websites wont load after switching to WEP

homeland

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
I had been using WPA with no problem but, i wanted to be able to use the wifi on my DS. So i switched my router security to WEP128 and now very few websites will load. My router is a Linksy WRT54g. After the switch my 360 and Wii work fine as well as msn and yahoo messenger. Just switched back to WPA and everything is working again fine..But now curious wtf is wrong when I choose WEP.

any help would be appreciated..thanks in advance.

That makes no sense. What about another PC? Or 3rd party firmware on the router (which would be an improvement anyway). Or boot with UBCD for Windows and see what it does. Or a different browser. You really don't give much to go on and would probably get more help using Google searches or another forum anyway.

And there is also a way to have a cheap router piggyback on your main router and do WEP (no local network access, just internet) but still keep WPA for everything else. Honestly, if you are going to do all your computing on WEP, you might as well turn off encryption altogether.

I have very little experience with WEP... I've been using WPA2 for years now...

I guess it could be a strange incompatibility b/w the router and NIC causing strange behavior... as turls pointed out, do other computers show the same problem?

[quote name='turls']That makes no sense. What about another PC? Or 3rd party firmware on the router (which would be an improvement anyway). Or boot with UBCD for Windows and see what it does. Or a different browser. You really don't give much to go on and would probably get more help using Google searches or another forum anyway.

And there is also a way to have a cheap router piggyback on your main router and do WEP (no local network access, just internet) but still keep WPA for everything else. Honestly, if you are going to do all your computing on WEP, you might as well turn off encryption altogether.[/quote]

Same thing was happening on my wife's laptop.. The post I made was actually from my cell phone as I hadn't switched back to WPA yet. I and my wife normally use Firefox but I tried IE just in case and the same thing. I did a google search and hadn't found any info except that after the first page all the returns were on "how to crack WEP" so I get what you mean by turning it off. Since this is really the only forum I visit thought I'd give it a go. O'well online gaming with the DS isn't a priority, just thought it would be nice to have "just in case"..

Thanks for the responses.

WEP should not be used for a general purpose network (it is inherently flawed)... if you want to use your DS online, I'd recommend using 2 wireless access points: one that uses WPA2 for your main network and then an isolated WEP segment that you would use only for the DS to access the internet... make sure that the wireless channels are far away from e/o and turn on the WEP WAP (always wanted to write that...) only when you are using the DS...

bread's done
Back