War Week & CAG Contest - 5 Weeks of $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct2Drive

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9145[/IMG-R]Celebrate 5 Years of Direct2Drive with 5 Weeks of downloadable games for $5. Each week features a new genre of games to choose from. Buy one game and get a chance to win all 50.

Week 1: Ubisoft and great strategy titles
Week 2: Action
Week 3: RPG /MMO
Week 4: Indie
Week 5: War

:pc: $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct Drive

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jezz.torrent']As has been mentioned on nearly every page of this thread, if its not on this short list, it can't be registered on Steam. From the looks of it, none of the new deals are Steam-able.[/QUOTE]
Haven't (and wasn't going to) waded through 28 pages of this thread. Thanks though.

I'm a whore for Steam. If I can't have it always in my Steam's games list, I feel like I'll just forget about it and it will be $5 wasted a few windows formats down the line.

[quote name='Wildcat1080']Haven't (and wasn't going to) waded through 28 pages of this thread. Thanks though.

I'm a whore for Steam. If I can't have it always in my Steam's games list, I feel like I'll just forget about it and it will be $5 wasted a few windows formats down the line.[/QUOTE]
Zeno Clash can be activated on Steam.

Based on the popular consensus, I bit on the X-COM bundle.

I wish I'd caught NWN2 when it was on sale, but Titan's Quest should be an acceptable substitute.

Defense Grid is a steal at $5. I highly recommend it if you like tower defense games. The original $20 was too much, but its well worth the $5. Do it!

I might go with either Company of Heroes Gold, Supreme Commander Gold, or World in Conflict.

Anyone played Supreme Commander Gold? I heard there's like, micro-micro management.

[quote name='Wildcat1080']Haven't (and wasn't going to) waded through 28 pages of this thread. Thanks though.

I'm a whore for Steam. If I can't have it always in my Steam's games list, I feel like I'll just forget about it and it will be $5 wasted a few windows formats down the line.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya on that -- I felt the same way prior to this sale. Now I've gotten a large enough library on D2D (8 games + probably WIC, maybe SupCom) that I feel like I'm less likely to forget about it. But yeah, I know what you mean about trusting one's game list organization to Steam.

Sorry if I sounded grouchy before. Also, I apparently was wrong, because Zeno Clash is not on that list I linked to, and it seems like it still can be registered. :whistle2:s

I bit on Far Cry. I remember when this game was astonishingly good looking its still not bad but it shows how far we have come to look at this compared with todays games.

civ 4 is awesome awesome. And assassin's creed is definitely an experience worth that price, despite its repetitive nature.

[quote name='evilguy69']civ 4 is awesome awesome. And assassin's creed is definitely an experience worth that price, despite its repetitive nature.[/QUOTE]

Is Civ 4 a pure RTS or are there any turn-based RPG elements?

[quote name='Purple Flames']Is Civ 4 a pure RTS or are there any turn-based RPG elements?[/QUOTE]

Civ 4 is in no way an RTS. It is a turn-based strategy game on an epic scale, and it is one of the best games of all time.

Nothing really RPG-y about it -- there is a very basic amount of leveling-up you can do for your units, but that's not the focus of the game. Its all about guiding your civilization from the dawn of time up until the near future, crushing and assimilating all who stand in your way (you can also win non-violently, but I've never played that way;)). Its definitely worth $5.

Bit for Comany of Heroes Gold, thanks for your input Bgriffith.

I tried Civ 4, and it was way too technical for me. I understood what to do, but the pace was just way too slow. I'm not really one for real-world-type Sims, though.

[quote name='unopepito06']Bit for Comany of Heroes Gold, thanks for your input Bgriffith.

I tried Civ 4, and it was way too technical for me. I understood what to do, but the pace was just way too slow. I'm not really one for real-world-type Sims, though.[/QUOTE]
np dude I've picked up quite a but from this sale ( Riddick, SR2 past few weeks) and Company of Heroes Gold, Supreme Commander Gold, World in Conflict Gold, and Titan Quest bundle today...I think I'm good for a while lol

I had a roomate who was utterly absorbed with civ 4 when it came out a few years back. I wanted to try it, but I never got around to it.
Of course, I missed this particular sale, but if I win the contest I'd be set!

I only wish i had a better computer. Ive bought some of the games, but have to wait for a better computer to play them

[quote name='Walt Jay']I bought XCom and Civ IV last night and plan to get CoH Gold too. It sucks I missed out on Titan Quest. :([/QUOTE]

Titan Quest is back up bro! it went down for a week, but is back up now...or atleast it was a few hours ago when I bought it.

This may be a stupid question, but can I burn these games to DVD and activate them again if I format my computer? I know they have a few licsences but I want to be able to burn them onto DVD for ease factors.

[quote name='coleipoo']This may be a stupid question, but can I burn these games to DVD and activate them again if I format my computer? I know they have a few licsences but I want to be able to burn them onto DVD for ease factors.[/QUOTE]

Yes. I would recommend it. The download speeds at d2d are questionable. That's what I have been doing.

It's a shame to see the end of the good deals. In the end, though, I only grabbed two games, Bioshock and Assassin's Creed: Director's Cut.

Still, I'm quite happy.

GTA: Vice City - Must buy. I can't wait to shock my in-laws with all the carnage on my laptop when I'm bored at their house this holiday season. Might even have to get GTA III as well, for added shock value.

[quote name='SDC']I had a roomate who was utterly absorbed with civ 4 when it came out a few years back. I wanted to try it, but I never got around to it.
Of course, I missed this particular sale, but if I win the contest I'd be set![/QUOTE]

Civ 4 is still on sale. At the bottom of the sale page, in "Still Available".

Promos like this are awesome. I always end up trying out games that I wouldn't have otherwise. I would never have played Gothic 3 without this, but I'm having a lot of fun. With the community patch, of course.

Free is always great, but this would allow me to catch up on games I have missed (Ubisoft, I am looking at your stuff) and discover some new favorites.

I've purchased Saints Row 2, Mount and Blade, and GTA: Vice City so far. I'm going to get Company of Heroes as well...so far I've played M&B the most and I'm not even close to being tired of it!

I picked up Drakensang during the RPG week, and I'm loving it so far. It's like Neverwinter Nights 2, but with much better controls and camera.

Once again PayPal fails to work. I just gave up and used my debit card, but still, it is annoying.

Picked up Supreme Commander, Mount and Blade, Battlestations Pacific, Codename Panzers, and World in Conflict:Gold Edition

Overall, this has been a damn nice sale!

Ok after all the talk and checking out youtube videos, I've decided to go on and grab Civilization IV. I've never played a game like it before, but for $5 I'm willing to take the plunge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up Civ IV for the $5 (still available for that price despite that week being past btw). I owned a copy before but had traded it off so I'm glad to have a digital copy. Just bought it a few days ago and I'm already hooked again.

ugh, i tried to buy civ 4, CoH and WiC but got the transaction failed message. Anyone know how long it usually takes their customer service to resolve this issue? It seems a lot of people have this sort of problem with D2D. I'm not impressed...

WiC and Supreme Commander are both well worth $5 each. I've had them both for quite some time now.

I was waiting for the final week to come and I finally made a decision. I bought COH Gold, Drakensang and Riddick. I'll wait and see what GOG has on sale for the weekend. If I don't buy anything from them, I'll probably get one or two more games.

[quote name='saad77']ugh, i tried to buy civ 4, CoH and WiC but got the transaction failed message. Anyone know how long it usually takes their customer service to resolve this issue? It seems a lot of people have this sort of problem with D2D. I'm not impressed...[/QUOTE]I've been trying to buy Saint's Row 2 for a week now. I'll get a response once every few days, but I still can't buy anything! Not only that SR2 has gone back up to $30. I really hope they get their act together soon.

Nice deals. Was kind of ticked that I bought Riddick right before the new version came out, but at $5 it's all good in the hood.

I also have some of the XCom games around, but for $5 it saves me the trouble of looking in the big box o' games in my storage space. Anyone know if XComUtil works with this version?

[quote name='J7.']Will definitely be looking into Direct2Drive more closely now![/QUOTE]

I won't. Now that this thing is all done, I can go back to ignoring them.

D2D almost took my money several times during the course of the month. Civ 4, Titan Quest, EVE, Company of Heroes, Saints Row 2, almost lost my wallet to those games. The only reason that I couldn't was because, well, I didn't have anything in the wallet.

bread's done
Back