Weird eBay issue

Blank Earth

CAGiversary!
Feedback
156 (100%)
Back in mid-February, I sold an iPhone over eBay. I required instant payment, so I got the money and shipped the phone.

Flash forward to today. I get a notice in my mailbox about a package waiting for me. I don't remember ordering anything, so I enter the DC# to see where it came from. It's for the iPhone I sold. The status update says it was out for delivery a few days after I sent it, then, almost two months later, the status changed to "unclaimed," and it started its way back to me. I never got feedback or heard anything from the buyer.

The package will be available for pickup tomorrow morning, but after I get it...what do I do?

Sounds like he/she never picked up their package from the post office and it got shipped back to you.

When's the last time you heard anything from the buyer? If you havent heard anything, I say "their lose, your gain." That's just my personal opinion though.

It is quite possible that they died or are in the hospital or something crazy happened. I would hold on to it for awhile, and if you don't hear anything, just sell it again.

Here's a little bit more info. He appears to be a business, user name was something about best cell sales. He has a couple items for sale right now, so he appears to be among the living. Haven't heard a word from him since the sale.

Not sure if it's better to contact him first or to contact eBay. I don't know if eBay can force me to refund him or something, but the money is long gone now. I don't want to pay to ship it again either.

If he forgot about it, and it's after 40 days (I think that's the time limit to file a complaint), there's nothing that can be done except resell it for even more money. :)

Unless you have a conscience, then I'd say message the buyer and have him pay to ship it again (since it's his fault he didn't get it from the PO.)

Yeah, looks like 45 days is the limit for a buyer to file a claim. So I guess I don't have any further responsibility legally, but...

What would CAG do? Tell him to send me more money to ship it again or let it go?

[quote name='Blank Earth']Yeah, looks like 45 days is the limit for a buyer to file a claim. So I guess I don't have any further responsibility legally, but...

What would CAG do? Tell him to send me more money to ship it again or let it go?[/QUOTE]

It's his problem, not yours. He had adequate time to try and contact you about it and pick it up, but didnt.

Are you absolutely sure that you have his money and that there were no charge backs? If so, the honest thing would be to contact the seller, ask if he still wants the iPhone that he purchased and if so, ask for more $ to ship with Delivery Confirmation and Insurance. But remember, no good deed goes unpunished!

45 days is the length of time he can dispute the claim on paypal. Some credit cards give you anywhere up to a year to file a dispute and if at any point in time he decides to do that and you no longer have the tracking number your sol.

[quote name='cheapfrag']Are you absolutely sure that you have his money and that there were no charge backs? If so, the honest thing would be to contact the seller, ask if he still wants the iPhone that he purchased and if so, ask for more $ to ship with Delivery Confirmation and Insurance. But remember, no good deed goes unpunished![/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. My first instinct would be to contact the buyer, but, like cheapfrag said, no good deed goes unpunished. I would probably just hold on to it for another month or so to see if the buyer realizes it's missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO,

Resell it, and if they file a claim within a reasonable time (90 days from purchase), refund them what they paid MINUS the ebay fees for the new sale and any other costs you incurred, plus a 15% "restocking fee" for your extra time spent on it...

I don't think anyone could argue that isn't fair.... but i'm sure there are some who would try...

That is the answer to the question What Would Iggy Do? (not that you asked, or care)

bread's done
Back