Ways to save while shipping?

platinumsoldier

CAGiversary!
Feedback
143 (99%)
Hey, I was wondering what are the cheapest ways people ship items out. I'm asking this since my parents just came back from the post office, with 6 items shipped out, and the total was $51.07. I had to ship one item to the UK and that already cost $31.40 by itself. So, what services/shipping methods are the cheapest? (Note: My parents shipped everything out with delivery confirmation and cheapest shipping method but $51.07 sounds a little high for just 6 items)

First Class Mail on anything under 13 ounces with delivery confirmation paid through Paypal. Bubble mailers bought on Ebay or on Amazon using credit. I bought 250 bubble mailers for $33.40 on Amazon using credit. I've seen 125 bubble mailers go for as cheap as $11.XX on Ebay, others ranged from $13-$18 for 125. 6''x10'' (referred to as #0) is the size you want.

[quote name='J7.']First Class Mail on anything under 13 ounces with delivery confirmation paid through Paypal. Bubble mailers bought on Ebay or on Amazon using credit. I bought 250 bubble mailers for $33.40 on Amazon using credit. I've seen 125 bubble mailers go for as cheap as $11.XX on Ebay, others ranged from $13-$18 for 125. 6''x10'' (referred to as #0) is the size you want.[/QUOTE]

Yup this. I mail a game out for about $2.09-$2.43 (depending on weight) first class with delivery confirmation with Paypal shipping. I bought 100 bubble mailers for $19 shipped on Amazon. Then you can just drop off in a mailbox anywhere, no need to stand in line at the post office.

For bigger or heavier stuff, buy boxes (not at the post office, they are way overpriced, try Wal Mart) that will fit your item and pack it up yourself. Don't use the flat rate boxes. Generally it's cheaper using your own box. I mailed 3 games out in a box priority mail and it was only $4.90 with delivery confirmation using paypal shipping. If you don't have a scale at home, just go weigh it at the post office, most have a self service kiosk you can use to mail stuff, but you can also just weigh stuff without waiting in a line. Then go home and buy the postage with Paypal. Delivery confirmation is free with priority mail or .19 with first class as opposed to .80 at the post office. If you are shipping a lot of stuff, just buy a scale. I got one for only $13 and it makes life so much easier.

My post office dislikes me weighing my items when I'm not shipping them out at the same time and I weight in line because they have no self service weighing. But recently I found a scale.

[quote name='platinumsoldier']Which company tends to be cheaper when shipping out items, UPS or FedEx? Thanks for all the advice everyone![/QUOTE]

Where I work, Fed Ex is usually cheapest method to ship. UPS is generally the most expensive.

[quote name='CaoPi']I believe there's already a thread on this using the paypal link to print your shipping label and all[/QUOTE]

^^^this^^^ Please read before posting.
This is an Excellent site with much info for those that just take time to read.

Op shipped 5 for $51 one of which was international for $31 so the others averaged to $5 and we have no idea of size, weight, etc... and just a few minutes on the usps site would have given insight to the international options...

I look forward to the Ops future CONTRIBUTIONS.

Guys, you honestly cannot expect a person to read through the entire board to find that thread. It is a sticky, but in the "other deals" forum. Searching for it would yield a ton of results, so that would be a pain, too.

How heavy was the package to the UK? You can ship first class international which would be much cheaper which won't have a tracking but is worth the amount you save, and the po probably automatically did priority on your parents because they like to push that on people or maybe convinced them to get insurance or sig confirmation. just say first class with delivery confirmation unless over 13 oz then you can usually get away with media mail if its packed in a box or shaped like a dvd.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Guys, you honestly cannot expect a person to read through the entire board to find that thread. It is a sticky, but in the "other deals" forum. Searching for it would yield a ton of results, so that would be a pain, too.[/QUOTE]

I just checked out that thread and it gives him the paypal info but it doesn't give him the other info we talked about here. Don't know why people are giving him such a hard time.

[quote name='darkslime']How heavy was the package to the UK? You can ship first class international which would be much cheaper which won't have a tracking but is worth the amount you save, and the po probably automatically did priority on your parents because they like to push that on people or maybe convinced them to get insurance or sig confirmation. just say first class with delivery confirmation unless over 13 oz then you can usually get away with media mail if its packed in a box or shaped like a dvd.[/QUOTE]

He sent 5 packages to the post office with his parents to ship. Did absolutely no research, was surprised by the total his parents told him about and posted here for others to do the research for him.

bread's done
Back