We had to import RPG Thread XII from Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, I feel like we're getting into the territory of "what makes an RPG an RPG?" and that question never has really had a solid answer. I think both Borderlands and Dead Island seem to have enough RPG in them to warrant talking about them in this thread if you want to.

Never play borderlands with ihadfg, he makes you do every single side quest when all you want to do is finish the game!

I also knew next to nothing about Dead Island, but all this talk about it sounds like a game I might like. I'll check it out.

[quote name='Rodimus']I also knew next to nothing about Dead Island, but all this talk about it sounds like a game I might like. I'll check it out.[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for the console version, but avoid the PC version for now. They fucked up and released a dev build version on Steam. However if the console version doesn't have the dev build bugs, it should be a fun sandbox zombie game with online co-op up to 4 people (you + 3 others).

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Well Imma be extensively "playing" the "role" of Marcus Fenix in a couple of weeks, so that makes it an RPG right? ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna go with yes. You did mention both words, so it must qualify.

I definitely consider Borderlands to be an RPG (crossed with an FPS). It falls into the same category as Fallout 3 and New Vegas, I think. Although, Fallout favors the RPG side over the FPS side while Borderlands is the opposite, I think they both can be considered a combination of RPG and FPS.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Well Imma be extensively "playing" the "role" of Marcus Fenix in a couple of weeks, so that makes it an RPG right? ;)[/QUOTE]

Do you meet chie in the game?

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Didn't the Wii Monster Hunter have fees in Japan and not in the US?[/QUOTE]
This is correct. I'd be surprised if this happened again with DQX though, as NoA has been pushing Dragon Quest pretty hard in NA these last few years. I think now we know why.

[quote name='distgfx']Do you meet chie in the game?[/QUOTE]

I can't wait to level up my social link with Dom enough to start dating him.

[quote name='distgfx']Never play borderlands with ihadfg, he makes you do every single side quest when all you want to do is finish the game![/QUOTE]

Me and him need to play together.

[quote name='ihadFG']I can't wait to level up my social link with Dom enough to start dating him.[/QUOTE]

Cole will show you why he's called the Cole Train if you level up your social link with both of them.

I finally made it down to the third stratum on Etrian Odyssey 3. Had to use most of my healing items to make it through the boss, but I guess that's what they're for.

I know no one is probably playing this, but. What are some subclass recomendations? I have a Hoplite, Monk, Arabalist, Prince, and Zodiac. I figure I should subclass Prince/Monk for extra healing. Zodiac/Wildling?

Also, is there a way to increase the number of items held beyond 60? I take a party of three farmers out for item gathering but they fill up the carry limit really quickly.

persona_4_golden_018.jpg

communist ranks!
damn those reds! take your stalinst theories and go home!

[quote name='eldergamer']I finally made it down to the third stratum on Etrian Odyssey 3. Had to use most of my healing items to make it through the boss, but I guess that's what they're for.

I know no one is probably playing this, but. What are some subclass recomendations? I have a Hoplite, Monk, Arabalist, Prince, and Zodiac. I figure I should subclass Prince/Monk for extra healing. Zodiac/Wildling?

Also, is there a way to increase the number of items held beyond 60? I take a party of three farmers out for item gathering but they fill up the carry limit really quickly.[/QUOTE]

I've been paying it. In the middle of the fourth stratum myself, but I'm on vacation and did not bring a DS along (though, I did bring the cart lol).

Typically, you'll want to remove the princess, and do monk/princess, for more efficient healing with princes skills. It's done for the extra TEC and the monk class skill to increase heading effectiveness.

For Hoplite, you generally sub Wildlong for Primal Drums (tried, but didn't like), or Ninja, for cloning, so you can line guard both lines. I went Ninja for the petrefy and leg bind skills.

My Arbalist is subbed Buccaneer, purely for Lady Luck and Swashbuckling, since most fights outside of bosses don't require skills. Most people would say to sub Gladiator for Charge, but I partially subbed Buccaneer to semi-support my Gladiator.

I don't ever use mages in Etrian Odyssey, so I have zero first hand knowledge about Zodiacs. I think Zodiac/Ninja is common, and maybe Zodiac/Arbalist, but if you have a Wildling or another Ninja, then it's pointless, since you'll only be able to summon one clone/beast, unless you have a party of 4, or fewer, but then you'll just make it more complicated.

My other two characters are Gladiator/Shogun, and Samurai/Buccaneer, in case you were wondering. So my party is basically a gimped Warrior's Might party, because I wanted an Arbalist (but has the benefit of WM chasing my Arbalist's attack all attacks).

In EO and EO2, you were stuck with the 60 item limit all game. I think it's the same in EO3. You can just deposit everything you want to keep in the bank, and sell the rest. My farmer party is 4x farmers with maxed Harvestry and Keen...Eye? The one that increases rare harvest items, and the fifth has Safe Stroll and Market. When I harvest, they carry only enough Amritas for the fifth farmer, so I can get 60 items per trip.

[quote name='ihadFG']There are SaGa fans?[/QUOTE]

Somewhere in the mystical land of Nihon, where rumors say that SaGa games continued to release there long after we stopped getting them.

[quote name='fwbweux']Somewhere in the mystical land of Nihon, where rumors say that SaGa games continued to release there long after we stopped getting them.[/QUOTE]

That sounds absolutely terrifying.

hello! nice to meet you!

SaGa 3 remake on DS was pretty good, though I got lazy and stopped before the last dungeon.

i walked through a portal 5 minutes after the tutorial and a boss one shotted me, now i have to do the entire bolterian palace in soul form?

okay.

[quote name='Jest']Yes yes yes! It's my two favourite things together! [/QUOTE]

Does this mean we'll finally play a game together again?

[quote name='panzerfaust']i walked through a portal 5 minutes after the tutorial and a boss one shotted me, now i have to do the entire bolterian palace in soul form?

okay.[/QUOTE]

That's going to happen... a alot. But it's usually easier in Soul form anyway

[quote name='Zmonkay']Day 1! This had better as fuck come stateside. Wonder if it'll almost play like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure with Personas acting as Stands (or worse, everyone will play like Carl from BB...)[/QUOTE]

People are saying the game gives them a Jojo vibe, I only saw one character in there that looked like he might play like Carl. I don't see why this wouldn't come stateside, even if it doesn't, you can always import.

I enjoyed Saga Frontier as well as the Final Fantasy Legends. Might gave Saga 2 fantranslation on DS a try since thats a remake of the original

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']That's going to happen... a alot. But it's usually easier in Soul form anyway[/QUOTE]

You should get the Cling Ring somewhere in 1-1 anyway, which allows you to have 3/4ths of your max HP in soul form instead of 1/2. I kept one attached for the entire game, I can't even imagine playing without it.

[quote name='distgfx']Does this mean we'll finally play a game together again?[/QUOTE]

Yeah It is going to be lovely.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Took down the first boss in Demon's Souls, taking a break for the night.

Most of my deaths have been from glitching off of staircases :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Now is when the game really gets going. In many ways, the first level is the hardest (for new players, at least). If you already beat 1-1 you are on your way.

[quote name='62t']I enjoyed Saga Frontier as well as the Final Fantasy Legends.[/QUOTE]

+1. Saga Frontier was one of my favorite rpgs on the PS1. Saga frontier 2 was good too but never really got the chance to get into it like I did the first one.

Wondering where my order for Disgaea 4 and Atelier are.

[quote name='StarKnightX']+1. Saga Frontier was one of my favorite rpgs on the PS1. Saga frontier 2 was good too but never really got the chance to get into it like I did the first one.

Wondering where my order for Disgaea 4 and Atelier are.[/QUOTE]

I have the same feelings about Saga Frontier. Loved the first one, but never really got into the second one. They were like completely different from each other. I probably beat the first one like 20 times.

Atelier Totori? That doesn't come out for 2 more weeks or so, and if you pre-ordered Totori and Disgaea 4 through NISA on the same order, they won't ship Disgaea 4 until Totori comes out.

People keep having that problem, but I don't understand how. I saw someone ask about it in the Disgaea 4 thread in the deals forum. On NISA's page for pre-orders there is always a large disclaimer saying that if you order things with a pre-order the order won't ship until everything on the order is available. People shouldn't be shocked when it doesn't ship.

[quote name='panzerfaust']2 more bosses down :cool:[/QUOTE]

You have way more patience than me. I died just before the first boss and never made it back to him.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I have the same feelings about Saga Frontier. Loved the first one, but never really got into the second one. They were like completely different from each other. I probably beat the first one like 20 times.

Atelier Totori? That doesn't come out for 2 more weeks or so, and if you pre-ordered Totori and Disgaea 4 through NISA on the same order, they won't ship Disgaea 4 until Totori comes out.

People keep having that problem, but I don't understand how. I saw someone ask about it in the Disgaea 4 thread in the deals forum. On NISA's page for pre-orders there is always a large disclaimer saying that if you order things with a pre-order the order won't ship until everything on the order is available. People shouldn't be shocked when it doesn't ship.[/QUOTE]

That's my bad then , I must've had my dates mixed up and thought they were releasing like back to back. Oh well , no big deal I can wait.

[quote name='Jest']You have way more patience than me. I died just before the first boss and never made it back to him.[/QUOTE]

Once you get to the first boss all you have to do to get back to him is run up the first walkway, though. In fact, almost all of the levels have some sort of shortcut mechanism once you get far enough into the level to trigger it.

God, I feel dumb. I've beaten Final Fantasy IV about oh... 23 times since launch in 1991, and I can't remember where to find that darn Rat Tail!!! Anyone remember where to get it so I can get the ore so I can get Cecil's best sword????

Nevermind.. Looked it up and it's in Feymarch, or the Land of Summoned Monsters in the original... Looks like I've got work to do....

iirc i think it's in the first floor of the town, you have to go downstairs then upstairs to get to the chest.

and we all know it's not his best sword. =)

[quote name='2DMention']God, I feel dumb. I've beaten Final Fantasy IV about oh... 23 times since launch in 1991, and I can't remember where to find that darn Rat Tail!!! Anyone remember where to get it so I can get the ore so I can get Cecil's best sword????

Nevermind.. Looked it up and it's in Feymarch, or the Land of Summoned Monsters in the original... Looks like I've got work to do....[/QUOTE]

is it on the hidden floor you reach by secret teleport?

I'd be interested in doing a Dark Souls run for the PS3 when I get it. Got frustrated with New Game+ in Demon Souls in the swamp area so I never actually finished it a second time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back