Want to buy new wireless router. Suggestions?

Deadpool

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I presently have a Linksys WRT54GS and i'm tired of not being able to play online with a few select friends on my FL even though my NAT is set to OPEN. Any recommendations for me? I'd really like it to be plug and play.

And yes i know compatible routers are on the LIVE page but there is no info on reliability.

Thank you. :D

Try flashing it with the DD-WRT firmware and enabling UPnP that actually works. I had all kinds of problems with the stock Linksys firmware as well with my WRT54G.

I'm willing to spend upwards of $100 bucks or so. I just want to be able to play with EVERY friend on my lists for 360 and PS3. Other than that i don't mind. If it helps any i only use the wireless access for my ps3 and pc, i direct connect to the router the 360.

Your NAT is probably not actually open. The Xbox 360 only checks the first device you are connected to (router) and doesnt check through the modem. i had the same problem. The PS3 checks everything. Make sure the PS3 says your NAT is open.

You already seem pretty dead set on a new router; but from personal experience, a Linksys WRT54g (and the subsequent models, older the better) combined with DD-WRT are about as good as you get. Have been through 3 different Linksys/DLink models, and this combination has worked the best so far. Several different Buffalo brand routers are suggested. Flashing the firmware is pretty easy, and it can turn a good $50 router (in the case of the WRT54g) into the feature-set equivalent of a professional router.

[quote name='halfbent']You already seem pretty dead set on a new router; but from personal experience, a Linksys WRT54g (and the subsequent models, older the better) combined with DD-WRT are about as good as you get. Have been through 3 different Linksys/DLink models, and this combination has worked the best so far. Several different Buffalo brand routers are suggested. Flashing the firmware is pretty easy, and it can turn a good $50 router (in the case of the WRT54g) into the feature-set equivalent of a professional router.[/QUOTE]

I am going to try that. Thank you. I was just set on a new router because i've had this thing for 3 years and have nothing but problems with it.

there is realy no reason for you to spend a 100$ on a router
i a tech experte at best buy and i use a trendnet its a 300 mbps and its onli priced at 49$ there another model at 89$ but the one at 49 give me a steady 270 mbps i got my xbox360 plug on my computer in order to use the wireless antena on it which is a trendnet to and got all my other 6 computer and a ps3 plug on the wireless and never have any slowdown or deconection got that deal at best buy

Okay i flashed the router, but now it wont accept my damn password. help!

*edit* never mind it reset to root. thanks for all the help

Now the stupid Xbox can't find an ip. My PC and PS3 work fine wireless but the hardwired xbox doesn't. grumble grumble

*edit*
fixed. I had to unable DNSMasq for DHCP and DNSMasq for DNS

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back