Wanted: Penny Arcade book from Sakuracon -- any CAGs going?

abilyk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (100%)
Hey everybody,

As I'm sure some of you have already read, the guys at Penny Arcade are selling a bunch of Penny Arcade: Year 1 books at Sakuracon this weekend. They've been in a legal battle with the book's publisher for 5 years or so, but the issue's finally been resolved, they've received the rest of the books, and they're selling them at conventions only. I'm in the midwest and can't make it, but, if any CAGs are going to Sakuracon I'd definitely appreciate the hookup. I'd be glad to pay cost + shipping + extra (via Paypal or other means), or I do have some pretty decent stuff I could use to trade, like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, and FFXI + PS2 HDD, all of which are sealed.

Anybody going to the show, as well as other CAGs who are in my situation, please post and let's see if we can do a little matchmaking.

Thanks,
Andrew

What kind of book is it? What does it include? I may be interested in getting ahold of one as well...

I kind of want one but demand is so high for so few books...I'll just get whatever other books they release.

Why would anyone want a bookfull of unfunny comicks?

i will send you a bunch of mine and autographed for $8 + shipping

[quote name='DenisDFat']Why would anyone want a bookfull of unfunny comicks?

i will send you a bunch of mine and autographed for $8 + shipping[/QUOTE]

I actually agree. I'm not a religious reader of theirs by any means, but every one of their comics I've ever checked out has been marginally funny at best.

Everyone wants one but nobody's going, eh? Put me on the list while you're at it, guy who's going to Sakuracon. Why couldn't this have been for sale at the con that I met them at last year?

The PA books are the fabled "First Year" books that are compilations of their first year comics as an online strip. Long story short, back then (five years ago) they signed a deal with a jerk that screwed them over. Five years of legal battle later, they have had their rights to the comics/books/publishing returned to them, and thus can now begin to sell them at an actual profit. The guy they hooked up with originally gave them a contract that essentially bound them by the balls. But that's all be defeated now so they can sell the books again.

These particular books have been in storage for 5 years because of the original jackass, but now they are selling them off. This is the last part of that initial printed batch and thus are the final copies that will ever be made. Gabe has said they will make additional books in the future that will contain some or all of these comics, so it's not like this is your last chance to get them printed. But the specific types at Sakuracon are the last ones and thus are collectible in that respect, much like the limited prints PA has started to sell.

The PA books are in three categories:

Softback - $15
Hardback - $25
Collector Edition - $50 - Essentially the hard back with Gabe and Tycho's signatures.

There is a link on the PA front page now for requesting a book from people going to Sakuracon, so you might want to check there. I got on a list late last night and have been contacted, but there's no gaurantee I'll get one. It's a case of asking a friend who is asking their friend to get books for a stranger neither of them knows. You'll be lucky to get one.

Of course, people will eBay them ASAP, so you can always get one there, but expect to pay 3-4X the price is my best guess.

In all reality, given that more books are on the way, it is likely that you won't miss out on anything major if you don't pick one up. These books are really more for hardcore fans than anything else. I picked up a print of Twisp and Catsby, and I will try to get the next one, so this is just helping me increase my PA shrine. There's also the fact that PA's first two years are very weak compared to the more recent offerings, but of course, that's all up to your preference. Meh.

[quote name='Strell']The PA books are the fabled "First Year" books that are compilations of their first year comics as an online strip. Long story short, back then (five years ago) they signed a deal with a jerk that screwed them over. Five years of legal battle later, they have had their rights to the comics/books/publishing returned to them, and thus can now begin to sell them at an actual profit. The guy they hooked up with originally gave them a contract that essentially bound them by the balls. But that's all be defeated now so they can sell the books again.

These particular books have been in storage for 5 years because of the original jackass, but now they are selling them off. This is the last part of that initial printed batch and thus are the final copies that will ever be made. Gabe has said they will make additional books in the future that will contain some or all of these comics, so it's not like this is your last chance to get them printed. But the specific types at Sakuracon are the last ones and thus are collectible in that respect, much like the limited prints PA has started to sell.

The PA books are in three categories:

Softback - $15
Hardback - $25
Collector Edition - $50 - Essentially the hard back with Gabe and Tycho's signatures.

There is a link on the PA front page now for requesting a book from people going to Sakuracon, so you might want to check there. I got on a list late last night and have been contacted, but there's no gaurantee I'll get one. It's a case of asking a friend who is asking their friend to get books for a stranger neither of them knows. You'll be lucky to get one.

Of course, people will eBay them ASAP, so you can always get one there, but expect to pay 3-4X the price is my best guess.

In all reality, given that more books are on the way, it is likely that you won't miss out on anything major if you don't pick one up. These books are really more for hardcore fans than anything else. I picked up a print of Twisp and Catsby, and I will try to get the next one, so this is just helping me increase my PA shrine. There's also the fact that PA's first two years are very week compared to the more recent offerings, but of course, that's all up to your preference. Meh.[/QUOTE]

Oh.... Take my name off of the list then. I'm too much of a cheapass to drop that kind of money on a book!

[quote name='DenisDFat']Why would anyone want a bookfull of unfunny comicks?

i will send you a bunch of mine and autographed for $8 + shipping[/QUOTE]I'll take you up on this, Denis. Do you have any samples of your work online? Just the signature alone would be worth the $8, though. :lol:

bread's done
Back