Washington D.C. Metro area.

lurknomore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Old post Edited for effect and max. exposure.....

The 5th DC Metro area CAG Meet-up/Game Swap

Dave & Buster's
White Flint Mall - 3rd Floor
11301 Rockville Pike
North Bethesda , MD 20895

3:00 pm onward ...(we have been going 3 hours+)

Saturday, April 26th

who plans to attend-
thebob101
lurknomore
G-Nitro
jmiller80
MCalvert1
cleaver - unless he is drafted in the 1st round
s0undwav3
abhinav- maybe
FlamingMoogles
GenDV138 - maybe

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Any CAGers around here? Really disappointed as the scene pales in comparison to Boston's video gaming scene. Any suggestions or local mom and pop shops? The Maryland-Virginia-DC area seems to be pretty weak.

The meet is this weekend. Look forward to seeing everyone there. Going to be fun!

Washington D.C. Metro Area CAG/Goozex/Pwned Meet-up

Date: Saturday, October 10th 2009

Time: 2PM - Whenever (We've gone 3+ hours)

7000 Arundel Mills Circle Suite D-1 Hanover , MD 21076 443-755-0113

We will meet in the bar near the outside entrance.

who plans to attend-
G-Nitro
mafafu
Kevlar51
I-Weapon-X
MCalvert1
BlackCoyote
mischiefmaker
taintedzodiac
geomoose
nightmare452
animallyson - maybe
The Mana Knight
horns456
nissan288
The Great BM
Indifference
abhinav
Black Fox Zulu

Please post in the thread or PM and I'll update the list as necessary.
We are finally having another meet, as it has been a good bit since our last one. Since our last one was at White Flint Mall in Rockville, we are bringing it back to Arundel Mills in Hanover, MD to make it more accessible to those in the Baltimore area again.

Don't forget to bring your games and other stuff to trade or give away, as we always have a nice swap/trade session.

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Planning on getting to the meet around 2-3pm. Gonna bring some PS3 games to trade (I wanna keep the games, but will bring em just in case). If anyone has an extra Demon's Souls guide, let me know, that game is hard but fun.

Only got 4 images of the meet. Mark from Goozex got a few more.

SDC10144.jpg

SDC10145.jpg

SDC10146.jpg

SDC10147.jpg

had a blast today tho. Was great seeing people again and meeting new faces. Look forward to the next White Flint meet in the spring.

Nice meeting you all. Glad I came to the event. I honestly wish I could have spent more time there, but my time on weekends can be limited due to how busy I am on weekdays.

Hi, new to CAG here,

I found CAG from fatwallet through the free BB warhammer deal.

So anyone want to trade? I'm in Alexandria and can travel.

I have 3 copies of PC Warhammer Online: age of reckoning
2 sealed
1 opened, because I wanted to look at the art/packaging, was not impressed, but never installed it or used the 1 month code

looking for other recent PC or xbox 360 games

Thanks for reading

Anyone see that BlazBlue arcade machine (I think its a real one) at Power Gamer in Glen Burnie? I once went to Power Gamer on Reisterstown (sp) Rd. and didn't see as much as the Glen Burnie one (which had wall scrolls, T-Shirts, etc.).

Anyone go to the Power Plant area and enjoy it (if people know what area I'm talking about, lol)? People want me to go sometime because I tend to mostly play video games and not have a lot of fun, lol.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Anyone see that BlazBlue arcade machine (I think its a real one) at Power Gamer in Glen Burnie? I once went to Power Gamer on Reisterstown (sp) Rd. and didn't see as much as the Glen Burnie one (which had wall scrolls, T-Shirts, etc.).

Anyone go to the Power Plant area and enjoy it (if people know what area I'm talking about, lol)? People want me to go sometime because I tend to mostly play video games and not have a lot of fun, lol.[/QUOTE]

Mana,

You are talking about the Inner Harbor for the Power Plant reference. The ESPN zone is okay, but the better part is the "Howl at the Moon" a piano bar down the block, or one of the other pubs in the area.

I heard about that place mentioned from co-workers. They also tried getting me out to Norma Jeans on my birthday, but no way I was going there. ;)

They at least want me to go to the Power Plant with them some weekend (which is basically what my recent blog on CAG was discussing, about hanging out). I probably will go, although I'm not the type to go out late at night. They say I can't go without having a beer at least, lol. My only concern is parking and such (since I've never really been to that area).

Yeah, Baltimore is actually a little bit confusing as the streets are like in the capital city. I would say you should at least get google maps of the area and then look around for parking. Since it is in the evening it will not be so bad. I am not much of a drinker either as it is expensive and the probability to meet a decent woman at Howl at the Moon or other bars at Power Plant is really low. I would advise having 2 light beers and take your time between them since you do not drink much. You can get to know your co-workers on a personal level and possibly make a friend from the event.

I did see Howling At the Moon while I was out, but didn't go there. I spent time at a place nearby there, forgot the name. Pretty crazy night (I blogged about it) and I even did something no one would believe.

Anyone themselves get snowed in when we had 20+ inches of snow around two weeks ago? I didn't even bother going into work that day. Kind of sucks we've been having some cold/icy days as of late.

Also, anyone get affected by the water main break that happened in Baltimore (that was before the snow)? I just know my county had to cut back on water usage that evening.

I was all over the northern part of the city 6 days ago trying to track down particular Kingdom Hearts T-Shirts at Hot Topic, but found them in the mall at Towson.

If anyone is looking for Street Fighter IV T-Shirts or some other gaming/anime shirts (I can't say there has been as many left), the FYE at Arundel Mills has a ton. They also have a bunch of snuggies, like Kingdom Hearts, SFIV, etc. for $15. I'm going to places around Columbia/Ellicott City today and will keep an eye out for what I see.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']They also have a bunch of snuggies, like Kingdom Hearts, SFIV, etc. for $15. [/QUOTE]

Wow, those actually exist? For $15 I might consider it, if they have them at FYEs closer to me.

Figured I'd post this here: The FYE in the Georgetown Mall (officially called The Shops at Georgetown Park) is going out of business (probably because that mall is a piece of crap), and everything in the store is currently between 50-70% off, including games. It's only a few blocks from my office so I went in the other day, and the guy told me they'd be open until Jan. 23rd. Not sure whether there will be a further discount increase, though I doubt it.

There is a pretty decent selection of games left, though as always since it's FYE you've got to make sure things weren't so marked up to begin with that you're not actually getting a deal.

I spotted a Devil Summoner 2 w/ Plushie sealed for $20 on Saturday, but when I went back on Monday it was gone. I know it was one of you... :bomb:

Isn't there going to be another D&B meetup soon? I believe the last years was in late Feb. or sometime in Mar.

Anyway, there's a good chance I'll attend Otakon this year.

So I wanted to comment on a couple things.

1) Indifference, great job on the podcast, I was listening yesterday on trip back from DC. It was alot of fun, even if I do not agree with your co-host all the time.

2)PAX East - Who is going? How are you going? I am thinking of taking part in the PAX East Train Alliance, but last time I was in Boston, I loved having my car, so it is a tough choice.

3) I definitely support another meetup and appluad the brave souls who decide to put it together. :)

I'll definitely be attending Otakon this year (almost nothing will stop me as I missed last years after 3 straight years!).

PAX East is still a rare maybe, as I have no other person I know that wants to go and haven't done any research on groups and such, but I would love to go, might go to the Seattle based one.

As for the next meet, I don't know who planned those before but I am always open to a meet as its always nice to hang and talk and trade games for a while.

1) I'll be at PAX East. Me and a friend are driving up that Thursday and then driving back down that Monday. If anyone wants to catch a ride, we can fit about 2 more people comfortable in my Scion xB. More people equals less money to spend on gas. :)

2) As for Otakon, I will be there as well. Love going to Otakon, and going to save a lot of money for the Dealers Room. Spent about $1k last year on figures and stuff. O_O;

3) Looking to set up another meet in probably Early March. How about March 6th or 13th? Otherwise I won't be free until late April. Looking to do it at the White FLint D&B this time to be fair to those closer to DC. If anyone has any other suggestions on places, let me know. Some places still in that general vicinity as we have some people from further out of town who are looking to come to the next one.

Let me know about those dates and I will work on getting it set up between CAG and Goozex.

[quote name='dwhelan']So I wanted to comment on a couple things.

1) Indifference, great job on the podcast, I was listening yesterday on trip back from DC. It was alot of fun, even if I do not agree with your co-host all the time.

2)PAX East - Who is going? How are you going? I am thinking of taking part in the PAX East Train Alliance, but last time I was in Boston, I loved having my car, so it is a tough choice.

3) I definitely support another meetup and appluad the brave souls who decide to put it together. :)[/QUOTE]

1) Thanks for the show feedback. Much appreciated.

2) I am definitely going to Pax East, I will have a rental car but only for friday until my family flies in on Saturday and uses it to visit other family. I was going to rely on public transportation.

3) I agree we are due for another CAG meetup. I suppose it will be at White Flynt this time.

I've made arrangements for PAX East -- I plan to be there along with a couple friends. Shaping up to be quite an event.

White Flynt sounds good, too. I'm busy Saturdays in February and April, but I should have another one free in March.

I'm not 100% certain on PAX East yet. I know many would like to meet up w/ me and it would be a lot of fun, but its coming up a bit too soon for me to try and make it.

March does sound like a good month for the next meet. It could be sort of a pre-party for those going to Pax. I am unfortunately not going to be traveling to Boston. Is anyone interested in spearheading this time?

MjC

As of this point, it looks like I will be setting the meet up for Saturday March 13th. I will be putting forth the details by this weekend.

[quote name='G-Nitro']1)

2) As for Otakon, I will be there as well. Love going to Otakon, and going to save a lot of money for the Dealers Room. Spent about $1k last year on figures and stuff. O_O;

[/QUOTE]

I will probably be at Otakon, hopefully I get my panel again on Japanese Pro Wrestling. The Dealers Room use to be great, now dealers just run up the SRP on most items. Last year almost everything I saw was overpriced in terms of statues, figures, and models. I even know what the dealer usually pays for that stuff as well since I work with that kind of stuff on a daily basis.

Of course they run up the SRP, but they also have to haul the stuff there and pay for a spot. Luckily it's still cheaper than ordering from many sites. Shipping usually kills those deals. Sundays usually has a good mark down of stuff tho. Got some figures hat were $30 or $40 for $15 or less

That is true but it's rare to see them do mark downs anymore. Back in 2001/2002 every dealer had some type of mark down on Sunday on figures, statues,models, DVDs, wall scrolls, etc.

Still fun to watch people pay for something way over the SRP.

I know it's still early but maybe there should be a meet-up planned for the CAGs going to Otakon. I talked to one of there staff members the other day and mentioned that pre-registration should go up real soon.

Washington D.C. Metro Area Goozex/CAG/Pwned Meet-up

Date: Saturday, March 13th 2010

Time: 2PM - Whenever (We've gone 3+ hours)

11301 Rockville Pike Kensington, MD 20895

We will meet near the bar at hopefully one of the long sections of tables. If not we will be near the bar..

who plans to attend-

• G-Nitro
  • Mafafu
  • The Great Bm
  • The Mana Knight
  • GenDV138
  • Indifference
  • Sc4rfac3
  • geomoose
  • dwhelan
  • MCalvert1
  • hostyl1
  • horns456
  • Oswald9599
  • jmiller80
  • nightmare452
Please post in the thread or PM and I'll update the list as necessary.

We are back at White Flint this time, just before everyone heads off to PAX East.

Don't forget to bring your games and other stuff to trade or give away, as we always have a nice swap/trade session.

I should be able to make it to the D&B gathering, but just the tail end of it. Fortunately, I'll be in the Tenleytown/AU area, so it won't be a far trip for me to White Flint.

Also, I'll be at PAX East, but just Saturday. I'd be happy to meet up wherever/whenever that day.

Haven't been able to attend the last several meet-ups, but I should finally be able to make it next month (assuming my work schedule at the new job doesn't change by then).

[quote name='GenDV138']Haven't been able to attend the last several meet-ups, but I should finally be able to make it next month (assuming my work schedule at the new job doesn't change by then).[/QUOTE]

Haha, I FINALLY realized what your handle was. Gen13 and DV8 put together. Good show. Loved those comics back in the day! :D

[quote name='G-Nitro']Haha, I FINALLY realized what your handle was. Gen13 and DV8 put together. Good show. Loved those comics back in the day! :D[/QUOTE]

Yeah same here, those were two of my favorite comics back then. Still got them stacked away somewhere. I've had to explain it to most people who ask so it's cool to see when people can figure it out themselves!

bread's done
Back