Warner Bros. Animation Studio shuts down

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
Straight from Paul Dini's blog:
http://kingofbreakfast.livejournal.com/56524.html

'Tis a sad day indeed, I loved the shows they produced, especially Freakazoid, Animaniacs, Pinky & The Brain, and the whole DCAU.

[quote name='Paul Dini']Onto Hollywood, and the demise of Warner Bros. Animation studio. Well, technically the animation division will continue on in a reduced capacity at another location, but this week WB Corporate shuttered its large building in Sherman Oaks. The studio was started in 1989 at the Sherman Oaks Galleria, where it produced such hits as ANIMANIACS, TINY TOON ADVENTURES, PINKY & THE BRAIN, BATMAN, JUSTICE LEAGUE and many others. In 2000 WB Animation moved to a bigger facility across the Galleria Courtyard, and while the studio briefly flourished in its new home, a creeping six year malaise set in that gradually withered the place like a dying vineyard. The reasons for the studio's demise were many. The most crucial, from a simple economic reason, the money to produce such series as TTA and ANIMANIACS simply no longer exists. In the early 90's, licensing fees were high for syndicated cartoons. Today they are next to nothing. There are too many channels showing cartoons. It doesn't matter if they are new series, or reruns or crudely-dubbed Asian imports. If you're only receiving X amount of dollars for commercial time on your program, then your program had better be cheap. Who cares if "Yakko's World" was nicely animated, if more kids are watching POKEMON, then the business edict is clear -- buy more POKEMON. I left Warners in early 2004, but would occassionally do some freelance series development or write episodes of JLU or THE BATMAN for my old pals Bruce Timm and Alan Burnett. As most of the building was empty, last fall I asked for and received permission to use one of the empty offices (at that time there were dozens) as a writer's office for COUNTDOWN, a godsend when I needed a place to store research materials or have a writer's meeting with Adam Beechen. As Bruce and I walked through the halls on Thursday, we watched in astonishment as workers hastily tossed stacks of artwork and personal possessions on trolleys or overloaded the elevators with boxes of office supplies. It felt like the evacuation of Bespin. As opposed to my stint from '89 to '04, (Jeezus, that long?!?) I had no toys to box up, no art to take off the wall, and no cels to send into storage. I simply pulled out all 51 COUNTDOWN story files, tossed them in a small Bekins box and that was it. Encountering Andrea Romano in the elevator, I suggested that the few of us left in the building should gather in the building foyer and sing "Anatevka" from FIDDLER ON THE ROOF before going our separate ways. Instead of the Jewish Fiddler being the last to depart, I could easily imagine the square dance-calling, fiddle-playing Bugs Bunny from "Hillbilly Hare" being the last one to exit the place, a wink to the camera before the final "That's All Folks."[/quote]

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']And another nail in the coffin of AMERICAN animation. :whistle2:([/quote]

Fixed, unfortunately.

Besides Avatar, the DCAU was the only thing that rivaled the story arcs, art direction and action of popular anime.

This is a damn shame. I loved Animaniacs and Tiny Toons. They were the basis for me making friends in elementary school. And to hear that the animation studio is getting "downsized," it breaks my heart.

Did this come out already? It's a clip from Superman: Doomsday. Probably the last thing we'll ever see from WB.:cry:

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpnA8tZuSPM[/MEDIA]

[quote name='myxyplik']Did this come out already? It's a clip from Superman: Doomsday. Probably the last thing we'll ever see from WB.:cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpnA8tZuSPM[/quote]Yeah, I think it came out last year, or at least around that time. Great episode, including
Lex Luthor helping Superman take out Alternate Superman.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Fixed, unfortunately.

Besides Avatar, the DCAU was the only thing that rivaled the story arcs, art direction and action of popular anime.[/quote]
If Warner Brothers gave me a job I would start a new animation empire :cool:

I have lots of crazy ideas for animated shows.

its not surprising. the way they make cartoons now is diff and since peopel lean more towards cgi in animation or anime style toons it was only a matter of time. sucks though but thats what dvd collections are for. remembering and reliving. we'll always have the singing frog cartoon in our hearts and minds lol. and foghorn leghorn and the chicken hawk. and the 3 little bops.....or are those last 2 from someone else? i wanna singa about the moona and the junea in the springa.

CGI movies, while not awful, are ruining things for kids in the next generation. I feel like an old man while saying this, but I can remember clearly waking up on saturday morning, pouring myself a bowl of cereal, and watching Looney Tunes until the next program came on. THAT was a saturday morning.

It was the same thing with movies. Cartoon movies had such a high value because they were simple, but you could easily get into them. Now that CGI animated movies appear to be the norm, they don't appeal to me as much, even though I'm older. I'll try to channel that kid inside of me, but even he doesn't want to see it.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']It was the same thing with movies. Cartoon movies had such a high value because they were simple, but you could easily get into them. Now that CGI animated movies appear to be the norm, they don't appeal to me as much, even though I'm older. I'll try to channel that kid inside of me, but even he doesn't want to see it.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that most CGI films these days are the same recycled plotlines that we have seen before. Let me go over some that we have seen lately:

Dinosaur - Ripoff of Land Before Time with no heart to it.
Cars - A family clean ripoff of Doc Hollywood.
Madagascar vs The Wild - Bugs Life vs Ants anyone? Except that neither Madagascar or The Wild was even good.
Finding Nemo - Ripoff of Land Before Time except its the parent trying to find the kid now.

Now yeah I'm probably am missing one or two at least in there but my point still stands.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']CGI movies, while not awful, are ruining things for kids in the next generation. I feel like an old man while saying this, but I can remember clearly waking up on saturday morning, pouring myself a bowl of cereal, and watching Looney Tunes until the next program came on. THAT was a saturday morning.

It was the same thing with movies. Cartoon movies had such a high value because they were simple, but you could easily get into them. Now that CGI animated movies appear to be the norm, they don't appeal to me as much, even though I'm older. I'll try to channel that kid inside of me, but even he doesn't want to see it.[/quote]

damn dont remind me i sooooo miss saturday cartoons. yeah there are still some on tv and yes theres the cartoon network but its not the same thing. i remember getting up 6am every saturday to watch cartoons till noon. every major network had them and you could spend hours switchign from channel to channel every 30 minutes or so. the worst was when 2 great shows came on at the same time and having to choose lol. teen wolf, galaxy high , lazer tag academt, thundar, get along gang, kissy fur, beetlejuice, rubick the amazing cube, dungeons and dragons.

and who can forget the very first cartoon every morning the advs of rocky and bullwinkle. sherman and mr peabody , that roman guy man you dont get stuff like that anymore. oh yeah and real ghostbusters was cool too. freakin turbo teen and mr t man the cartoons back then ranged from awesome to wtf are you smokin but thats all gone and dead now.

bread's done
Back