Washington D.C. Metro area.

lurknomore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Old post Edited for effect and max. exposure.....

The 5th DC Metro area CAG Meet-up/Game Swap

Dave & Buster's
White Flint Mall - 3rd Floor
11301 Rockville Pike
North Bethesda , MD 20895

3:00 pm onward ...(we have been going 3 hours+)

Saturday, April 26th

who plans to attend-
thebob101
lurknomore
G-Nitro
jmiller80
MCalvert1
cleaver - unless he is drafted in the 1st round
s0undwav3
abhinav- maybe
FlamingMoogles
GenDV138 - maybe

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Any CAGers around here? Really disappointed as the scene pales in comparison to Boston's video gaming scene. Any suggestions or local mom and pop shops? The Maryland-Virginia-DC area seems to be pretty weak.

[quote name='coolsteel']Not interested in playing old arcade games at all?[/QUOTE]

Not sure I'll get two days worth of enjoyment out of old arcade games. As I said, I'll be there most of the day on Saturday.

If I were in your shoes I would go Friday mostly hitting panels and videos then leave around 6. Leave Saturday for gaming, panels and music.

[quote name='coolsteel']I like how the History of Optimus Prime really seems to come out of nowhere[/QUOTE]

I'm happy to see it, and I'm excited for the Transformers: The Movie (1986) at 8pm tonight!

MjC

Family is still in town and I have to hold money back for shoulder surgery, so it's a no go on MAGFest again (well, late Saturday/Sunday is a BIG maybe, so we'll see). Hoping to still do Katsucon though.

Did end up going, after spending a bundle getting my car fixed up. Did have a good time, once I found some people to play board games with. Did go see Armcannon, but my enjoyment suffered somewhat by not really being strong in my knowledge of 8 and 16 bit game music.

Good to hear but what are you going to do tomorrow ? I know my main was actually Transformers the movie I have no idea what i'm doing tomorrow.

[quote name='coolsteel']Good to hear but what are you going to do tomorrow ? I know my main was actually Transformers the movie I have no idea what i'm doing tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Going to the Ellen McLain Q&A is a big part of my early day and getting my friend's copy of Portal 2 signed. Late, it is Earthbound Papas. In between, I'll figure out.

[quote name='abhinav']I know the odds are terrible but I heard Uncharted 3 CE was clearanced at Target, anyone know if any targets have em in stock?[/QUOTE]I will look.

[quote name='amishpriest']Family is still in town and I have to hold money back for shoulder surgery, so it's a no go on MAGFest again (well, late Saturday/Sunday is a BIG maybe, so we'll see). Hoping to still do Katsucon though.[/QUOTE]I will try to be at Katsucon. Current plan is to go.

To let everyone know (if they haven't heard), I accepted a job offer in Hampton Roads, VA area. It's much closer to my dream job, so I'll be leaving the Baltimore/Washington area in Feb. Believe me, I'm ultra sad to leave you all since I made great friends, love the anime cons, love being near the mountain resorts, lots of shopping malls, etc. But eh, I have to turn my career around and if I have to move to do it, that's what I'll be doing.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
To let everyone know (if they haven't heard), I accepted a job offer in Hampton Roads, VA area. It's much closer to my dream job, so I'll be leaving the Baltimore/Washington area in Feb. Believe me, I'm ultra sad to leave you all since I made great friends, love the anime cons, love being near the mountain resorts, lots of shopping malls, etc. But eh, I have to turn my career around and if I have to move to do it, that's what I'll be doing.[/QUOTE]

Congrats. At least you will be close to Nekocon.

Had a good time at MAGFest, will definitely go next year. Two days is enough for me though. Don't know if I can handle hearing the Colossus sound more than that.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I will try to be at Katsucon. Current plan is to go.

To let everyone know (if they haven't heard), I accepted a job offer in Hampton Roads, VA area. It's much closer to my dream job, so I'll be leaving the Baltimore/Washington area in Feb. Believe me, I'm ultra sad to leave you all since I made great friends, love the anime cons, love being near the mountain resorts, lots of shopping malls, etc. But eh, I have to turn my career around and if I have to move to do it, that's what I'll be doing.[/QUOTE]

Congrats on the new gig! Hope the move and everything works out for you. I'm going to try to be at Katsu myself although a lot depends on how my shoulder surgery and recovery goes. Definitely will do Otakon...the last year I didn't go to that was 2005.

Also, will plan better for MAGFest next year.

I think I've posted in this thread maybe twice since I found CAG in 2010 haha, I really should keep up with the internet better.

Anyway,
I float between Columbia, MD and Alexandria, VA and look forward to possibly chatting around with other DC area gamers in the near future :]

Hi there!

[quote name='Specter Fate']I think I've posted in this thread maybe twice since I found CAG in 2010 haha, I really should keep up with the internet better.

Anyway,
I float between Columbia, MD and Alexandria, VA and look forward to possibly chatting around with other DC area gamers in the near future :]

Hi there![/QUOTE]Welcome. :D One of our members lives in the same city, while I live in a city adjacent to Columbia (I'm in the area a lot). Unfortunately, I'll only be living her for another month, but I still plan to attend meet-ups.

I'm going to the Smithsonian Exhibit with the girlfriend the weekend after it opens. So excited when I saw that it was going to be in DC!

[quote name='The Great BM']Side question: does anyone know of any LAN gaming centers in the area? The only one I'm aware of is Gamepad, but Fredericksburg is kind of a hike.[/QUOTE]

Not anymore. There used to be one in Springfield Mall, but I think that died with the rest of the mall.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Not anymore. There used to be one in Springfield Mall, but I think that died with the rest of the mall.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I went to that mall once and it was very dead. Not as dead as Laurel and Owings Mills Mall in ways, but pretty bad.

Not 100% set yet, but since I'll be moving away to the Hampton Roads, VA area, I'll be having a final meet-up w/ CAG friends/etc. in the area. I'm looking to hold it at DuClaw (Arundel Mills location) next Sunday (Jan. 29th, 2012). If people want to come, feel free to.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Not anymore. There used to be one in Springfield Mall, but I think that died with the rest of the mall.[/QUOTE]

Other than Pentagon City, is there a mall in that area that isn't dead? Landmark immediately springs to mind and if I remember correctly, Crystal City wasn't much better. (Though it has been about five years since I set foot into Crystal City.. so my memory may be a bit hazy.)

[quote name='Specter Fate']Other than Pentagon City, is there a mall in that area that isn't dead? Landmark immediately springs to mind and if I remember correctly, Crystal City wasn't much better. (Though it has been about five years since I set foot into Crystal City.. so my memory may be a bit hazy.)[/QUOTE]

Potomac Mills is pretty packed

So @ManaKnight have you finalized when your going away thing is?
@TheGreat BM I am definitely trying to go on the opening weekend and attend everything.

The Gamefest schedule can be found here.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Great BM']Speaking of meetups, would anyone be interested in going to the upcoming Art of Video Games exhibit at the Smithsonian American Art Museum? On the opening weekend (March 16th-18th), they're having something called Gamefest, which has a bunch of con-like events, like panels, music, and gaming. If you all think it's going to be to hectic, the exhibit is open through September.[/QUOTE]

I should be in for Friday and Saturday at least...sounds pretty cool :). I've had this on my radar ever since it was announced.

[quote name='The Great BM']Speaking of meetups, would anyone be interested in going to the upcoming Art of Video Games exhibit at the Smithsonian American Art Museum? On the opening weekend (March 16th-18th), they're having something called Gamefest, which has a bunch of con-like events, like panels, music, and gaming. If you all think it's going to be to hectic, the exhibit is open through September.[/QUOTE]

I will definitely be attending this. Hope to see some of ya there.

[quote name='Indifference']So @ManaKnight have you finalized when your going away thing is?
@TheGreat BM I am definitely trying to go on the opening weekend and attend everything.

The Gamefest schedule can be found here.[/QUOTE]I have it setup for this Sunday. The only reason I did not fully confirm it/set in stone because I considered just keeping it as a small get together during Katsucon time since some going would be there anyway. But eh, if people can make it on Sunday (I had to do Sunday for GenDV138), I'll be available and it works. Sunday of the following weekend won't work because of Superbowl, then next is my move.

[quote name='nightmare452']I will definitely be attending this. Hope to see some of ya there.[/QUOTE]

I'll be there Friday and maybe Sunday for Gamefest at Art of Video Games

The Sears Grand on Route 40 in Ellicott City was one of the stores included in the Sears / Kmart closings, and they've started their inventory clearance. Video games and accessories are both currently 20% off. Pity that doesn't include XBL / PSN cards, since they still have plenty. I know they're classed as gift cards, but it doesn't hurt to keep the fingers crossed.

The Toys R Us in Ellicott City is also closing sometime in February. Video games are currently 30% off and accessories are 50% off. Gaming accessories are pretty picked clean, what's left is in an aisle outside the R zone. Movies were 40% off. Most of the rest of the store appeared to be 30% off.

[quote name='Bloomy']The Sears Grand on Route 40 in Ellicott City was one of the stores included in the Sears / Kmart closings, and they've started their inventory clearance. Video games and accessories are both currently 20% off. Pity that doesn't include XBL / PSN cards, since they still have plenty. I know they're classed as gift cards, but it doesn't hurt to keep the fingers crossed.

The Toys R Us in Ellicott City is also closing sometime in February. Video games are currently 30% off and accessories are 50% off. Gaming accessories are pretty picked clean, what's left is in an aisle outside the R zone. Movies were 40% off. Most of the rest of the store appeared to be 30% off.[/QUOTE]I think you mean Toy's R Us Catonsville.

[quote name='Bloomy']The Sears Grand on Route 40 in Ellicott City was one of the stores included in the Sears / Kmart closings, and they've started their inventory clearance. Video games and accessories are both currently 20% off. Pity that doesn't include XBL / PSN cards, since they still have plenty. I know they're classed as gift cards, but it doesn't hurt to keep the fingers crossed.

The Toys R Us in Ellicott City is also closing sometime in February. Video games are currently 30% off and accessories are 50% off. Gaming accessories are pretty picked clean, what's left is in an aisle outside the R zone. Movies were 40% off. Most of the rest of the store appeared to be 30% off.[/QUOTE]

Do you know if videogame systems are also 20% off at the Sears Grand?

Thanks!

I know how last year we didn't get it worked out, but I'd like to try again on a King's Dominion CAG meetup. I'll be living 1 hour and 30 minutes from the park. I should be able to get discount tickets through work. I have not decided when in the Summer yet, but I was thinking June or early July (hopefully we can try a weekday).

Oh well, just a thought.

Dont know about that weekend but I will make it before the end of it. Live in charlottesville va and that will be a fun trip for the family

[quote name='chefgamer']Dont know about that weekend but I will make it before the end of it. Live in charlottesville va and that will be a fun trip for the family[/QUOTE]
Scroll up, I posted a link of the gamefest schedule.......and yes I and hopefully some others will be in attendance.

Yep, I'm going for sure. It'd be cool to meet some of you peeps there.

Looks like I may have to try to go on Saturday also, Hideo Kojima will be at GameFest for a conversation at noon March 17.

Link to register for the free event (Registration begins tomorrow Wednesday February 22 at 1 pm):

http://kojimagamefest.eventbrite.com/

If you're registering, I would try to get the max amount of tickets to reserve seats for other CAGs going.

Got the following e-mail:

We have just confirmed a new addition to the lineup for GameFest, which I am VERY excited about - a conversation with Hideo Kojima at noon on Saturday, March 17. Hideo Kojima is best known for the Metal Gear series of games, and is considered one of the most innovative designers of his generation.

We have two very special opportunities for you with this program. First, we invite you to submit your questions for Kojima by emailing them to [email protected] by Thursday, February 23. We will select the best questions to use during the program.

Second, we're giving you the chance to register for this event before the public. Registration will open tomorrow, Wednesday February 22 at 1 p.m., EST. The event is free, but you must register in advance. If you are unable to get tickets or cannot make it to D.C., don't worry, the program will be webcast online.

The Art of Video Games exhibition opens in less than a month! For more information on the exhibition and GameFest, please visit our website. I look forward to seeing you in March!

-- Georgina
Exhibition Coordinator

[quote name='GenDV138']Looks like I may have to try to go on Saturday also, Hideo Kojima will be at GameFest for a conversation at noon March 17.

Link to register for the free event (Registration begins tomorrow Wednesday February 22 at 1 pm):

http://kojimagamefest.eventbrite.com/

If you're registering, I would try to get the max amount of tickets to reserve seats for other CAGs going.

Got the following e-mail:[/QUOTE]

Crap, I saw this too late. I'd be grateful if anyone had an extra ticket.

Please please please please pretty please... if anyone has any extra tix to the hideo kojima event, I would be so happy to get 2 from you. Otherwise, looks like the standby line for me then... Of course I didn't find out about this until today. sucks....

sad+cat.jpg

Is the meetup posted on the first page old or current? I'm in NJ but thinking about going because I went to school in DC and have a cousin down there so I've been putting off a visit for a while.

[quote name='gpgorbosjr']Is the meetup posted on the first page old or current? I'm in NJ but thinking about going because I went to school in DC and have a cousin down there so I've been putting off a visit for a while.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, it was from 2008. Some people are going to the opening weekend at "The Art of Video Games Exhibit" at the Smithsonian March 16-18 and to the Video Games Live concert April 7th at the Strathmore Theater.

MjC

I will also be at The Art of Video Games Exhibit and I might have an extra Kojima ticket. Just have to see how things pan out in a few days but if do, someone here can definitely have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
To whom it may concern (Donnie, maybe?):

I'm no longer available for the Video Games Live show at the Strathmore. So if you're trying to get everyone on the same page to get adjacent tickets, don't wait for me.

But I should be able to make Gamefest at the Smithsonian on saturday in a little over a week.

MjC

bread's done
Back