Wanna talk to someone local that you can UNDERSTAND when calling Customer service?

You know what I don't want? A portion of my computer's sticker price to include the salary of the CSR that spends 15 minutes explaining to Grandma Catlady her monitor is black because she didn't plug it in.

Nothing's free. I'm glad Dell took an A'la Carte approach instead of making everyone share the cost.

Hmm... ok, not a response I was expecting. Then again it doesn't affect me because I've never bought and at this point never will by a Dell. I also, don't call customer service anyway.

What a dick move. I build my own PCs, but if I spent several hundred dollars on a new machine, I'd be a little pissed if I had to pay extra for assistance without a language barrier.

Simple explanation, those in India are willing work through the night so that they can talk to people in the US during the heavy hours and they are willing to work for a lot less then people in the US. They also go through a language class to talk more "American" instead of talking more in a British style English.

They are just trying to make a living so if you have a problem with them go ahead and pay that extra money. I have been frustrated with CS people just like everyone else, but have yet to be $13 a month frustrated.

Plus, how much do people think it will actually help them if they are talking to someone from the US, you might actually get more problems with a US guy who knows a lot about PCs and can tell the person who is calling is an idiot.

This is a great move. Make the people who need the assistance pay for it. I doubt it will show a price drop in Dells but it makes sense. I have never called Dells support, but I have called other support from India and while its like talking to a simpleton, it isnt as bad as people make it to be. Just something to complain about I suppose.

Err..I can't get past how racist this sounds. You have to pay for an American, or you'll be stuck with ones from India or the Philippines? Geez.. glad I don't own a dell.

Way to make the US economy worst Dell.
I imagine more US CSRs will be out of jobs once very few people actually pay for this.

What a dick move on Dell's part. I've had to call tech service lines enough (working in IT) to have already been annoyed by their handling of calls. How many times have I heard the phrase "please hold, while I transfer you to somebody who can help" because cheap labor from India does not immediately equal more qualified.

Well i find it more funny than outrageous.
I mean it is an "extra service" sort to speak, and your basically paying for a slightly more convenient chat.

But luckily I'm a huge computer geek and will never have to call for any tech help ever, hell i probably know more than most of them.
When i do run into any computer problems, google and some troubleshooting is all i need.

Consider that Geek Squad is a thriving business. People who need help must be prepared to pay if they cannot be bothered to learn.

Guys you have to understand most people arent like we are. Most people are simpletons that don't understand why you can't play Mario on the Xbox

They've had something like this for some time (at least for businesses). If you have the need to call them, it works fine and you are rarely on hold. That being said, if you use their online chat support you always get someone who understands you and typically don't have to jump though nearly as many hoops to get what you need.

Indians aren't willing to work for less money, the cost of living is exponentially lower in India. They get paid less than a low wage entry level American CSR, but for them its a fairly high paying professional job. Lets not make them out to be these heroic people who are willing to live in abject poverty simply to be helpful to stupid Americans.

They are simply a product of a larger economic situation which could just as easily turn against them. I've got no problem with them, they're just trying to make a living, but I hope for their sake that they take this opportunity to build up their own technical base while it lasts, because it won't last forever. China is poised to undercut them down the road, and if our economy keeps tanking, they won't be any cheaper anyway.

[quote name='slickkill77']Guys you have to understand most people arent like we are. Most people are simpletons that don't understand why you can't play Mario on the Xbox[/quote]

are you being sarcastic? Because you can play mario on an xbox ;)

On topic: Like someone else said, Dell is basically saying ya our call center's suck. Either deal with it or pay more.

I am Indian and I cannot understand what the Indian people on the phone say half the time when I use Dell's customer service. That is why I try to get my laptop problems resolved using their chat thing. Customer service is a big reason why I got a HP laptop now.

bread's done
Back