Welcome back program ending?

[quote name='dyne22']I got inFamous and Dead Nation, but I was going to activate PS+ on July 3rd. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person puzzled about the missing welcome back option in the store.

First of all, the free content wasn't exactly A+ material, so I'm not terribly upset about missing out (although Dead Nation is a blast). Yes yes, I understand the early bird gets the worm and don't procrastinate analogies, but that doesn't apply here. The free content wasn't in limited quantities; every single psn member could have downloaded 4 free games and subscribed to a free 30-day trial, regardless of when he chose to.
If Sony had CLEARLY stated that the offer ended at a specific time, no one would be complaining right now about the deadline. Sony offered it for 30 days... yes people had (ample?) time, but why can't Sony extend it for a couple of more hours or better yet, till 11:59 p.m. July 3rd? Seems like an easy fix.

Seriously, what is the difference between downloading your game on Day 1 and Day 30? Do you receive a better game? Is the first second any more important than the last?[/QUOTE]
Wrong!Every single PSN member with access to a PS3 or PSP could download the free games.All Media Go(PC) users are sol because the site you use to change your password is under maintenance and has been for months.

So there are Media Go(PC) users w/o a ps3 or psp?
I don't know too much about psn members that are only media go users... they are in a completely different boat.

[quote name='praxus07']Why should a foreign company follow the US's schedule? They're not US based, so they follow their own countries schedule. That makes complete sense.[/QUOTE]

But this was posted on US.playstation.com by an American who works for SCEA(merica)

What don't you get about this?

If they were set on using Japan time, the announcement should have read like this:

Q: How long do I have to get into the PlayStation Store and receive my content for Welcome Back?
A: Access to the Welcome Back content will be expiring on July 3 11:59pm(JST). Once this date has passed, the Welcome Back section in the PlayStation Store will be removed.

[quote name='dyne22']I got inFamous and Dead Nation, but I was going to activate PS+ on July 3rd. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person puzzled about the missing welcome back option in the store.

First of all, the free content wasn't exactly A+ material, so I'm not terribly upset about missing out (although Dead Nation is a blast). Yes yes, I understand the early bird gets the worm and don't procrastinate analogies, but that doesn't apply here. The free content wasn't in limited quantities; every single psn member could have downloaded 4 free games and subscribed to a free 30-day trial, regardless of when he chose to.
If Sony had CLEARLY stated that the offer ended at a specific time, no one would be complaining right now about the deadline. Sony offered it for 30 days... yes people had (ample?) time, but why can't Sony extend it for a couple of more hours or better yet, till 11:59 p.m. July 3rd? Seems like an easy fix.

Seriously, what is the difference between downloading your game on Day 1 and Day 30? Do you receive a better game? Is the first second any more important than the last?[/QUOTE]

I think some people were trying to redeem PS+ on the very last day so they could get the first tuesday update in August.

[quote name='Pounce!']It's Back Up. 11:25PM PST. Who knows how long?[/QUOTE]

That's hilarious. I guess enough people complained. The customer is always right?

I love how a majority of the people bitching about missing the 30 day window were probably people who wouldn't have been using their PS3s during the PSN outage anyway.

Or people got burned trying to take advantage of Plus. You could've gotten $100+ worth of content for free. It wasn't good enough for you.

[quote name='sunghost']I think some people were trying to redeem PS+ on the very last day so they could get the first tuesday update in August.[/QUOTE]I assume that's why it was pulled early, to prevent that last publish.

[quote name='sunghost']That's hilarious. I guess enough people complained. The customer is always right?[/QUOTE]

The customer isn't always right but if enough of them are complaining you damn sure better let them think they are. :lol:

Jeff Rubenstein's Tweet states:
"The Welcome Back program has been extended until 9am Pacific on Tuesday July 5th "

[quote name='TimPV3']I love how a majority of the people bitching about missing the 30 day window were probably people who wouldn't have been using their PS3s during the PSN outage anyway.

Or people got burned trying to take advantage of Plus. You could've gotten $100+ worth of content for free. It wasn't good enough for you.
[/QUOTE]

and why is that a problem? I personally didn't feel safe using my PS3 untill they sorted the shit out and had it SECURE. I think that was justified consideringt how often it went back up and down

anyway as mentioned they have extended it to the 5th

guess a lot of people were (rightfully) pissed off

BTW ive never d.loaded a PSP game.. how do i do that? Do i just d.load it on my PS3 then transfer it over with the usb cord? I cant connect the PSP directly to the network since it doesn't do WPA2

[quote name='Kenshindono']and why is that a problem? I personally didn't feel safe using my PS3 untill they sorted the shit out and had it SECURE. I think that was justified consideringt how often it went back up and down

BTW ive never d.loaded a PSP game.. how do i do that? Do i just d.load it on my PS3 then transfer it over with the usb cord? I cant connect the PSP directly to the network since it doesn't do WPA2[/QUOTE]

You can either download it to your ps3 first then transfer it to your PSP, or download it directly to your PSP. You can also download it to your PC and transfer it to your PSP using Media Go or Qriocity

[quote name='sunghost']You can either download it to your ps3 first then transfer it to your PSP, or download it directly to your PSP. You can also download it to your PC and transfer it to your PSP using Media Go or Qriocity[/QUOTE]

hmm tnx. Im d.loading and installing dead nation right now just to be safe since thats what i REALLY want. I dont particularly have another PS3 game i want.. maybe i'll just get infamous so i can play it without a disk (never finished it, and my lens readers not working) Or maybe check out that HD shooter game. I'll go ahead and do the PS3/transfer thing. I do have media go, but PS3 way sounds easier

I wonder how linking it works since the psp doesn't really have a username/account

Not sure if this is "as intended", but on both my US accounts, in the Welcome Back section, the icon for the Free PS+ Month reappeared, and after clicking it my account has been extended till August 4th on both.

Nothing showing up for the UK account though. I mean the Welcome Back links are still there in the store, but nothing happens when I clicky them.

[quote name='praxus07']Not sure if this is "as intended", but on both my US accounts, in the Welcome Back section, the icon for the Free PS+ Month reappeared, and after clicking it my account has been extended till August 4th on both.

Nothing showing up for the UK account though. I mean the Welcome Back links are still there in the store, but nothing happens when I clicky them.[/QUOTE]
Ya lucky bastard.:bomb: I just turned my PS3 back on to double check this myself and there was no icon for a free PS+ month that re-appeared for me.:cry:

[quote name='praxus07']Not sure if this is "as intended", but on both my US accounts, in the Welcome Back section, the icon for the Free PS+ Month reappeared, and after clicking it my account has been extended till August 4th on both.

Nothing showing up for the UK account though. I mean the Welcome Back links are still there in the store, but nothing happens when I clicky them.[/QUOTE]

Not showing up for me, and my UK account isn't showing the Welcome Back link either. I didn't think about getting the PSN+ for my UK account. Was there any reason to?

ah holy crap i didn't even think about that, i can probably get stuff from the UK account, cant i? Dont care bout the PS+ but some games would be sweet

i'll have to log in and check

*edit* Hmm.. looks like the UK account doesn't get an extension? I tried logging into that account and saw no welcome back message. Ah well, woulda been neat to get some stuff there too, i think they had different games

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea why I'd be showing the icon and not you guys. I checked both email accounts related to the PSN accounts and I'd gotten emails saying I had bought a month of PS+ for $0.00, and that the renew date is August 4th. The email also says....

"[Subscription Service]
The subscription you have purchased will continue until cancelled. Your wallet will be charged the above purchase price ($0.00) automatically on the next renewal date stated above and subsequent renewal dates unless you cancel the subscription. Upon cancellation, you will not receive any refunds or credits, but the purchasing account will be able to enjoy the content for which you have paid. Please refer to the PlayStation(R)Network Terms of Service and User Agreement for details."

Wonder if that means I'll be getting this autorenewed for free each month?!? (Very Doubtful, but since we were all hyper about Sony's wording earlier, found this interesting)

Only reason I checked was to see if I had missed anything, and there they were. Both vanished again after clicking and checking out.

Also....I think the UK games only had Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty as the different one.

question praxus, did you already redeem some of your UK stuff before? I hadn't before the extension.. maybe thats the difference? I think its weird that they would extend the US one but not the UK one honestly. Im asking about the games, not the PS+ thing. Actually quest for booty would be awesome, i love ratchet and clank

as far as the renewal question you mentioned goes, i belive they stated that its a non renewing month specifically. Or it would screw a LOT of people over.

My friend had no clue about this until I was over his place Sunday morning getting ready for the holiday. Told him basically what every one else had said "yeah it ends Today so you better hurry." Wasn't up when we got to check an hour later. :(

[quote name='Viche']Again there are a million reasons why someone might have waited until the last day, and that would have been COMPLETELY IN THEIR RIGHT TO DO SO. Only Sony F'd up here.[/QUOTE]
In all likelihood it would have been well within Sony's rights to end the program at any time of their choosing. If that were the case (which I'm sure it is), it would have been completely in their right to do so, just like it was completely within the rights of the end user to try and wait until the last possible moment and risk missing out on their opportunities.

To those who were complaining about the welcome back program....

facepalm.jpg

[quote name='Kenshindono']and why is that a problem? I personally didn't feel safe using my PS3 untill they sorted the shit out and had it SECURE. I think that was justified consideringt how often it went back up and down

BTW ive never d.loaded a PSP game.. how do i do that? Do i just d.load it on my PS3 then transfer it over with the usb cord? I cant connect the PSP directly to the network since it doesn't do WPA2[/QUOTE]

It's not really justified though, because even if it weren't secure the entire time you weren't using it there was no change in (your own) personal info that would have occurred between you logging in day 1 vs day 30 (so it all would have been the same as when PSN was breached originally) and all your info would have been just as available to steal whether you logged back in on day 1 or not. It's not like you're creating an account from scratch, if you were, then maybe it'd be justified. But if anything, you would have been better served to log in early to be sure you changed you password before someone else did so. I'm assuming since you're so worried about security that you would have thought your own account info (login and password) had been compromised in the breach anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Pounce!']Jeff Rubenstein's Tweet states:
"The Welcome Back program has been extended until 9am Pacific on Tuesday July 5th "[/QUOTE]

Was prepared to answer each of the lame arguments against us expecting Sony to fulfill their clear promise, but I see Sony has already heard and replied. That's all that matters. I was tempted to wait until the end of this new extension JUST BECAUSE I HAVE A RIGHT TO, but I was in the store and it was CONVENIENT TO MY SCHEDULE to do it now.

"Huh..huh....they're a Japanese company...huh...so we should assume it's on Japanese time...":lol:

At least they put a time and time zone on the deadline this time. I love these people who say, "why didn't you just do it right away?" If everyone did it right away, the servers would grind to a hault. In fact, there were tons of complaints about technical issues early on. You early go-getters NEED us late folks to be late. We allow you to live your little, anal, "ME FIRST" lives. DON'T COMPLAIN that we wait until you are done stuffin your little piggy faces. If we didn't let you hog up first, you'd be tearing your hair out because of the crowds rushing to get the first scraps with you. :)

[quote name='Viche']At least they put a time and time zone on the deadline this time. I love these people who say, "why didn't you just do it right away?" If everyone did it right away, the servers would grind to a hault. In fact, there were tons of complaints about technical issues early on. You early go-getters NEED us late folks to be late. We allow you to live your little, anal, "ME FIRST" lives. DON'T COMPLAIN that we wait until you are done stuffin your little piggy faces. If we didn't let you hog up first, you'd be tearing your hair out because of the crowds rushing to get the first scraps with you. :)[/QUOTE]

the first week there was some server bog down but after that, your argument becomes invalid.

i cant wait till someone misses the extension and pisses and moans about it here.

I downloaded LBP as soon as the program went live and it was blazing fast.

And people had tons of time to do this, so there's no excuses. I guess it just depends on the type of personality you have. Some people wait till April 15th to do their taxes, which boggles my mind.

[quote name='Kenshindono']question praxus, did you already redeem some of your UK stuff before? I hadn't before the extension.. maybe thats the difference? I think its weird that they would extend the US one but not the UK one honestly. Im asking about the games, not the PS+ thing. Actually quest for booty would be awesome, i love ratchet and clank

as far as the renewal question you mentioned goes, i belive they stated that its a non renewing month specifically. Or it would screw a LOT of people over.[/QUOTE]

I had redeemed the UK games already, so maybe. I switched back to the UK account before heading to bed and it wasn't showing the UK welcome back stuff anymore, so my seeing it may have been the tail end of them removing it?

Still no idea why I got the free ps+ icons again though......

To praxus07 and others, I think I know what's happening...

For those of you who redeemed your free 30 days of PS+ on day 1 when the Welcome Back program went live (June 3rd), the offer should have re-appeared in the Store now and you can potentially nab an extra 30 days of PS+ service. The program extension until July 5th meant that the 30-day PS+ offer relapsed in the Store page since it was supposed to stay disappeared by now. 30 days of the promotion passed and the Welcome Back section is still alive, so the offer came back.

I redeemed my PS+ on July 2nd fearing that it would disappear early (which it did, albeit temporarily), so no additional 30 days for me.

EDIT: Saw a growing thread in the Video Game Deals section on this very issue: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298586

[quote name='8bitArtist']the first week there was some server bog down but after that, your argument becomes invalid.

i cant wait till someone misses the extension and pisses and moans about it here.[/QUOTE]

There doesn't need to be an argument for waiting, that's why they call it a promotional PERIOD. Are you one of those guys that gets to work early and then snarks everyone who comes in after you, only to be the first one to leave for the day. Watching that clock tick down...""GET OUTTA MY WAY, WORKS OVER, I GOTTA GO!! You people are VERY annoying for a number of reasons.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Some people wait till April 15th to do their taxes, which boggles my mind.[/QUOTE]
Because if they OWE the gov't they wanna wait as long as possible before having to give them more of their hard earned money? If I were employed I'd wait too cuz I don't wanna give them more money to squander by paying some contractors who buy shit for them $500 each for plastic toilet seats.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Because if they OWE the gov't they wanna wait as long as possible before having to give them more of their hard earned money? If I were employed I'd wait too cuz I don't wanna give them more money to squander by paying some contractors who buy shit for them $500 each for plastic toilet seats.[/QUOTE]

One time or another you still have to pay it don't you, what the hell difference would it make? Wow you're really showing Big Brother by waiting till the last second to pay them the same money you'd pay them earlier. Way to stand up to the man!

You seem like the type that's living off the government rather than contributing a cent anyway

[quote name='ssjmichael']One time or another you still have to pay it don't you, what the hell difference would it make? Wow you're really showing Big Brother by waiting till the last second to pay them the same money you'd pay them earlier. Way to stand up to the man!

You seem like the type that's living off the government rather than contributing a cent anyway[/QUOTE]
:lol: How'd I know that's where this would go? 'OMG you're living off the gov't'. Now what exactly does that mean to you? Welfare? No. I don't think so.

But if I could get unemployment benefits, you better believe I'd be taking back the money I paid into that program.

However, people wait till April 15th to pay their taxes for a number of reasons. What difference does it really make whether it's people like me that don't wanna give these buffoons in office more of our money to play with for causes we don't believe in or people just wanna keep their money for as long as they possibly can?

Once you see what they squander the money on it just aggravates you to no end and makes you NOT want to give them anymore money.

And yes, I know I could always 'vote these idiots out', but those idiots are always replaced with more fuckin' idiots so it's a neverending cycle.:roll:

[quote name='Viche']There doesn't need to be an argument for waiting, that's why they call it a promotional PERIOD. Are you one of those guys that gets to work early and then snarks everyone who comes in after you, only to be the first one to leave for the day. Watching that clock tick down...""GET OUTTA MY WAY, WORKS OVER, I GOTTA GO!! You people are VERY annoying for a number of reasons.[/QUOTE]

i didnt download any of the free games cuz i played them all already. "you people" are very annoying when the only reason you even tried to redeem the stuff was you heard it was the last day. the excuse you made was because the servers would be bogged down if everyone tried at once, but after the 1st week, it was a non issue. so that left you 20 days of no hassle downloading.

i guarantee when it expires on the 5th people that didnt redeem their shit will STILL BITCH cuz they were busy on the 4th, blah blah blah blah.

you come off as quite the douche bag in your previous post: [quote name='Viche']We allow you to live your little, anal, "ME FIRST" lives. DON'T COMPLAIN that we wait until you are done stuffin your little piggy faces. If we didn't let you hog up first, you'd be tearing your hair out because of the crowds rushing to get the first scraps with you.
icon_smile.gif
[/QUOTE]

is there any free movies to download during the welcome back program? i cant seem to find it. i remember reading somethign about it.

[quote name='trunks982']is there any free movies to download during the welcome back program? i cant seem to find it. i remember reading somethign about it.[/QUOTE]

There were some free movie rentals that lasted for the first weekend that the offer took place, yeah. It's expired since then. Most of the movies were crappy, except for Ghostbusters, but I'm sure most people have seen that..

:lol: @ douchebags calling other douchebags douchebags

You didn't exactly come off as too nice yourself there, 8bit. So pot meet kettle.

People get busy in their lives and other shit comes up that's more important than remembering to download some free shit. So people try and download this stuff when they get the time. Moreover, ot everybody likes to let their system sit there and download shit on it's own while they go off and do other stuff. I'm one of those people.

I can't even tell you the number of times I came back to find that X or Y file 'failed to download' after I left the PC/system to do so on it's own. People only have limited time nowadays and spending so much of it waiting for shit to download just doesn't make sense to many.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol: How'd I know that's where this would go? 'OMG you're living off the gov't'. Now what exactly does that mean to you? Welfare? No. I don't think so.

But if I could get unemployment benefits, you better believe I'd be taking back the money I paid into that program.
[/QUOTE]

Unless you own a business that employs other people, you didn't pay jack shit into the unemployments benefits program, but I'm sure you knew that...right?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Unless you own a business that employs other people, you didn't pay jack shit into the unemployments benefits program, but I'm sure you knew that...right?[/QUOTE]
If it's a program that the gov't says I'm entitled to(which I'm not currently) due to being unemployed I'm gonna do like so many folks do n milk that shit for as long as I can. I might as well get some of the money back the gov't squanders on healthcare for people in fuckin' Africa or other useless shit that doesn't benefit their own citizens.:roll:

And yes, I know it's usually a state funded program.

[quote name='ssjmichael']One time or another you still have to pay it don't you, what the hell difference would it make? Wow you're really showing Big Brother by waiting till the last second to pay them the same money you'd pay them earlier. Way to stand up to the man!

You seem like the type that's living off the government rather than contributing a cent anyway[/QUOTE]

Simple math. Let's say you owe the government money. Would you rather pay if back the first day you are asked to, or let the money sit in your bank account earning interest and then pay it back at the end of the ALLOWED PERIOD?

[quote name='8bitArtist']i didnt download any of the free games cuz i played them all already. "you people" are very annoying when the only reason you even tried to redeem the stuff was you heard it was the last day. the excuse you made was because the servers would be bogged down if everyone tried at once, but after the 1st week, it was a non issue. so that left you 20 days of no hassle downloading.

i guarantee when it expires on the 5th people that didnt redeem their shit will STILL BITCH cuz they were busy on the 4th, blah blah blah blah.

you come off as quite the douche bag in your previous post:[/QUOTE]

First of all, I never mentioned why I waited until the last day. My reasons aren't even important. I also never said that I waited because the servers would be bogged down. I said that if all of us were anal asses and HAD to download the very first day, the servers would crawl. That's IF we all were that impatient. As it was, the servers were slow for a week because not everyone downloaded immediately. Piggy.

bread's done
Back