Want to get a psp, need advice

dcm1602

CAGiversary!
Alright off the bat im gonna say I know NOTHING (well almost nothing) about psp/psp go/vita any of that

But im a hardcore RPG guy, and truthfully all the major consoles are boring the shit out of me.

And the psp's seem to have a ton of awesome rpgs that im incredibly interested in playing

I have a ps3/dualshock controllers

Ideally id like to be able to play on my tv and use a dualshock controller (if able)

But id also like to be able to rent games on gamefly as I can beat games pretty quickly and am not a fan of replaying

I dont think you can play physical regular psp games on a vita correct (if i rented them from gamefly or w.e)

In which case is a psp 3000 my best bet ?

Also any advice on where/when to try to get a good deal on either a vita or psp much appreciated.

Thanks a ton !

Unfortunately, you can't do all of those things. The only PSP that can pair with a dual shock is a the PSP GO and the GO doesn't have a physical slot for UMD discs, it is download only. The Vita also can't play UMD discs and does not support all PS1 games.
standard PSP = can output to TV, must be controlled with system, can play UMD discs
PSP GO = can output to tv, can be paired with dual shock 3, can't play UMD discs
Vita = can't output to TV, must be controlled with system, has a second stick, can't play UMD discs, can play Vita games.

Yeah, guardian_owl basically got it covered.
A PSP 3000 would be your best bet. Get component cables for the PSP 3000 and just use the PSP as a controller.

I'm still waiting for a version of the Vita to kill my need of my PSP Go. Vita needs tv output and dual shock 3 pairing.

It depends on the type of RPG you favor. If you are looking for Western RPGs, such as Fallout 3 or the Elder Scrolls, look elsewhere. That genre did not have large presence on the PSP.

If it is Japanese RPGs that you favor, then pull up a chair. The PSP has a very solid selection of high-quality JRPGs, both original titles as well as re-makes of older titles. Some of them can even be had for a decent price. Jean D'arc is an especially fine title, and can usually be found used for less than $10. Lunar: The Silver Star Story is a remake of 32-bit classic, and well worth playing.

Acquiring a PSP itself isn't hard. They are common to find in used game stores, and can usually be found for less than $100. You can buy the PSP-3000 brand new at most retailers for around $100. If you are handy, you can try buying an older used model and refurbishing it, but this approach is only for those who enjoy system repair/maintenance. I bought a used $40 PSP-1000 in mid-range condition, and refurbished it for around $30 extra cost. All told I paid about $70, and ended up with a great condition PSP with a brand-new screen and custom gold exterior.

If you don't want to be putting in a lot of extra work, but still want good condition, than just fork out the $100 for a new PSP-3000. You'll get brand-new condition with a lot less hassle. The extra $30 or so will be worth it. Refurbishing systems, especially hand-helds, is for crazy hobbyists like me.

With the way Sony is currently handling their portable lines, there is no one solution. This is especially true if you want the option of physical media. A PSP-3000 is one of your best options, as it allows for UMD discs as well as digital downloads. The real trick is in making sure you secure the necessary memory. The Memory-stick format that the original PSPs use is going out of fashion in the camera industry, and the supply is seriously starting to dry up. Finding larger memory sticks is becoming increasingly difficult, especially at cheap prices. One of the easiest places to look is Target. They still usually stock 4Gig sticks in their video game section for $15 each. If you keep your eyes peeled, you might be able to find a larger memory stick on sale at Fry's Electronics, Amazon, or Newegg. If you do, snatch it up fast, they won't be around much longer.

[quote name='Richard Kain']It depends on the type of RPG you favor. If you are looking for Western RPGs, such as Fallout 3 or the Elder Scrolls, look elsewhere. That genre did not have large presence on the PSP.

If it is Japanese RPGs that you favor, then pull up a chair. The PSP has a very solid selection of high-quality JRPGs, both original titles as well as re-makes of older titles. Some of them can even be had for a decent price. Jean D'arc is an especially fine title, and can usually be found used for less than $10. Lunar: The Silver Star Story is a remake of 32-bit classic, and well worth playing.

Acquiring a PSP itself isn't hard. They are common to find in used game stores, and can usually be found for less than $100. You can buy the PSP-3000 brand new at most retailers for around $100. If you are handy, you can try buying an older used model and refurbishing it, but this approach is only for those who enjoy system repair/maintenance. I bought a used $40 PSP-1000 in mid-range condition, and refurbished it for around $30 extra cost. All told I paid about $70, and ended up with a great condition PSP with a brand-new screen and custom gold exterior.

If you don't want to be putting in a lot of extra work, but still want good condition, than just fork out the $100 for a new PSP-3000. You'll get brand-new condition with a lot less hassle. The extra $30 or so will be worth it. Refurbishing systems, especially hand-helds, is for crazy hobbyists like me.

With the way Sony is currently handling their portable lines, there is no one solution. This is especially true if you want the option of physical media. A PSP-3000 is one of your best options, as it allows for UMD discs as well as digital downloads. The real trick is in making sure you secure the necessary memory. The Memory-stick format that the original PSPs use is going out of fashion in the camera industry, and the supply is seriously starting to dry up. Finding larger memory sticks is becoming increasingly difficult, especially at cheap prices. One of the easiest places to look is Target. They still usually stock 4Gig sticks in their video game section for $15 each. If you keep your eyes peeled, you might be able to find a larger memory stick on sale at Fry's Electronics, Amazon, or Newegg. If you do, snatch it up fast, they won't be around much longer.[/QUOTE]

def JRPGS

I almost bought a psp years ago JUST for Lunar + War of the Lions

One question

If I buy a brand new PSP do they come with a memory stick ?

Not necessarily one big enough to download full games on, but so that I can save games I rent via gamefly ?

Thats probably my biggest concern

Would I even need a memory stick if I didnt plan on buying games digitally ?

I don't believe that most of the current packages come with a Memory Stick, so yes, you would need to buy one to save your progress.

PSP games don't actually take up as much space as most people think. Even a moderately-sized Memory Stick will allow you to store several PSP or PS1 games. If you don't want to spend big on a Memory Stick, just pick up the 4-Gig MS from Target. It's only $15, which is reasonable, (though not a bargain) and will be more than enough for any saved games, a few downloadable games, and even some music and videos. You WILL need at least one Memory Stick, though, otherwise you won't be able to save your progress. (the curse of an optical format)

[quote name='dcm1602']100$ a good deal ?

Should I wait for E3 ?[/QUOTE]

for a PSP??? alone

That is way over priced

you probally would get a PSP used on ebay with a few rpgs games for 100

HELL I would sell you one with some RPG games if my PSP wasnt acting werid sometimes (system keeps trying to shut itself down when you play it sometimes)

if your looking at RPGS for the system (buying ) let me know i got a ton of them im going to be dumping very soon (cant stand the small PSP screen after playing the vita)

ALSO To hook it to a TV you probally wont have a problem you need a NEWER TV (Flat screen) these systems will not hook up to FAT ASS TVS As far as i know

[quote name='slidecage']for a PSP??? alone

That is way over priced

you probally would get a PSP used on ebay with a few rpgs games for 100

HELL I would sell you one with some RPG games if my PSP wasnt acting werid sometimes (system keeps trying to shut itself down when you play it sometimes)

if your looking at RPGS for the system (buying ) let me know i got a ton of them im going to be dumping very soon (cant stand the small PSP screen after playing the vita)

ALSO To hook it to a TV you probally wont have a problem you need a NEWER TV (Flat screen) these systems will not hook up to FAT ASS TVS As far as i know[/QUOTE]

I dunno 100$ for a brand new psp 3000 was the best I saw

On Ebay i keep seeing 60-80$ for used ones, 100$ for used ones with a few games

Thought 100$ for a brand new one would be mediocre

I don't find the memory stick issue to be that dire. I just got a pro duo adapter w 32 GB for $30 on amazon

You can play UMD games on PSPgo if you rip them and use CFW to launch the ISOs. For me that nullified the biggest drawback of the model. With the addition of 16GB built-in storage, bluetooth and a smaller form factor I found it the best of the lot. Maybe not viable for you since you'll be renting all your titles though.

bread's done
Back