Washington D.C. Metro area.

lurknomore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Old post Edited for effect and max. exposure.....

The 5th DC Metro area CAG Meet-up/Game Swap

Dave & Buster's
White Flint Mall - 3rd Floor
11301 Rockville Pike
North Bethesda , MD 20895

3:00 pm onward ...(we have been going 3 hours+)

Saturday, April 26th

who plans to attend-
thebob101
lurknomore
G-Nitro
jmiller80
MCalvert1
cleaver - unless he is drafted in the 1st round
s0undwav3
abhinav- maybe
FlamingMoogles
GenDV138 - maybe

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Any CAGers around here? Really disappointed as the scene pales in comparison to Boston's video gaming scene. Any suggestions or local mom and pop shops? The Maryland-Virginia-DC area seems to be pretty weak.

[quote name='lurknomore']Indifference, your name came up during the meetup, so you were among those that were missed. See you around Live sometime.[/quote]

It's nice to be remembered:)

Yo, sorry guys I had a last minute work change, and didn't have time to get to the computer to shoot off the message. I'm definately gonna make it to our next one tho!

There's one in the Baltimore area and one in the DC area. I think near FedEx field, but I've never been there. Cleaver has, so perhaps he could elaborate. Their new website just went live, but it seems less useful then their last. The new items go on sale on thursdays, so tomorrow could be the day. I will post the info as I get it.

Edit: For those who have never heard of C-Mart, they are a seconds store for all kinds of random things. Much of their stock is bought from insurance companies. At least 2 times in the past they have sold what was left of the inventory of a Gamestop that was damaged by fire. Most everything was soaked from sprinklers or fire hoses, and aired out. So if this is the same situation, expect used games to have wrinkled up inserts and manuals. In the past, they priced everything at 50% off Gamestops price. Last time they even had a good stock of consoles, new and used. However, the current gen ones sold within minutes of the store opening.

MjC

Ok, nothing going on today from the looks of the ad in The Sun. I'm guessing next thursday. Ad only mentions Wiis and LCDs. Probaby a different situation than the water damaged Gamestop inventory.

Also, apparently the Landover location closed last month. So only the Joppa, MD (Baltimore) location still exists. But they are planning on having their inventory available online, so everyone may be able to get in on these deals. I guess we'll see.

MjC

[quote name='lurknomore']Cleaver is the man. I highly recommend his football acumen.

Although I disagree with his assessment, though generally shared nationally, of the success of the Redskins draft.[/QUOTE]
Thank you; my logic is that I'd rather assume Devin Thomas's contract than just about anyone else in the draft. i.e. would you rather have Thomas at 4 years, $4 million or Jake Long at 5 years, $57.5 million?

I'm sorry I missed the meetup and the elusive abhinav. Sounds like another good time for everyone. (It's been a busy month, and I had to work through that weekend.)

hey does anyone know of any decent mom and pop stores or good pawn shops north of DC? The only ones I really ever go to are gamer junction and cd/game exchange

[quote name='FlamingMoogles']hey does anyone know of any decent mom and pop stores or good pawn shops north of DC? The only ones I really ever go to are gamer junction and cd/game exchange[/QUOTE]

How in the world did you ever find Gamer Junction? It is tucked away in a neighborhood strip mall. Only about 5 minutes from my home, to boot.

[quote name='lurknomore']How in the world did you ever find Gamer Junction? It is tucked away in a neighborhood strip mall. Only about 5 minutes from my home, to boot.[/quote]

I live across the street from it. I walk up there sometimes. I've made friends with the owners haha, they know me by name. I guess we live pretty close by.

[quote name='FlamingMoogles']I live across the street from it. I walk up there sometimes. I've made friends with the owners haha, they know me by name. I guess we live pretty close by.[/quote]

I never even heard of Gamer Junction. I need to find it.

Here is some info on it. Pretty cool place. I'd reccomend it. The owners are very nice

9122 Rothbury Drive
Montgomery Village, MD 20886
Phone: (301) 527-0314

[quote name='FlamingMoogles']Here is some info on it. Pretty cool place. I'd reccomend it. The owners are very nice

9122 Rothbury Drive
Montgomery Village, MD 20886
Phone: (301) 527-0314[/quote]

I stopped by there this past Saturday. The store seemed to have more DVDs than games and the owners(who I assumed were the middle aged couple behind the counter) didn't even speak. I thought perhaps they were just busy, but when I asked a question and was met with rolling eyes and a sigh, I just left. One would think that in a world where Mom and Pop stores are becoming extinct that 'Mom' and/or 'Pop' would provide the customer service that the big stores wouldn't.

[quote name='lurknomore']...and that's the reason that I no longer go there. They can be ornery with certain people.[/quote]

Same deal with me. Checked it out a couple of times but got the ornery attitude.

Shame really, I try to support local stores (especially for gaming/media) but not worth the trip.

Hey if anyone wants a sealed copy of FF IX: Revenant Wings DS, I found one at Target for $20. Let me know, and I'll sell for cost + tax + shipping. Otherwise, it's going back to the store for someone else to find. Thanks!

MjC

Tactical Airsoft Arena is now open in Rockville. Anyone game?
Here is the email that I got from them the other day. Perhaps this will be our next meetup?

We've finally been given the OK to open by the City of Rockville!
Games will be starting this Friday May 16 at 7pm.

Our hours are
Friday 7pm-11pm
Saturday 11am-7pm
Sunday 11am-7pm

http://www.tacticalairsoftarena.com/

[quote name='lurknomore']Tactical Airsoft Arena is now open in Rockville. Anyone game?
Here is the email that I got from them the other day. Perhaps this will be our next meetup?

We've finally been given the OK to open by the City of Rockville!
Games will be starting this Friday May 16 at 7pm.

Our hours are
Friday 7pm-11pm
Saturday 11am-7pm
Sunday 11am-7pm

http://www.tacticalairsoftarena.com/[/quote]

Looks like a lot of fun. I am definitely interested! :twoguns:

Head up everyone. I stopped off at the Best Buy in Fairfax this afternoon (Fair Lakes/Oaks) and at the 360 section endcap, they had about 12 Halo 3 legendary editions, plus the strategy guide for $60. Maybe not a huge deal, but not bad considering its original retail price.

This is more than likely a manager special.

[quote name='FlamingMoogles']I live across the street from it. I walk up there sometimes. I've made friends with the owners haha, they know me by name. I guess we live pretty close by.[/QUOTE]

Huh, I've never seen this place, yet I apparently live 4.17 miles away. Is this in the shopping center that is across the street from the one with Giant, Blockbuster, Hungry Howies, and a pet supply store? Is there a McDonalds in the parking lot?

Hey all, I know the last meet up was pretty recent, but I figured I would throw this out there. PLAY! is coming to the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra on July 18th, at the Meyerhoff concert hall. I am getting a group of friends together to go and figured I would see if any of my fellow CAGs are interested.

Info is here --http://www.play-symphony.com/index.php

And ordering is here -- http://www.bsomusic.org/main.taf?p=1,1,1,2&PerfNo=7336

Hey Tiny! I would be interested in that, but I'll be in St Thomas that weekend.

Also, I like Lurk's idea for trying out the Airsoft place. Anyone else interested in giving it a shot?

MjC

[quote name='adamsappel']Huh, I've never seen this place, yet I apparently live 4.17 miles away. Is this in the shopping center that is across the street from the one with Giant, Blockbuster, Hungry Howies, and a pet supply store? Is there a McDonalds in the parking lot?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but the Hungry Howies is no longer. We only have the HH that is in Derwood atm. But once again, yes, it's in the McDonald's strip mall.

[quote name='MCalvert1']

Also, I like Lurk's idea for trying out the Airsoft place. Anyone else interested in giving it a shot?

MjC[/QUOTE]
Pun intended, I imagine.

[quote name='lurknomore']Something is in the midst...let's start talking about possible free weekends, and then I'll make an announcement.[/quote]

After this weekend, July is pretty open for me.

[quote name='lurknomore']Something is in the midst...let's start talking about possible free weekends, and then I'll make an announcement.[/QUOTE]

July 12 works for me. Also, the three "middle" weekends work in August. I can't make anything else in July or August.

Anyone else going to PAX?

I don't expect to have any free weekends in July, but there will probably be a couple of dates in August that would work for me. I'll have to check back in later.

Also, I check out that Airsoft place in Rockville. Tactical Airsoft Arena. It was pretty good. Nice selection of rental guns, good protective equipment. Prices were not bad at all, especially if you don't need to rent any gear. The playing area was designed well enough, but it is fairly small. And there's still plenty of construction stuff lying around in unused areas. It's new, and I'm sure they'll have that sorted out soon enough. The guy who appeared to be the owner was pretty cool. I found his description of the rules to be pretty entertaining.

MjC

Rockville BB has about 3 or 4 tubs of games for various systems, all 50% off.

Nothing notable, MLB 07 I think was the only PS3 game I saw.

They also have Halo 3 Legendary for $50

[quote name='jgamezcua']Rockville BB has about 3 or 4 tubs of games for various systems, all 50% off.

Nothing notable, MLB 07 I think was the only PS3 game I saw.

They also have Halo 3 Legendary for $50[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up, might be time to finally pick up that helmet.

It looks like this is where all the NoVA people migrated to (the one in the Southeastern region is pretty empty) so I guess I might get a better answer here.

Can anybody recommend any major (well, doesn't have to be major in size, but in content) video game/anime specialty stores around the area. I live in Ashburn, VA (which is surrounded by a bunch of bigger cities (Leesburg, Chantilly, Sterling), but doesn't have much in itself) and I've gone exploring myself a bit. I've found eStarland in Fairfax, VA (which is a nice little store with a good selection of everything) and Anime Pavilion in Falls Church, VA (great store for manga/DVDs). I went searching for other ones, but the only other one of any significance was Anime World in Chantilly, and to be honest, it paled in comparison to the previous two stores. If anybody knows and can recommend any stores within an hours drive from Ashburn, that'd be great.

Omnislash124, I don't know if I can be of any help...as I just don't think that there are any great video game stores in the DC metro area. Welcome to this thread, as we certainly welcome Northern VA CAGs.

Anyhow, just wanted to report that in Lakeforest Mall, Gaithersburg, there is a new foreign DVD shop, called Foreign Cinema...it specializes in Asian martial arts/import DVDs. It is an interesting shop with Anime, swords, etc. I cannot vouch for the authenticity of all of the materials sold though. I personally had my doubts but they re-assured me many times over.

Will post again.

[quote name='Omnislash124']It looks like this is where all the NoVA people migrated to (the one in the Southeastern region is pretty empty) so I guess I might get a better answer here.

Can anybody recommend any major (well, doesn't have to be major in size, but in content) video game/anime specialty stores around the area. I live in Ashburn, VA (which is surrounded by a bunch of bigger cities (Leesburg, Chantilly, Sterling), but doesn't have much in itself) and I've gone exploring myself a bit. I've found eStarland in Fairfax, VA (which is a nice little store with a good selection of everything) and Anime Pavilion in Falls Church, VA (great store for manga/DVDs). I went searching for other ones, but the only other one of any significance was Anime World in Chantilly, and to be honest, it paled in comparison to the previous two stores. If anybody knows and can recommend any stores within an hours drive from Ashburn, that'd be great.[/quote]

Microcenter is decent as far as having pretty much any game you can think of. Otherwise it's your usual Gamestop/EBgames/BBV/BB/CC...

[quote name='Omnislash124']It looks like this is where all the NoVA people migrated to (the one in the Southeastern region is pretty empty) so I guess I might get a better answer here.

Can anybody recommend any major (well, doesn't have to be major in size, but in content) video game/anime specialty stores around the area. I live in Ashburn, VA (which is surrounded by a bunch of bigger cities (Leesburg, Chantilly, Sterling), but doesn't have much in itself) and I've gone exploring myself a bit. I've found eStarland in Fairfax, VA (which is a nice little store with a good selection of everything) and Anime Pavilion in Falls Church, VA (great store for manga/DVDs). I went searching for other ones, but the only other one of any significance was Anime World in Chantilly, and to be honest, it paled in comparison to the previous two stores. If anybody knows and can recommend any stores within an hours drive from Ashburn, that'd be great.[/quote]

Microcenter is somewhat ok, but their staff and management has become mostly useless in recent years. eStarland's hole in the wall shop is good and their Saturday specials can be really good sometimes. Ashburn is still a developing area (my brother works out there).

[quote name='lurknomore']
Anyhow, just wanted to report that in Lakeforest Mall, Gaithersburg, there is a new foreign DVD shop, called Foreign Cinema...it specializes in Asian martial arts/import DVDs. It is an interesting shop with Anime, swords, etc. I cannot vouch for the authenticity of all of the materials sold though. I personally had my doubts but they re-assured me many times over.

Will post again.[/quote]

If it's anything like Foreign Flix, half the movies are prolly bootlegs. And I've had problems trying to get the DVDs to work from FF. If you do buy anything from there lurk, let me know, cuz I would def check it out.

Thanks for the suggestions. Microcenter seems to be a good place to check out, even if everything I see is retail price. Assuming we're talking about the one this Microcenter, and better yet, there's supposedly one in Fairfax, which is around the area of eStarland and Anime Pavilion. If I'm feeling brave, I might venture up to Maryland. Gaithersburg's not too far away either. Maybe an 50 minutes to an hour?

And yeah, Ashburn is still in the process of developing. LOTS of wide open spaces just sitting there. It's lacking some shopping centers. Sadly, the closest Gamestops/EB/BB/CC/TRU are all in neighboring city Sterling.

[quote name='Omnislash124']Thanks for the suggestions. Microcenter seems to be a good place to check out, even if everything I see is retail price. Assuming we're talking about the one this Microcenter, and better yet, there's supposedly one in Fairfax, which is around the area of eStarland and Anime Pavilion. If I'm feeling brave, I might venture up to Maryland. Gaithersburg's not too far away either. Maybe an 50 minutes to an hour?

And yeah, Ashburn is still in the process of developing. LOTS of wide open spaces just sitting there. It's lacking some shopping centers. Sadly, the closest Gamestops/EB/BB/CC/TRU are all in neighboring city Sterling.[/quote]

These days Microcenter can be good for spare parts, however they tend to be very competitive with Newegg and last time they told me that they will MATCH newegg if they offer something cheaper than what MC has to offer.
They do trade in's at the fairfax location, however don't expect great deals or prices for trade in's these days. In the beginning they had some great promos, including trade any 9 games (no matter what generation as long as it was in their system) and you get an extra 25 back over your credit.
I would suggest signing up for their monthly sales ad.

I suggest going their on Satudays in the mid after noon as you can swing by the Estarland store for the saturday specials then hop over to MC a few miles away.

So for any NoVa cagers just lettin you know, even though i reside in montgomery village; my girlfriend lives in Leesburg....so if anyone is up for some trades or anything just let me know! Cause i'm down there alot.

[quote name='ITDEFX']These days Microcenter can be good for spare parts, however they tend to be very competitive with Newegg and last time they told me that they will MATCH newegg if they offer something cheaper than what MC has to offer.
They do trade in's at the fairfax location, however don't expect great deals or prices for trade in's these days. In the beginning they had some great promos, including trade any 9 games (no matter what generation as long as it was in their system) and you get an extra 25 back over your credit.
I would suggest signing up for their monthly sales ad.

I suggest going their on Satudays in the mid after noon as you can swing by the Estarland store for the saturday specials then hop over to MC a few miles away.[/quote]

I had a pretty fucked up convo with the Rockville manager - he wouldn't budge. I was trying to get them to match mobo prices, I'm talking literally $120-150 over Newegg. Apparently the best he could do was still $50 more than Newegg's - and he told me "take it or leave it". Truly wtf moment for me.

Manager's pretty much a dbag to put it bluntly. If you are able to get anything out of him, I commend you.

FYI, Germantown Walmart has 2 eye of judgement fromt the recent "nationwide, ahem cough cough" drop.

UNFORTUNATELY, they're ringing up 69.99. Of course, when I went to ring up, it was the floor manager who rung me up. I mentioned to him that I thought the price may be incorrect and he said "yeah, this item is deleted and dropped in price but we have the discretion of accepting the price drop. Our store isn't going to adjust the price to $29."

WTF!!! Maybe some other CAG will get lucky and score it for $29, but don't get your hopes up at the Germantown Walmart :(

bread's done
Back