War Week & CAG Contest - 5 Weeks of $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct2Drive

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9145[/IMG-R]Celebrate 5 Years of Direct2Drive with 5 Weeks of downloadable games for $5. Each week features a new genre of games to choose from. Buy one game and get a chance to win all 50.

Week 1: Ubisoft and great strategy titles
Week 2: Action
Week 3: RPG /MMO
Week 4: Indie
Week 5: War

:pc: $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct Drive

Last edited by a moderator:
haha this is funny. I made a thread on the steam discussion forum, just trying to have a friendly discussion about this sale, and see if Valve had anything to kinda rival it. Not too long after the thread completely disappeared without a trace. It's not like I went in bashing Steam(hell I love steam, have almost 40 games on steam), just wanted a friendly discussion. I guess they must be feeling the heat of it all.

I guess maybe they thought my thread was advertising, but kinda funny it was deleted just out of thin air xD

i just got call of juarez 3 days ago and now i see riddick for $5!! damn!!! i already have butcher bay on PC but i really want to try the new dark athena stuff, im sooo tempted its only 5 bucks...

i was tempted to get saints 2 as well but the overall customer rating is like a 2.0 so im going to pass on that lol and by the way if anyone out there doesnt have max payne 2 you must buy it! i demand you buy it!

and if they have The Witcher for next weeks RPG/MMO games i will literally shit my pants

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Just as an update, it seems the D2D version of riddick does have the Butcher bay touch up included. I just wasn't sure if they were selling the digital version of athena.

Is stalker worth it?[/QUOTE]

Stalker is a solid game, I would definitely say it's worth it.

[quote name='sublime90']i just got call of juarez 3 days ago and now i see riddick for $5!! damn!!! i already have butcher bay on PC but i really want to try the new dark athena stuff, im sooo tempted its only 5 bucks...

i was tempted to get saints 2 as well but the overall customer rating is like a 2.0 so im going to pass on that lol and by the way if anyone out there doesnt have max payne 2 you must buy it! i demand you buy it!

and if they have The Witcher for next weeks RPG/MMO games i will literally shit my pants[/QUOTE]
OMG, the thought of the Witcher for 5 dollars. Damn, can't wait. Im hoping they have some real good RPGs next week.

I'm definitely going to get Dark Athena, but not sure about Serious Sam and Thief. I don't know much about SS (other than that people love it), and getting Thief 3 without playing 1 or 2 seems weird to me. Thoughts?

I thought Saints Row 2 was a fun game. It's not particularly deep or serious, but that's why I prefer it over GTA IV. I don't like GTA IV, but I like Saint's Row 2. It's a fun game, and is definitely worth the $5.

Pirates!, Bioshock, Chronicles of Riddick, STALKER, all great games for $5 each.

I've heard that the PC port of Saint's Row 2 was somewhat buggy and terrible, which would explain the bad rating. I don't know if it ever got patched.

I'm saving my money for the Indy and RPG weeks, but Bioshock and STALKER are tempting.

So did anyone else notice that the RPG/MMO 'present' has a Dragon Age screenshot on it? Think it means something? (Hey, a guy can hope.)

Good luck getting Riddick to work correctly.
I bought it for $10 from target on PC and it would crash when trying to change Resolution as well as crashing after being in game for more than 1 second.

Damn, just as I'm trying to save money. I'm definitely in for Stalker. I'm not sure about the others, might need to conserve for the RPG sale.

Ah, I played the 360 version. Depends on the bugs on whether or not it's worth $5. If there's player patches or upcoming patches, that sort of stuff.

I've actually played and enjoyed Gothic 3 and Two Worlds, including game crashing bugs for Gothic, so I guess my tolerance for bugs is high.

I am getting a error too when I go to processing my credit card part. It always declines it. I got no clue what going on because this the first time my card has ever been rejected...

I'm looking at D2D's RPG catalog and I'm getting unreasonably excited for next week. No way they'll have Dragon Age for $5 -- it hasn't even come out yet! -- but maybe Mass Effect? I would buy that in heartbeat. Five bucks for the Witcher would be awesome as well. And apparently GTA IV is considered an RPG ... I'm probably getting my hopes up too high, but this sale has been pretty great so far ...

I'll also parrot sublime90 and state that if you've never played Max Payne 2: Buy it. Now.

Do not hesitate. Buy it.

Does anyone know how to check exactly what DRM comes with certain games? I wanna bite on Bioshock and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (possibly Saints Row 2, although even for $5 I may pass if it still runs like crap), but I don't know what kind of DRM they have, if any at all.

Thanks!

[quote name='Arcturiang']What's the policy with offline computers? Can I download a game, then play it offline? My gaming PC's not hooked up to the internet.[/QUOTE]

?

so your gaming rig isn't wired? wth... how do you surf and get email... what's the reason?

there must be more logic to this decision...

[quote name='Arcturiang']What's the policy with offline computers? Can I download a game, then play it offline? My gaming PC's not hooked up to the internet.[/QUOTE]There's no client like Steam, and once you download the game you can play it offline, IIRC.

What's the policy on redownloading titles, ala Steam? Activation and program is a different matter, but can you delete titles, then redownload them from the website at a later date?

[quote name='xycury']?

so your gaming rig isn't wired? wth... how do you surf and get email... what's the reason?

there must be more logic to this decision...[/QUOTE]

Gaming computer in his room, family PC for web?
Still has 56k/Nada at home, uses Internet at work/school?
Has a Linux computer connected to the net, doesn't trust Windows with networking?

To answer his question, as far as I know, you need to activate the game on the same PC you install it on, so you would need to connect your gaming computer to the net for installation at least. Apparently, that may vary by game, though.

[quote name='ddrpower']What's the policy on redownloading titles, ala Steam? Activation and program is a different matter, but can you delete titles, then redownload them from the website at a later date?[/QUOTE]
Yes, you can. Also, according to reports on other forums, you can use the Saints Row 2 cd-key you get from D2D on Steam as well. I would test it myself, if D2D weren't being cunts who disabled my ability to pay via PayPal due to their own server's errors earlier today.

Keep in mind that if the game you're buying is really freakin big, you're not going to be able to back it up to a disc. Just realized that Dark Athena is 7GB. Oops. Looks like I'll be tucking that away on a hard drive.

[quote name='Wheeliedude']Why doesn't the site let you pay from your Paypal balance? I don't want to use a credit card.[/QUOTE]
Earlier today their site was rejecting a lot of valid credit cards and PayPal transactions. If you try to make a purchase and fail 3 times, D2D disables that method of payment and then you get to contact customer support and file a ticket begging them to realize that the problem isn't with your account, which freaking worked just fine last week, and to please reenable it so you can give them money. (Do I sound bitter? Yeah, I sound bitter. If they weren't having this sale I'd never bother with them again. I realize I could switch payment methods and pay via CC assuming they have that working now but do I really want them to have access to my CC info given their apparent incompetence? No.)

idk, do I take the plunge on SR2 and use the cdkey on steam? I take it you get access to the cd key right away? idk, I've heard the performance issues have no rhyme or reason if there is any. My PC is pretty decent, but idk. The only other game im interested in buying is stalker, but If SR2 can run decent for me, id like to have it tied to my steam account.

Stupid site locked me out for no identifiable reason. Tried paying with Paypal for Dark Athena, but it had an error. Silly me for trying three times just to see if it was something temporary, instead it locked me out and refused to use my Paypal account as payment. So I got no explanation, wonderful. So, last ditch I send in a customer service request and detail my problem. A minute later I get an answer basically telling me I'm from Bolivia and I'm using a stolen credit card. Nah, not really, but it said my region was no supported... so beware people, if you live in America, no go. :\

Saints Row 2 does work on Steam. I used my activation key on Steam a little bit ago, and it's downloading currently.

I tried Chronicles of Riddick: AoDA, but that does not work on Steam.

if I buy thief 3 and haven't played the first two, will I still be able to understand and enjoy the game?

[quote name='casual_alcoholic']Stalker is a solid game, I would definitely say it's worth it.[/QUOTE]

Stalker is amazing, if you take the time to patch it and install some of the mods that help to fix bugs. It reminds me of Fallout 3 in some regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard to play stalker vanilla first ,just update to v 1.0005 or something. However, on the D2D site I see 1.0001 then a 1.0006 or something. Im still waiting on games from D2D, and Im mainly interested in stalker. Are those the patches for it? Im almost hesitant though. Because if a publisher is willing to slash the prices for the games on D2D, who knows if they'll do it for some games on Valve/Steam this week. I'd hate to buy stalker on D2D only to have it discounted on steam this week for 5 dollars or something. I don't like the idea of having several different methods to get digital games.

[quote name='dallascowboys']if I buy thief 3 and haven't played the first two, will I still be able to understand and enjoy the game?

Stalker is amazing, if you take the time to patch it and install some of the mods that help to fix bugs. It reminds me of Fallout 3 in some regards.[/QUOTE]

Of course, this being D2D, don't expect to install mods...

The only thing I was wondering is if these D2D downloads function more like Steam downloads or CD-installed games. I mean, do I have to connect to D2D's servers to play the game? Do I need D2D client software like Valve's Steam?

How does it all work in the D2D world, exactly?

I think the thing you dl from D2D is basically like an app that functions like the disc. I know for a fact you don't need to be online or check online before playing a game. The only thing you might have to use with D2D is some dl manager or something, but im not even sure if you actually need that.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']The only thing I was wondering is if these D2D downloads function more like Steam downloads or CD-installed games. I mean, do I have to connect to D2D's servers to play the game? Do I need D2D client software like Valve's Steam?

How does it all work in the D2D world, exactly?[/QUOTE]

Not directly at you, more to everyone else asking questions too.

Seriously this laziness needs to stop.

http://www.direct2drive.com/staticpage.aspx?topic=about

I really don't know why anyone would want 3rd party information that would trump 1st part info....

maybe for a particular game, if one had experience with DRM or issues, but come on, any general question, go to the faq on the homepage.

And for anyone that might have a question that could not be answered there:

http://support.direct2drive.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=3091

This link and the spammed link should be re-edited in the op.

And to EliotAndrews, after skimming through the faqs....

Answers to your questions: There is a download manager to get the game, I assume after that it should function like a Beta download/Good Old Games style with one friggen huge file which then unpacks and installs the game, like a CD. There isn't a D2D server which you must authenticate with like Steam, and the only portion of DRM is licensing and activations, only a limited amount. But if you read, you can see that they will help anyone who "runs out". Installing on a laptop and a desktop is OK, but it will take up 2 licenses/activations.

[quote name='evilmrhenry']Of course, this being D2D, don't expect to install mods...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, mods won't work because you can't patch D2D games. But texture replacements (Thief 3) will work.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']The only thing I was wondering is if these D2D downloads function more like Steam downloads or CD-installed games. I mean, do I have to connect to D2D's servers to play the game? Do I need D2D client software like Valve's Steam?[/QUOTE]

Does this look like the D2D support forum to you?

As xycury, the info is on D2D's site.

bread's done
Back