Weezer no more?

Man I hate Weezer.

They are like every stereotype about white dudes, all rolled up into one band.

And their fans think that they're all alternative and edgy.

What a bunch of fucks.

[quote name='mykevermin']Significantly less important than Sleater-Kinney's imminent demise.[/QUOTE]

That sucks :(

Although besides One Beat I don't really like their newer stuff half as much as I like their older stuff like Dig Me Out and Call the Doctor.

It sounds like a break to me. And no, I don't think Weezer is edgy. Weezer is a fun band with some catchy songs. There stuff was better than a lot of the Korn-type whiny crap that was popular back in that era.

[quote name='jimbodan']That sucks :(

Although besides One Beat I don't really like their newer stuff half as much as I like their older stuff like Dig Me Out and Call the Doctor.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to their fifth-to-last show in a few weekends in Lousiville.

:mrgreen: and :cry: at the same time. At least they're going out before they put out any real shitty material.

In a recent Rolling Stone the band openly admitted that don't get along at all, and that think of the band as a "job"

I'll start by saying I don't like the new stuff as much as the old stuff... there I said it. I still like the last 3 CDs though - a lot. For those of you who weren't living the music scene in 1994 when the Blue Album came out have no idea the impact Weezer really had. The reason they sound so generic today is because just about every pop-rock band that has come out since is just copying Weezer's style.

[quote name='javeryh']I'll start by saying I don't like the new stuff as much as the old stuff... there I said it. I still like the last 3 CDs though - a lot. For those of you who weren't living the music scene in 1994 when the Blue Album came out have no idea the impact Weezer really had. The reason they sound so generic today is because just about every pop-rock band that has come out since is just copying Weezer's style.[/QUOTE]

That fact that I agree with you 100% just shows how old and out of touch we are.

EDIT: I forgot to add.... GET OFF MY LAWN PUNK KIDS!!!

[quote name='Wombat']That fact that I agree with you 100% just shows how old and out of touch we are.

EDIT: I forgot to add.... GET OFF MY LAWN PUNK KIDS!!![/quote]

I don't think so, i'm only 25 just turned and I was a big Weezer fan and still am.

[quote name='Wombat']In a recent Rolling Stone the band openly admitted that don't get along at all, and that think of the band as a "job"[/quote]
Noooooooooo...... Say it aint soooooowhoawhoooa!

Seriously, though... after a platinum record... its a job. Just go to fucking work like the rest of us you pussies.

I think it's pretty amazing that they have lasted as long as they have. Rivers is a pretty odd duck, and he seems like he would be pretty hard to remain close and work with for 10+ years.

Weezer was my favorite band for the longest time, but they started to lose me with Maladroit. I'm not sure if it's age or what not, but I just wasn't connecting with them the way I did when I first heard the blue album. Pinkerton was good, but man, nothing beats blue. Classic from beginning to end.

Maybe it's just as well that they call it quits. At least The Rentals are coming back. Matt Sharp is fantastic, and the first Rentals disc is pretty killer.

Here's to you, Blue album. Thanks for bringing the rawk. I'll pour out a cold Colt 45 for my =w= homies.

[quote name='riggy469']Maybe it's just as well that they call it quits. At least The Rentals are coming back. Matt Sharp is fantastic, and the first Rentals disc is pretty killer.[/QUOTE]

The Rentals are coming back? That's awesome! I love their first album.

[quote name='javeryh']For those of you who weren't living the music scene in 1994 when the Blue Album came out have no idea the impact Weezer really had. The reason they sound so generic today is because just about every pop-rock band that has come out since is just copying Weezer's style.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you more. I do like some of the new stuff though... I think "This Is Such A Pity" is a great song. Kind of like a new 80's sound, if that makes any sense. And "Beverly Hills" isn't that bad either.

[quote name='TurkeyOnRye']And "Beverly Hills" isn't that bad either.[/QUOTE]

That song reminds me. If they weren't gonna break up on their own, that song made me wanna pull a John Hinckley on them.

Aerosmith could learn a lesson or twelve from Weezer.

[quote name='javeryh']I'll start by saying I don't like the new stuff as much as the old stuff... there I said it. I still like the last 3 CDs though - a lot. For those of you who weren't living the music scene in 1994 when the Blue Album came out have no idea the impact Weezer really had. The reason they sound so generic today is because just about every pop-rock band that has come out since is just copying Weezer's style.[/QUOTE]
Even so, I don't think that anyone could say that Beverly Hills sounds even remotely like it'd fit into The Blue Album.

Or what about We Are All On Drugs? That's a song that's made up almost entirely of sentence fragments.

Even if it's cliche to complain about new Weezer, Make Believe was an album that just plain sucked.

[quote name='Wombat']That fact that I agree with you 100% just shows how old and out of touch we are.

EDIT: I forgot to add.... GET OFF MY LAWN PUNK KIDS!!![/QUOTE]

I guess I'm old and out of touch as well!

I'm not denying they had impact, but all Rivers really did was take all the strange parts out of Pavement's "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain," make all the lyrics about Japanese girls and had Geffen put out a casting call for nerdy looking backup musicians.

Along with Green Day, it just happened to be the right band at the right time. Something to take the aftershock away from Cobain's shotgun blast. People were sick of drug named songs and depression and these guys were the complete opposite.

But they also inadventendly popularized Emo, and for that they must pay.

I hated Beverly Hills. I love Weezer, though.

"I'm not convinced that we have a greatest-hits album that is worth putting out at this point," he added.

WHAT? Is he serious? The whole blue album is amazing (one of the best i've ever heard, actually), then other songs like Why Bother, El Scorcho (~!), Don't Let Go, Hash Pipe, Photograph, We Are All On Drugs, and many, many more. I'm pissed at the news, but it's probably for the better. The concert I went to back in '02 was an amazing concert (and god bless the bootlegger who recorded it so I can recall the night).

[quote name='jalu6']Along with Green Day, it just happened to be the right band at the right time. Something to take the aftershock away from Cobain's shotgun blast. People were sick of drug named songs and depression and these guys were the complete opposite.
[/QUOTE]

Seconded.

The first Weezer album is the one that almost everyone had but would never ADMIT to having. And if you heard that album and you say you don't like it, you're a liar. For all the heavy stuff I listen/listened to and preferred, that album was awesome. Oh, and to the guy on page 1, Korn was awesome back then too....and was certainly no more "whiny" that Weezer was. You think a lot of bands copied off Weezer? EVERY nu-metal band ripped off Korn until System of a Down did a few innovative things here and there.

Everything after that first Weezer album was questionable, but to say they didn't have enough material to slop together a greatest hits album is insane. If the Ramones can put out half a dozen greatest hits albums when half their songs sound the same, Weezer can do at least one.

Hell yeah...the Rentals are going on tour with Ozma (probably my favorite band). If you haven't heard of Ozma and you remotely like Weezer, check them out. Anyway, I can't think of many current-gen alternative artists/people that I hate more than Rivers.

[quote name='riggy469']At least The Rentals are coming back. Matt Sharp is fantastic, and the first Rentals disc is pretty killer.[/QUOTE]

The Rentals is the best thing to come from Weezer imo. Not that Weezer was bad, they were always good - but I'm just rarely compelled to listen to them. If they come on the radio, I probably won't change it tho.

But man, The Rentals rock. Hell, even their second album is good - especially songs like "She Said It's Alright", "Barcelona" and "My Head Is In The Sun." I'm really looking forward to their new stuff.

I'd rate their albums as such:

1.) Blue Album (Weezer)
2.) Green Album
3.) Pinkerton
4.) Maladroit
5.) Make Believe

I don't think any of their discography is necessarily bad, but I don't think they've been able to top the Blue or Green album, which I regard as their greatest. When those came out, I couldn't stop spinning them for years.

The Blue Album was the very first record I listened to -- it had a great impact on me.

[quote name='mykevermin']Significantly less important than Sleater-Kinney's imminent demise.[/quote]
Oh god. The day they break up should be a national holiday. Crap crap crap!

(about weezer), good riddance. I'll chime in to say they've been crap since the blue album.

Oh.... they will be back. It may be a 5 year break (like between Pinkerton and Green) but they will be back. Mtv seems to over-sensationalize things to get attention. I think Rivers is more concerned right now with being fresh out of school and being married. Things will change, they always do, and Weezer will return.

That being said, I love every album they have and have seen the band in concert 5 times. Rivers is a god. You haters can go to hell.

Too bad.

These guys were tits in concert. Some of the best shows I went to were Weezer shows. I last saw them at Red Rocks...fitting finale. My friend and I were the oldest dudes there...

Geezers for Weezer.

[quote name='jalu6']I'm not denying they had impact, but all Rivers really did was take all the strange parts out of Pavement's "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain," make all the lyrics about Japanese girls and had Geffen put out a casting call for nerdy looking backup musicians.

Along with Green Day, it just happened to be the right band at the right time. Something to take the aftershock away from Cobain's shotgun blast. People were sick of drug named songs and depression and these guys were the complete opposite.

But they also inadventendly popularized Emo, and for that they must pay.[/QUOTE]
Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (also one of my favorite albums) only preceded the Blue album by three months. Neither had anything to do with the other. And they don't really share a sound, anyway. "Cut Your Hair" is Weezer-ish but then "Cut Your Hair" isn't typical Pavement.

Man... Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, Cobain blows his head off, Blue. That was one hell of a spring.

bread's done
Back