Weird Atlus Email... Shin Megami Tensei teaser?

thesimplicity

CAGiversary!
I got this email from Atlus... subject: ???, body...

untitled_b.jpg

Please discuss, because I am very confused.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Apparently thats the Jack Frost from Devil Summoner.[/quote]
I thought Jack Frost always had a sort of jester's cap on? Is the one from Devil Summoner different? Because the shadow in the image appears to be wearing a newsboy cap or something.

Probably, I know Japan got a Jackfrost doll dressed as Raidou Kuzunoha as a pre-order bonus(I think it was a pre-order bonus) for the new Devil Summoner. I wonder if this means we can expect the same over here...

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Wouldnt they have to renew the agreement with Capcom to use Dante? As in, not happening?[/quote]
I think they replaced Dante with Raidou from Devil Summoner.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I think they replaced Dante with Raidou from Devil Summoner.[/quote]
Yeah, you're spot on. Nocturne Maniax Chronicle Edition doesn't feature Dante at all.

Considering how there's already a US translation for Nocturne, it shouldn't require much effort to bring the Chronicle Edition to the US as well.

I don't think that's for an SMT game and I'm not sure where you guys get that from.

(would be awesome if it came with the new Nocturne revision like it did in Japan.)

[quote name='ninja dog']I don't think that's for an SMT game and I'm not sure where you guys get that from.
[/quote]
probably 'cause of Atlus USA tacking SMT on any spin-off.

[quote name='sundaysuit']probably 'cause of Atlus USA tacking SMT on any spin-off.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I just don't see it. This hint is way too vague to be meaningful.

[quote name='ninja dog']Nah, I just don't see it. This hint is way too vague to be meaningful.[/quote]
I'm starting to wonder if the projected shadow on that weird symbol means they're going to announce DRAGON SHADOW SPELL for the US. Because it's a shadow and the game has the word shadow in it's name! I should probably send this hypothesis as a tip to Kotaku and Joystiq...

:whee:

[quote name='thesimplicity']I'm starting to wonder if the projected shadow on that weird symbol means they're going to announce DRAGON SHADOW SPELL for the US. Because it's a shadow and the game has the word shadow in it's name! I should probably send this hypothesis as a tip to Kotaku and Joystiq...

:whee:[/quote]
But thats... not even and SMT game. We see the shadow projected onto the Shin Megami Tensei logo. And the shadow looks almost exactly like the Jackfrost/Raidou doll that Japan got as a preorder bonus.

Exactly, I don't see how that is vague at all. It is so blatantly obvious that it is going to be Devil Summoner 2 that they might as well not have bothered dropping a clue like that.

Even if you didn't recognise the silhouette, the SMT logo gives it away. Do you know any other Shin Megami games in the pipeline right now?
Unless it was a brand new Atlus USA developed title, it's gotta be something that's already been released in Japan and Atlus USA is hinting at its localization here.

Which leaves us with just Devil Summoner 2.

Like some have said though, the only question is whether we'll get the Maniacs Chronicle edition of Nocturne, and I think there's a good chance we will, considering it's just a few changes to the dialogue (replacing Dante's lines with Raidou's).
Though I do wonder if Atlus USA will release it as a separate game instead..

[quote name='kazunori']Even if you didn't recognise the silhouette, the SMT logo gives it away. Do you know any other Shin Megami games in the pipeline right now?[/quote]
Actually, there's Devil Survivor for the DS too. But yeah, this email is about Devil Summoner 2.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']With that pre-order bonus, I'll certainly buy it.[/QUOTE]

it is not a pre order bonus, every copy will have it

[quote name='62t']so Atlus is going to sell a game base on it being a collectible instead of it being a quality game.[/quote]
I think that ship sailed with Eternal Poison, if not earlier. Atlus marketed that game purely on its artwork and collector appeal, the actual gameplay was an afterthought. Not that there's anything wrong with that-- if that's what pleases their audience, there's no reason they shouldn't do it. I personally bought Poison primarily for the artwork and collector appeal, knowing that the actual game had been described as pedestrian at best and seriously flawed at worst. Likewise if people buy this because they like collecting the SMT series or want the plushie, and are willing to forgive lacking gameplay, who does it hurt.

[quote name='62t']so Atlus is going to sell a game base on it being a collectible instead of it being a quality game.[/quote]
It makes no difference to the people who would buy it ion the first place. You'll have the people who are going to buy it and play it and the people who'll buy it and keep it in the original package(and might sell it off when the price is right).

I loved the atmosphere and plot of the first game, but gave up due to the uninspired battle system. That said, I'll preorder this one as soon as Amazon pops it up as I'd like to see if anything has been fixed. The fact that it's a limited run and comes with the plushie simply means that if I don't like it, I'll be able to make my money back.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']not you. 62t.[/QUOTE]

And how the hell am I trolling? I am just stating that Atlus is marketing the game as "limited" collectible. Atlus could easily advertise the improvement made from the first game. For people that didn't like the first game it would be a much better selling point. I did not say anything negative about the game itself, just the way Atlus present it.

[quote name='62t']And how the hell am I trolling? I am just stating that Atlus is marketing the game as "limited" collectible. Atlus could easily advertise the improvement made from the first game. For people that didn't like the first game it would be a much better selling point. I did not say anything negative about the game itself, just the way Atlus present it.[/QUOTE]

Look, this game is supposed to be vastly improved compared to the first one. At least do some research before you post trolling shit.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Look, this game is supposed to be vastly improved compared to the first one. At least do some research before you post trolling shit.[/QUOTE]

Errr...I think that's what he's saying. He's disappointed that Atlus is choosing to market the game as "Super awesome limited edition" instead of focusing on the improvements this game has over the first one. I can't really disagree with him, but really I don't much care as long as I get mine. (So I guess the "Super awesome limited edition" marketing works.) Especially since the posting on the Atlus forums makes note of the fact that the plush will come with every first pressing of the game, then mentions it will be super limited and also implies that a second printing isn't a sure thing. Thus making the game super limited as well.

bread's done
Back