Watson on Jeopardy

RAMSTORIA

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
Anyone watch tonight?

I'm more of a Wheel of Fortune kind of guy, but this is pretty interesting stuff, impressive too. I have my DVR set for the next 3 days.

Who do you think will win, man or machine?

I was shitting a brick in my pants at the beginning, but it seems like all the humans needed to do was find an old video game boss sort of weakness to exploit. That, and Watson kept on choking on the higher dollar questions. I wonder if there's a cooling problem or something, though. I'd imagine they have Watson OCed like a mofo.

Watson will wipe the floor with them. Watson dominated in all the warm up matches. Not sure why this is such a big deal, obviously the computer would win such a contest. Deep Blue beating Kasparov was a much bigger deal.

it'd be more impressive if i knew how the process worked. is it functioning solely off of voice recognition or is the data being submitted simultaneously? then what happens with that data?

I think one of the guys will win. I'm sure the computer has more knowledge than both but I think the way questions are worded might do the computer in. It was funny when it repeated a wrong answer one of the other contestants said.

[quote name='Kaelestis']I think one of the guys will win. I'm sure the computer has more knowledge than both but I think the way questions are worded might do the computer in. It was funny when it repeated a wrong answer one of the other contestants said.[/QUOTE]
That was pretty funny.

I'm not sure who will win. Part of me says Watson will win, since he has the advantage over either human, in being able to process an answer long before the human players can. However, the way he's gone so far makes me think that something is going to do him in.

I'm more confused for instance with how his first pick was the Daily Double in the round. That's some pretty big luck.

[quote name='Altanis']That was pretty funny.

I'm not sure who will win. Part of me says Watson will win, since he has the advantage over either human, in being able to process an answer long before the human players can. However, the way he's gone so far makes me think that something is going to do him in.

I'm more confused for instance with how his first pick was the Daily Double in the round. That's some pretty big luck.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the way they explained the process it does seem like Watson get an extra second or so on the questions, thats huge in Jeopardy time.

[quote name='dopa345']Watson will wipe the floor with them. Watson dominated in all the warm up matches. Not sure why this is such a big deal, obviously the computer would win such a contest. Deep Blue beating Kasparov was a much bigger deal.[/QUOTE]

Deep Blue isn't a bigger deal; understanding natural language is much more complex. Chess is logical, and has a fixed set of rules.

Also, Jeopardy is full of wordplay. Watson has to be able to understand the context of the question and choose the correct answer accordingly.

[quote name='crystalklear64']it'd be more impressive if i knew how the process worked. is it functioning solely off of voice recognition or is the data being submitted simultaneously? then what happens with that data?[/QUOTE]

Watson is supposed to have the answers fed to it as plain text. Supposedly there isn't supposed to be too much of an advantage, as Watson can only buzz in as soon as the question is done and this is done mechanically.

Well, Watson cleaned everybody's clock. I thought Rutter had a chance when he tied it up yesterday, but Watson came back and bitch-slapped the both of them practically the entire time.

One more day.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Deep Blue isn't a bigger deal; understanding natural language is much more complex. Chess is logical, and has a fixed set of rules.

Also, Jeopardy is full of wordplay. Watson has to be able to understand the context of the question and choose the correct answer accordingly.

Watson is supposed to have the answers fed to it as plain text. Supposedly there isn't supposed to be too much of an advantage, as Watson can only buzz in as soon as the question is done and this is done mechanically.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. There is a lot intuition beyond just knowing the rules to chess. Otherwise there would be a perfect way to play and all games would end in a tie.

With Jeopardy, it's basically picking out keywords and phrases and using probability algorithms to find the right answer. Watson already has all the right answers, it's just an access issue.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Deep Blue isn't a bigger deal; understanding natural language is much more complex. Chess is logical, and has a fixed set of rules.

Watson is supposed to have the answers fed to it as plain text. Supposedly there isn't supposed to be too much of an advantage, as Watson can only buzz in as soon as the question is done and this is done mechanically.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. High level chess is far more complex then just knowing the rules. There are literally millions of variables to consider requiring a high degree of intuition and strategic planning to play at a grandmaster level. Otherwise there would be a perfect way to play and all games would end in a tie.

With Jeopardy, it's basically picking out keywords and phrases and using probability algorithms to find the right answer. Watson already has all the right answers which is a huge advantage over any human opponent.

There's obviously more than just "knowing the rules", but there is still only a fixed number of rules unlike natural language. Solving chess is algorithmic, although still complex. Natural language can imply so many different meanings based on a combination of words, wordplay, inflection, etc. For example, "bat" could mean baseball bat, cricket bat, bat (mammal), batman... and the list could continue. With millions of words and combinations the possibilities just explode.

Not to mention Watson has much more practical applications than Deep Blue. A computer that can play chess? Great, now what do you do with it? A computer that can parse and understand natural language can have many more practical uses.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Not to mention Watson has much more practical applications than Deep Blue. A computer that can play chess? Great, now what do you do with it?[/QUOTE]

Also program it for thermonuclear war and tic-tac-toe. In that order.

Watson has 14 years on Deep Blue. Do you even remember what computers were like 14 years ago?

Deep Blue is more important because it showed just how far computers had advanced. At this point people expect this kind of stuff. It is neat, but it doesn't compare.

I'm convinced Watson has an advantage due to the feeding of questions.

Prediction for tomorrow night. A time traveller suddenly appears on stage next to Alex, screaming about the future and blow Watson up.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']I'm convinced Watson has an advantage due to the feeding of questions.

Prediction for tomorrow night. A time traveller suddenly appears on stage next to Alex, screaming about the future and blow Watson up.[/QUOTE]

The swerve will be he aims a laser towards Watson, but then shoots Jennings instead. Saving everyone.

[quote name='neocisco']"Watson, please answer in the form of a question."

"I'm sorry, I can't do that, Alex."

Trebek is a dead man.[/QUOTE]

lol, we're all dead. Jimmy Kimmel suggested to Trebek that he should attack the computer now and strike a blow for humanity while we still can. Unless..... Trebek is.... ... ..

Damn machines, first they take our unskilled labor jobs, now they're trying to replace our gameshow contestants.

For Jennings, Jeopardy is combat, you can tell he's forcing himself to not give a fuck and just barely winning that battle.

Ken'll snap today. He'll jump that LCD panel, rip it off, then march into Watson's mainframe and gut the fucker. Jeopardy is war, Watson.

GO KEN. FOR THE FUTURE OF YOUR SPECIES YOU MUST DO THIS.

I happen to catch "The Smartest Machine on Earth" and "Making Material's Smarter" On Nova the other day. I'm fucking amazed by both. Episodes can be seen here. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/

Anyway, I'm fucking blown away by Watson, but also paranoid in a Terminator way.

I was amazed at their process to make Watson "more human". Great stuff.

I liked how Conan couldn't get over the idea that he had a loaded shotgun behind the podium. "Remember when those ducks got in here." :rofl:

[quote name='Strell']Watson vs Sean Connery.

Showdown of the century.[/QUOTE]

Watson wouldn't know what to do with a penis mightier!

[quote name='Strell']Watson vs Sean Connery.

Showdown of the century.[/QUOTE]

I was a little disappointed that IBM didn't give Watson the voice of Sean Connery.

is there anywhere online to watch all three episodes? I notice there are only clips on hulu and I don't really know where else to search

[quote name='lokizz']is this some kind of publicity stunt? have the ratings on jeopardy been dropping of late?[/QUOTE]
It's Jeopardy.

[quote name='Clak']It's Jeopardy.[/QUOTE]
Hmm, maybe...though it could be pro-AI/robotics propaganda cooked up by Goodson-Todman to incite rebellion among the luddite higher-ups in the Merv Griffin regime. Alex Trebek supposedly refuses to use Facebook because "it won't fit on a index card."

Plus, last I heard G-T still has counter-agents in the field.

But maybe you're right, maybe it's just Jeopardy. ;)

[quote name='lokizz']is this some kind of publicity stunt? have the ratings on jeopardy been dropping of late?[/QUOTE]

More like IBM had to do something so people still think they are relevant.

[quote name='62t']More like IBM had to do something so people still think they are relevant.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, what's IBM ever done? Go make more cash registers or program punch cards, lame-os!

bread's done
Back