WARNING: Xbox 360 System Trades down to $120/$150 (wired/wireless controller)

merkman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
My 4th 360 locked up this morning during a game of Madden '07 (first game of the playoffs in Dynasty mode. Wanting to avoid more trouble, I thought maybe it was time to trade for an Elite. And with the extra $20 in trade with 3 games right now, I took 7 games down there.

Well, besides Rumble Roses XX not qualifying, PGR3 didn't either. So I'd have to pick another game to trade, and then I can get about $90 for 6 games, and $5 for my extra copy of PGR3. BUT...

When I asked about the 360 system as a trade in, the prices have dropped significantly. And while I know there was a trade-in offer that helped when the Elites were still new, $120 or $150 for a 360? Man... that sucks!!! :(

Guess I'll have to baby my 360 until it dies AGAIN, then wait a month for MS to replace it a FOURTH time! :( :( :(

My local GameStop was offering $100 trade in for a PS3 for your old PS2, 2 controllers, and memory card. I bet you that offer will be dropped with Sony's $100 price drop of the PS3.

with all the 360's that have went down it would be nice if microsoft would offer some kind of "pay 130$ and we will send you back an elite" or something like that. then they can fix up the premiums they receive and sell them as refurbished of send them back out to the next person whose premium died.

and by the way if the ps3 drops to 500$ which is looking very probable the 360 will definatly also drop too. id guess it would drop to 349 though and not 299.

[quote name='Jobb']www.livejournal.com[/QUOTE]

:lol:

OP, while this info is helpful, it's not exactly a deal. This would've been better in deal discussions.

I think you should sell it on eBay and make it clear that it's covered by MS's new 3 year warranty. You should be able to get at least $250 for the system and if your games make another $150 (depending on what they are).

[quote name='mtxbass1']This smells of a price drop on the 360 coming. Who wants to take bets they announce this at E3 and one up Sony?[/quote]

That would certainly be historically accurate, since M$ dropped the price on the original Xbox every time the PS2 did, without fail. Wasn't the 1st price drop after only 6 months of being on the market, just to be competitive?

The 360 has a price advantage, and I'm sure they intend on maintaining it and not letting Sony try to close that gap. Microsoft can afford to keep losing money, and while Sony probably can too, they're in a much worse position and are losing more. As soon as I heard about the PS3 going down, I assumed M$ was doing the same.

[quote name='johnnypark']

The 360 has a price advantage, and I'm sure they intend on maintaining it and not letting Sony try to close that gap. Microsoft can afford to keep losing money, and while Sony probably can too, they're in a much worse position and are losing more. As soon as I heard about the PS3 going down, I assumed M$ was doing the same.[/quote]

MS is to the point where they are making a small profit on each 360 sold now, thanks to lower manufacturing costs. They aren't losing any money on the hardware as of this time.

[quote name='mtxbass1']This smells of a price drop on the 360 coming. Who wants to take bets they announce this at E3 and one up Sony?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say they're "one-upping" Sony but they're certainly not pulling any punches.

There won't be a price drop for the 360. If anything the core sku will be nixed and the prices will just shuffle down a tier. No reason the HDD should be so expensive anyway.

The drop in trade value is most likely due to excess used cores and premies sitting at GS thanks to the little Elite trade in deal they had.

edit: They are estimated to lose a good chunk off the extended warranty, so every bit helps since hardware is pretty much always in the red.

It's about time for MS to drop to premium down to $300, nix the core, and lob off $80 from the Elite's pricetag.

Of course, this may piss off some people who bought the elite during the 3 weeks that it was nearly $500.

Man I hope if the 360 pro and core drop the Elite will drop also. I am holding off on an elite to see if the new 65m chips will be packaged with the new batch for fall/winter and also for a price drop. $399.99 for a Elite sounds good

$199.99 - 360 Core
$299.99 - 360 Premium
$399.99 - 360 Elite

those prices can certainly help Microsoft in the holiday sales especially for hardware.

MS has always said that they will keep the Core Sku around to get the 360 to a $150 price point as fast as possible.

At $199, I think the Core systems would finally start moving off the shelves, well provided that MS also comes to their senses and drops the price on the 20GB HDD significantly.

[quote name='Deathmonkey']MS has always said that they will keep the Core Sku around to get the 360 to a $150 price point as fast as possible.[/QUOTE]
When have they ever said that?

I'm not saying they haven't, I just have never heard this before.

If they do keep the core system they ought to put a hard drive in it... which would you know, mean it's really only the core by name.

[quote name='mannysgoldglove']So you wanted to trade in your 360 that you feel is dying? Thats kinda shady man.[/QUOTE]

I hear what your saying, and I don't disagree. But I really wanted an Elite at launch, and only have lasted this long because my 3rd refurbished system (4th total) was working "ok". Personally, I think it's crap that I had my original Xbox 360 for 4-6 months, it dies, and MS sent me someone else's system refurbished, both dirty and in less desirable condition than my own. Add in they didn't move my data to the different hard drive... and frankly, their "help" kinda sucks. :(

Since then, I've kept my hard drive each time and put it on the "new" system. But for all I know my hard drive is part of the problem. I'd love to clean it off, but I'm not paying $180 for a replacement 120GB and the transfer cable. And I can't believe Elite's don't ship with the cable. I asked at my local EB today if they had one to move my data, and the answer was no. This long after the drive and elites have been released, and stores STILL can't move your data?

All I know is, EB will take my system if when they test it... it doesn't red ring of death. So if the rumors are true, and Elite prices fall soon... hopefully I can trade in a few games, get the EB warranty on an Elite (which I didn't get offered when I bought my FIRST one), and never get a refurbished POS again.

Until then, I'd love to just finish my Madden '07 season in Dynasty mode. But the controls seemed to disappear with 2 minutes to go in the first half this morning. And that was BEFORE my condo was 70+ degrees. Guess it will keep until tomorrow...

[quote name='mtxbass1']MS is to the point where they are making a small profit on each 360 sold now, thanks to lower manufacturing costs. They aren't losing any money on the hardware as of this time.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they are making money back on 360 systems with the 360 manufacturing process taken into account, but they certainly haven't made up for the Xbox 1 yet. It's profit in one sense, but not in the grand scheme.
Of course, that's what things like horse armor and gamerpics are for.

I'll be happy if there's a price drop. time to use the BB warranty, get a Ben-Q drive and some $$ to put towards some games.

[quote name='PyroGamer']When have they ever said that?

I'm not saying they haven't, I just have never heard this before.

If they do keep the core system they ought to put a hard drive in it... which would you know, mean it's really only the core by name.[/QUOTE]

I've heard it on multiple podcasts (OXM, 1up etc.) whenever the reason why the Core SKU still exists is questioned.

It makes sense, if there is a price drop it allow them to market a (true) next-gen system at a price similar to, if not cheaper than the Wii (assuming a $50-$100 price drop). Not only that but if the price of the core is dropped to $200 it will be very competitive with the PS2; why buy a $130 last gen system when you can go next-gen for a little more.

There will be NO price drop.
The new warranties are costing an ass-ton.
The trade-in value is low because of all the people turning in broken consoles and low demand for questionable ones.

[quote name='M3wThr33']There will be NO price drop.
The new warranties are costing an ass-ton.
The trade-in value is low because of all the people turning in broken consoles and low demand for questionable ones.[/QUOTE]

Source?

[quote name='GizmoGC']Source?[/QUOTE]
None needed. He's dead-on. The warranties are costing between 1.1 and 1.3 BILLION, straight from microsoft. I don't see them following that up with a price drop. Also, even with a $100 drop, even the elite is STILL cheaper than the PS3. The 360 is better is almost every way (sans Blu Ray), and is cheaper. No price drop needed. At least not at this time. The only reason for a drop would be to drop the core to $250 to compete with the Wii, that Nintendo obviously still doesn't feel is important enough to, oh, I don't know, actually provide stock for... And for his third point: Seriously, who the hell is dumb enough to buy a used 360? No fucking way, as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I hope there's not a drop, since I just bought a second one (no, my first one is fine, I just wanted 2), but if it's only $50, I won't be too mad, since I received 2 free games with it.

[quote name='mietha']None needed. He's dead-on. The warranties are costing between 1.1 and 1.3 BILLION, straight from microsoft. I don't see them following that up with a price drop. Also, even with a $100 drop, even the elite is STILL cheaper than the PS3. The 360 is better is almost every way (sans Blu Ray), and is cheaper. No price drop needed. At least not at this time. The only reason for a drop would be to drop the core to $250 to compete with the Wii, that Nintendo obviously still doesn't feel is important enough to, oh, I don't know, actually provide stock for... And for his third point: Seriously, who the hell is dumb enough to buy a used 360? No fucking way, as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I hope there's not a drop, since I just bought a second one (no, my first one is fine, I just wanted 2), but if it's only $50, I won't be too mad, since I received 2 free games with it.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha, so its an opinion. Well, my opinion is MS will infact do a priced rop come E3. The system has been out for what, 18 months now? Its due for a drop. Core $199, Premium $299, Elite $399. I don't think MS will allow Sony to drop and not counteract with anything. Then again, do they even need to? PS3 is a POS with no games on it so if anyone is stupid enough to choose it over the 360 they deserve the $500 paperweight with ports.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Gotcha, so its an opinion. Well, my opinion is MS will infact do a priced rop come E3. The system has been out for what, 18 months now? Its due for a drop. Core $199, Premium $299, Elite $399. I don't think MS will allow Sony to drop and not counteract with anything. Then again, do they even need to? PS3 is a POS with no games on it so if anyone is stupid enough to choose it over the 360 they deserve the $500 paperweight with ports.[/QUOTE]

damn, more and more 360 fanboy posting....obivously u say that now but down the line u will be bitching to get a PS3...i have had 5 xbox 360s but only ONE ps1, ps2, ps3! never broke nor had any problems...the only games that 360s got is Gear of War and Halo 3 and thats it!

you guys shouldnt be so arrogant and judge a console right away...u aways have to give them a year to a year and a half...360 didnt fully come out intill about 1 1/2 year and its still improving...and this will be true with the Wii and PS3..;)

ok back to topic, yea 360 is due too have a price drop...but i sense that they will do that bundle in game thing again but with the elites...but damn id pay anything if i could play my steel battalion on my 360:cry:

Well, shoprite says... itll be 349.99.

A 349.99 drop is still a killer, but they wont drop to 299.99. I can see them dropping to 349.99 and bundling a game in though, or maybe 3 months of XBL.

The big reason why there needs to be some kind of price drop is that the Elite is a joke at $480 compared to the $499 PS3 60GB.

[quote name='refusedchaos']damn, more and more 360 fanboy posting....obivously u say that now but down the line u will be bitching to get a PS3...i have had 5 xbox 360s but only ONE ps1, ps2, ps3! never broke nor had any problems...the only games that 360s got is Gear of War and Halo 3 and thats it!

you guys shouldnt be so arrogant and judge a console right away...u aways have to give them a year to a year and a half...360 didnt fully come out intill about 1 1/2 year and its still improving...and this will be true with the Wii and PS3..;)

ok back to topic, yea 360 is due too have a price drop...but i sense that they will do that bundle in game thing again but with the elites...but damn id pay anything if i could play my steel battalion on my 360:cry:[/QUOTE]

Dude, I OWN a PS3.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Dude, I OWN a PS3.[/QUOTE]

i do also and i love it....u just have to give the systems sum time...360 had already a headstart

[quote name='refusedchaos']i do also and i love it....u just have to give the systems sum time...360 had already a headstart[/QUOTE]

Ive had it for 7 months and own 0 games. How much time do I need to give a $600 system? My $400 360 was being played to death from Day 1. The only thing my PS3 has seen is Blu-Ray movies. I don't even know where the controller is.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Ive had it for 7 months and own 0 games. How much time do I need to give a $600 system? My $400 360 was being played to death from Day 1. The only thing my PS3 has seen is Blu-Ray movies. I don't even know where the controller is.[/QUOTE]

wow, that's great. on the other hand, I have a bunch of games for it, only one of which is a port and I love it. Holy freaking crap, it's a different opinion!

Has anyone tried to negotiate with EB/Gamestop on time to transfer data from your old HDD unit to the new one that is equipped with the elite? Or for that matter does EB/Gamestop sell the transfer kit? I want to purchase the thing but don't want to get store credit after the fact that I've already paid for the elite. If that's not the case does anyone know if you can use EB/Gamestop credit online?

bread's done
Back