Was Skyward Sword fun? (No spoilers please)

I have played:

Ocarina of Time

Majora's Mask

Wind Waker

Twilight Princess

Was the game like any of these games? I'm wondering because I'm thinking of getting a Wii.

I don't know. I liked parts of it but the recycled areas, lack of a compelling end boss/enemy hurt it a lot. The final boss frustrated me so much with the motion controls that after hours of trying to pull off a particular (and required) attack I simply gave up.

I'd say its good, probably a 8.5/10 overall but 6/10 in terms of being a Zelda game. Hopefully they remake it in 10 years or so on a next-gen DS or home console without the wii remote.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW I had no problems with the controls on the last boss (or with the game's controls in general) and though it was pretty cool.

Skyward Sword is my wife's favorite Zelda game but it just never hooked me like ALttP/Ocarina/TP did, mostly because there's almost no exploration in the game.  You can explore the hub town a tiny bit and try to locate a few islands in the sky...otherwise everything is completely linear puzzle solving.  I like that kind of design in dungeons but not in the overworld.  The game just felt very sparse and deliberate, probably due to the Wii's technical capabilities holding back the developers.  A pity since it was the only Wii game to live up to the Wiimote's full potential.

Skyward Sword is my favorite Zelda game, and one of my favorite games of all time.  The game really illustrates how motion controls can enhance gameplay in non-gimmicky, immersive ways.

The dungeons are NOT recycled; they are all pretty unique and very well designed.  They are smaller -- but also denser -- than in previous games.  What is "recycled" is that you return to the overworld areas multiple times throughout the adventure, Metroid-style.  These areas do experience changes, but perhaps that was a letdown for some that are used to exploration.  I never thought it was too big a deal, as areas do open up, and I thought that returning to areas and actually doing something was better than going through a new area that had little actual gameplay purpose (e.g. Gerudo Desert in Twilight Princess).

Skyward Sword is kind of the Super Mario Galaxy of the Zelda titles.  Its gameplay (especially the combat) and level design is among the best in the series.  Motion controls really define the experience, which could be good or bad depending on whether you like them.  There's not a ton of exploration though; the game is rather linear, aside from a few sidequests.

Like I said I personally LOVE the game to shreds.  Combat actually feels real compared to past games.  The fact that you have to actually aim with the sword makes all the difference in the world.  For that reason alone I'd recommend at least giving it a shot.

Sadly I lost my file being almost done with game(thought I saved it when I traded in my Wii, but couldn't find it on any of my SD cards) but I really enjoyed it and fully plan on starting it up again once I get through most of my more current games. Very few games I have found fun enough to where I'd be willing to do that. I'd still rank TP(my fave) above it, but I think it's on par with the like of OOT and LTTP which I loved.

I gave up after 3-4 hours.  I'm tired of Nintendo treating every Zelda as if we'd never played a Zelda game before.  I don't need a 10 hour tutorial on how to waggle the Wiimote, nor do I need giant on screen graphics of the Wiimote showing me how to control Link.  The camera was awful, it was graphically stale, and it's 2012/2013 and Nintendo is still in love with text bubbles (it's like playing a NES game).

Yeah I don't think I'm getting a Wii anytime soon. The Zelda franchise is what really draws me into Nintendo, anything else other than Mario I don't see.

I gave up after 3-4 hours. I'm tired of Nintendo treating every Zelda as if we'd never played a Zelda game before. I don't need a 10 hour tutorial on how to waggle the Wiimote, nor do I need giant on screen graphics of the Wiimote showing me how to control Link. The camera was awful, it was graphically stale, and it's 2012/2013 and Nintendo is still in love with text bubbles (it's like playing a NES game).
My daughter's playing SS right now, and it's her first Zelda game. Without the tutorials, she would've gotten nowhere fast. Not everyone has a history with the franchise; get over yourself.

Also, to your last point: I'm sick of this dumbshit argument that Zelda needs voice acting/to get rid of text bubbles. The characters speak in and the signs are written in Hylian. It's not like Nintendo is going to make up an entire spoken language because lazy fucks don't want to read, and even if they did it would require subtitles anyway, making it a wasted effort. The last thing I want to see in a Zelda game is some garbage Final Fantasy quality voice acting. Not every game needs to be read to you like it's a bedtime story.

I enjoyed it and it's definitely one of the best Zelda games. But I hated the motion controls for certain things like controlling that beetle or flying on your bird. Even the combat was a bit iffy with motion controls, though it did allow for some cool as boss fights. 

Eh I think voice acting might be something to look into at this point. I do not think Link should speak, he's been around too long and it would ruin him. But SS is probably the most talky Zelda game to date and some quality voice acting would've been great IMHO.

Its fantastic. I agree a shorter or at least optional tutorial for series veterans would be nice, because it starts off very slow, much like TP did. But the motion controls actually work wonderfully most of the time, the facial animation add a ton of character, and it has a far more interesting story since it explains the origin of the Zelda mythology. The obnoxious parts are definitely minor compared to the game as a whole; my biggest complaint was essentially redoing the fight outside the temple in the pit three whole times, in part due to the controls. Easily worth your time though.

My daughter's playing SS right now, and it's her first Zelda game. Without the tutorials, she would've gotten nowhere fast. Not everyone has a history with the franchise; get over yourself.
Classy. I'm willing to bet the veterans outnumber the newcomers by quite a bit.

All they have to do is make an optional tutorial. Hell put a prompt on screen "Have you played a Zelda game before? Y or N" that allows you to skip the first 4 hours of hand holding or turn off on screen prompts/controls. Or just make all the forced interactions "Go see Master X to learn how to use a sword" then "go see Missus M to see how to hold a shield" optional. And by optional I don't mean reward a player for sludging through it with a piece of heart container. Zero reward for doing the tutorial.

Give me my sword & shield and set me on my quest.

As for voice acting, it's time. It's been 30 years, Link needs a voice. Mario & Luigi have had voices for years. Why is Link some holy untouchable character? Oh yes, it's Hylian and we should have subtitles. There's not some disconnect where we hear Link and think, English in Hyrule, WTF? Hell, make this optional as well. "Want traditional text bubbles, Y or N?"

Of all of Nintendo's IPs Zelda is the one stuck in the past and in a friggin rut.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the game was excellent and put it closely behind Wind Waker as my 3rd favorite Zelda (Ocarina being my first). 

This game's motion control was an unholy abortion from the asshole of Satan himself.

Other than that, it was a truly wonderful game.

I give it a 4/10 because of the motion controls, 8.5/10 without them.

The tutorials in SS are ridiculous. They're up there with Kingdom Hearts teaching you to walk. Kindergartners and elementary school children were able to figure out Zelda I-III without a tutorial just fine.

Skyward Sword was really disappointing for me. There's no real exploration and the world is an in incohesive mess.

Zelda has been getting worse and worse since Ocarina of Time. I think the problem is Aonuma.

This is the only Zelda game I have never finished.  The motion controls are just so annoying.  I get what they were trying to do but after a long day of work, putting the kids to bed, etc. I just want to sit on the couch for an hour without moving around.  The game was fine though.

I loved this game however I found myself putting playing this game on "hold" after several weeks.  I got bored with it I guess.  When i picked it back up I played until I beat it.  What I found I didn't like was going back through the dungeons again a second time

bread's done
Back