Went and saw "Bug" last night

Rags

CAGiversary!
Figured most would not have seen or heard of it due to Shrek, Pirates, and Spiderman all being out right now...but I went to see Bug last night. It's the new one with Ashley Judd.

Absolute retarted. It has SciFi Channel original movie written all over it.

There were about 40-50 people in there, and during the serious parts of the movie people in the theater were laughing....as though it were a comedy. It was that bad. The trailer made this movie look as though it were something TOTALLY different than what it was. It looked as though it were a scary horror type movie, then it turns out to be a psychological drama kinda thing.

If you are thinking of going to see this....you might just want to wait for the DVD version or better yet don't watch it at all.

AND a SPOILER.....

I don't know how to use the spoiler button

THERE ARE NO FRICKING BUGS IN THE ENTIRE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has gotten pretty good reviews from the critics (which most of the time means I won't like it) but then Yahoo users have given it bad reviews. Maybe people are going in thinking it is a horror movie and it turns out it's not (as you said)?

I'm not just blamming it because it was not what I was expecting. It was just too over the top stupid to take seriously, and with the type of movie it was that is not a good thing. Everyone I saw walking out of the theater that saw it was laughing, not a one took it seriously.

I'm not gonna go too much more into it than that because I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who might still want to see it.

[quote name='Rags']THERE ARE NO FRICKING BUGS IN THE ENTIRE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]That about says it all, then.

[quote name='cdubb1605']the irony...i am drowning in it.[/QUOTE]

you must not see many of my posts if this is the first time you've seen me use the phrase "absolute retarted". That is if your trying to critique my grammar on a fucking message board......

[quote name='Rags']you must not see many of my posts if this is the first time you've seen me use the phrase "absolute retarted". That is if your trying to critique my grammar on a fucking message board......[/quote]

But reading your posts makes our heads hurt....

[quote name='Zen Davis']But reading your posts makes our heads hurt....[/QUOTE]

So you have read my other posts

Bug was a very good experimental film.

It paralleled the danger of love quite well.

Your problem was that you fell for the movie studio's marketing, walking in the theatre thinking it was a horror film because you saw a trailer on televison. (It was, in the true meaning of the word -- but not Hollywood horror.)

Your fault.

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']No one has issued the most important question of all - is there any Ashley full frontal nudity?[/QUOTE]
There is.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']You should have asked for your money back and claimed it was not as advertised since there were no bugs.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Great idea!

I'd like to see people take this to the extreme....ie. there was no Devil in the "Devil's Rejects"; no Silence in "Silence of the Lambs" etc. no XXX in XXX..., you get the idea....

It's a psychological movie.

Roughly it's about this trailer trash woman who lives in a motel in the middle of a very rural town. She lost her son at the grocery store and shes lonely now. She meets this other guy who apparently had military medical testing on him and he's all paranoid. She's so lonely that she keeps him around and then the movie goes on from there.

The movie puts you into the perspective of two people.

I liked it as did my friends but no one else in my theater did. Then again the rest of the people in the theater were looking for a generic loud noise mindless gore flick.

So your mad cause you went to a movie called bugs thinking that it was going to be a horror fest. Its very apparent you have the internet. Why not research the movie your going to see first. Instead of blindly going, and then coming back here bitching.

I was not looking for just a gore film...like I said I was expecting something different. BUT, I was not put off by the fact it was not a horror movie. I was just not able to take anything in it serious. If it had been a good film the 45 or so people that were there last night would have not been laughing during the "horrifying" moments.

You can not watch that trailer and expect there to be no bugs. So don't give me that shit that you were not expecting bugs. I'm not going to go read the entire synopsis of the movie before I go watch it......

[quote name='dastly75']Roughly it's about this trailer trash woman who lives in a motel in the middle of a very rural town. She lost her son at the grocery store and shes lonely now.[/quote]

Lost her son at the grocery store? Blimey, that was pretty careless.

EDIT - Thinking about it, gypsies probably got him, damn Gypsies !!

OK, tell me this.....When you heard the title SNAKES ON A PLANE

What the fuck did you expect it to be about?

Same situation

[quote name='Rags']OK, tell me this.....When you heard the title SNAKES ON A PLANE

What the fuck did you expect it to be about?[/QUOTE]
Sameuel L. Jackson building an airplane that would lead the snakes to freedom because Whacking Day was soon to come.

[quote name='dastly75']It's a psychological movie.

Roughly it's about this trailer trash woman who lives in a motel in the middle of a very rural town. She lost her son at the grocery store and shes lonely now. She meets this other guy who apparently had military medical testing on him and he's all paranoid. She's so lonely that she keeps him around and then the movie goes on from there.

The movie puts you into the perspective of two people.

I liked it as did my friends but no one else in my theater did. Then again the rest of the people in the theater were looking for a generic loud noise mindless gore flick.[/QUOTE]
Well, that's what it's about at face value, anyway.

There are a lot of underlying themes to the story.

I'd really like to see the play that this was adapted from, and see how the set is presented. The set, in the film, looked great... but I didn't get much of a claustrophobic feel -- I heard the play executes this feeling quite well. ( I wish the film were longer, in order to really drill the isolation and claustrophobia into the viewer. )

As I said earlier, this film is horror in the true sense of the word -- not in the Nightmare on Elm Street sense.

If you enjoy Cronenberg films, you'll enjoy Bug.

[quote name='Rags'] I'm not going to go read the entire synopsis of the movie before I go watch it......[/QUOTE]

Well then don't bitch about it then. The information as to what the movie is about is readily available.

I saw the trailer on TV, and it does seem to present the movie in a completely different manner than it really is. OP has a valid point.

Just read the following paragraph from a site. So reading up on things like you mentioned would not have helped the movie not suck. And seriously...how many fricken times do I have to say that I was not put off by the fact that is was not as gore fest? I just thought it was a stupid movie.

The waitress Agnes (Ashley Judd), lives in fear of her violent ex-husband Jerry Goss (Harry Connick, Jr.), who has been let out of jail. Agnes meets Peter (Michael Shannon), and he becomes her protector and lover. Peter begins to talk about the first Gulf War, UFOs, the Oklahoma City bombings, cult suicides, and secret government experiments on soldiers. He is contending with an apparent infestation of parasites and insects. Oddness darkens into madness. Other characters include Agnes' lesbian friend and co-worker, played by Lynn Collins, and Peter's doctor, played by Brían F. O'Byrne. The story deals with domestic violence, conspiracy theories, paranoia and madness that borders on schizophrenia.

[quote name='Rags']The story deals with domestic violence, conspiracy theories, paranoia and madness that borders on schizophrenia.[/QUOTE]

In other words, no bugs.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']In other words, no bugs.[/QUOTE]

and your point?

Whether you guys want to admit it or not, that trailer did it's best to make the movie something it is not.

[quote name='Rags']Just read the following paragraph from a site. So reading up on things like you mentioned would not have helped the movie not suck. And seriously...how many fricken times do I have to say that I was not put off by the fact that is was not as gore fest? I just thought it was a stupid movie.[/QUOTE]
Are you really this stupid? Looking into the synopsis of the film would have made a difference in that you'd have never seen it (as it does not pertain to your interests), and would have never cried on an online message board about how you got ripped off that there were no bugs in the film (as that does pertain to you interests).

And the trailer was editing in a way so people like you would lose $6.50. How else are they going to market such a niche film?

It's a dirty trick, yes... but "fool me once..."

[quote name='Brak']Are you really this stupid? Looking into the synopsis of the film would have made a difference in that you'd have never seen it (as it does not pertain to your interests), and would have never cried on an online message board about how you got ripped off that there were no bugs in the film (as that does pertain to you interests).

And the trailer was editing in a way so people like you would lose $6.50. How else are they going to market such a niche film?

It's a dirty trick, yes... but "fool me once..."[/QUOTE]

Calling me stupid? Your the dumbass who can't read my posts properly. How many times do you have to read "I WAS NOT PUT OFF THAT IT HAD NO BUGS OR THAT IT WAS NOT A GORE FEST".

It was just a stupid movie with a stupid script. There is no way a level headed person could take this movie seriously.

Some people will like it....but I can guarantee a majority will hate this movie.

[quote name='whoknows']Guess I'm not going to go see it now.

And to make it clear, yes, I was expecting a gorefest.[/QUOTE]

Same here, especially with how the trailers were set up.

But I wasn't going to ever see it regardless.

[quote name='Rags']Your the dumbass[/quote]
O', the sweet, sweet irony.

[quote name='Rags']who can't read my posts properly. How many times do you have to read "I WAS NOT PUT OFF THAT IT HAD NO BUGS OR THAT IT WAS NOT A GORE FEST".

It was just a stupid movie with a stupid script. There is no way a level headed person could take this movie seriously.

Some people will like it....but I can guarantee a majority will hate this movie.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Rags']It looked as though it were a scary horror type movie, then it turns out to be a psychological drama kinda thing.[/quote]
[quote name='Rags']THERE ARE NO FRICKING BUGS IN THE ENTIRE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]
I wouldn't want your flip-flop opinion, which is contradictory of your original post, to give me the wrong idea, or anything. For that, I aplogize.

[quote name='Rags']That is if your trying to critique my grammar on a fucking message board......[/quote]

you're right. a message board composed almost entirely of text is the LAST place anyone should be worried about how to spell things. :roll:

[quote name='Rags']Calling me stupid? Your the dumbass who can't read my posts properly. How many times do you have to read "I WAS NOT PUT OFF THAT IT HAD NO BUGS OR THAT IT WAS NOT A GORE FEST".[/QUOTE]

OMG you totally got me. I'm so mad that I'll yell at you.

It was so totally over my head. Butterfly Effect all over again.

Some people will like it....but I can guarantee a majority will hate this movie.

Because the majority of people are dumb...like me.

And thus ends another episode of, 'What People Really Mean."

Many people, even Ashley Judd herself have referred to the movie as a dark comedy. It's really cool seeing into how a nutjob is created and how they think.

I liked the whole phone ringing thing. By the end of the movie, they had it disconnected just like they were disconnected from the rest of the world. Also the dramatic glorification of the fan blades becoming a full out helicoptor above them.

[quote name='dastly75']Many people, even Ashley Judd herself have referred to the movie as a dark comedy. It's really cool seeing into how a nutjob is created and how they think.

I liked the whole phone ringing thing. By the end of the movie, they had it disconnected just like they were disconnected from the rest of the world. Also the dramatic glorification of the fan blades becoming a full out helicoptor above them.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah.

The phone ringing was a cool, hidden mechanic in the film. I think they used it to show, in retrospect, that Judd's character was just as fucked. In other words, the phone was never ringing, even before she completely lost it.

Obviously you guys are not going to change my opinion on this movie and I will not change yours. And I know there are other people that might have wanted to see this movie based on the trailer, expecting something different. Maybe I changed their minds, maybe I didn't.

But seriously, is pointing out an occasional grammar problem or a contraction not used the best you guys can do? But no, you go the extra step telling me I don't understand the movie....

I understood it plenty enough, and did not care for it. Guess I'm not open to my opinion and what you guys think is fact these days eh?

And I saw this statement by a critic, and it sums up my thoughts exactly>
"Supposed to be a serious psychological thriller, an unsettling little number designed to creep us out and make us think. But it's really just junk."

edit> I have no idea how to use those spoiler buttons...let me know how and I will edit the posts

[quote name='Rags']But seriously, is pointing out an occasional grammar problem or a contraction not used the best you guys can do?[/quote]
That's all I needed to do, really. I think I'll do it some more:

[quote name='Rags']But no, you go the extra step telling me I don't understand the movie....

I understood it plenty enough, and did not care for it.[/quote]

Explain it to me. I'd love to hear your interpretation.

[quote name='Rags']Guess I'm not open to my opinion and what you guys think is fact these days eh?[/quote]

When did ANY-ONE say that your opinion was wrong? Don't retract, playing the victim. For the thousandth time: Those "contesting" you pointed out why you shouldn't have seen the film, as it did not pertain to your interests.

For one I did not pick the movie, I went with a date. She showed me the trailer, it looked like a decent horror flick, so we went.
Therefore yes, I was expecting a horror film. Yes, I was expecting a horror film about bugs. That is how the trailer portrayed it, so that is what I was expecting.

I never once said I only like horror films and not psychological thriller type movies. Therefore this movie was not out of my level of taste in movies, I'll watch anything. I was surprised that it was totally different from what I was expecting, but that is not what made me think bad things of the movie. I just don't think the film was good at all. Did not care for it a bit.

I'm not exactly sure what you are wanting me to say by "my interpretation".

Jeez. Get off Rags' back. His complaint is that the damn movie is completely diferent than what is inferred by the trailer - a point that no one has disagreed with.

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']Jeez. Get off Rags' back. His complaint is that the damn movie is completely diferent than what is inferred by the trailer - a point that no one has disagreed with.[/QUOTE]Who goes to see a movie based strictly on the trailer anymore, though?

[quote name='jmcc']Who goes to see a movie based strictly on the trailer anymore, though?[/QUOTE]

Someone who does not want to know exactly what is going to happen in the movie. I suppose I could have read up on Spiderman to see exactly who he was going to fight side by side with at the end....but then that might have ruined that because I knew it would happen.

I'll admit I went into this movie thinking that it was a horror movie about bugs but to my surprise I ended up liking it anyway. This is a movie like Black Snake Moan, one that can be recommended to only those that are open-minded.

I think it's a movie like Fight Club. You either like it or hate it, no in between.

I just happen to be one that does not like it, not sure what it was about it, but I just did not care for it.

bread's done
Back