Was bored, did mod.

Thanks! I thought I had totally fubared the mixture too. Guess not LOL!

In fact, 3 days later I'm still using the same batch. Did two white GBA shells that were slightly yellow and are now SUPER white and I've got a really rough DMG GB in there just to test how effective it really is. So far, it looks like it might come out a winner :)

I don't know if my results are as such because of my lighting, but here's my setup (for what it's worth to anyone).

56A54FE4-A309-4A50-9E1D-BB3E5FAE9602-1905-000001168040FCBF_zps3c890ecf.jpg

6ED99935-6614-46C4-A062-40B0528F86BB-1753-0000010BF89117DE_zps08c33706.jpg

2x 15W black light tubes with a sealed plastic bath (helps keep the moisture in so you don't have to re-apply as often). If you have seen some of my older posts, then you know I'm a Halloween junkie so I have DOZENS of blacklights and blacklight fixtures. If I end up doing this often enough I just may make a custom plastic box and mount 3 or 4 fixtures to it. Seems to work :)

Huh, I didn't know you could use blacklights (I didn't realize they emitted UV Rays).

I think I might buy a few and try mounting them inside one of those big plastic tubs seeing as how I have quite a few of them.

Love to see there are Wonderswan fans out there.

What sort of a compound is Retrobrite? Ammonia based or otherwise? And have you any idea how long the bright white will last? Is it more susceptible to light damage (yellowing or possible material weakening) after the initial treatment? With over 600 original My Little Ponies, I've got a few that I picked up on the cheap to restore to better condition. But one difficulty is when they are discolored. The secret in pony land is to use zit cream, but it is VERY unforgiving; leave it on a minute too long and it's destroyed.

[quote name='Strell']AW YEA BOI, Wiggy all up ins dat interview, son.[/QUOTE]
whtie_applause.gif

Retrobright

1 pint (500ml) Hydrogen Peroxide, 10 to 15% strength (40 vol) (available from hairdressers' supplies, e.g. the 'Sally Beauty' franchise in the UK)
2 heaped tablespoonfuls of Xanthan Gum (available from health food shops or online)
1 level teaspoonful of Glycerine (available from pharmacies)
1/4 teaspoonful of "Oxy" laundry booster

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright+Gel

It will last as long as it normally takes to yellow again due to the UV Rays, but the recommend coating it in a
clear acrylic varnish to prevent that.

[quote name='KillerRamen']Huh, I didn't know you could use blacklights (I didn't realize they emitted UV Rays).

I think I might buy a few and try mounting them inside one of those big plastic tubs seeing as how I have quite a few of them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, go for it! Florescent lamps all produce UV light, so any should work in theory. Black lights just add a colored filter to weed out even more of anything on the other end of the spectrum ;)

Like I said, dunno if black lights made a difference, but I have a ton of em on hand, so that's what I used :p

[quote name='guinaevere']Love to see there are Wonderswan fans out there.

What sort of a compound is Retrobrite? Ammonia based or otherwise? And have you any idea how long the bright white will last? Is it more susceptible to light damage (yellowing or possible material weakening) after the initial treatment? With over 600 original My Little Ponies, I've got a few that I picked up on the cheap to restore to better condition. But one difficulty is when they are discolored. The secret in pony land is to use zit cream, but it is VERY unforgiving; leave it on a minute too long and it's destroyed.

whtie_applause.gif
[/QUOTE]

MLPs are vinyl, right?

Vinyl is super weaksauce. Doesn't get along with most any solvents :/

[quote name='KillerRamen']Retrobright

1 pint (500ml) Hydrogen Peroxide, 10 to 15% strength (40 vol) (available from hairdressers' supplies, e.g. the 'Sally Beauty' franchise in the UK)
2 heaped tablespoonfuls of Xanthan Gum (available from health food shops or online)
1 level teaspoonful of Glycerine (available from pharmacies)
1/4 teaspoonful of "Oxy" laundry booster

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright+Gel

It will last as long as it normally takes to yellow again due to the UV Rays, but the recommend coating it in a
clear acrylic varnish to prevent that.
[/QUOTE]

Yup, that's the recipe that I followed. The only change I made was using corn starch instead of Xanthan Gum (since I couldn't easily track it down locally).

Developer can also be purchased in a gelled form, so you can pretty much eliminate all but 2 ingredients (oxy clean and peroxide). That's what I'm gonna do with the next batch. No reason to dick around with thickening a solution that I can buy in a similar state right off the shelf.

They are in fact vinyl. Depending on the year and what country they were manufactured in, you can actually feel the difference by simple touch alone. So your confirming that they are weak is reassuring to hear.

If/When I ever get around to working on them again, I'll be testing on the less valuable ponies before going to anything rare.

Ever use LEDs? I have a couple LED lamps for curing my gel manicures. If I could use those instead of buying new lamps that would save me a dollar or two.

Idea: Mechanical wireless backlit keyboard. I want the clicky clacky but no wire.

No I'm not drunk, it's 5:36 for crying out loud.

Hey Wiggy - love your work. I went through this thread and checked out your blog. Great stuff, man.

How did you learn all this stuff? A lifetime of tinkering or did you have some sort of game modding Yoda? It seems like you can do exterior aesthetic stuff, graphic design, hardware, software, wiring, etc. etc.

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']Hey Wiggy - love your work. I went through this thread and checked out your blog. Great stuff, man.

How did you learn all this stuff? A lifetime of tinkering or did you have some sort of game modding Yoda? It seems like you can do exterior aesthetic stuff, graphic design, hardware, software, wiring, etc. etc.[/QUOTE]

Plain and simple wiggy is a god among the gamer community!

[quote name='detectiveconan16']What happened to Kirby?![/QUOTE]

That's my little mascot buddy for RCG ;)

http://www.facebook.com/RoseColoredGaming

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']Hey Wiggy - love your work. I went through this thread and checked out your blog. Great stuff, man.

How did you learn all this stuff? A lifetime of tinkering or did you have some sort of game modding Yoda? It seems like you can do exterior aesthetic stuff, graphic design, hardware, software, wiring, etc. etc.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Well, my training is in Industrial and Graphic Design, so that's where the packaging/logo design and aesthetic mods come from. Most of the rest is just me screwing around with stuff my whole life. Basically, I break a lot of things, and sometimes cool stuff happens, and sometimes I just end up with broken stuff :p

Busted Nomad from a trade a few weeks back. Busted no more. In fact, better than it ever was. Stronger, better, faster...

nomadx1_zps037ca641.jpg

nomadx2_zps2e2c651d.jpg

That...is really hot. Hot like the surface of the sun. Hopefully I will one day be rich enough to commission your services, wiggyx.

Hey wiggyx, I'm thinking about adding video ports to my consoles, in case I lose the cables. What's a good small drill strong enough to go through ABS plastic and won't put a dent in my wallet? A hobby drill probably won't do, since model kits are thinner than consoles.

I hope to put a VGA port in my Dreamcast, but I guess that's for a dremel since I'll also need to install a little switch. Ah, I'd rather have someone else do that for me.:razz:

[quote name='Richard Kain']That...is really hot. Hot like the surface of the sun. Hopefully I will one day be rich enough to commission your services, wiggyx.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Hey wiggyx, I'm thinking about adding video ports to my consoles, in case I lose the cables. What's a good small drill strong enough to go through ABS plastic and won't put a dent in my wallet? A hobby drill probably won't do, since model kits are thinner than consoles.

I hope to put a VGA port in my Dreamcast, but I guess that's for a dremel since I'll also need to install a little switch. Ah, I'd rather have someone else do that for me.:razz:[/QUOTE]

Pretty much anything. Drilling through consoles shells is akin to drilling through butter. The cheapest corded drill you can find at Home Depot will be MORE than enough ;)

Thanks! I'm pretty proud if it :)

I hope its new owner loves it as much.

It i ever make a "his" version, I'll make sure it has some seriously pissed-off Kirby eyes ;)

I think Wiggy can just punch a couple numbers in that new 3D printer and have a fully-functioning Satoaster instantly.

He's probably taking pretty pictures of them now and boxing them up for orders.

I finally got around to fixing my DS Lite and Dreamcast controller port. The problem with the latter was the power switch, so I did this:
JkTc0Ht.jpg

All I did with the Dreamcast was put resistors into the F1 space. It didn't work the first time, so I cleaned the ribbon cable, made the solder fit in correctly, and it works fine. Now I have to go get a new fan for that unit. I'm looking at the back of the shell, and I'm wondering how I'm going to fit in those phono jacks, since the ones at Radioshack are kinda long.

I would just skip it and find something that's not "through board" or square like that. Plus, that thing is rather bulky and you might find it tough to mount inside most consoles. What were you thinking of putting that into? Might wanna take measurements 1st.

If you insist, then I'd make a small bracket that I COULD screw or otherwise affix to the shell to hold that in place either with some sheet metal or plastic.

I can't wait to hear more about when Nomad X's will be available. My money is ready... (I know I've said as much before but seriously, this time I think I mean it)

[quote name='wiggyx']Thanks! Wife should be home from the hospital tomorrow and the little goober about 2 weeks from now! So excited![/QUOTE]
Congrats! Hopefully your little one will be a gamer!

How hard is it to take apart a Nintendo 64? I picked up a Pikachu version at a yard sale for a buck. It works great. It just needs a good cleaning before I list it, and it also has a quarter that someone dropped down inside it, which I guess brings my cost down to 75 cents. :lol:

I ordered the security bit and it should be here tomorrow. I've taken apart NES systems to bend the connector pins back in place and PS2s to clean the laser. I don't imagine it'll be any harder than that, right?

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I finally got around to fixing my DS Lite and Dreamcast controller port. The problem with the latter was the power switch, so I did this:
JkTc0Ht.jpg

All I did with the Dreamcast was put resistors into the F1 space. It didn't work the first time, so I cleaned the ribbon cable, made the solder fit in correctly, and it works fine. Now I have to go get a new fan for that unit. I'm looking at the back of the shell, and I'm wondering how I'm going to fit in those phono jacks, since the ones at Radioshack are kinda long.[/QUOTE]

(totally late reply)

You mean the former ;)

Um, that'll fix it :/ LOL! Was the OEM switch toast? If so, want another? I've got extra fired boards with good salvageable parts. You pay shipping and I'll tear a switch or two off for ya.

Have you though about gutting a modem and putting the jacks in there?

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']Congrats! Hopefully your little one will be a gamer![/QUOTE]

Thanks! Let's hope so! He'll prolly LOVE em or HATE em. I think that's the general rule when it comes to reactions to parent's behaviors/habits/hobbies/etc., right?

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Good to hear.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, tear that puppy open. No fear!

[quote name='wiggyx']Yeah, tear that puppy open. No fear![/QUOTE]

I got it done yesterday. It took less than five minutes total to open it up, get the quarter, and put it back together. It actually took me longer to find a handle for the bit than it did to do the actual job.

Nah, don't feel like messing with the Dreamcast modem. I've decided to modify one of those cheap S-video cables, since I got one with my first bundle. The damn thing broke due to crappy wiring. After moving away the wiring, I found that the unit had the same amount of pins for the connector, rather than selecting the ones it would use. I'll probably go buy some 99c store cables and solder those to it.

bread's done
Back