Want to grab an old school system...

rscaramelo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
....which would be the most fun to collect and play? I'm not a completer and I'm not a real collector but I have an itch to grab something pre-ps2.

I'm looking at either a Dreamcast or a Saturn because I still see plenty of them around some of the second hand stores I go to. I had a Dreamcast briefly but never delved into much with it. I don't know anything about the Saturn short of NiGHTS being a massive game with it's fans.

I've had all the Nintendo systems before and am not really interested in going back in that direction. I plan on playing so games need to hold up somewhat.

thanks

RC

Dreamcast is great, it has some of my favorite games on it. The problem with it though, is most of it's best games are available elsewhere on a newer console.

Also if you want something even older a Genesis or SNES would be great choices.

[quote name='whoknows']

Also if you want something even older a Genesis or SNES would be great choices.[/QUOTE]

I liked Genesis a lot more during those days (much better sports titles). But I would say SNES would be your best bet. More of those games hold up still.

Here's another vote for Dreamcast. Many great games that will keep you busy for awhile. It was such an underrated system. Dont even get me started about the imports.

While Saturn as a bunch of great games, several of the best are expensive. If you want a cheaper road to old school I'd say Dreamcast. What kinda games are you looking for?

Dreamcast hands down. A lot of the harder to find games have gotten a little bit cheaper as of late. Ive got like 66 dreamcast games total. And I still play it more then any other system. I just needed to find a cabinet or some Hori sticks.

If you're not going to be importing anything, I'd say Dreamcast. Some of it's stuff got ported to the PS2 but the ports aren't as good as the originals.

If you want to import stuff from Japan, the Saturn has an incredible library of JP exclusives in terms of fighting and shmup games.

[quote name='rscaramelo']I like shmups, fighters, sports ( I miss tecmo ), side-to-side scrolling type of games....

RC[/QUOTE]
Dude, some of the best fighters are on the Saturn and the Dreamcast. You should check out http://www.racketboy.com/retro

He's got a lot of best of/hidden gems/etc lists for all the old consoles. Also it's just a cool retro community.

I know you said Dreamcast or Saturn, but you should get a Turbografx/PC Engine. One of the coolest systems ever, and no region protection. And you'll love the shmup collection it has. Plus, there's just nothing as satisfying as holding dozens of HuCards in your hands. Get the TurboDuo if you're willing to invest a bit of money, as many of the CD games are fantastic. Also they can be burned and played with no problem.

And I second checking out racketboy's site, he has plenty of coverage of the gems of this underrated piece of hardware as well as that other cult gaming system everyone's recommending.

The Hucards are region protected, the CDs aren't.

I'm not trying to crap on your idea, I love me some NEC consoles but unless you get an adaptor for the Hucards, you can't have just one system set up for all the games.

[quote name='Halo05']The Hucards are region protected, the CDs aren't.

I'm not trying to crap on your idea, I love me some NEC consoles but unless you get an adaptor for the Hucards, you can't have just one system set up for all the games.[/quote]
Ah, my bad.

If you like fighters, Saturn hands down as the imports are amazing. The Dreamcast has great fighters, but they have almost all been released one way or another on PS2/XBX. The two fighters that lead the pack and may never be repronted because of contracts are X-Men vs Street Fighter and Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter. With shooters you Galactic Attack (Layer Section) that I don't believe has been reprinted. If your down for RPGs and have some cash, the incredible Dragon Force is on the Saturn (as well as its import sequel) and the ever elusive Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force 3. Def a great system and the most underrated manstream console.

I'm still amazed at the Dreamcast whenever I pick it back up because it feels like it came out ages ago, but it was really only last gen.

Any chance you can point me in the right direction to see how to get Tecmo on there? I'm going Dreamcast and maybe Saturn too.

Also, forgot about the RacketBoy site. Thanks for mentioning that. I'm going to bust out the SNES again thanks to the site.

RC

[quote name='kevlar51']I'm still amazed at the Dreamcast whenever I pick it back up because it feels like it came out ages ago, but it was really only last gen.[/QUOTE]
I know, it's hard to believe. Doesn't seem like that long ago it launched and I was dying to get one and I finally did a few months before it's death. It's going to be 10 years old soon...makes me feel old :p

[quote name='kevlar51']I'm still amazed at the Dreamcast whenever I pick it back up because it feels like it came out ages ago, but it was really only last gen.[/quote]

Same here. I was at 1st surprised to see people recommending it as a "pre-PS2, old school system" as the OP said he was looking for. It was the same gen of consoles!

But, it was also a neglected platform by many, so if you're unfamiliar w/ the DC, OP, I recommend it also. True, most of the better games have been ported by now, but there are at least a few worth going back for, and the systems are cheap.

And I'll also 2nd the Genesis.

[quote name='ramatut4001']Dude, some of the best fighters are on the Saturn and the Dreamcast. You should check out http://www.racketboy.com/retro

He's got a lot of best of/hidden gems/etc lists for all the old consoles. Also it's just a cool retro community.[/quote]

Nothing to add to this thread other than THANK YOU for this site. I kind of want to shut off my 360 and head downstairs to my wall of classics.

personally i'd get a SNES.. its a fun system to get games for.. I still think it has the best gameplay to age ratio of any older system.. NES doesn't hold up very well.. Genesis IMO doesn't hold up very well.. there is just SO much to play on the SNES

but really you should look at a GBA or a GBA thing for you GC because some of the best SNES/Genesis era games are on the GBA

I personally agree with the SNES, however, if want to go the more obscure route, come join us in the Sega Master System thread. Decent Games on that console that havent been reprinted (to my knowledge) are the Original Shinobi, The Ninja, Miracke Warriors, Gorvellius, Zillion, and a bunch more. It can also play games from across the pond which makes the Sonic Games (also on game gear and Sonic Mega Collection) pretty cheap and, if you can afford it, there is an exclusive Ninja Gaiden for the Master System that plays like the NES ones. Its a pretty good game that never made it to the US. It is not the American arcade game (which was ported to the Lynx) that people sometimes think it is.

Dude, go NEo Geo. Granted, if you have a Wii, you might get some of their best games, but there's nothing like King of Monsters and Crossed Swords and Nam69. I feel the Sega Master System was something else.

i vote for the dreamcast. some german developers are still developing games for that system. but it does have a solid game library.. the shmups were particularly great and the not to mention street fighter was very big on the system. although if you are an rpg or action games fan the DC is sorta weak on these departments.

I'm actually looking at a GP2X now. Any opinions? How about an older PSP with the proper firmware? I have an updated PSP slim now that I won't tinker with.

RC

[quote name='rscaramelo'] How about an older PSP with the proper firmware? [/quote]
for collectivity you mean? i would choose a japanese system. they have alot of colors to choose from. i dont believe that psp games have region locks (i think they're trying to do what the DS and GB did). maybe the metal gear psp.. although its expensive, but truely a great collectible. the blue psp is really nice. the us black system is bland and boring unless you have the slim already.

bread's done
Back