Was Revenge of Shinobi underrated.....?

hcamacho

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Was just thinking, being 34 years old, and being a survivor of a 7 console wars since the atari 2600 trough this one.......I remember the game Revenge of Shinobi and the first time I played it, the graphics, the gameplay and the music was great!But everyitme the retro talk come around people kind of like forget how great that game was at that time on the Genesis.People remember Metroid, but why not Revenge?Even though the sequel Shinobi 3 was great, I still believe the first one was a better game, although I feel ashamed of not playing the Sega Saturn sequel of Shinobi, I read everywhere at the time that it was the best of the series, any thoughts on this?I still have my original game cartridge, the one with Spiderman, Hulk, Batman and Godzilla bosses, that later were edited in some way in the latest releases.
Will we ever see a proper 2d sequel to what I consider alongside Contra and Castlevania of one of the greatest 2d sidescroller series of all time?

I still remember the highway bridge level, the barracks like one with the flamethrower soldiers that looked like Rambo ( the music of that stage really rocked!), the level on the aircraft, the level design on Revenge was really the most ambitious ones at the time, that game deserves to be in the history of the videogames !

Definitely one of the most underrated games around. Shinobi III gave you more moves but poorer level design. Shinobi Legions (Saturn) is a good game but not in the same league as Revenge of Shinobi. Very challenging and the best game of the series IMO. I think especially nowadays people would shy away from this game due to the difficulty, sadly.

[quote name='hcamacho']I still have my original game cartridge, the one with Spiderman, Hulk, Batman and Godzilla bosses, that later were edited in some way in the latest releases.[/quote]

Always wondered something and had to ask. Does anyone know which version of Revenge of Shinobi is on the Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1(DC)?

As for the game, it's because it had the perfect balance of gameplay & difficulty. Not once did I have one point in the game that seemed impossible to get pass, unlike Shinobi 3 & Shadow Dancer.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Always wondered something and had to ask. Does anyone know which version of Revenge of Shinobi is on the Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1(DC)? [/quote]

The one that is featured on the Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1(DC) is the 1.02 version. It has the Batman boss, the Terminator/Hulk boss, and the Godzilla boss edited, and also has the TM screen at the beginning acknowledging that Spider-Man is a trademark of Marvel.

However, I don't think that Revenge of Shinobi is really underrated considering how popular the game really is for both Genesis and retro gaming fans alike. If you look at the many best Genesis games of all time lists on the Web, Revenge of Shinobi is almost always on the top 10.

On a side note, I personally liked Shinobi 3 more than Revenge of Shinobi. The controlls are better, I enjoyed the music more, and also in some ways, bosses were cooler, especially the mutant boss in the third level.

[quote name='wizardofcoz4126']The one that is featured on the Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1(DC) is the 1.02 version. It has the Batman boss, the Terminator/Hulk boss, and the Godzilla boss edited, and also has the TM screen at the beginning acknowledging that Spider-Man is a trademark of Marvel.

However, I don't think that Revenge of Shinobi is really underrated considering how popular the game really is for both Genesis and retro gaming fans alike. If you look at the many best Genesis games of all time lists on the Web, Revenge of Shinobi is almost always on the top 10.

On a side note, I personally liked Shinobi 3 more than Revenge of Shinobi. The controlls are better, I enjoyed the music more, and also in some ways, bosses were cooler, especially the mutant boss in the third level.[/QUOTE]

When you talk about the mutant boss, it's the giant head that attacks you with it's hands, it seems like the Akira, when the boy transforms into something abnormal right?I loved those games!

[quote name='hcamacho']When you talk about the mutant boss, it's the giant head that attacks you with it's hands, it seems like the Akira, when the boy transforms into something abnormal right?I loved those games![/quote]

That's the one! :applause: I also like the second level's fight on horseback and level five's Mecha Godzilla like boss.

[quote name='wizardofcoz4126']That's the one! :applause: I also like the second level's fight on horseback and level five's Mecha Godzilla like boss.[/QUOTE]

The thing about Shinobi 3, it is that it is not that maybe Revenge may not be the best one, but I know that those stages in Shinobi 3 and the graphics were way better than Revenge, but Revenge seems like the better one for me maybe because it was such a huge departure from what we played earlier in the ARCADE ORIGINAL OF SHINOBI, that Revenge was the game that made the changes needed for the series to improve on itself, Shadow Dancer was that just a shadow, of what a Shinobi game should be......Revenge was certainly the right step for the sequels on the home consoles, in this case the Genesis.

The Shadow Dancer home conversion was like the e-swat home coversion, were just games based on the arcade games, but nothing like the arcade, I wonder why Sega at the time decided that the home versions of Shadow and E-swat be totally different than the arcade ones, maybe it was cause the Genesis couldn't handle them, but then again the games were not as we hoped they could be on the Genie>>>>

Revenge of Shinobi... I thought it was a tough game, you had to go for the unlimited shruikens or whatever they were called

As for the Saturn Shinobi, I JUST got a complete copy of it for the first time but have yet to play it. I had always wanted it during my fist go round with the saturn, and remember JUST missing out on a copy of it for 5 bucks at WalMart... this only cost me about 20 penny guides

I loved return of shinobi!
One of the best genesis games
the spider-man boss was sweet
shinobi legions was good,except the fmv

[quote name='hcamacho']T I wonder why Sega at the time decided that the home versions of Shadow and E-swat be totally different than the arcade ones, maybe it was cause the Genesis couldn't handle them[/quote]

That's probably why. Compare the arcade version of Altered Beast to the genesis one(both are included in the Sega Genesis Collection game), levels are intact but the characters are smaller and not as defined. Seems Sega wasn't thinking of the genesis hardware when they decided to try to port arcade games to it.

[quote name='tangytangerine']That's probably why. Compare the arcade version of Altered Beast to the genesis one(both are included in the Sega Genesis Collection game), levels are intact but the characters are smaller and not as defined. Seems Sega wasn't thinking of the genesis hardware when they decided to try to port arcade games to it.[/quote]And yet Sega ADDED multi parallax scrolling to the Genesis version. There was no parallax scrolling in the coin-op.

bread's done
Back