Walmart YMMV In Store Clearance Thread I (READ THE FAQs)

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Changing this to a FAQs for those that need some help getting these deals.

When I order online it shows X price for in store, but changes to Y price at checkout, what gives?
You can only do in store pickup for the clearance price if the item is available for pick up that day. If it isn't the price will be the online price instead. Sometimes the item will be shipped to that store if it is no longer at that store. It may adjust to the clearance price at pickup but it could also charge you full price for it.

Can I buy the item at one store and return / rebuy at another?
Yes but it is up to the stores discretion to allow you to get it for that stores in store price. If it is an online order, they are supposed to return it to the warehouse it came from so you will not be able to buy it back. It's YMMV on employees following this rule though.

Can I price match a Walmart clearance item at X store?
No. No store, including Walmart, PMs clearance prices. YMMV on getting PMs for these items but it is against every stores policy to do so.

I want to price match this clearance item at another Walmart, will they allow me to?
No WM (or any retailer) PMs the prices of other local stores.

BS said X of an item is in stock, but the employee said it isn't at my store, why did they lie to me?
They didn't. Sometimes items are misplaced, stolen, or the count is off. Employees are not all over the massive stock room nor do they know where every item is. Don't harass an employee or come on here saying they are keeping it for themselves. Sometimes, an item truly isn't in the store.

Why is BS always wrong?
BS is not wrong. Their information is directly from WM systems. Just like all stores, inventory and prices may be wrong for a certain store. Do not rely only on BS.

How do I find clearance items?
Go to the store and scan items, check SD, check this thread. Actually look for something you want.

Where in the store are clearance games located?

Clearance items in general can be on shelves, in dedicated clearance sections or in the stock room. For games specifically, they will be in the videogame glass cases, videogame value game isle or dedicated clearance section. It's random and depends on that stores layout / management.

What is the SKU or item number of this item?
Look it up yourself. There is a search function on this site, on BS site and you can Google the item almost 100% of the time. No one needs to spoon feed you this information and we shouldn't have 20 people asking for the same information that was already posted.

Acronyms to know.
WM = Walmart
PM = Price Match
TRU = Toysrus
BS = Brickseek
SD = Slickdeals

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt they would sell a damage product that cost that much then again it was marked down by a good amount maybe so cosmetic damage. I was gonna ask what was wrong with it but didnt see anyone around at the time. I wouldve bought it if werent for certain reasons.
In my experience Walmart loves to re-package items that may either be damaged in some way or missing parts and mark them down, so be wary about that.

One time I bought a wireless Logitech keyboard that had been marked down and a crucial component, the receiver, was missing, thus making it a glorified paperweight.

Another time I found a box fan on clearance that had been re-sealed and when I got it home and tried it it just made a humming sound but the blades wouldn't spin. When I tried to do an exchange for another one it was like pulling hairs and they gave me a really hard time about it and one of their reps had the audacity to try and dictate that the circumstance surrounding any marked-down item should be that there is something significantly wrong with it. That's how they were trying to justify selling a re-sealed product that was defective and non-functional right out of the box. Just the way they went about the whole thing was insulting. The gall of these people.....

And yet another time I found a vehicle bicycle rack that had also been repackaged and when I opened it it was quite apparent and obvious from the condition and wear to it that it had previously been used by someone.

The bottom line is Walmart is lazy as hell, doesn't properly check things, and will happily re-package items and put them back up for sale that probably shouldn't be. So the moral is, with any marked-down item examine it carefully and should you decide to purchase it always open it and check it before you leave because Walmart's practices can be rather shady.

Walmart is pretty bad about taking returned products, though they always claim they're not.  And a lot of them aren't even resold at a markdown but at full price.  Years ago, my sister bought a Wii for Christmas for her family.  They hook it up and the system already had Miis made on it and previous system data.  So they went to take it back to the store to get an actual new system and Walmart said they couldn't, and said it would've been impossible because they don't take returns like that.  But apparently they did, they just don't want to take responsibility.  Eventually I think they got the whole thing sorted but it involved contacting both Walmart and Nintendo corporate.

And it gets really bad in the world of action figures, where people will buy an action figure, open it up, take out whatever they want and replace it with an older, probably unrelated figure, which then goes back on the shelf.  That's not necessarily a Walmart-specific problem but I just saw the most egregious example of it at a local store, where I saw a box for the AEW Supreme Kenny Omega figure completely gutted of all the accessories and the figure replaced with a Matt Hardy figure whose head had fallen off.  And not even marked down to boot.  Not like the employees would know the difference but essentially they put out a $40+ box containing nothing but a headless sub $20 figure back on the shelf.

The only issue I can think of that I've had was just buying a 5qt container of oil to do an oil change.  I was half way through an oil change and  opened the lid to find the seal was gone and the oil inside was obviously used.  I returned it without issue at all which was both a relief and also a bit sickening because I can see how easy it was to return used oil.  Now I take the time to check the seal and only buy oil that has the clear lid so it's easy to tell the foil seal is still in place (though I still open the lid and verify it).

It was only the one time I've ever encountered that... but still... it weirded me out.  Thankfully I've never had any other issues with broken returned items or anything similar.  Most items on the clearance isle are new items with only a few returns.  I feel like maybe they just donate or do something else with the returns at my local stores.

Back when the original ipod came out I got one and it would not turn on or hold a charge so I returned it to exchange for another one. The second also would not hold a charge. I'm sure they probably put both back into rotation instead of processing them as defective. 3rd time was the charm at least and I had that ipod for 11 years I think before it died.

And it gets really bad in the world of action figures, where people will buy an action figure, open it up, take out whatever they want and replace it with an older, probably unrelated figure, which then goes back on the shelf. That's not necessarily a Walmart-specific problem but I just saw the most egregious example of it at a local store, where I saw a box for the AEW Supreme Kenny Omega figure completely gutted of all the accessories and the figure replaced with a Matt Hardy figure whose head had fallen off. And not even marked down to boot. Not like the employees would know the difference but essentially they put out a $40+ box containing nothing but a headless sub $20 figure back on the shelf.
It happens with all toys (and other products, as other posters noted). For HotWheels, I've seen people swap out off-brand cars into the packages. I've seen it for the premiums ones that now cost $6.49 ea, but I've also seen it for the "regular" ones that used to $0.99 ea. Why someone would go through all that effort to cheat the store out of a $1 toy is mindboggling (go to the store to buy the original car, buy a bunch of off-brand ones, reseal/reglue the off-brand one into the HW package, then go back to the store to return it to get your $1 back). It's probably because of this that the store I go to has been checking HotWheels returns pretty carefully, at least to check to see if the plastic bubble looks tampered with. It's the same with Lego sets; they at least take a look at the tape seals.

But this still doesn't stop people from just opening packages in the aisles and stealing the toys there. I've seen plenty of looted HotWheels cards and Lego boxes in the aisles. One time, I saw a fairly large Star Wars Lego set opened and whoever did it took each bag out and stole the pieces they wanted (likely minifigs) and stashed each open bag around the toy aisles. An employee was restocking the toy shelves and I let her know, partly because I didn't want to be a suspect as I was looking at the Lego sets but also because I felt bad that the mess would only get worse the longer the scattered pieces would be left on the shelves. When I told her, she just looked at me and DGAF. Can't say I'm surprised.

Jeez those are some bad experiences sounds like things you can sue them for. They suppose to let people know if a item been used or not. Having a clearance tag mostly tells you that as well if it was damaged doing shipping. From what y'all said they some time put them back on shelves like they are new. I know walmart usually the place to go for cheaper product but damn from what was said and to add that I've just now noticed walmart is the only store that I've seen that has food item being opened or eaten. Time to start being cautious then. Also the VR2 what kinda damage it looks like kinda look like doing shipping and handling or used.

The only issue I can think of that I've had was just buying a 5qt container of oil to do an oil change. I was half way through an oil change and opened the lid to find the seal was gone and the oil inside was obviously used. I returned it without issue at all which was both a relief and also a bit sickening because I can see how easy it was to return used oil.
It happens with all toys (and other products, as other posters noted). For HotWheels, I've seen people swap out off-brand cars into the packages. I've seen it for the premiums ones that now cost $6.49 ea, but I've also seen it for the "regular" ones that used to $0.99 ea. Why someone would go through all that effort to cheat the store out of a $1 toy is mindboggling (go to the store to buy the original car, buy a bunch of off-brand ones, reseal/reglue the off-brand one into the HW package, then go back to the store to return it to get your $1 back).
Honestly I had the exact same reaction to the above story with the returned motor oil. It's not like it isn't fairly cheap so it begs the question of why someone would even bother. I'm thinking maybe they just did it so they wouldn't have to deal with disposing of it properly. Anyway the really fucked up thing in this case is that the returned product could potentially result in damage to someone's vehicle if they were somehow oblivious and used it.

Walmart is pretty bad about taking returned products, though they always claim they're not. And a lot of them aren't even resold at a markdown but at full price. Years ago, my sister bought a Wii for Christmas for her family. They hook it up and the system already had Miis made on it and previous system data. So they went to take it back to the store to get an actual new system and Walmart said they couldn't, and said it would've been impossible because they don't take returns like that. But apparently they did, they just don't want to take responsibility. Eventually I think they got the whole thing sorted but it involved contacting both Walmart and Nintendo corporate.

And it gets really bad in the world of action figures, where people will buy an action figure, open it up, take out whatever they want and replace it with an older, probably unrelated figure, which then goes back on the shelf. That's not necessarily a Walmart-specific problem but I just saw the most egregious example of it at a local store, where I saw a box for the AEW Supreme Kenny Omega figure completely gutted of all the accessories and the figure replaced with a Matt Hardy figure whose head had fallen off. And not even marked down to boot. Not like the employees would know the difference but essentially they put out a $40+ box containing nothing but a headless sub $20 figure back on the shelf.
Wait, you’re telling me you didn’t want the ultra-rare Headless Hardy in the misprint Kenny Omega box? It’s a Walmart exclusive!

Wait, you’re telling me you didn’t want the ultra-rare Headless Hardy in the misprint Kenny Omega box? It’s a Walmart exclusive!
The real question is when did wrestling figures start costing $40? They were no more than $6 or $7 each when I was a kid. I think I got a ring and a titantron for less than $40.

The real question is when did wrestling figures start costing $40? They were no more than $6 or $7 each when I was a kid. I think I got a ring and a titantron for less than $40.
The wrestling figure market (and figures in general) has blown up in recent time.

You have your "Basics" in the $10 range, which just have basic arm/leg articulation and no accessories. These are the ones you buy for the kids and not worry about busting up or losing parts.

Then you have your "Elites" for WWE or the regular line for AEW in the $20 range. These have additional points of articulation and accessories in some form, which could include clothing or interchangeable heads and hands to capture different expressions.

Then you have your "Ultimates" for WWE or "Supremes" for AEW in the $40 range, which have yet more points of articulation and yet more interchangeable parts. Personally, I think these are kinda overkill and will only get them on sale but still.

So in my example earlier, someone took one of the Supremes, stripped the box of the figure AND accessories, replaced it with a broken $20 figure, took it back to the store, got their money back (and then some) and Walmart put it back up on the shelf, not even marking it down.

Clearance time at my store again. This time in bins. Highlights:

PS5:
Callisto Protocol $10
Wild Hearts $15
Security Breach $10

SERIES X:
Street Fighter 6 $20
GTA Trilogy $10

SWITCH:
Pikmin 3 Deluxe $20
Shin Megami V $15
DBZ Kakarot $15
Cruisin Blast $10

[attachment=38091:20230729_131055.jpg]

Clearance time at my store again. This time in bins. Highlights:

PS5:
Callisto Protocol $10
Wild Hearts $15
Security Breach $10

SERIES X:
Street Fighter 6 $20
GTA Trilogy $10

SWITCH:
Pikmin 3 Deluxe $20
Shin Megami V $15
DBZ Kakarot $15
Cruisin Blast $10

attachicon.gif
20230729_131055.jpg
Lucky. Brickseek shows full price everywhere near me. I would have bought several of those.

Lucky. Brickseek shows full price everywhere near me. I would have bought several of those.
Brickseek doesn't work for these. These are local store clearances you have to be lucky to have a good walmart that do clearances. Also you'll know by yellow tags or the word clearance brick usually shows games that are cheap that isnt marked from what I seen but of course I could be wrong.

Any ways I wish to see SF6 at my walmart clearance.

Brickseek doesn't work for these. These are local store clearances you have to be lucky to have a good walmart that do clearances. Also you'll know by yellow tags or the word clearance brick usually shows games that are cheap that isnt marked from what I seen but of course I could be wrong.

Any ways I wish to see SF6 at my walmart clearance.
Is the only way to check what the price actually is with scanning the barcode in the app or a price checker?

The app price scanner just does the online prices for me even in store mode with w+

If there is a way to use the app to get the store register price, I would love to know how!

The app price scanner just does the online prices for me even in store mode with w+

If there is a way to use the app to get the store register price, I would love to know how!
It's hit or miss for me. Even in store more sometimes it does show the register price, sometimes the online price.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Street Fighter 6 for $20 already, am I missing something? Why so low so fast?
Local store Walmart clearance is entirely manager's discretion, could be a mistake, or they just really need shelf space, or for some reason at that store they got a lot of copies that didn't sell. Could even be a grift being done by employees that just happened to get noticed here.

Just got back from running an errand that put me at my local Walmart. Can also confirm the PS5 version of The Witcher 3 is stickered there at $19 flat. Also noticed that copies of Forspoken (PS5) are stickered at $25 flat. Goat Simulator 3 was also in the bargain section for $19.83. In all cases, the pricing stickers looked to be standard—not clearance yellow or each game individually stickered with the lower price. Not sure if that means those prices are now standardized or what. And for reference, this store rarely if ever puts any gaming items on clearance. Figured it was worth mentioning.

If I had to guess, Forspoken will likely be cheaper during the holiday season. And Goat Simulator 3 has been cheaper digitally. But for people who might not have a complete copy of The Witcher 3 and have a PS5, $19 is a pretty good price for all the content included. Looking at the digital version, psprices is showing the lowest the latest version has gone is $24.99.

Is the only way to check what the price actually is with scanning the barcode in the app or a price checker?
I don't bother with app scanner cause I know 1 of my Wal-Mart's has clearance tags on them and they don't show up on brickseek and no need for walmart scanner cause they would have a tag on them letting you know they on clearance. My other Wal-Mart's doesn't have the tags on them and I got them scanned and get full price. Looking at other people post and hoping your walmart have it them on clearance isnt recommended unless you know your walmart does gaming clearances casue they local. At times multiple of us did have the same games on clearance but different prices like wo long was $15 at one guy WM and mine was $33 but its still local. Brickseek would be for nationwide like prices that arent on a clearance tag and would need the app to let you know or go in and scan those certain games.

I don't know if electronics dept. works differently because I haven't found clearance games at WM in a long time, but brickseek works fine for clearanced toys around me. It's just the inventory is ferhoodled and useless. Also app scanning is still valid (on toys at least) because stores are hit or miss with updating stickers.   

Something that bugs me about a Walmart one town over is that they will tag games clearance, but keep them full price. That is until they randomly decide to mark them down all at once. Then it becomes a feeding frenzy.

Here are the Playstation cabinets. Xbox and Switch are about the same.
[attachment=38099:20230730_185418.jpg][attachment=38100:20230730_185414.jpg]

Picked up Arms, Live a Live, and Triangle Strategy.[attachment=38101:IMG_9007.jpeg]

What is going on can you no longer look an item up on brickseek by name for the sku?
Looks like they did some kind of update to the site and it's not working for me either. Oh, what a surprise that Brickseek broke even more functionality!

edit: it looks like you need to be logged-in now to do this. After signing in it comes up with item SKU search results but nothing happens when clicking on them and I made sure it's not an ad-blocker issue. I can't even do a stock check right now on an item that I had bookmarked for example. Their shit is all messed up right now. Good job asshats.

Looks like they did some kind of update to the site and it's not working for me either. Oh, what a surprise that Brickseek broke even more functionality!

edit: I think maybe you need to have an account and be signed in now. Looks like they are trying to promote memberships more. Tried creating a free account but it just keeps coming back with an error. Good job asshats.
well im not paying for that come on...

Something that bugs me about a Walmart one town over is that they will tag games clearance, but keep them full price. That is until they randomly decide to mark them down all at once. Then it becomes a feeding frenzy.

Here are the Playstation cabinets. Xbox and Switch are about the same.
20230730_185418.jpg 20230730_185414.jpg
How do you know when the yellow tagged items get marked down? Do you just get someone in electronics to scan each one or do you just use the Walmart app?

How do you know when the yellow tagged items get marked down? Do you just get someone in electronics to scan each one or do you just use the Walmart app?
I have asked people to scan it in the past, but the app will tell me if it is on clearance most of the time. I have Walmart Plus if that makes any difference.

You can upgrade to the PS5 version for free.
I didn't think it was a free upgrade thought it was a $10 upgrade. Also yeah I do care for the ps5 case oddly enough but to late now I dont feel like going back in a few days.

Edit: It was still there, I got it. Thanks for letting me know that it had a free upgrade. Sucks that its not a ps5 case but its fine I guess. Also makes me think since this was $30 a long with other games in most area and now this last copy was $15 makes me think wo long ps4 which is also $30 might go down to $15 when its the last copy and it also has a free ps5 upgrade.

My walmart had a bunch of $10 PS4 and Switch games 2 weeks ago, I bought them, now they are back in stock at normal price. First time I have seen that happen.

My local Walmarts have nothing. I saw about 200 copies of Cyberpunk at 1 and 50 copies of Pac World Remake at the other. Nothing at all on clearance.

My walmart had a bunch of $10 PS4 and Switch games 2 weeks ago, I bought them, now they are back in stock at normal price. First time I have seen that happen.
That's happened at mine before. Mine is still selling Xenoblade Chronicles now at full when I picked it up for $10 from the same store a year & half ago.

That's happened at mine before. Mine is still selling Xenoblade Chronicles now at full when I picked it up for $10 from the same store a year & half ago.
Mine never dropped it to 10 and still has them -_- but I did get lucky and got kirby there for 10 at least along with the mario and luigi stuff.

I am amazed they still have all these copies of cyberpunk. Didn't they clearance them out at most stores for like 10-5$
The walmart that a lot of cyberpunk for $11 for like a year+ all disappeared in my area. Now you just normally see it at $20. I still regret not getting it for $5 at best buy way back.

The walmart that a lot of cyberpunk for $11 for like a year+ all disappeared in my area. Now you just normally see it at $20. I still regret not getting it for $5 at best buy way back.
Yeah they were all marked at $20. I just laughed that they wasted so much space in the display cabinet on all those copies that had to be sitting there for years like they expect someone to walk in and buy them.

bread's done
Back