WANTED: Bose Cinemate II

Do you lack the space for a real system? 3-400 for this thing is ridiculous. I would buy a real system if you have the space.

I thought this thread would be filled with "Bose sucks"

You might want to look into other systems because Bose is usually very over priced and uses tricks to mimic good sound :/

Well, the reason I wanted this was because I wanted to keep it simple. I don't want to be running cables all over my room with a 5.1 system and I don't know a whole lot about home theater systems.
I've heard this system before, those two little speakers aren't bad; but if you have any suggestions for a comparable 2.1 system that would be nice. :)
*edit*
I found this on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-SP1...peaker/dp/B001AVRD62/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Umm... I don't know how I would setup the 5 speakers though... they don't necessarily have to be behind the couch do they? I really don't know crap about this stuff. :p
Also, would I need a receiver?

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, you would need a reciever. If you want help we need to know the following to best help:

what you will be hooking up to it, ie:tv,360,ps3,cable box,etc
your max budget for this purchase.

If you give me that info I can recommend some good alternatives. Consideering you want this cheap, I'd say a cheaper avr(audio video receiver) would be the way to go. It will give you what you need and down the road you can upgrade if you like. By cheaper I mean less of the higher cost features. It will have a digital audio connection (toslink). You will use this to hook up sound from all your components. The video from these components will be by component connection or rca. I haven't looked but am guessing for a $100 or so you can get a receiver. Then the cheapest subwoofer worth a half a crap will be the energy from costco for $100. Found elsewhere as well for that price I believe. Then we add a pair of decent bookshelves and you have a 2.1 setup that the front 2 bookshelves are worthy of using in the future in a 5.1 setup. I say this since you don't care for all the speaker wires around the room. If you don't mind the speaker wires you can get a 5.1 speaker package for $280 (energy take classic here) +the energy sub I mentioned before. These 5.0's were $150 and may still be found fo that price. I searched quick. So that is $280+ ($100-$150 for a reciever) =$380-$430 depending on the receiver. Cables and speaker wire at monoprice.com for cheap! You get my drift so throw us some info and I can lead you down a better path than these crappy setups that are overpriced.

I was being nice before by not stating what the other poster said about Bose BTW. Yes, they do suck!

I would like to know the reason why people say "Bose Sucks" Is it the price point? Have any of these people actually heard the system before, or are they just agreeing with the masses... It seems interesting to me that a company that's been around since the 60's can continue to survive when nobody likes their product.

[quote name='poopants']I would like to know the reason why people say "Bose Sucks" Is it the price point? Have any of these people actually heard the system before, or are they just agreeing with the masses... It seems interesting to me that a company that's been around since the 60's can continue to survive when nobody likes their product.[/QUOTE]

Price, sound quality, and customer service are the most popular reasons.

No highs, no lows? Must be Bose.

[quote name='poopants']I would like to know the reason why people say "Bose Sucks" Is it the price point? Have any of these people actually heard the system before, or are they just agreeing with the masses... It seems interesting to me that a company that's been around since the 60's can continue to survive when nobody likes their product.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mtxbass1']No highs, no lows? Must be Bose.[/QUOTE]
THIS!

The biggest reason is for what you pay you can get so much more that is better sound and quality. If all you ever hear is bose you will never know the difference. The best thing Bose does right is marketing. I'm not going to say it sounds bad, just for what you pay you can do better.

research Disco Smiley in monitors(speakers).. the average person doesn't have an ear for it, to tell differences in balances and sounds within a monitor.

[quote name='rmb']yes, you would need a reciever. If you want help we need to know the following to best help:

what you will be hooking up to it, ie:tv,360,ps3,cable box,etc
your max budget for this purchase.
[/QUOTE]
I'll be hooking it up to a 360, TV, Bluray player and a cable box.
My TV does have an optical out(toslink) and my max budget is 500, but I'd like to go lower if possible. I'm not much of an audiophile and I'm easily impressed, so I don't need anything really fancy. Actually, a pair of bookshelves that can be expanded to 5.1 later is a good idea. I guess just somewhere for me to start.
Also, thanks for the great information! Much appreciated...

I will add to this later but I think these would be the cheapest and best bang for speakers. Shrike has these as well. He posted it in another thread.

Energy C-50 bookshelves buy them here.
2 for the front= $89
1 gor a center= $44.50
Total= $133.50

Right now that would leave finding an AVR and a sub. The $100 energy sub would be the best for the price. I'll see what I find for AVR's later tonight. If I could find an avr cheap enough I believe spending 50-60 more on a sub would gain way more bang for your system. FYI, I'd buy 3 of those bookshelves since you want your center channel to match your fronts. You won't find a center for this price and another bookshelf works great for this. I know people that use a floorstanding speaker as a center!
Maybe shrike will pop in and throw some suggestions at you.

Support for the C-50

To each their own though I think one would have to spend more than that to get something good. Is it powered? If not I believe you would still need a receiver.

Haven't had much time to look but newegg has a sony avr for 220 shipped.
I'm not a huge sony fan but it would have everything needed. Probably find something for less though or a better model for tha price. With that one a 3.1 setup with avr and buying cables and wire at monoprice you'd be spending just about $500. There are some home theater in a box deals to be had for around $300 that would probably satisfy you. They wouldn't have the future use/upgrade option as one of these other setups but would probably be much better than the bose. These HTIB solutions I speak of would be 5.1 typically. If you really wanted to spend closer to 300 I can toss a couple up for you to look at.

ADDED
Just saw this and realized it fits in to what your looking for and budget. I haven't researched it but it is a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115232.

For $130 more the egg has this onkyo 7.1

yamaha for $300 ish

I personally would either go the $300 HTIB route or go the $500 route where you pick the stuff up. Personally, on the $500 way, I'd buy 5 of thosee energy c-50's for $220 and find a cheap receiver for $150-$200 and skip a sub for now. You can always add one later. The difference in quality on a $100 sub to a $200 is quite a bit. It would be worth the wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back