Wario Land Shake... is 2D!! IGN Review 8.4

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']good news...

http://www.siliconera.com/2008/06/24/europe-takes-wario-to-the-shake-dimension-this-september/[/quote]
Even better news:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318591

Wario Land™: Shake It!, a classic side-scroller for the Wii console launching Sept. 29, stars Wario, the smelly, bad-mannered alter ego of Mario™. With the Wii Remote™ controller turned sideways like an old-school controller, veterans and newcomers alike can run, jump and smash their way through hectic side-scrolling stages. Players shake the Wii Remote to help Wario take down his enemies, empty bags of treasure or cause earthquakes. Best of all, there are numerous stages each offering multiple missions to keep players coming back again and again to unlock everything, collect more coins or just improve their best times.
24136mr.jpg

man the europe release is old news...

it got rated and dated on the euro-esrb thing weeks ago!!

and nothing wrong with sidebars on 2D games... shmup style yo.

September is crazy rite now, this game, Yggdra Union, and DQ4 oh my!

[quote name='JEKKI']
and nothing wrong with sidebars on 2D games... shmup style yo.

September is crazy rite now, this game, Yggdra Union, and DQ4 oh my![/quote]

I'd understand if it was vertical, but it's a side scroller.

Kirby Super Star Ultra same day as Wario Land too. Goddammit.

4:3 presentation? Fuucccccckkkkkk....

But despite that, it looks really polished and I'll take a good 2D Wario title anyday of the week.

When I saw news of this today I nearly peed myself. I've been wanting a beautiful side scroller for a non handheld for a while now. Now that I see it's got bars on the side... well... that sort of bums me out. I'll still most likely get this tho. I hope it's at least as good as the New Super Mario game that came out for DS.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']SD for Wii in general is bad enough, but 4:3? No thanks.[/quote]

So you would skip a game like this because of the aspect ratio? :lol:

[quote name='GizmoGC']Is this a WiiWare game?[/QUOTE]

No, even though it SHOULD be.
This game looks bad ass, but $50 badass? :whistle2:\

This would have made a great $10 WiiWare game

[quote name='lilboo']No, even though it SHOULD be.
This game looks bad ass, but $50 badass? :whistle2:\

This would have made a great $10 WiiWare game[/quote]

Just because it's 2D it's not worth $50? How about if it was on a handheld?

I love the WarioLand series (Wario > Mario IMO), and I'll gladly pay $50 for this game.

I have never liked a Wario 2D game, except the one on GBA.
So I will just get this if the reviews are above 7, I sure hope it's good because it's always fun to have a new game to play.
Just 50$? Over here new games costs around 80$+. I would totally get this game if it cost 50$

Looks great. This has been a great week for announcements of old school games. Wario, CTDS, Kirby SS. MegaMan 9. Damn.

I thought this game was for the ds? Maybe it was just the wii's shitty graphics but that video I just saw looked like it could have been on the ds.

[quote name='HuppSav']I thought this game was for the ds? Maybe it was just the wii's shitty graphics but that video I just saw looked like it could have been on the ds.[/quote]

Exactly. I would have been sold if I could have seen a little Wario sweat. :roll:

woooow!

Wario Land 2 and 3 on GBC are 2 of my all time favorite games. Never could really get into 4 (why the departure from gameplay styles!) and the GCN game was fun, but not the same.

Now THIS looks like it may be returning to the more 2/3 style of play (multiple objectives per level). Where do I sign up?

[quote name='lilboo']The animation on that looks awesome![/quote]

Shane B from 1Up said that Wario's 2D sprite animation is probably the best he has ever seen. This game looks awesome.

Some of the moves in that trailer resemble the ones he has in Smash (c stick dash and the fart)...so I guess this is his game (and it's 2d so he doesn't take away from nintendo's other genres? ...as in not to intrude on mario's 3d platforming). I see this as being a killer WiiWare title...I also see this as a bomb (in sales and reviews) as a full wii retail title though (see: Waro Master of Disguise on ds).

[quote name='javeryh']After the horrid Wario World which I place at the top of my "worst games of all time" list (tied with Star Fox Adventures) I will never play another Wario game again. I just hate everything about that stupid character. It's almost unbearable to see him in other Nintendo titles.[/quote]

I actually liked Star Fox Adventures. ;) Why all the hate man? Btw, I love the hand drawn look of this game. Hoping it will cost less than $50 though...

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't really paying attention to this until today, but the game looks fantastic. I haven't played a Wario game before today but I will be very tempted to start here with this release.

I was curious to see who was developing this title, and it looks like it's done by a new company headed under Shigeharu Umezaki, "Good-feel". Is this a third party developer, or a new second party developer?

We need a new Yoshi's Island/Metroid in this style. Nintendo needs to get on this stat!

[quote name='BlueLobstah']
We need a new Yoshi's Island/Metroid in this style. Nintendo needs to get on this stat![/quote]

SMW! SMW! SMW! SMW!

Wouldn't mind the Metroid one though.

i wasn't the biggest fan of the wario games. there just wasn't enough fun platforming. i actually kind of liked the gamecube game. but i don't think that this new game is all that similar to that one.

but this new one looks really good. that why i love nintendo so much. they keep throwing me those old fashioned platforming games i've always loved. i do hope it doesn't cost too much though.

[quote name='Foo228']SMW! SMW! SMW! SMW!

Wouldn't mind the Metroid one though.[/QUOTE]

I could see a SMW style to it, but I think it fits Yoshi's Island much better.

New video with more gameplay: http://www.wipido.com/main/video/external/1720

The above video proves the the animation in this game is fantastic. Wario looks amazing, bosses look amazing... damn.

Edit: Video shows 5,800 yen? I guess this means that the game will debut at $50 here in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BlueLobstah']I could see a SMW style to it, but I think it fits Yoshi's Island much better.

New video with more gameplay: http://www.wipido.com/main/video/external/1720

The above video proves the the animation in this game is fantastic. Wario looks amazing, bosses look amazing... damn.

Edit: Video shows 5,800 yen? I guess this means that the game will debut at $50 here in the US.[/QUOTE]

ouch. but if it were a super mario world sized game, that would probably be worth 50 to me. and with a disk i can sell it and only be out 10 or 15 bucks.

The gameplay videos look very impressive, this game easily has one of the best art styles and some of the best animation on any of the three consoles.

Hopefully it wont be super short, I can't see myself spending $50 unless it's a decent length. Who knows, maybe Nintendo of America will give this game a lower price point.

hellz yeay!!

holding wii mote on its side NES style = dreams come true!!

intro movie is also on youtube:

[youtube]tDkpbqM50EQ[/youtube]

This game is the tits. What sucks is that in the opening and menus you are treated to some awesome 16:9 anime-esque Wario and once you begin a level you get border cropping. It looks and plays fantastic but it brings up whether the developers were lazy or if this was originally a Gamecube title.

Controls -
D-Pad - Move
1 - Dash/Tackle/Whatever you wanna call it
- Pick up, you pick up bags of coins and you shake the remote to get out all the coins
- Throw, grab an item/stunned enemy and tilt the remote to aim
2 - Jump (press down in the air for Butt Stomp)
Shake - Punch the ground, shakes the whole screen to drop items, move platforms, solve puzzles

Each level you rescue some fairy character. Theres also 3 hidden treasures in each level. When you reach the end you set the fairy guy free then a timer shows up and you have to make it back to the beginning of the stage to complete it. Its simple but fun as after the first few stages you start getting more clever puzzles, usually involving tilting. Of course each set of levels caps off with a boss fight.

Overall solid title. Everyone will love it.

Wiifolder did a tour of this game. I must say this game is fucking wario land for the game boy. It has the same idea of the old games as you find treasure chests in the levels and you find hidden treasure maps to unlock secret levels. Very impressed indeed.

Interesting, never played Wario Land. Also forgot to mention to unlock new levels you have to actually buy the map for the next world. Seems like its balanced though, I finished the first two and after beating the boss I have pretty much exactly enough to buy the next worlds map.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Hopefully it wont be super short, I can't see myself spending $50 unless it's a decent length.[/quote]
Word on the street is that the main game is about 6-8 hours long, and not that difficult to die at (similar to the earlier Wario Land games). On the other hand, the ass-kicking hard stuff comes from getting secret treasures, achievements, and time trials on each level (you finish each level by rescuing a guy and running to the exit before a countdown expires).

[quote name='CouRageouS']What sucks is that in the opening and menus you are treated to some awesome 16:9 anime-esque Wario and once you begin a level you get border cropping. It looks and plays fantastic but it brings up whether the developers were lazy or if this was originally a Gamecube title.[/quote]
Actually, I think it's for keeping the game balanced for different display sizes. If the borders weren't there, people who play it on a 16:9 TV could see more of each level than someone playing it on a 4:3 TV. The alternative would've been to add black bars at the top and bottom of each screen if you're playing it on a 4:3 TV (to fake a 16:9 display), but then some folks would complain about that...

--R.J.

[quote name='rjung']Word on the street is that the main game is about 6-8 hours long, and not that difficult to die at (similar to the earlier Wario Land games). On the other hand, the ass-kicking hard stuff comes from getting secret treasures, achievements, and time trials on each level (you finish each level by rescuing a guy and running to the exit before a countdown expires).[/QUOTE]
I'm about four worlds in and I'd say this game is pretty damn easy. The majority of the hidden treasures are painfully obvious and I've always had plenty of time beating the countdowns. I'd say 6-8 hours is about right but it has replay value if you want to get all the treasure and like time trials.

[quote name='rjung']
Actually, I think it's for keeping the game balanced for different display sizes. If the borders weren't there, people who play it on a 16:9 TV could see more of each level than someone playing it on a 4:3 TV.
[/QUOTE]
Thats a horrible excuse. Wii developers are dating their games by not presenting in 16:9 as a standard.

[quote name='CouRageouS']
Thats a horrible excuse. Wii developers are dating their games by not presenting in 16:9 as a standard.[/quote]
So what would you have done if you were the developer?

This game comes out next week.
Anyone getting it?
I was excited for Samba De Amigo, but not so much now. :whistle2:(

I'll probably be going to GS in a day or 2 to trade in some shit thanks to the $15 promotion and getting this. $50 just seems like a lot, but the game looks so good. The animations are just amazing.

I guess I'm now a Wii hater :( I just think all Wii games should be like $30.. :cry:

bread's done
Back