Washington D.C. Metro area.

lurknomore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Old post Edited for effect and max. exposure.....

The 5th DC Metro area CAG Meet-up/Game Swap

Dave & Buster's
White Flint Mall - 3rd Floor
11301 Rockville Pike
North Bethesda , MD 20895

3:00 pm onward ...(we have been going 3 hours+)

Saturday, April 26th

who plans to attend-
thebob101
lurknomore
G-Nitro
jmiller80
MCalvert1
cleaver - unless he is drafted in the 1st round
s0undwav3
abhinav- maybe
FlamingMoogles
GenDV138 - maybe

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Any CAGers around here? Really disappointed as the scene pales in comparison to Boston's video gaming scene. Any suggestions or local mom and pop shops? The Maryland-Virginia-DC area seems to be pretty weak.

[quote name='HarassmentPanda']Rumor has it that video games are now 20% off at CompUSA. Can anyone tell me where the locations that are closing are? I'm still relatively unfamiliar with the area.[/quote]

Rockville, MD is closing.

Hey DC cags. I only found out about the D&B meet from the frontpage post, and it was too late to arrange anything. I live in Southern PA, but my wife is from Gaithersburg/Rockville so we're there fairly often. I would definitely be interested in a meetup for gaming, be it tournaments or just for fun. I could bring my xbox or xbox 360 if anyone is thinking of doing a LAN. And I've met Matthew before, he's a good guy. I'll keep an eye on this thread for updates.

MjC

[quote name='HarassmentPanda']Rumor has it that video games are now 20% off at CompUSA. Can anyone tell me where the locations that are closing are? I'm still relatively unfamiliar with the area.[/QUOTE]

Anything that isn't on this list will be closing:
http://www.compusa.com/locations/store.asp?ref=cj

In other words any store in NoVA or DC is gone, and MD will only have stores in Columbia and Towson.

I stopped at the Alexandria branch (near the Landmark mall) last week and an employee said they'd be open until late april.

I'm not going to miss them at all, but I look forward to how this will change the dynamic in the cafe over at the Barnes & Noble near Fair Oaks. The only reason free Wifi has been available there has been because of the CompUSA's network reaching through the wall. With it gone, perhaps *gasp* people will have to pay for Wifi access there. That will certainly be fun to see when I work there again this summer

The Gaithersburg CompUSA was the same thing that it was pre-clearance/closing prices. Yes, there were up to 20% prices everywhere...but hardly anything was a deal. Apple stuff was only a 5%, so it'll all be awhile before anything is priced great. I couldn't believe all of the yokels buying cart loads worth of stuff though....idiots.

I've got an idea...a project or proposal perhaps. As we all know from the deals pages, the store that we most miss out on in these parts is Fry's. They have incredible deals, really incredible deals on brand newly released games. I was thinking that perhaps we could set up a system where we could have group buys by a friend, relative, or a responsible CAG from a location near a Fry's...who would buy certain sale games in bulk and then send it to one of us...to then distribute to us DC metro gamers. I'm sure that the savings would still be worth it if we could commit enough people. I have faith in the DC CAG community, and we could then get in on some of these mind-blowingly good Fry's deals.

We have to find a state with a Fry's with the lowest sales tax...and of relative proximity to the DC metro area. I'l; do some research later tonight.

[quote name='lurknomore']I've got an idea...a project or proposal perhaps. As we all know from the deals pages, the store that we most miss out on in these parts is Fry's. They have incredible deals, really incredible deals on brand newly released games. I was thinking that perhaps we could set up a system where we could have group buys by a friend, relative, or a responsible CAG from a location near a Fry's...who would buy certain sale games in bulk and then send it to one of us...to then distribute to us DC metro gamers. I'm sure that the savings would still be worth it if we could commit enough people. I have faith in the DC CAG community, and we could then get in on some of these mind-blowingly good Fry's deals.[/quote]

One of my brothers lives in Southern California (SD) and the other one lives in Orange County and both are gamers. I just checked and there is a Fry's near both of them. I could ask them if they are willing to pick stuff up for us at Frys.

The closest Frys to us is GA.

Also, just a heads up if anyone is interested. My band is opening up for 3 Days Grace at the 9:30 Club tonight. Should be a great show.

[quote name='thebob101']Also, just a heads up if anyone is interested. My band is opening up for 3 Days Grace at the 9:30 Club tonight. Should be a great show.[/quote]

Wow - that's a nice venue to play at, congrats on that ;). A friend of mine wanted to see 3DG, but we were too late to pick up tickets.

Has anyone heard any word on if/when the CompUSAs in the area are going to up the discounts? I hadn't known they were closing until recently, and 10% off regular price games is garbage :)

Saw signs as I drove by CompUSA gaithersburg for up to 30%....I'm presuming that that means another drop to probably 20% for games and 10% for Apple items. Again, just my speculation. In my opinion, still not hot enough for a visit.

[quote name='jgamezcua']Checked again yesterday and all games are still 10%

The sign for 30% is what got me to go in. Is Rockville the same?[/quote]

Went to Rockville CompUSA yesterday and it was still 10% games, 20% off guides and movies, and 10% off accessories. I really couldn't find anything that was 30% off. It still looked like it had the same stuff since last week.

CompUSA is teh suck. Good riddance. Once the sale gets good and going, all that there will be left will be their own crap brand line of computer accessories.

[quote name='jgamezcua']Dang, when is CompUSA gonna increase the clearance % on games!!

Has Rockville changed lately?[/QUOTE]

Just stopped by today...and everything was the same as before. No movement yet. However, I did see that they were readying new stickers and tags...just don't know when these will be applied. The Rockville store seemed to be pretty well stocked with the exception of dig. cameras.

I don't know what's up with the people in Gaithersburg b/c that store looks like it's being pretty successful at selling off it's inventory at current reduced prices. The game section, laptops, and printers section has taken a respectable hit since they started the close out sale. Sounds like Rockville is where I need to be going.

On the VA side, the deals at the Vienna/Tyson's CompUSA aren't all that much better. Games were 10% off last weekend, which translates to ~5% off after tax. Bleh. The stock of PC games was great and only okay for the consoles/handhelds. Current gen systems have been picked over pretty well, but most still have some games.

Store was busy and lines were long for the higher discounted computer junk. You won't find a retail copy of Vista any cheaper. Here's hoping for higher discounts before the other fools pick the store clean.

I was just at the EB in White Flint looking for the $5 UMDs and I bought Dawn of the Dead for me but they also had a used copy of Akira, which IMO is by far the best UMD (and I have 25+ and used to review them for videogametalk.com) for $3.99 - EDGE discount.

I was going to send this to abhinav but his PMs are full.

[quote name='cleaver']I was just at the EB in White Flint looking for the $5 UMDs and I bought Dawn of the Dead for me but they also had a used copy of Akira, which IMO is by far the best UMD (and I have 25+ and used to review them for videogametalk.com) for $3.99 - EDGE discount.

I was going to send this to abhinav but his PMs are full.[/quote]
Oh god i want that UMD. Pick it up or something i want that UMD!

Are any of the Best Buys in the area (particularly NoVA) stocked with GGCs? I havent had any luck in finding them.
T.I.A. (Thanks in Advance)

[quote name='hostyl1']Are any of the Best Buys in the area (particularly NoVA) stocked with GGCs? [/QUOTE]

Saw a couple GGCs in Baileys Crossroads this weekend. Noticed two on an endcap (end towards the wall) in the music section. I've found the BBYs in NOVA stocked pretty well in the usual locations (near checkout and/or near games), but I haven't gone searching for them lately.

[quote name='lurknomore']I guess that there isn't much of a want for a Fry's drop-ship. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

Not a bad idea, but it's tough to herd cats.
-- A regular schedule of good deals that we can't get anywhere else is what you need.

A couple of problems:
-- Fry's deals depend on release schedules, which are erratic
-- Fry's deals are good but aren't consistently the best around
-- Fry's deals are sometimes available online (e.g., God of War 2 @ $39.99 shipped)

-- (I signed up with Gameznflix, so I am buying fewer games)

That said, I'm happy to go in on a good deal if it comes up.

Isn't another problem with some Fry's deals that many of them can be in the form of rebates? Rebates are swell and good, but make for an ackward deal. I almost think our efforts would be better placed trying to convince Fry's to open a Northern Virginia store, especially with CompUSA on the way out. We do have one of the few Microcenter locations so I guess anything is possible

[quote name='hostyl1']Are any of the Best Buys in the area (particularly NoVA) stocked with GGCs? I havent had any luck in finding them.
T.I.A. (Thanks in Advance)[/quote]

Tysons Best Buy is out of GGCs. They've been consistently stocked with them for a long time up until about a week ago. Looks like they might be starting to phase them out with the coupon expiring in only a few months.

[quote name='mrplow1817']Tysons Best Buy is out of GGCs. They've been consistently stocked with them for a long time up until about a week ago. Looks like they might be starting to phase them out with the coupon expiring in only a few months.[/quote]

Same in Rockville and Gaithersburg, haven't seen GGCs in over a month now

[quote name='jgamezcua']Same in Rockville and Gaithersburg, haven't seen GGCs in over a month now[/quote]

Yeah i was about to post that i was at Rockville and i couldnt find a GGC. Bah i am running out of these again :cry:

BUmp for the B1G1 at all TRU's for games under $10, anyone find anything good? We can do a meet and trade at our next event if we do.

I was out at the Fair City Mall GameStop in Fairfax this past Tuesday. They're closing tomorrow (Sun 4/8), probably because there's an EB at the Pickett Shopping Center right across the street.

The bad news...no liquidation, they'll just pack everything up and ship it back to EB/GS. The good news...as a sign of apprecation they're offering a 20% off coupon good for one total purchase at the Pickett EB. The person that gave it to me said it was good for any used games/accessories and that they were looking into extending it to cover new games too. The coupon expires on 4/22 and mentions that systems are *not* included.

I'm not sure if a purchase is required to get the coupon or how many they have. I went in for Battalion Wars and the guy offered it to me on the way out. It's a B&W full-page printout. Might be worth checking out if you're nearby.

What is the status with the CompUSA's in the area? Last I heard, the markdowns weren't that great. They should be closing soon.

[quote name='maiku']I was out at the Fair City Mall GameStop in Fairfax this past Tuesday. They're closing tomorrow (Sun 4/8), probably because there's an EB at the Pickett Shopping Center right across the street.
[/quote]
I knew one of those locations was going to have to go eventually. I'm just glad the superior store is the one that's surviving. It wouldn't surprise me if all the construction going on at Fair City played a contributing factor.

I think we need to make an official distinction on where NoVA goes in the forum descriptions. Apparantly having DC seperate from Virginia is too confusing. Northern VA should go in NE imho.

[quote name='Yertle']I think we need to make an official distinction on where NoVA goes in the forum descriptions. Apparantly having DC seperate from Virginia is too confusing. Northern VA should go in NE imho.[/quote]

I agree, NOVA is in the DC Metro area. I am in Maryland and still always post in this thread. When we had the meetup it was CAG members from the Washington DC Metro area (MD, VA, DC, almost had someone from DE). It seems that a few of the NOVA folks don't want to be considered DC, they would prefer to be considered VA and post in that thread. Totally confusing when they are closer to DC than Richmond.

[quote name='thebob101']I agree, NOVA is in the DC Metro area. I am in Maryland and still always post in this thread. When we had the meetup it was CAG members from the Washington DC Metro area (MD, VA, DC, almost had someone from DE). It seems that a few of the NOVA folks don't want to be considered DC, they would prefer to be considered VA and post in that thread. Totally confusing when they are closer to DC than Richmond.[/QUOTE]

Why are Virginia and Maryland/DC in separate regions anyway (in the forum descriptions)? It makes no sense at all. There should be "Mid-Atlantic" with PA, DE, MD, DC, VA, maybe WV.

Okay, been a couple of months since our last meetup. What is the interest in meeting up again? We have had suggestions to meet at a church in Columbia, MD or we can meet at D&B in Rockville, MD again. This time is seems we have more of a clue what is going on. We can bring trade stuff, I will ask the guys from Goozex to invite their folks and make it a party. I know this time I will bring a bunch of stuff to trade or sell.

hey that's great...just give me a heads up on when and where and I can send out a mass email to our members in MD, DC, VA

[quote name='thebob101']Okay, been a couple of months since our last meetup. What is the interest in meeting up again? We have had suggestions to meet at a church in Columbia, MD or we can meet at D&B in Rockville, MD again. This time is seems we have more of a clue what is going on. We can bring trade stuff, I will ask the guys from Goozex to invite their folks and make it a party. I know this time I will bring a bunch of stuff to trade or sell.[/quote]

I am down for it again :) I would prefer D&B again as it was a great place. We could also play more games and get some trading done, the only thing i would be against is not for anything in early may.

[quote name='Goozex']hey that's great...just give me a heads up on when and where and I can send out a mass email to our members in MD, DC, VA[/quote]

Love you guys, just made my first two trades on Goozex. I find myself watching my library and want list like crack!

[quote name='cleaver']Man, 2 months on Goozex and I've got one hit :( someone trade me DDRU

White Flint D&B gets my vote[/quote]

I have found it depends on the game, I have a couple up on Goozex, but no one is biting. I have found that even though the game is requested, that doesn't mean yours will get taken. Still learning how the whole system works, but it is very cool. Just received a sealed Godfather for the 360.

I think D&B would work the best as well. It is basically in the middle of NOVA & Baltimore, but still close to DC. I still don't think a lot of local CAG folk check this thread. Will have to think of a way to make it more known.

Anyone know which Gamestops in Maryland/DC has N64 games? I raped a few stores but I looking for more:D I fould a crapload in Ellicot City and some in Annapolis. Anymore out there or did you guys clean them out?

Man i love goozex. I love it. I have traded in Import Tuner Challenge (x360), Call of duty 3 (Wii) and Trauma Center (Wii).
I have gotten:
Matrix Path of Neo (PS2)
Ultimate Spiderman (DS)
Deathrow: Underground Team Combat (XB)
Prince of Persia Revelations (PSP)
Mad Maestro (PS2)
And Motorstorm (PS3) arriving in the mail!

All games so far have been in mint condition and have played perfectly. Shipping has been fast and people on the other side of the transaction where great when one of my deliveries was being slow. I can happily say that unless gamestop has an amazing deal i doubt i will ever use any other video game trading service again.

bread's done
Back