War Week & CAG Contest - 5 Weeks of $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct2Drive

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9145[/IMG-R]Celebrate 5 Years of Direct2Drive with 5 Weeks of downloadable games for $5. Each week features a new genre of games to choose from. Buy one game and get a chance to win all 50.

Week 1: Ubisoft and great strategy titles
Week 2: Action
Week 3: RPG /MMO
Week 4: Indie
Week 5: War

:pc: $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct Drive

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't say I am too hyped for this week. Already have so many indie games that there really are not many options for me plus the average indie game is $10 so not really saving much. But so far they have not totally stuck to the weekly theme for every game so I am hoping something else pops up. Or maybe they will add some more that they don't advertise on the 5 year page that you have to go searching for.

I'm still torn about getting either Neverwinter Nights 2 or Titan Quest

why don't they have the first expansion to NWN2 on sale as well? also with Titan Quest being on Steam/Impulse since except in cases like Riddick ($5 for a $40 game) I prefer to avoid Direct 2 Drive like the plague

[quote name='Hostile']What's your opinion on The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena[/QUOTE]
Easily a top 5 for this generation. Must-have.

[quote name='buckythekat']I'm still torn about getting either Neverwinter Nights 2 or Titan Quest

why don't they have the first expansion to NWN2 on sale as well? also with Titan Quest being on Steam/Impulse since except in cases like Riddick ($5 for a $40 game) I prefer to avoid Direct 2 Drive like the plague[/QUOTE]

I had the same dilemma, so I went with TQ when NWN2 was temporarily taken down. I kind of regret it. It's just a boring Diablo clone with nothing remotely interesting about it. I haven't played NWN2, but some of the guys from Obsidian made it, so it can't be terrible.

So far I went with Chronicles of riddick which is really enjoyable. And just grabbed assassin's creed now in case they take it down tomorrow. Only other thing I am really considering is beyond good and evil which they also have up for $5.

Anyone considering Riddick should definitely get it, I found it to be quite an enjoyable game and I was hooked from beginning to end. There still isn't a single game made since butcher bay that has the same feel to it.

Unfortunately I can't get D2D to accept either my credit card or my paypal account, something I have to this point never encountered with any online service. Oh well, better to save some money anyhow I guess.

[quote name='AlphaConqerer']Unfortunately I can't get D2D to accept either my credit card or my paypal account, something I have to this point never encountered with any online service. Oh well, better to save some money anyhow I guess.[/QUOTE]

This seems to happen a lot with D2D for some reason.

[quote name='Arcturiang']Easily a top 5 for this generation. Must-have.

I had the same dilemma, so I went with TQ when NWN2 was temporarily taken down. I kind of regret it. It's just a boring Diablo clone with nothing remotely interesting about it. I haven't played NWN2, but some of the guys from Obsidian made it, so it can't be terrible.[/QUOTE]

I know a large portion of the population that would disagree with you on that one. TQ is still incredibly popular. There's a slightly generic feel to it, particularly in the beginning, but once the ball gets rolling the game is absolutely stellar. The expansion pack is downright spectacular. The graphics engine is sharp, the physics make the game surprisingly even more fun, and the story is sort of fun, particularly for history buffs. In terms of gameplay, it's ripped right from Diablo, but considerably longer and with a better engine for randomizing and creating items, in my opinion. EASILY worth $5. I bought mine for full price years ago, and I still load it up quite often.

Inversely, NWN2 was pretty boring. The engine was practically broken when it came out, which is historically how Obsidian releases games. I would only own the first one to play the vastly, and I do mean VASTLY, superior expansion pack. It won't be as frustrating to play for someone who didn't have to deal with the first game un-patched, but even after the patches to make it run even marginally well on the beefiest machine, it still has the most boringly bland story every written. Sometimes nifty side quests, but they can't save you from overall boredom.

Give TQ some more time, though. I think you might find it's actually quite good...

I will eventually. See, I didn't have a terrible experience with it -- just not a good one. "Meh." I'm only two hours in, but three days later I triple-dipped on Oblivion and am now going through that with 30 mods or so.

I'm dream-specced in TQ, and I'll admit, I laughed the first time my force spell blasted through ten skeletons. But graphics and physics don't make a game, and with the isometric view and dull story and missions the game's about as immersive as a spreadsheet.

Eventually.

Already have Mount and Balde and World of Goo on steam, so it looks like again this week I wont be buying anything.

Mount and Blade at $5 is ridiculous. There are a ton of fun mods for that game (though it is easy to overdo it due to its repetitive nature)

Not a great week but guess I will finally get Mount and Blade. Hope they go out with a bang during war week. Since they have had games like Riddick that came out around the same time I am hoping for Battlestations Pacific. One of the customer reviews says to avoid the D2D version due to a lack of a patch but that makes no sense at all to me when it is a GFWL game that would auto patch without needing to download a patch.

First time I have noticed Juiced 2 at $5 so not sure if that was just added today as one of the ones they don't advertise on the 5 year page or not. Already have it so it could just be that I never noticed it. But for $5 that is a good buy for anybody that doesn't have it IMO. As long as they keyboard isn't your only playing option that is. And unlike the Steam version the achievements are not broken for anybody that cares about that.

Anybody play MLB Front Office Manager and know if it is worth $5?

FYI Steam has demos of Mount and Blade, World of Goo, Defense Grid, Cogs, Light of Altair, The Path, and Gish. Fileshack has a Sword of the Stars demo and there are demos for Bridge Construction Set and Zatikon here.

I already have World of Goo and Defense Grid (both great) and I am going to be busy trying out demos for the rest this afternoon.

Defense Grid should be a no-brainer if you're even mildly amused by tower-defense games. It's extremely well-polished, has tons of content, a leaderboard, and has 57 Steam achievements.

World of Goo didn't match the hype, in my opinion, but is still well-worth $5.00. The gameplay is unique and it's quite long.

I've heard great things about Mount & Blade so I may try that.

Man, what a disappointing week. I can't believe Braid wasn't included. This week gets a definite skip from me. Perhaps the War Games Week will yield something worthwhile.

[quote name='Arcturiang']I will eventually. See, I didn't have a terrible experience with it -- just not a good one. "Meh." I'm only two hours in, but three days later I triple-dipped on Oblivion and am now going through that with 30 mods or so.

I'm dream-specced in TQ, and I'll admit, I laughed the first time my force spell blasted through ten skeletons. But graphics and physics don't make a game, and with the isometric view and dull story and missions the game's about as immersive as a spreadsheet.

Eventually.[/QUOTE]

I agree about graphics and physics, probably more than anybody considering how old I am, but they certainly add to the fun for me. The game is practically a 1 to 1 ripoff of Diablo, and so that sort of game has to appeal to you. But assuming you like that game, and can get over the fact that Blizzard didn't make it (the biggest complaint I hear about the game is that it's a Diablo wannabe, but never any reason other than that for why it's worse), there's a lot to love.

The big milestones for the game come when you finally get your second skill set, and finally make it higher up the skill ladder. When you get there, the game finally finds solid footing. The story is pretty mediocre, which is where Blizzard has the game beat, but the gameplay saves it and then some. But really, for me, the expansion pack levels are far and away the best. Egypt was probably my least favorite collection of locations, but Japan on through to the end of the expansion are spectacular.

Looks like I'll finally get World of Goo (missed the Steam sale a while back). Was planning to get Defense Grid on XBLA, but for half the price I may have to go with D2D. Anyone know if the Xbox version has anything extra (besides achievements)?

Update: Just did a search and 1up says "The XBLA version is said to include all the tweaks and patches of the PC, along with a new Borderlands mission pack and three new challenge modes." That might be worth another $5.

[quote name='Springheeled Jack']I agree about graphics and physics, probably more than anybody considering how old I am, but they certainly add to the fun for me. The game is practically a 1 to 1 ripoff of Diablo, and so that sort of game has to appeal to you. But assuming you like that game, and can get over the fact that Blizzard didn't make it (the biggest complaint I hear about the game is that it's a Diablo wannabe, but never any reason other than that for why it's worse), there's a lot to love.

The big milestones for the game come when you finally get your second skill set, and finally make it higher up the skill ladder. When you get there, the game finally finds solid footing. The story is pretty mediocre, which is where Blizzard has the game beat, but the gameplay saves it and then some. But really, for me, the expansion pack levels are far and away the best. Egypt was probably my least favorite collection of locations, but Japan on through to the end of the expansion are spectacular.[/QUOTE]

I got to about the middle of the expansion content, and just stopped playing. Take that as you will.

I'm happy! I finally got world of goo. Thanks D2D! I would really like to see CoDWaW for $5 with the "war" sale... wishful thinking, I know.

Come on, people. M&B, World of Goo, Defense Grid, Sword of the Stars, Cogs, Gish, The Path? This is pretty much as good a selection as they've had so far.

And before anyone asks: You can activate Defense Grid on Steam, BUT THAT IS THE ONLY ONE.

I highly recommend both Defense Grid and World of Goo. I think you can register Defense Grid on Steam too?

Defense grid is an extremly polished Tower Defense game with lots of variety and really allows for multiple possible strategies in later levels.

World of Goo is a very unique puzzle game with a simple mechanic that they build upon, with a new, creative twist each level. You'll keep playing another level just to see what they introduce next.

[quote name='probin74243']Looks like I'll finally get World of Goo (missed the Steam sale a while back). Was planning to get Defense Grid on XBLA, but for half the price I may have to go with D2D. Anyone know if the Xbox version has anything extra (besides achievements)?

Update: Just did a search and 1up says "The XBLA version is said to include all the tweaks and patches of the PC, along with a new Borderlands mission pack and three new challenge modes." That might be worth another $5.[/QUOTE]

As mentioned, Defense Grid can be activated through Steam giving you all those achievements. I know the devs have just started hinting around about additional content on their Steam forum - no idea if that's the Borderlands stuff, additional, or something else entirely or whether or not it will be free. Just something to think about.

[quote name='msdmoney']I highly recommend both Defense Grid and World of Goo. I think you can register Defense Grid on Steam too?[/QUOTE]

Can anyone confirm that you can register this version of the game through Steam? I've never bought anything through Direct2Drive before - do they actually issue a serial you can input into Steam?

So I have been tempted to pick up Civ 4 and I see that it is on the list of still available games..... very tempting.

[quote name='E_G_Man']So I have been tempted to pick up Civ 4 and I see that it is on the list of still available games..... very tempting.[/QUOTE]
For five dollars there's absolutely no reason not to. It's an absolutely stellar strategy must-have. Bear in mind, however, that in all of CivIV's greatness, the Beyond the Sword expansion pack makes it exponentially better. So if you buy it and enjoy it, I HIGHLY recommend snagging, at minimum, that expansion.

I love the game with a passion, but for my time restraints and strategy skills, I actually liked the console Civ:Revolutions better. People always argue with me, but I liked the console take on it in terms of just simpler fun.

I already have World of Goo and thought I'd give everything else a miss, but since Defense Grid is being so well spoken of, I guess I'll drop a Lincoln for it. Can't imagine Steam is going to happy that people will be able to buy the game from D2D for $5 when they sell it for $20 only to have those codes come and get tied to user's Steam accounts, putting them on the hook to serve up the data.

[quote name='DirkBelig']I already have World of Goo and thought I'd give everything else a miss, but since Defense Grid is being so well spoken of, I guess I'll drop a Lincoln for it. Can't imagine Steam is going to happy that people will be able to buy the game from D2D for $5 when they sell it for $20 only to have those codes come and get tied to user's Steam accounts, putting them on the hook to serve up the data.[/QUOTE]

If Steam is willing to sell it for $5, I'd consider buying it through there instead. :D

It's worth noting that anyone interested in World of Goo should check Target if they have one nearby. I bought a copy just a few days ago for $3.74 on deep clearance.

Defense Grid is indeed great.

WTF is up with Direct2Drive's payment system. It seems like a random crapshoot whether it accepts my credit card/paypal account or not. Last week, no. A few days ago, yes. Today, no. Get your site together, FFS.

Edit:
I keep getting errors from D2D, transactions not finishing or server errors. Anyone else?
Not just you.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']If Steam is willing to sell it for $5, I'd consider buying it through there instead. :D[/QUOTE]

I bought it on Steam for $5 about 6 months ago. :cool:

Mount & Blade is like crack ... the combat on horseback is simply unrivaled ...

It's a bit rough around the edges and drifts a bit as a free roaming game ... but omg, the combat is incredible ... so damn fun .... it feels like a cross between Braveheart and uh ... something decidedly more Knights and Shields and Swords-ish

Can't recommend M&B enough ... if they ever make a sequel or add the combat system to an MMO, it would be the most fun MMO I can conceive of ... it's really that good

[quote name='DirkBelig']Can't imagine Steam is going to happy that people will be able to buy the game from D2D for $5 when they sell it for $20 only to have those codes come and get tied to user's Steam accounts, putting them on the hook to serve up the data.[/QUOTE]
It's no more skin off their teeth than when someone buys it for $20 from D2D, and then activates it on Steam.

Do you think that they would offer that service, if it was a problem for them? They have made it clear that they don't have a problem with publishers having their games be able to be activated on Steam, with CD keys from retail or other online stores.

And the reason they don't have a problem with this has nothing to do with kindness: when publishers opt to have keys from retail and other digital stores activatable on Steam, that factors into their contract with Valve, who takes a slightly nicer cut from the profits, for offering the service.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']If Steam is willing to sell it for $5, I'd consider buying it through there instead. :D[/QUOTE]

Both WoG and Defense Grid have been $5 on Steam, not too long ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on the reviews, World of Goo and Defense Grid are the two most recommended. World of Goo is certainly worth the $5.31, but I'm "on the fence" for Defense Grid.

Defense Grid seems to have only 20 levels, so we're talking only a few addicted sittings. If it had 100 or so, the deal would be sealed. I guess I'm truly passing until next week.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Based on the reviews, World of Goo and Defense Grid are the two most recommended. World of Goo is certainly worth the $5.31, but I'm "on the fence" for Defense Grid.

Defense Grid seems to have only 20 levels, so we're talking only a few addicted sittings. If it had 100 or so, the deal would be sealed. I guess I'm truly passing until next week.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't go by number of levels, I think Defense Grid took me longer than World of Goo. I put nearly 20 hours into Defense Grid, although you could finish it faster than that I'm sure, especially if you didn't try to beat the levels without losing a health bar. I would say World of Goo took me less than half of that, maybe 5-7 hours. World of Goo levels are pretty short once you figure out the trick to a level, it all depends how long it takes you to figure that trick out.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Based on the reviews, World of Goo and Defense Grid are the two most recommended. World of Goo is certainly worth the $5.31, but I'm "on the fence" for Defense Grid.

Defense Grid seems to have only 20 levels, so we're talking only a few addicted sittings. If it had 100 or so, the deal would be sealed. I guess I'm truly passing until next week.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, definitely don't let the number of levels concern you. There is a lot of gameplay if you're looking to master them with no enemy leaks and there are also 2-3+ extra challenges on each map that alters the rules a bit that makes it worth trying it again. Some examples are: stronger aliens, using only level 1 (green towers = no upgrades), only being able to use a limited number of towers, using only a set supply of resources, and plenty more!

I found it absolutely worth the price for $10 on the 360, but I also have the Borderlands content with it, which to be fair though, I haven't even touched yet x.x, since I've already invested quite a fair amount of hours into just the regular storyline and am probably only 3/4 of the way through :).

Drakensang is looking like a really solid investment for the $5 I spent. It's got that nice Baldur's Gate tone to it with a ridiculous rule-set running underneath. I'm glad I am getting into this since NWN2 was such a system hog and unimpressed me when it originally came out.

bread's done
Back