Ways to improve XP performance?

option.iv

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
What are the various ways to improve Windows XP's performance and speed?

So far I have installed an nLite-ned version of Windows XP SP3 (573 MB installed with drivers). This has greatly improved the boot and shutdown times because of all the bloatware taken out.

I also redirected My Documents,TEMP/TMP, and Program Files Folders to another drive.

On a side note, I used Ramdisk to set Firefox's (my default browser) cache to the virtual Ramdisk. Greatly increases Firefox's speed. Can also work for IE.

I was thinking of directing the TEMP/TMP folders to the virtual hard drive. However, I'd probably be in trouble when it comes to installations of files that require a lot of space in those said folders.

I was wondering, are there any other software specific ways to increase the performance of XP?

Thanks in advance.

Just how fast do you want it to go? Or are you trying to streamline for an older machine? My machine is sort of new, and despite being very lax on my defragmenting habits and not having any of the stuff you just said, it flies.

Thanks for the replies guys.

@ITDEFX: Thanks for the ccleaner suggestion, though I think I took out most of the unused stuff when I went through the nLite-ning process.

Basically, I'd like the OS to run as fast as possible while retaining slightly more than basic functions (XP themes, firefox w/addons, etc.). I certainly don't want my OS to be the barebones minimum.

My machine is new, but the specs aren't out of this world because it's a laptop (UMPC). It's running a 1.6 Atom Processor with 1GB ram. You could say I want to hit a sweetspot between efficiency and flexibility.

A question about defragging. I was very lazy before and would hardly defrag my drives. If I'm running a 4GB drive with nothing but the OS on it, how often would I "have" to defrag, assuming I mainly use the computer for internet/word processing (which are saved to the other drive).

Also, should I stick it out with the Windows firewall or can anyone suggest to me a light yet efficient firewall that hopefully wont bog down any resources.

Your nLited distro is 573 mb!? How much of that is drivers?

Mine is like 340 with drivers.

--

As for a firewall, I'd say if you're smart, you don't need it.

For defragging, just do it once a month or every two weeks or so. I suggest using Piriform's Defraggler.

[quote name='option.iv']What are the various ways to improve Windows XP's performance and speed?

I was thinking of directing the TEMP/TMP folders to the virtual hard drive. However, I'd probably be in trouble when it comes to installations of files that require a lot of space in those said folders.

I was wondering, are there any other software specific ways to increase the performance of XP?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Whatever performance gain you get wouldn't really be worth the issue which you described.

Have you shutdown all of the unnecessary services? http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm -- That can free up to 70 megs of resources.

System Restore can be a hog, I never use it.

Also, classic view is faster vs Luna. That frees up some resources as well.

Windows Firewall isn't too efficient. I roll with my router firewall, it works better and uses no resources on my PC. I'm unsure how WF compares to say, ZoneAlarm as far as resources go.

[quote name='ITDEFX']simple, what ever the fuck you do, don't upgrade it to Vista.[/QUOTE]

or try to sound intelligent

some general stuff that works in pretty much any windows os

1) Uninstall any crap. Go into add and remove programs and uninstall anything you don't need.

2) Run ccleaner, for the regular scan and the registry scan

3) defrag at least once a month

4) go into services and stop anything you don't need. It's typically safer to change services to manual instead of disabled in case it really in needed.

5) use the software explorer in windows defender to make sure nothing is running on start up that shouldn't be

6) install and run hijack this and track down anything other garbage taking up resources and shut them down.

Thanks n25. ccleaner is really a jewel of a program. Pretty much got the services reduced to the ones I "need". Is windows defender that windows anti-adware program (sounds like adware itself). I haven't used anti-adware in a long time. The last one I used was Lavasoft Ad-aware (is it still one of the best?).

Now, as for hijack this, is it easy to use? I remember using it a long time ago as an ignorant youngin' and deleting critical windows files.

Also, thanks joe for the suggestions. I'll have to go through the services again to make sure whatever wasn't turned off or left out in my nlite install is taken care of. Prior to the nLite install, I was also debating whether or not to keep system restore, and ultimately took it out. So far so good. Also, I just gotta have my Royale Noir theme, too. At least my logon screen is classic

As for firewall, I just dled and installed Comodo Firewall for whenever I go out roaming around for hotspots (I used to be a Sygate fan, alas, no more). I guess I just gotta put more faith in my router's natural firewall.

I really don't think Vista will run well on such a weak computer, so I'll not even think about installing it. And looking at Vista on another pereson's laptop, i just shivered at all the bloatware I would have to fish through if I wanted to use vLite.

edit: I was also introduced to this nifty program. http://www.sandboxie.com/
It really makes me feel at ease knowing if I mess up online by acquiring tracking cookies, adware, etc., it can all be erased upon closure of the program. I would highly suggest it for anyone who wants to prevent viruses and adware. It also uses very very minimal resources.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='option.iv']Thanks n25. ccleaner is really a jewel of a program. Pretty much got the services reduced to the ones I "need". Is windows defender that windows anti-adware program (sounds like adware itself). I haven't used anti-adware in a long time. The last one I used was Lavasoft Ad-aware (is it still one of the best?).

Now, as for hijack this, is it easy to use? I remember using it a long time ago as an ignorant youngin' and deleting critical windows files.

Also, thanks joe for the suggestions. I'll have to go through the services again to make sure whatever wasn't turned off or left out in my nlite install is taken care of. Prior to the nLite install, I was also debating whether or not to keep system restore, and ultimately took it out. So far so good. Also, I just gotta have my Royale Noir theme, too. At least my logon screen is classic

As for firewall, I just dled and installed Comodo Firewall for whenever I go out roaming around for hotspots (I used to be a Sygate fan, alas, no more). I guess I just gotta put more faith in my router's natural firewall.

I really don't think Vista will run well on such a weak computer, so I'll not even think about installing it. And looking at Vista on another pereson's laptop, i just shivered at all the bloatware I would have to fish through if I wanted to use vLite.

edit: I was also introduced to this nifty program. http://www.sandboxie.com/
It really makes me feel at ease knowing if I mess up online by acquiring tracking cookies, adware, etc., it can all be erased upon closure of the program. I would highly suggest it for anyone who wants to prevent viruses and adware. It also uses very very minimal resources.[/QUOTE]

Windows Defender is just like ad-aware, except for it sucks at doing anything with adware. The software explorer in it is awesome though as it's just like msconfig except for it gives you a lot more information about programs so it's easier to tell what to keep and what to remove.

hi-jack this isn't hard to use, you just need to be conservative with it. If you're not sure if something should be removed don't remove it. If you want you can run it, get the log and paste it here and I'll tell you what is safe to remove.

When you are connected to your router you should definately trust it's firewall. A software firewall is better then nothing, but it will never compare to a hardware firewall.

What are the stats on the computer. If it's weak I would stick with XP, but people do love to exagerate the resourse need of Vista. It's easier than admitting they don't know what to do with it. I have it on my three year old tablet which is certainly no powerhouse and it run circles around what XP ever did on it.

bread's done
Back