War Week & CAG Contest - 5 Weeks of $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct2Drive

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9145[/IMG-R]Celebrate 5 Years of Direct2Drive with 5 Weeks of downloadable games for $5. Each week features a new genre of games to choose from. Buy one game and get a chance to win all 50.

Week 1: Ubisoft and great strategy titles
Week 2: Action
Week 3: RPG /MMO
Week 4: Indie
Week 5: War

:pc: $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct Drive

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Duckman5']Company of Heroes kicks ass. Amazing way to spend 5 dollars. I would get Supreme Commander but I'm afraid my 9600GT with Athlon x2 4000+ 2.1GHZ won't be able to run it. It can't run the WiC demo at all.[/QUOTE]

You can test your system for specific games here:

http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/

This was a great sale but unfortunately I already owned a lot of the games (and paid way more than $5!). But I picked up World in Conflict and Drakensang for $10, can't complain about that.

I had my first experience with D2D last week. The Sonic Mega Collection Plus crashes from the loader screen. I used the support 'service'. So far, the recommendation has come in the form of an automatic reply saying I should update Direct X and contact Sega directly, as well as a human being saying the same thing. That's a pretty unimpressive level of support so far.

Now I've got a ticked with Sega and I'm waiting it out. Honestly, I'm thinking I should just hit D2D with a chargeback and be done with it. I find it odd that I've never had a single issue with Steam over the years and now, the first time I use this other service, I have problems out of the gate.

Has anyone played this that could give me a brief review? I like Demigod and heard good things about this, but don't remember much about it.

D2D has had some good games up, and i'll probably just take a chance at $5.

Sid Meier's games, Mount and Blade, Bioshock!

[quote name='jbhalper']Has anyone played this that could give me a brief review? I like Demigod and heard good things about this, but don't remember much about it.

D2D has had some good games up, and i'll probably just take a chance at $5.

Sid Meier's games, Mount and Blade, Bioshock![/QUOTE]

Sorry! Had a few free moments to look back and got some ideas about SCG. Will just buy it and see how i like it.

[quote name='jbhalper']Sorry! Had a few free moments to look back and got some ideas about SCG. Will just buy it and see how i like it.[/QUOTE]

There's a demo out for Supreme Commander btw. You can see how well your system holds up and how much you like that style of RTS. It's a really unique experience. Took some getting used to for me, but by the end I was really hooked on it.

[quote name='vherub']are ac-130, armored fist 3 or comanche 4 any good?[/QUOTE]

Gamespot gives them scores of (not scored), 5.6, and 7.7. The reader reviews give some different perspectives, though. Of course, any enjoyment depends on your stomach for sims.
No firsthand knowledge of them, sorry.

Boy, World in Conflict has turned into a major disaster for me. It can't play the game, the benchmark is broken, it can't be uninstalled (it only offers reinstall!), patching it doesn't fix it and now it says it can't find the game data files. D2D links to the WIC site for support which links to Ubisoft which has nothing in the way of help. Googling only finds warez kidz and people with problems with DVD copies not copying all the files. Thank God I'm formatting my rig in two weeks for the final Windows 7, because it's thoroughly jacked up. I'm scared to reinstall it now. Anyone else running this on a 64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise RTM load?

[quote name='DirkBelig']...I'm scared to reinstall it now. Anyone else running this on a 64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise RTM load?[/QUOTE]

I'm running it on Vista Ultimate 64-bit.. runs perfectly. On a side note, on my Win 7 RTM I cannot get EVEN ONE single game to run without instant bluescreen as soon as vid card is accessed (WoW, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead, Bejewelled 2!). Win 7 fully patched and clean in every way. I'm not sure your problem is with WIC, perhaps Win 7 is not ready for games yet.

[quote name='crusader4321']I'm running it on Vista Ultimate 64-bit.. runs perfectly. On a side note, on my Win 7 RTM I cannot get EVEN ONE single game to run without instant bluescreen as soon as vid card is accessed (WoW, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead, Bejewelled 2!). Win 7 fully patched and clean in every way. I'm not sure your problem is with WIC, perhaps Win 7 is not ready for games yet.[/QUOTE]I've installed and run w/o problem: Assassin's Creed, Defense Grid, Far Cry 2, Crysis, HL2 Lost Coast, TF2, and Company of Heroes. I played the tutorial of WIC and the benchmark used to run, but something FUBARed it. I'm wondering if it's the new beta drivers I loaded. Hmmm, that just occurred to me. I'll try knocking them back to the WHQL set.

Rig:
* Gigabyte GA-UX58-UD5 (F9e
)
* Core i7 920 (D0) @ 3.78 GHz
* Corsair Hydro H50 water cooler
* 12GB (6 x 2GB) Patriot Viper DDR3-1600 (10-10-10-30)
* 2 PNY 8800GT 512MB SLI (191.03 beta)
* 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda
* 2 Samsung S223B DVD-RW
* 750W PC Power & Cooling Silencer
* Cooler Master HAF 922
* Windows 7 Enterprise RTM

[quote name='DirkBelig']Boy, World in Conflict has turned into a major disaster for me. It can't play the game, the benchmark is broken, it can't be uninstalled (it only offers reinstall!), patching it doesn't fix it and now it says it can't find the game data files. D2D links to the WIC site for support which links to Ubisoft which has nothing in the way of help. Googling only finds warez kidz and people with problems with DVD copies not copying all the files. Thank God I'm formatting my rig in two weeks for the final Windows 7, because it's thoroughly jacked up. I'm scared to reinstall it now. Anyone else running this on a 64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise RTM load?[/QUOTE]

did you download the install file using the direct2drive/fileplanet program? Not using it can cause problems.
I would recommend wiping it with a program like revo uninstaller, then redownloading the files using the fileplanet downloader.
otherwise your beta drivers comment is probably a good cause.

[quote name='vherub']did you download the install file using the direct2drive/fileplanet program? Not using it can cause problems.
I would recommend wiping it with a program like revo uninstaller, then redownloading the files using the fileplanet downloader.
otherwise your beta drivers comment is probably a good cause.[/QUOTE]I downloaded the zip file manually and unzipped it and installed it manually. I build my own PCs, so I don't require some iToonz interface. It would suck if I had to crap up my system with another app because most people need training wheels. [sigh] This is why I'm shaking things down BEFORE going to final Win7 code. Thanks for the tip about Revo Uninstaller. I was already going to look for something like that and now I've got a name to search for.

I only bit on Titan Quest, and ultimately I regret that. The game's overly repetitive, and really I should've gotten a few other games that I didn't.

I bit on Company of Heroes, even if my backlog is immense.
This has been a great 5 weeks in D2D; ultimately got:
Titan Quest (fun with a friend!)
Mount & Blade (didn't really have any high expectations, but so far, so amazing)
Company of Heroes (another RTS on the pile. *eyes Starcraft/Warcraft III campaigns not being finished*)

well with the other weeks included, I picked up:

Bioshock
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Supreme Commander
Company of Heroes Gold Edition

they have a very nice selection but those are the 4 that I limited myself to. Was going after Civ IV but keeping to my budget.

let the download chug begin!

*Thanks to CheapyD for the OP and heads up!

[quote name='dkl415']I only bit on Titan Quest, and ultimately I regret that. The game's overly repetitive, and really I should've gotten a few other games that I didn't.[/QUOTE]

You need friends to play with.

[quote name='DirkBelig']I downloaded the zip file manually and unzipped it and installed it manually. I build my own PCs, so I don't require some iToonz interface. It would suck if I had to crap up my system with another app because most people need training wheels. [sigh] This is why I'm shaking things down BEFORE going to final Win7 code. Thanks for the tip about Revo Uninstaller. I was already going to look for something like that and now I've got a name to search for.[/QUOTE]

I understand not wanting to install applications to help download files from the internet.
I had a problem with riddick from direct2drive, where it would not install properly when I downloaded the file, it was only after installed their downloader tool, that it installed and ran fine
annoying, but the downloader program can be removed easily enough

I picked up a few games over the weeks and have enjoyed most of them immensely, but I think I've now finally realized that I just suck when it comes to RTSes and should probably just avoid them in the future. I tried Supreme Commander on normal and was wiped out in the second level while I was building up my huge pretty army and like 50 fighters came in and owned my commander. I turtle way too much, and I know I turtle too much, but I still do it every time. Oh well.

[quote name='CaptainBarry']I picked up a few games over the weeks and have enjoyed most of them immensely, but I think I've now finally realized that I just suck when it comes to RTSes and should probably just avoid them in the future. I tried Supreme Commander on normal and was wiped out in the second level while I was building up my huge pretty army and like 50 fighters came in and owned my commander. I turtle way too much, and I know I turtle too much, but I still do it every time. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

Is this in the singelplayer? I always turtled up there as well. I think you basically have to. Don't start building an army until you have some solid defenses down. Bombers aren't so bad if you get a few Anti-Air guns and some fighters doing patrols.

[quote name='vherub']I understand not wanting to install applications to help download files from the internet.
I had a problem with riddick from direct2drive, where it would not install properly when I downloaded the file, it was only after installed their downloader tool, that it installed and ran fine
annoying, but the downloader program can be removed easily enough[/QUOTE]I've installed the stupid Download Manager and the only option it's giving me is to redownload my purchase again. The POS can't even see that the files are already in the Downloads folder?!?!? I'm supposed to burn another 6.57 GB of bandwidth and wait 2-3 hours because they have to make their program simple enough that even people too stupid to use a Mac can manage?!?!? fuck that noise!! No wonder console gaming is huge and PC gaming is dying!:bomb:

UPDATE: I was able to get it FULLY installed by running the setup as Administrator. It added a 2nd setup phase for the Soviet Assault portion and the mission started with the Soviet attack on Berlin, not the old versions attack on Seattle. Unfortunately, it just CTDed on me in the middle of a mission, so there may be some patching necessary.

I only bought one game, Riddick, this whole sale but I really quite enjoyed that game having never played Butcher Bay before. For such an old game it was rather easy to become engrossed in it.

[quote name='TwistedBishop']Is this in the singelplayer? I always turtled up there as well. I think you basically have to. Don't start building an army until you have some solid defenses down. Bombers aren't so bad if you get a few Anti-Air guns and some fighters doing patrols.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was single player. I thought I had tons of anti-air defense but the sheer volume of planes blowing away my commander was too much to handle. :(

All the X-com games for $5? What an awesome deal. I loved the series when I was younger and still do now. They are the games that introduced me to strategy.

I actually own all Civ IV and expansions but I do not own colonization. I think 5 bucks is the cheapest it's ever gonna get so might as well buy all the games again in the Gold package. The question I have is can I just install colonization being that it was a stand alone?

I've bought a lot from this sale. Most I still need to begin downloading. Bioshock is a must! :)

Keep in mind Sonic Mega Collection for PC uses the PAL versions (even 3D Blast has its EU name). So they may feel a bit slow at times. Less noticable the faster Sonic is moving.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']I actually own all Civ IV and expansions but I do not own colonization. I think 5 bucks is the cheapest it's ever gonna get so might as well buy all the games again in the Gold package. The question I have is can I just install colonization being that it was a stand alone?[/QUOTE]

I think the complete CivIV is $40 still

Does anyone have any problems getting online with titanquest. I always get an error message when I search and it ends up qutting me off the game. I don't know what to do so far Ive been playing the sp campaign but would love to play with friends.

Alright fellas, this is what I've bought:

Bioshock
Supreme Commander Gold
World in Conflict Gold
Company of Heroes Gold
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War Gold

The list is a lil heavy on the RTS side, and I'm looking for an action/shooter game that's really good.

I have 5 more bucks I can spend, so that's 1 more game. Any recs?

[quote name='Default09']I have 5 more bucks I can spend, so that's 1 more game. Any recs?[/QUOTE]

I don't think you'll be disappointed with Riddick. It's essentially two games. I played Butcher Bay and it was awesome.

I would take any of the games in the RPG genre. Too bad I was broke at the time that the RPG week was going on.

[quote name='mokmoof']Bit on Mount and Blade at the last minute. I do not regret this decision one bit.[/QUOTE]
I to grabbed Mount and Blade on a whim.
I've been playing it non-stop since. Great game.
Looking forward to Warband.

Just got CoH and I'm having a problem. After installing and launching, the game starts RelicDL and won't let me play. I'd imagine it's trying to patch the game, but it can't. It's not downloading anything and won't let me play the game. If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know.

EDIT: Never mind, I dunno how I fixed it but I did.

EDIT2: Still broken, only now I can't patch the game. Says I hav version 2.0.0.1 which is a non-existant version on their manual patch page and the auto patch will only download 1 of 3 files before stopping. Sweeeeet.

[quote name='mokmoof']Bit on Mount and Blade at the last minute. I do not regret this decision one bit.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='wedge119']I to grabbed Mount and Blade on a whim.
I've been playing it non-stop since. Great game.
Looking forward to Warband.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I bought it with a few other titles thinking it would entertain me for a half hour. I haven't played anything else on the PC for two weeks after starting it. So much fun.

[quote name='bxkid']Does anyone have any problems getting online with titanquest. I always get an error message when I search and it ends up qutting me off the game. I don't know what to do so far Ive been playing the sp campaign but would love to play with friends.[/QUOTE]

Make sure you run the game as an admin.

If you're on Vista, right click on the Titan Quest: Immortal Throne shortcut and select "run as administrator".

ugh! all my free time is gone gone gone!! not to mention sleep. Stayed up til 4am playing civ 4 last night, good thing i have off work today. Never thought i would be able to get into playing that type of game again, but i just couldn't stop. CoH is pretty much doing the same thing to me. I'm really glad i bit on those games. :)

bread's done
Back