Wanted: Your 2 Cents for this HDTV

souljah420

CAGiversary!
Feedback
45 (100%)
I have the option to purchase a used television from a friend. He swears the tv has never left his living room since he bought it 3 years ago (brand new he said he paid nearly $1,000 for it). The TV in question is a 26 inch widescreen Samsung.

The following is taken directly from Samsung's website:
TXN2668WHF
26" Widescreen DynaFlat™ Digital HDTV Monitor

---16:9 Widescreen Aspect Ratio
---Digital TV High Definition Monitor 1080i Capable
Display
---Progressive Scan 480p DVD Compatible
---DynaFlat HD Anti-Distortion, Anti-Glare Flat Picture
Tube
---Pro Picture 3-Stage Video Correction
---Total DSP (Digital Signal Processing) Analog to
Digital Signal Enhanced
---Pro Chip Plus Converts All Analog Signals to
Flicker-Free Progressive Scan
---3-Line Digital Comb Filter
---Velocity Scan Modulation Improves Edge Detail
---Convenient Front Panel Control Key Buttons for
Accessing Menu Settings Without the Remote
---Universal Remote Control
---Easy Navigation With Translucent On-Screen Display
---Screen Filling Modes & Vertical Compression for
Anamorphic DVDs
---Audio: Stereo Broadcast Reception MTS and SAP
30-Watt Audio
Preset Sound modes Std, movie,music,speech, and custom
---Connections: Input connections 2 sets 1080i/480p/480i(Y/Pb/Pr)
S-Video Input 1 Side
1 rear A/V Fixed monitor output
Side A/V input
3 rear A/V composite inputs
Stereo headphone jack on side
RF input rear
---Picture Tube: 26" CRT Measured diagonally
TV System: NTSC std color
---Antenna: CATV/VHF/UHF 75ohm, F-type
---Channel Coverage: VHF 2-13, UHF 14-69, CATV 1-125 (up to 181 pre-selected channels) ---Power Requirements: 120W AC, 60Hz
---Power Consumption: 200W (1.9w standby)
---Net Dimensions: 31.5"(W) x 19.9"(H) x 21.8"(D)
---Net Weight: 89.1 lbs.

He is asking $200 but I think I could get him down to $175.
I am a little unsure about a couple features...
Should I be concerned it is considered a TV/Monitor?
How can it display 480i, 480p, and 1080i, but not 720p or 720i?
What is the estimated lifespan of this product (HDTVs in general)?
Would this be a good gaming TV - especially for use with WII and XBOX360?

BUY OR PASS???

For an HDTV it's a steal... some people even say that CRT's look better than LCDs/Plasmas.. as to lifespan... CRTs basically last forever... not supporting 720p isn't really a big deal though since 1080i is virtually the same...

If you could get it for a steal maybe, however the 26" LCD models are falling in price I just picked up a Vizio 26" for 448.00 new at Wal Mart.

My .02

It will do the job for your Wii and 360 it has 2 component inputs and CRT can do the some of the best blacks and scale SD and HD very well.

He is asking $200 but I think I could get him down to $175.

Not Bad I would try to get it down to 100 - 125 thats just me

I am a little unsure about a couple features...

Well it is a "TV" but not an HDTV if you want to watch HDTV you will need a set top box

Early CRT HDTV were like this it's not a big deal becuse your Wii ouputs at 480p and the XBOX can output at 1080i.

CRTs can last for years and years if you take care of them

BUY OR PASS???

See below

Some finale toughts on this

But you are lacking a ATSC or QAM tuner so if you want to watch any HD programing you will need a set top box. All TVs sold in the US now must come with a ATSC tuner or its a monitor not a TV . And lack of HDMI or DVI would be a deal breaker to me , it will last years if you buy it but to me it seems like a stop gap. If I were you I would hold off save some cash and buy something else.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']If you could get it for a steal maybe, however the 26" LCD models are falling in price I just picked up a Vizio 26" for 448.00 new at Wal Mart.

My .02

It will do the job for your Wii and 360 it has 2 component inputs and CRT can do the some of the best blacks and scale SD and HD very well.

Not Bad I would try to get it down to 100 - 125 thats just me

Well it is a "TV" but not an HDTV if you want to watch HDTV you will need a set top box

Early CRT HDTV were like this it's not a big deal becuse your Wii ouputs at 480p and the XBOX can output at 1080i.

CRTs can last for years and years if you take care of them

See below

Some finale toughts on this

But you are lacking a ATSC or QAM tuner so if you want to watch any HD programing you will need a set top box. All TVs sold in the US now must come with a ATSC tuner or its a monitor not a TV . And lack of HDMI or DVI would be a deal breaker to me , it will last years if you buy it but to me it seems like a stop gap. If I were you I would hold off save some cash and buy something else.[/QUOTE]

Bravo, bravo. That's the best 2-cents op'll ever get.

I have the TXR2678WHX Samsung 26". I think this is just a newer model of that television. I think the main difference is my tv has the HD tuner in it and it is black. It's a good tv but there are a few problems I've found with it. For one, when something is broadcast over the air in 4:3 mode there are black bars on the side of the screen and this tv has no way of fixing this. You can't stretch the imagine on anything over the air (i have no idea why). This may not affect you though since the model you're buying doesn't have the tuner anyway. Also the side video input doesn't work if you have stuff plugged into the back (again, this is stupid and I have no clue why its like this). Overall its a good TV but I'd save your money and buy an LCD. I wish I would have.

Price seems ok. Make sure you look at it first. Remember this thing is gonna be like 100lbs. I know I had a phillips crt hdtv that was a pos, and it had a samsung tube inside it. Make sure it doesnt seem like there is major distortion along the edges. A little is normal due to the technology that crt uses.

TV yes, monitor no. If there is no VGA or DVI input, forget it. S-Video is a joke for using as a monitor if you expect to actually read text without burning your eyes.

I've never heard of 720i. Regardless, 1080i is interlaced, so at any given time, it's only displaying 540 lines which isn't too far from 480, but still quite far from 720. But at 26" it isn't that big a deal.

As long as it gets good ventilation, it'll last forever. HDTV just a term for labeling TVs that can display high resolution but not the technology the TV uses, like DLP, LCD, Plasma and this TV, CRT. I'm sure you know people that have had the same TV for decades and this is the same kind of technology.

In my humble opinion, CRTs give the best image quality, period. No problems with viewing angles (many flat panel TVs only look good when you look at them directly), contrast ratio (blacks aren't black enough, lights aren't light enough) or refresh rate issues (LCDs can suffer from "ghosting").

I think since it's not that big both consoles will look fine, but if he's really your friend, why don't you just ask him if you can set up your consoles at his house to test out the television before you buy it?

I would also try to bargain him down to $150. Someone also pointed out that it's going to be heavy, so it'll be a pain in the ass if you move a lot.

There's some significant lag on that HDTV. I went and checked one out at Circuit City in my pursuit for an HDTV with no lag for games because it said that it could display in 480i and 480p (good for new games AND old games, and 1080i for new new games).

My quest still leaves me with Panasonic TVs. If you want a lagless TV, go Panasonic (I've specifically tried their LCDs and rear-projection LCDs) -- everyone else lags (though I haven't tried too many Sony's, I'll admit).

The moral of the story is to test the TV with games -- maybe if you're lucky you won't notice it.

bread's done
Back