Welcome to GGT #63's Putting Challenge. I am GGT. Now choose a club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Chacrana']The machine gun type thing worked pretty well on those fuckers, too. But yeah, plasma cutter was my fave weapon.[/QUOTE]

I think I've played through the game 4 times total.
I've done "only plasma cutter" twice.

Reading the ME2 demo comments from PS3 only owners makes me sick. It's like listening to some children after they watch Star Wars for the first time and hating on it because it's not like the new Star Trek movie.

Shut up... please...

I'm surprised at the negative reactions at the ME2 demo too. It's a pretty amazing demo. The full opening, character creation, a couple of sections to play, a taste of the dialogue wheel--they couldn't have made it much better. It lasts about an hour (and of course, replay value in playing as the other gender, I guess.) I guess people are bitching about some technical aspects that nobody else cares about, as usual on gaf.

I do think they should have gone the route of the Phantasy Star 2 Portable demo though-- make the whole opening playable (including the Mass Effect 1 comic), allow you to create your character, let you play an insignificant mission or 2, then cut it off, but allow you to import your character into the full game.

That said, I don't think I'll pay $60 on launch day for it.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Reading the ME2 demo comments from PS3 only owners makes me sick. It's like listening to some children after they watch Star Wars for the first time and hating on it because it's not like the new Star Trek movie.

Shut up... please...[/QUOTE]

How does PS3 only make a difference here? :lol:

--

Actually, I think I played through Dead Space at least 4.5 times, maybe 5.
Visceral Games seems to have a good track record for me and playthroughs, even if the game is average. I played Dante's Inferno 5 times too. :roll:

[quote name='ninja dog']I'm surprised at the negative reactions at the ME2 demo too. It's a pretty amazing demo. The full opening, character creation, a couple of sections to play, a taste of the dialogue wheel--they couldn't have made it much better. It lasts about an hour (and of course, replay value in playing as the other gender, I guess.) I guess people are bitching about some technical aspects that nobody else cares about, as usual on gaf.

I do think they should have gone the route of the Phantasy Star 2 Portable demo though-- make the whole opening playable (including the Mass Effect 1 comic), allow you to create your character, let you play an insignificant mission or 2, then cut it off, but allow you to import your character into the full game.

That said, I don't think I'll pay $60 on launch day for it.[/QUOTE]
I believe they did that with the 360 demo of ME2. Can't remember exactly. And it's not just technical bitching, I've seen people complaining that the combat is horrible and not as good as Uncharted. I hope they also complain that Uncharteds RPG dialogue options aren't as good as Mass Effect.

[quote name='ninja dog']Final Fantasy X-2 has the best battle system in the series. Discuss.[/QUOTE]

Actually the game did have a fairly solid battle system (although switching costumes took longer than it really needed to), but other then that it was one of the most fluid turn based combat systems. Now the story on the other hand...

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Hmmm... alpha protocol for 7.50? Would I like it? Worth going PC over console?[/QUOTE]

From what I've read, going PC doesn't change the experience much--it's still a buggy, uneven mess. At least, it doesn't seem worth even $7.50 IMO.

ME2 is great.

[quote name='icebeast']Actually the game did have a fairly solid battle system (although switching costumes took longer than it really needed to), but other then that it was one of the most fluid turn based combat systems. Now the story on the other hand...[/QUOTE]

i wish the changing animation setting of "off" actually meant "off." :\ otherwise, no complaints. it's fast, difficult, and fun. like an evolved version of FFXIII's battle system.

Just finished the LBP 2 demo. Didn't like it. Doesn't feel like they fixed my jumping problems from the first game. I'll probably still pick it up when it hits $30, though.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Just finished the LBP 2 demo. Didn't like it. Doesn't feel like they fixed my jumping problems from the first game. I'll probably still pick it up when it hits $30, though.[/QUOTE]
The story levels in the beta/demo suck. But that's not the reason to play the game.

[quote name='dallow']I just bought LP2.
I can join.[/QUOTE]

You're not allowed.

Just kidding. :grouphug: Sent you a friend request

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Don't play \/\/\/\/\/\/ then. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]
All you need is the soundtrack anyway. :drool:

Surprise! I can't find a new copy of Super Mario All-Stars anywhere. I guess my sister is out of luck....

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Just finished the LBP 2 demo. Didn't like it. Doesn't feel like they fixed my jumping problems from the first game. I'll probably still pick it up when it hits $30, though.[/QUOTE]

Jumping problems? I don't remember any of those. I pressed jump. Sackman jumped.

Anyway, I finally have a box -- did you still want these bongos for shipping cost? I could probably send em out Monday.

I think he means that the jumping is "floaty". It can be a problem depending on the level, but LBP2 is more than just platforming this time around.

[quote name='gunm']I think he means that the jumping is "floaty". It can be a problem depending on the level, but LBP2 is more than just platforming this time around.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the "floaty" jumping is the problem I had with the first game.

[quote name='dallow']Buying the shit out of cheap Steam and iOS games and all I've been playing is a free game where you drop coins that push other coins to get them to fall.
Like those old ticket machines at arcades.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I used to waste tons of money on those at the carnival every summer.

[quote name='gunm']I think he means that the jumping is "floaty". It can be a problem depending on the level, but LBP2 is more than just platforming this time around.[/QUOTE]

I know that, guys. I was just giving him flack. I didn't love the floaty jumping either, but once I got used to it, I had no problem finishing the game. :p

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Hmmm... alpha protocol for 7.50? Would I like it? Worth going PC over console?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='gunm']From what I've read, going PC doesn't change the experience much--it's still a buggy, uneven mess. At least, it doesn't seem worth even $7.50 IMO.

ME2 is great.[/QUOTE]
I really like Alpha Protocol, played about 10 hours of it on PC, plan on finishing it at least twice just to see how much I can fuck shit up. Reasons to get the PC version are basically better graphics and performance. it's UE3, after all.

I've not run into any bugs or crashes. It's one of those games that's on the verge of greatness, but needs more polish. Don't play it like Gears of War, play it like Splinter Cell 1.

For $7.50, give it a shot.
[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']All you need is the soundtrack anyway. :drool:[/QUOTE]
Amen to that.

The older you get, the less Christmas means. It's about the kids, let them enjoy it.

Kids like JSP.

Imma just eat mom's cooking and play games all weekend. Party time next weekend. Gonna get soooooooooooooooooo fuckin' TWISTED!! :bouncy:

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I believe they did that with the 360 demo of ME2. Can't remember exactly. And it's not just technical bitching, I've seen people complaining that the combat is horrible and not as good as Uncharted. I hope they also complain that Uncharteds RPG dialogue options aren't as good as Mass Effect.[/QUOTE]

ME2's dialogue isn't terribly special, to be honest. It's a casual's RPG, through and through. A very well made one, at that.

And back to the Dead Space wall monster. It isn't threatening to you whatsoever, it's a waste of ammo to dispose of, and you can literally walk by it every time.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']The story levels in the beta/demo suck. But that's not the reason to play the game.[/QUOTE]
It's one of them for me... I'm not really super creative with the level creator.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']It's Christmas Eve tomorrow?

IDK guys, I'm not feeling it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='manthing']Me neither.[/QUOTE]

Same. Depressing. Tomorrow feels like Friday... but I'm forced to go to families house and give them stuff.

I think a big part of it is that my brother and i have always done Christmas morning here at home with my mom + stepdad, and Christmas Eve with our grandparents on our dad's side and a big dinner and presents and all that...but this summer my grandparents moved away after living 5 minutes from us for the last 19 years, and now Christmas doesn't feel the saaaame.

Wah

[quote name='panzerfaust']ME2's dialogue isn't terribly special, to be honest. It's a casual's RPG, through and through. A very well made one, at that.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's certainly no Dragon Age when it comes to dialogue/choices. I hate the use of the word "casual" though in gaming, because people use it to mean so many different things nowadays. I'd describe ME2 as more streamlined than most RPGs, with a mostly black and white dialog system, which can be fun when you aren't looking for something terribly deep. With that said, the dialogue does still have an impact on the story, so that still puts it ahead of most games as far as dialogue choices go.

lets not call Dragon Age the high water mark of WRPG dialogue...

the Witcher is miles beyond any of these games. Opaque morality system ftw. ME2 is like "+500 Evil Points!" when you choose something and Dragon Age doesn't really pull off moral ambiguity well either, since the choices are still:
1. I love you!
2. I am indifferent towards you.
3. I am going to rip out your throat and pee on your grandma.
4. I have a question about something that will give you the opportunity for an overlong monologue.

The Witcher keeps you guessing what the hell will come of your choices the whole time. The writing and voice acting in the EE is pretty damn good too. Wish I had a PC that could handle it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']ME2's dialogue isn't terribly special, to be honest. It's a casual's RPG, through and through. A very well made one, at that.

And back to the Dead Space wall monster. It isn't threatening to you whatsoever, it's a waste of ammo to dispose of, and you can literally walk by it every time.[/QUOTE]

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is more of a casual RPG than ME2 is. :lol:

I couldn't walk by the things in Dead Space -- they kept flinging so many of those fucking pods out... ugh. Really hated them.

Yeah I was a big fan of The Witcher dialogue. Felt much more natural.

I don't mean casual in a negative sense, I enjoy casual games and streamlined RPGs are among my favorite (i.e Final Fantasy). I just think it's kind of a shame Bioware has to keep going deeper down that route as opposed to giving us a little more mature experience like in the days of Black Isle games.

Played some NBA 2K11 and it's a bit disappointing after of the . The Jordan game they throw you into before you can get to the menus was nice for the amount of work that went into getting the player licenses and all that, but I don't think Magic Johnson nor Michael Jordan wore the ultra baggy jerseys that is the standard today back then
michael_jordan_magic_1991.jpg
. That kind of ruined the whole point of having this stuff if it didn't look right.

The control scheme is kind of terrible, as somebody at 2K continues to mandate that the shot stick be the default. I moved the iso moves to the right stick and it got a bit better. The menus are an improvement over past 2K games, but still having to flick the right stick just to get the menus to appear is stupid.

Tried out the career mode, as well. The player creator is very limited in just the basic build of the player. The drills don't really teach anything well and the first few games are very hard to do well in. The game would keep changing who I was supposed to cover or just tell me to cover everyone, so I'd get penalized for letting anybody score. And it seems like it'll switch if I'm guarding one guy and get close to another. I'm already starting over after changing the controls and understanding what's going on now.

So much for this being the best sports game of the generation.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']It's Christmas Eve tomorrow?

IDK guys, I'm not feeling it.[/QUOTE]

Same. They're calling for 2-3 inches of snow Saturday, though, so maybe it'll feel like it then.. but probably not.

[quote name='ninja dog']lets not call Dragon Age the high water mark of WRPG dialogue...

the Witcher is miles beyond any of these games. Opaque morality system ftw. ME2 is like "+500 Evil Points!" when you choose something and Dragon Age doesn't really pull off moral ambiguity well either, since the choices are still:
1. I love you!
2. I am indifferent towards you.
3. I am going to rip out your throat and pee on your grandma.
4. I have a question about something that will give you the opportunity for an overlong monologue.

The Witcher keeps you guessing what the hell will come of your choices the whole time. The writing and voice acting in the EE is pretty damn good too. Wish I had a PC that could handle it.[/QUOTE]

I agree that the Witcher does it well, but I think you are oversimplifying the Dragon Age system. Most of the important decisions in that game are actually morally gray. There are very few times where I felt that the choices actually fell into those categories that you listed. Sometimes on the surface they appeared to be straightforward, but when you would think about them further, they were actually not as easy to choose as you originally thought. And the characters were also not as one-sided as one would originally think.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='panzerfaust']We can kiss that kind of dialogue good bye with the sequel though :lol:[/QUOTE]

I don't know about that. I haven't been keeping up with DA2 news too much (on purpose), but I did read this which gives me hope.

What? You can skip the intro demo game in 2K11. You do not need to use shot stick to shoot in the default control scheme either.

my christmas eve is going to be awesome. got a cuban thing I'm going to for my sisters boyfriend called Noche' Buena where they roast a pig in the ground for a few hours... on top of that Iowa pies from my mom and a ton of other good food all outside in sunny miami ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back