.

Stores make peanuts on game and movie sales. It's clear most retailers don't care about them and their approach is increasingly, "You want it that badly, pay more since we know you have fewer and fewer options."

According to BBY employees at bluray.com, BBY will stop carrying movies entirely in stores come September.

Video games are next.
Thats ok with me. I only go to a Best Buy store if I am buying an appliance, phone, tv or laptop to see the item physically and check it out. Who needs to look at a movie or video game before they buy it. As long as its new, they are all the same. Those previous bigger purchases require a "testing out" to see if you like that particular model you are considering to buy.

Thats ok with me. I only go to a Best Buy store if I am buying an appliance, phone, or laptop to see the item physically and check it out. Who needs to look at a movie or video game before they buy it. As long as its new, they are all the same. Those previous bigger purchases require a "testing out" to see if you like that particular model you are considering to buy.
I agree. Makes total business sense for retailers to keep removung physical media. Buying online is fine with me, too.

I have a local walmart that REFUSES to mark down items. They have items on clearance such as PS4 games that are yellow tagged and priced $1 less than MSRP. Last time the price change was 9/2021.

Thats ok with me. I only go to a Best Buy store if I am buying an appliance, phone, tv or laptop to see the item physically and check it out. Who needs to look at a movie or video game before they buy it. As long as its new, they are all the same. Those previous bigger purchases require a "testing out" to see if you like that particular model you are considering to buy.
I agree. Makes total business sense for retailers to keep removung physical media. Buying online is fine with me, too.

The quote below is why you're asking for a VERY slippery slope. I absolutely do not trust shipping of anything collectable or fragile. From the official CE thread.

So glad BB shipped Lego Skywalker Saga Deluxe Switch in a bubble mailer....sigh. At least it has a plastic sleeve so most of the sides were fine although the top and bottom definitely show the box flexed along the route. Now to see what kind of disastrous condition the steelbook shows up in.

On the flip side, I preordered a $200 collectors edition years ago, before covid, of a PS4 game. The employees at the store purposely kicked it and smashed it around. Picking it up on release day, it was literally covered in dirt and debris.

A N Y W A Y

I'm thinking the lack of updates means no one has found any deals lately. We all know walmart is YMMV as hell. 

I haven't checked lately, but did tool around on brickseek to no avail. 

Anyone come up with anything? Theres a handful of games that have been sporadically marked down through the past 10 pages of this thread I wouldn't mind finding for cheap. (15-20$ or less)

I.e. Oddworld Soulstorm, Monster Hunter Stories 2, Tales of Arise, Scarlet Nexus, FE Three Houses, DQXI, and a few others. 

Prices on a lot of things are going up .. I'm not surprised that some stores (especially those with quite a bit of empty shelf space) would opt not to mark down things as drastically.   That said, I've seen a few switch games (which is mainly all I look at) that were marked down... but nothing that hasn't been mentioned already.

In most Walmart stores, I've seen (except the 1 store with tons of games for every system on clearance) a total of 5 or 6 switch games total on clearance. Even with the last hidden clearance sale there was only about 5 switch games. They like keeping them around.

Also, Walmart will never get rid of it's media section because they still sell DVD's. Best buy & Target has moved on mostly from them. Walmart DVD buyers are older and unlikely to buy online. 

It's a shame with BestBuy because sometimes individual stores would have their own unique clearance prices for games. It's how I got Call of Cuthulhu for 10 bucks when it was still full MSRP literally everywhere else.

It's a shame with BestBuy because sometimes individual stores would have their own unique clearance prices for games. It's how I got Call of Cuthulhu for 10 bucks when it was still full MSRP literally everywhere else.
Those days are clearly over ... and sadly, never coming back.

Speaking of games they refused to mark down, at a Walmart that I go to, they still have Hitman absolution special edition for almost 70 bucks for PS3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So those PS5 markdowns months ago that my store kept saying were in stock but were never anywhere to be seen, apparently showed up on the shelf recently…with a shelf tag to boot. That was the only way I knew they were still clearanced.

I was able to pick up Planet Coaster ($4.50) and DMC Special Edition ($3.50)

I was able to pick up Planet Coaster ($4.50) and DMC Special Edition ($3.50)
Man, I tried playing DMC the other day... and I just don't think it's the game for me (I have played other DMC's in the past...but maybe my old man brain just forgot how to play.) I'll probably look to sell mine at some point.

Man, I tried playing DMC the other day... and I just don't think it's the game for me (I have played other DMC's in the past...but maybe my old man brain just forgot how to play.) I'll probably look to sell mine at some point.
i saw dmc 5 and "the pathless" through to the end. Pathless was fun if a little bland. DmC was super over the top and hilarious but the gameplay just felt so meh and generic.

I mean for a princely sum of like 10$ for the pair it was worth it, but at msrp both games woild feel lackluster.

All the games that got marked down back in Sept and October last year are still marked down with the same price if you can find them. I believe after all the this time I actually havent seen these games at all. I was lucky last year with dmc and nioh 2 but I havent seen them at all. I think I still see 2 of the other games other then that they dont sell them no mo which why guess they really did wanted to get rid of them forever.
Im just waiting for more that low of price, scarlet nexus is $25 and I think tales of arise is $35 but maybe one day they try to get rid of them and they go below $10

Has anyone seen the old school beast wars transformers on clearance? I was able to get one. But all the walmarts around have no stock left or just still full price.

Tried my luck today didn't see much. Tales of Arise for PS5 $25 and Scarlett Nexus PS4/PS5 $25. I would have bought Tales of Arise if I had a PS5.

Walmart.com has Plants vs Zombies Battle for Neighborville for the Switch for $9.88. I didn’t have the option for in store pickup so I price matched at Best Buy.com and the local store did a same day delivery with the Geek Squad.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plants-vs-Zombies-Battle-for-Neighborville-Complete-Edition/705795399
I actually signed up for the free 30 day trial of Walmart+ to have it shipped for free, though it was just delivered from a local store.

The promo code TRIPLE10 works on games. But there's a $50 minimum and it has to be available in-store, the website doesn't specify any of this. From what I can see,

EDIT: So I just discovered something scummy. In my quest to figure out the ins and outs of this promo code I discovered that in the event you have a product like a game that a store has on their shelves at full price and you then SWITCH the store to one that has it on clearance, the webpage changes and you can no longer select walmart as a retailer to buy said game from unless you revert the address back. Even if it's in-stock at the clearance store.

There's been a few times when I ordered from Walmart for in-store pick-up and they cancelled my order because supposedly OOS. I walk in there and find 10-20 copies of the item I was looking for. Lazy employees just don't want to do their job.

There's been a few times when I ordered from Walmart for in-store pick-up and they cancelled my order because supposedly OOS. I walk in there and find 10-20 copies of the item I was looking for. Lazy employees just don't want to do their job.
There’s lazy employees everywhere. I ordered something for in store pickup from Home Depot because I didn’t want to go trekking through the store for one thing. They canceled on me claiming OOS. Went in and they had a stack of them (with a thin film of dust so they’d been there for a while).

Walmart is worse than most but in general the majority of places I go to now have horrible customer service like you said. With the worker shortages the customer service is getting even worse because managers are letting their employees get away with more because if they fire them they might have no one to replace them with so they figure it's better to have someone do a lazy or crappy job than to have no one at all. Most places now I've experienced will simply cancel in store pickup orders, grab the totally wrong items, lie about things in general, or are just extremely lazy and have crappy attitudes in general. One manager apologized to me and told me that it's hard to even get his employees to show up to work at all these days so he has to overlook their bad service or he'd have no way to run the store at all.
Please stop.

Walmart is worse than most but in general the majority of places I go to now have horrible customer service like you said. With the worker shortages the customer service is getting even worse because managers are letting their employees get away with more because if they fire them they might have no one to replace them with so they figure it's better to have someone do a lazy or crappy job than to have no one at all. Most places now I've experienced will simply cancel in store pickup orders, grab the totally wrong items, lie about things in general, or are just extremely lazy and have crappy attitudes in general. One manager apologized to me and told me that it's hard to even get his employees to show up to work at all these days so he has to overlook their bad service or he'd have no way to run the store at all.
Truth.

This is IATCAG

I ordered Plants vs Zombies on Friday & got email pick up the same day.  Sunday i showed up and the item it been picked up 20 hours ago. Sat on the car & chit chat for 15 minutes.  Finally, they bring out my copy PVZ (S) and they ran back inside.  I double the check & the case & artwork is damaged on the back. I walked back inside the store and go straight to electronic department. I found 4-5 copies inside the glass case.  WHY picked a damaged copy? 

FYI: They customer service & Management leader is worst of the worst.

This is IATCAG
HandsomeVariableGalapagosalbatross-size_restricted.gif

My local Walmart had the Simpsons cab for $199 last weekend. I couldn’t resist picking it up at that price to go with my TMNT cab!

Apparently this mark down price is pretty widespread at Walmarts, so I’d check your local store ASAP if you’re interested.

bread's done
Back