Web browsing suggestions.

Revenantae

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
Geocities is closing soon, and I got to thinking about how I use the web. A decade or so ago, the organization of Geocities, Yahoo, Tripod and related sites lent itself to actually BROWSING the web. You could click about without knowing exactly what you were looking for, and find all sorts of interesting things.

These days, search engines dominate the landscape. Sure, finding exactly what I want is easier than ever, but it seems harder to just browse and find new things. If I enter a vague search engine request, I get a mix of a few giant sites, interspersed with spam sites. I rarely find the small imaginative one-offs I used to be able to find by going "house to house" in a Geocities block.

How do you find new things, or interesting but not yet prime time sites? Suggestions welcome!

Stumbleupon pretty much covers that "browsing" front nowadays. Not as good as once was prior to the sale to Ebay, but still pretty solid. Digg has gone to crap and reddit is pretty much junk. A lot of the time I just use message boards/forums like CAG to find new stuff, because let's be honest, people are way better at finding random amusing items that algorithms so far.

I did like geocities and think while it may be a smart business move by Yahoo to shut it down, I can't imagine it cost them a lot to keep it up as they hardly maintained as it is (one reason why sites like myspace took over). I found some great info on geocities, such as one guy that had the Ninja Scroll script, which I couldn't find anywhere else on the web and which was a great boon for me in one of my film classes.

Here's the link if you're interested:

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Ginza/8034/index1.html

I hope that gets backed up to some place.

[quote name='JolietJake']Geocities closing will probably remove at least 10% of the worst sites on the web.[/QUOTE]

Seconded.

[quote name='Malik112099']Shit, is angelfire still kicking?[/QUOTE]

Apparently. I didn't think it was, but looked it up on google and there it was.

I know, I know. Removing geocities will eliminate 90% of the blink tags and "under construction" gifs that exist. There were, however, some good things there occasionally. I'm on Reddit and Digg, but I find Reddit to be way to into politics and self promotion, and Digg points to the same news stories again and again... and a year later again.

Definitely checked out stumbleupon, and it looks neat, but pretty limited. Any others?

Thanks for the suggestions you put up!

Go to Wikipedia, type in some topic, read about it, read a linked article...and then another....and then another...

I try to see how few degrees of separation it takes to get from one thing or another. "How can I link pancakes to Bing Crosby?" This is only required if I can't find something I want to read about, but that's hardly ever the case, so I generally don't need the goal/challenge.

I know, not quite what you wanted, but I thought I'd suggest it.

Seconded @ Strell. I don't "browse" the web anymore.. just don't have time for that. I connect to the web, go on my usual sites then log off. I wikipedia things once in a while.. and I don't feel back when I spend a couple hours just reading articles. Expanding my brain!

bread's done
Back