Was bored, did mod.

One half of that job done, on to the other end...

207353F9-8DA2-43F5-8341-A5B60D39B813-161-000000284B997390.jpg

Is this for a bigger display or something, cause you used up all the wires on the ribbon.
So that arcade cabinet is coming to fruition.

I was reading a GI recently and noticed that Ben Heck made a dual Atari/NES. It makes me wonder if he designed a custom board or he somehow just crammed their original hardware into a tiny space.

No no no, just wiring a chunk of the original GB board to the GBA SP board.

The orginal GB cart port does the dirty work, but it obviously needs to be connected to the GBA to be of any use. This was just the cleanest method I could think of to make that happen. I just wish they made solid core SCSI cables...

Also, working on some more custom GBA bits :)

DSC03244.jpg

DSC03245.jpg

I see. It's still really cool that you're making your own custom parts. I'm wondering if you know how to make the same type of plastic as found on the d-pad of a Sega Saturn controller (model 2/Japan of course.) But that takes some high chemistry lol.

Anyone know only some parts of an SNES seem to discolor? Is it that they used different types of plastics for different sections?

I've made many parts in the past with this resin and it's held up well. I'm gonna make a few sets and set em free in a few local GBAs that I know will get lots of play time to see how they do.

Installed.

DCC219D7-7D00-4598-8274-54CDF017A53C-977-000000812F68BEF9.jpg

C97BA56F-6232-4517-93F4-17897999F94B-977-0000008140AB2429.jpg

[quote name='lmz00']That looks hot.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

[quote name='Clak']Man you are a freaking badass.[/QUOTE]

I try my bestest ;)

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Wow, you can make your own video game controllers. What's next a bubble gum SNES? A Cherry Garcia Wonderswan?

Anyway, totally great! I salute you.[/QUOTE]

Once I have the 3D printer, I can stop with all this fidly hand-built stuff and just do all my work in CAD, like I want to. THEN I can have any shapes and forms I want! (commence God complex)

I can't wait!

The templates are cool, do you have access to a 3D printer? I don't know about the black one, it kind of clashes with CAG.

EDIT: just read your previous post, the beast will be unleashed soon.

[quote name='Captain_Insano16']Greetings all - does anyone happen to know what the size of the 6x screws are for the NES that holds the top half to the bottom half. I had one apart for awhile, and somehow the screws have wandered off since then.....

Thanks for any info anyone has.[/QUOTE]

For anyone that was in the same boat and needs NES case screws....

I couldn't find anything at the local hardware stores that were a match (some that would have worked, but would have retreaded the holes). I ended up ordering them from DKoldies.

They have a pack of 12 screws for $.99 (+1.90 shipping).

http://www.dkoldies.com/NES-Replacement-Screws-12ct-p/acc-nintendo-nes-screw.htm

[quote name='Captain_Insano16']Wow Wiggy - Do you sell those GBA cases? Love that clear red color.[/QUOTE]

If I had access to clean, empty Glacier shells to paint, then yes, I would. As it is I just mod and sell entire units. I'll gladly paint one for ya though.

While trying to clean my studio space today I came across an old Intec PS2 flip screen in about 10 pieces. $Don't even know where it came from, but it's been here for a least 10 years. So, I hodge-podged I together to make sure it works, and it did! $Woot! $

Of course I couldn't let such a wonderful piece of crap go to waste, so I mocked this all up.

FC4D8B57-EAEB-42A2-8CFC-65482837AAA9-1240-000000893480039F.jpg

All mocked up in foam core for now. Gonna play it a bit tonight then tear it down do I can measure all the panels and then cut plywood panels later this week.

Oh well, so much for cleaning...

Well, like I said, it's just a foam core mockup. Just as an FYI, the marquee does light up an I'm gonna put graphics on it. Don't worry, it'll be purdy when all is said and done ;)

Also, battops?

Just to clarify a bit further, "bat top" refers to shape of the joystick handle, which slightly resembles a bat or cudgel (as pictured above). Alternatively, "ball top" would refer to one that has a ball on top.

Please ignore upside-down screen. 'Twas really late and I was hot glue happy.

50AEC287-6165-437F-B52F-7B112C2642F4-1473-000000AA777909EA.jpg

Now to tear it down and make wood panels.

Where do you get some of the supplies for this stuff? Like the buttons you made above, where did you get the plastic material to do that?

[quote name='Captain_Insano16']Wow Wiggy - that is Super Cool. I'll have to try something like that one day. What did you use for the screen?[/QUOTE]

An old Intec PS2 flip-up screen. The quality is so-so, but I had it sitting here, and it was free :)

All done!

A92DDD4E-3730-4E2A-A3B8-5043CB23B1AF-1312-0000011B5D5CC03A_zps9cf17342.jpg

Hard-wired S-vid in. The image quality is a TON better. I'm really happy with it. Been playing some SMW and Metroid Super Zero Mission. Good times!

Thanks man! I cranked away on it like non-stop for the last two days and ended up being pretty proud of it.

The one I used was 95% no-brainer since it was already built for plug-n-play. This is exactly what I used:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-1-2-scree...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item27cf1f8d50

Has speakers, composite and S-vid in, brightness & color/contrast adjustment, on/off switch, AC adapter, and even 2 headphone jacks (which I just cut off). I didn't even bother to hard wire the audio, just used the Nintendo multi-out composite cables (but hard-wired an S-video cable to the SNES board since I don't have an extra set of plug-n-play cables).

The only other mod besides the S-vid connection was extending the controller port ribbon, which I did with a section of SCSI ribbon, and cutting up the plastic cart port piece a bit from the SNES to make it so I could mount it flush in the cabinet. I have lots of extra busted SNES units with UGLY cases, so I didn't feel too bad hacking that one part up a bit. Otherwise the entire thing could be pulled apart and stufed back into an original shell, which is how I try and do mods since butchering classic consoles sorta bums me out.

I may make a few of these and sell em. I can get the hardware for next to nothing (as you can see in that auction), and now that I have templates for all the cabinet parts, it wouldn't take too much work. Could make me some quick $$$ to go toward the 3D printer ;)

WOW WOW WOW. That is awesome. I have a friend who is a manager at Gamestop and he said whenever someone tries to trade in those old ps2 screens they have to turn them down. (gamestop doesnt buy them back) Usually the customers just tell him to pitch them. I can make no promises but I'll let him know to save them for me, and if he comes across some I'll let you know. It would be a shame to see them pitched when you can do beautiful work with them. Well done.

Oooooooh my god @ the Neo Geo and Wonderswan lights. You are the greatest.

Does the Wonderswan mod work with any model? I have a Wonderswan Crystal that I'd love to get a light stuck into.

Both systems are currently in my parents basement (typical...) but next time I'm home (live across the country at the moment) I can grab them.

This is amazing.

bread's done
Back