Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command Demo available

ksuwild25

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Anyone else try the demo? I never really read anything about the game, but I might pick it up now. The only thing that might hold me back is it said it only has 13 or 15 single player missions.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Media/Game_Demos/16796/Warhammer_40_000_Squad_Command_Game_Demos

I thought the gameplay was great. Reminded me of Silent Storm with the destructible environment and it ran pretty fast and smooth. The only problems I had were I didn't like how the camera didn't follow the enemy actions automatically, and I don't know if you can rotate or zoom the camera.

i should be picking this up tonight. Its listed as $29.99 at gamestop. Hopefully I will have some time to post my opinions late tonight or tomorrow. If anyone cares do to the original response to this thread.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts madportagee. Primarily, I'm wondering if they somehow tie all of the missions together, or if it turns out to be a loose collection of missions. Also, if there's any level of customization, and if it's enough to add replayability to the game.

The demo seemed okay, but a little easy. I also wasn't too crazy about the notion of just controlling nameless grunts who are the same that re-boot from mission to mission.

Aight, just got done playing the game for 2-3 hours. I think i've beat 4 missions out of 15, so it could be fairly short, but then again the missions are getting harder because vehicles are being introduced now and heavier weapons. So its possible for one of your units to die with one hit. There is friendly fire =) accidently sniped one of my guys, didnt realize how close he was to the line of sight. The line of sight works well, only have one complaint, if you are using your sniper rifle or another long ranged weapon you can't aim at your target them scroll the screen back to see whats around the line of sight. Spend more Action Points (AP) and your shot is more accurate, heavier weapons use more AP to shoot. Like i said up higher I accidently sniped my teammate due to not realizing how close he was in the line of sight.

There is no attachment to your troops. Every mission you start fresh. For me thats fine, because you aren't really going to want to stay with your first troops through the whole game. You only have 6 spots for troops and so far what troops I bring into battle are decided for me, but you do get more weapons and different kinds of troops as you progress.

Destructable environments are great. If a enemy troop is sitting on one side of a wall, just blow it up w/ whatever big weapon you have, then take another troop and finish them off. There is splash damage on objects and large weapons, have to be semi careful about that too, or leaving your troops too close together.

Basics consist of moving, firing, crouching, and if you leave your guy w/ enough AP at the end of a turn to fire, anyone that comes into his immediate line of sight that you leave up at the end of your turn, they will fire at.

Online i havent tried yet, but it supports up to 8 players and 1 vs 1 game sharing. 9 Multiplayer maps, but only 15 single player missions.

Personally I have been having a blast w/ it, but I do enjoy turn based games and loved dawn of war. Haven't had any framerate issues and the graphics look pretty good.

The camera does not follow the enemies moves, at first thats different. Later you can just hold the select button watch which enemies move and easily move the camera over. The enemy will move more than one unit at a time, which you can do too (only used it once) might be a cool feature later. If you have a unit crouched and move him, he will move slow (obviously) you can have multiple units walking so you don't have to wait for a guy to run across the map.

Sorry if this jumps around a lot, a bunch of random features kept popping into my head. For $30 as of right now I would say its worth it. Not sure how much harder it will get, but even then, the multiplayer should up the difficulty. Try the demo if you aren't sure about it, if you don't like the demo you won't like the game, if you like turn based games you will enjoy warhammer.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Tried to say as much as I could without giving away any of the weapons you start to get.

Nice review, Mad. Thanks.

Being a diehard Dawn of War fan, this seems like an instant purchase. My only complaint with the demo was, as you mentioned, the computer not panning the camera over to the enemy's movements automatically. It seemed perfectly polished and satisfying otherwise.

One question, is there much of a storyline in the game? Or are they just random missions with a brief text splash page?

Appreciate the review. I just have a few minor questions as well:

Are there any other single player modes other than the story campaign?

Can you go back and replay individual missions?

There is a little text before each mission, but also short cg movies between some missions.

You can go back and replay missions, but you can't use the new weapons or units you unlocked. Have to do it with the same people. It does keep a score for each mission based on how many turns it takes to win, units killed, etc... So if you go back and play one you atleast have something to try and beat.

No extra singleplayer modes yet. There might be some to unlock, but probably not. There are a couple of multiplayer modes though. I should test that out tonight or tomorrow.

Wanted to chime in my thanks with the others for the review madportagee. I'll probably give this a pick-up after I finish Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea & Jeanne D'Arc...well, god knows how long that will take :)

Another question though: are there alot of enemies that attack you once and basically kills your unit with a single hit? (like the Chaos guys from the demo)

yes and no. Depends which unit of yours they hit. I don't know what the demo had but your space marines will take a couple hits from the chaos marines strong weapons. Scouts will die from a direct hit. You also get weapons to knock them out with one direct hit though too. I find myself never leaving anyone in the open if possible and the Ai is decent about that too.

bread's done
Back