War Week & CAG Contest - 5 Weeks of $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct2Drive

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9145[/IMG-R]Celebrate 5 Years of Direct2Drive with 5 Weeks of downloadable games for $5. Each week features a new genre of games to choose from. Buy one game and get a chance to win all 50.

Week 1: Ubisoft and great strategy titles
Week 2: Action
Week 3: RPG /MMO
Week 4: Indie
Week 5: War

:pc: $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct Drive

Last edited by a moderator:
list looks pretty good to me. I already have Mass Effect and the Witcher so I'm not disappointed they aren't on there, but I am surprised that they have non-rpg's on there while leaving off Sacred 2, which they sell for $50 but can be had nearly everywhere else for $20.

[quote name='Dajinn']lol gta 3 and vice city are not rpgs...what a fucking embarrassment[/QUOTE]

To be fair, that list isn't confirmed yet, so we don't know for sure if those are the games. I'll agree that the list is rather weak for supposedly being an RPG/MMO list, but oh well.

As for Mass Effect, while I would love it to be included in the sale, D2D currently has a Mass Effect bundle package for preorder at a price of $64.99 for ME 1 and 2. I imagine quite a few people would be pissed if they offered Mass Effect for $5 when they've been promoting the preorder bonus.

Apparently, that list for RPG Week started circulating about 3-5 hours ago. If it's true, the list isn't a total loss. Personally, it looks real because it features one standout game as well as several really old ones. (Action week featured Max Payne 2 and Serious Sam Gold. If I may be so spoiled, why even charge us anything for games that old?)

Hell, I'd pick up GTA3 again just to show my support. That game remains my absolute favorite in the series, and the only one I'd place in a "Best Games of All Time" list.

EDIT: With an hour to go, the site already shows the "RPG Week" gift package open and the "Action Week" package crumpled up. Could they be starting the sale an hour early again? (This happened for Action Week, as well.)

Chalk it up to over-excitement; When the Action Week games showed up early, I grabbed Bioshock within the first few moments.

As of this writing, RPG Week should be showing up any moment now.

EDIT: I'm noticing games like Frontlines, Saint's Row 2, and Thief returning to their normal prices with every page refresh.

Man, so far D2D's 20 minutes late getting the sale online, and I only have another 15 minutes or so to stick around.

Also, it seems GTA3, GTA Vice City, and Beyond Good & Evil are/were already $5. (I don't recall if they were offered at that price before the sale started.)

If you are having trouble, these are the newly added $5 games:

Elven Legacy
Penumbra Collection
Drakensang
Titan Quest Bundle
GTA 3
GTA Vice City
Beyond Good and Evil
Neverwinter Nights 2
NN2: Storm of Zehir
Eve Online
Age of Conan
Planetside
Assassin's Creed

Some previous $5 have gone back to original price, others remain $5- about 40 currently including the new ones.

[quote name='vherub']If you are having trouble, these are the newly added $5 games:

Elven Legacy
Penumbra Collection
Drakensang
Titan Quest Bundle
GTA 3
GTA Vice City
Beyond Good and Evil
Neverwinter Nights 2
NN2: Storm of Zehir

Some previous $5 have gone back to original price, others remain $5[/QUOTE]

Thats not what im seeing. I get

Neverwinter Nights 2
Assassin's Creed Director's Cut (wut)
Elven Legacy
Eve Online
Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir
Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures
Titan Quest Bundle
PlanetSide®: Aftershock
Drakensang: The Dark Eye
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (wut)

I'm a little disappointed by the lack of Mass Effect, but Assassin's Creed and Neverwinter Nights 2 are both distinct possibilities.

Opinions, CAGs?

Edit: After reading a few reviews of my two potential purchases, I think I might sit this week out.

Just got a new PC and I pretty much missed out on all PC games in the past 4 years, so I am picking up:

Titan Quest Bundle
Beyond Good and Evil
Neverwinter Nights 2

And maybe Drakensang

Along with getting S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Thief last week, too many games to play :)

Well, I have riddick and penumbra in my cart for $5 each, but cannot checkout, I just get stuck in a login loop after I hit checkout. Looks like they have lost my business.

As soon as my last transaction gets fixed by them I'm totally buying:

Assassin's Creed
Neverwinter 2
Possibly Drakensang
and the Neverwinter expansion

Combined with the 2 games previously purchased last week and the 5 or so I bought during gogamer's sale for 10 dollars. I think I could last all next year minus a few specific titles.

[quote name='monogoat']Well, I have riddick and penumbra in my cart for $5 each, but cannot checkout, I just get stuck in a login loop after I hit checkout. Looks like they have lost my business.[/QUOTE]

You running Windows 7? Put your browser into compatibility mode for Vista is what I did to fix that. A couple other users were having this problem as well.

[quote name='SINNED']Thats not what im seeing. I get

Neverwinter Nights 2
Assassin's Creed Director's Cut (wut)
Elven Legacy
Eve Online
Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir
Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures
Titan Quest Bundle
PlanetSide®: Aftershock
Drakensang: The Dark Eye
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (wut)[/QUOTE]

2nd confirmation, I see this list too.

If NW2 can be fine with both retail expansions, I might pick that up.

But after that, I might just get Elven, and Drakensang. Still can't find either at a good price... 5 is just impossible to avoid.

[quote name='Fuzzy Pickles']You running Windows 7? Put your browser into compatibility mode for Vista is what I did to fix that. A couple other users were having this problem as well.[/QUOTE]

Yes windows 7, but not IE, Opera 10.

Assassin's Creed definitely worth $5
same with titan quest

anyone have experience with co-op lan play in NWN 2? I've read a lot about the difficulties and wonder if it got resolved.

[quote name='monogoat']Yes windows 7, but not IE, Opera 10.[/QUOTE]

It shouldn't really matter because I tried IE, Mozilla, and Google Chrome and all experienced the same problem. It finally worked on Mozilla compatibility mode though.

Should someone shoot and email over to D2D and define RPG/MMO to them?

I know technically you're playing the "role" of another "character" so it's considered an RPG, but...that's honestly not the definition in a the video game sense. I mean I know I'm not contracted to buy anything but I'm very, very disappointed, and i feel let down...haha.

Last week was awesome, but they really ****ed this week.

I grabbed NVN2 and expansion + assassins creed 2. I can't wait to play them. Anyone know a good deal on NVN2 Mask of the Betrayer?

[quote name='jonrosing']I grabbed NVN2 and expansion + assassins creed 2. I can't wait to play them. Anyone know a good deal on NVN2 Mask of the Betrayer?[/QUOTE]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=neverwinter_mask-_-32-198-041-_-Product

$10 free shipping.

I am going to grab NW2 and see if the retail exp, Storm, will install fine. If it works, then I'll probably buy mask off of newegg.

If anyone can confirm this is ok, please reply.

[quote name='mokmoof']I'm a little disappointed by the lack of Mass Effect, but Assassin's Creed and Neverwinter Nights 2 are both distinct possibilities.

Opinions, CAGs?[/QUOTE]

I don't know why they classify Assassin's Creed as an RPG--more action than anything--but it's definitely worth $5. Make sure you have a 360 controller or something similar though, I tried playing it without and it was cumbersome to say the least.

[quote name='Vegan']How's Assassin's Creed's compatibility with a 360 controller? Pretty much auto-detects?[/QUOTE]

So long as you have the 360 PC controller attachment hooked up, yeah.

Bah, I bought Elvan Legacy and Drakensang a couple months ago...

I haven't opened them yet, so I guess I'll buy these and sell the boxes and recoup most/all of my money.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']Damn, I should have picked up Saints Row 2 when I still had the chance. I assumed it would still be around this week.[/QUOTE]
Trust me man, you dodged a bullet. It sucks on PC.

Does anyone know if the D2D version of NWN2 will work with mods? I know most don't, but it does say NWN2 works with official patches so....fingers crossed

Will buy for $5 if I can use mods

I will plug Age of Conan as well, as I will probably be picking it up myself. Not a good long-term MMO, but the early game (which will take you that first month) is supposed to be outstanding.

RPG week is a total fail. I mean AC and GTA:VC are sweet games for 5 beans but they shouldnt be in the RPG section. especially AC, why was that not in week 1 wich was Ubisoft week?? i was really looking forward to RPG week to and its like they just grabbed a handful of games no one ever bought. overall i cant be to mad the first 2 weeks were awesome. indie week should be good and im really interested to see what they do for war week.

I agree about age of conan, the first 20 levels are awesome. You can easily do it in a month and is totally worth 5.00. Once you get past level 20 it's not so great.

[quote name='Fuzzy Pickles']I don't really want to jump on Neverwinter Nights unless it works with a retail copy of Mask of the Betrayer. :/[/QUOTE]

Me too. I picked up Mask 2 years ago from a Circuit City sale. Does anyone know if the expansion works?

Picked up Drakensang. I read reviews for it a while back. Seems like a competent old school RPG. Comparisons to White Wolf rulesets and DNDv1.

Also got Riddick.

Call me crazy but I was really hoping for Sacred 2 to show up. I'm giong to pick up the titan quest bundle for $5, just for the convenience of having it on my Hard Drive

bread's done
Back