We're having a baby...wait, two?...TWO babies! UPDATE: They're here!!!

Had the definitive ultrasound last week and we're having...

DOUBLE DUDES!:baby::baby::whee:

We're at 20 weeks today, the official halfway mark. Supposedly the kids are the size of cantaloupes, which got quite a reaction from Mrs. Tybee.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you said I would give my left nut to have kids, you werent joking!!! congrats!!!

p.s. the comment about the chemo and radiation allergy bit shut the fuck up. No father to be wants to think or hear that shit

[quote name='Tybee']Supposedly the kids are the size of cantaloupes, which got quite a reaction from Mrs. Tybee.[/QUOTE]

Tybee's wife confirmed for having bigger balls than most men.

Awesome AND congratulations! My girlfriend and I are also having twins. Identical twin girls due in Feb. I did it the old fashion way with my sperm causing a supernova in the egg... or at least I like to think thats how I like to think it happens... Now ill really have to be a cheap ass gamer.

I hope your wife likes being outnumbered with three men to one woman. :D

Also, I guess if you have to remove a testicle at some point, you're blessed with male children to make up for it? :lol:

[quote name='Strell']Tybee's wife confirmed for having bigger balls than most men.[/QUOTE]

Not only that, but she has FOUR, count 'em, FOUR of 'em...Well, until April anyway.

[quote name='thenurseryan']Awesome AND congratulations! My girlfriend and I are also having twins. Identical twin girls due in Feb. I did it the old fashion way with my sperm causing a supernova in the egg... or at least I like to think thats how I like to think it happens... Now ill really have to be a cheap ass gamer.[/QUOTE]

Congrats to you too, sir! I do notice that when people who do not know our whole sordid backstory learn we're having twins, there's this brief look in my direction that says, "Damn, son. NICE SPERM." Sometimes I tell them, and sometimes I don't. Because fuck it. At this point I think I've earned the occasional assumption of my virility, mistaken or no. :cool:

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Can't give enough congrats buddy, you will have some great stories to tell your KIDS someday.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention prime guilt trip fodder! (j/k)

[quote name='shrike4242']I hope your wife likes being outnumbered with three men to one woman. :D[/QUOTE]

She says it'll be just like college. I'm not sure what that means.

Wait...

We're at 33 weeks! Last week a crew from CNN came to our house and filmed an hour or so interview with us for a Sanjay Gupta piece on male infertility. They followed us around the house filming B-roll, and then followed us to our OB appointment and filmed that. It aired this morning. Here it is:

http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2012/02/29/exp-point-sanjay-gupta.cnn.html

HTML:
EDIT: Can't seem to get the embed to work, but the link is there.

Strange that all of that filming got distilled down to a few brief words from us and some shots of me futzing around in the kitchen. Even stranger that the cancer was effectively an afterthought and that the fact that we're having twins, which would seem to cement the happy ending, doesn't even come up.

Still very humbled that they felt our story was worth portraying.

[quote name='dohdough']That's pretty cool! Nice house btw. :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks! With two little boys running roughshod over it, I don't imagine it'll stay that way for long. ;)

Glad to hear things are going well. I hope it continues that way.

BTW, this reminded that I need to make an appointment so the doctor can check my gupta.

Is that you in the vid Tybee?? Somehow I pictured you as a 19-20 year old kid:lol: Great to see you are doing good!! My wife is 35 weeks and is due around March 31st.

Yeah, the last comprehensive ultrasound was on Valentine's Day, and at that point Baby A was measuring 4 lbs., 4 oz. (67th percentile) and Baby B was measuring 4 lbs., 13 oz. (94th percentile). At this point they may be pushing 6 lbs. each, and our OB says if Lindsay carries to term or close to it, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could come out around 8 lbs. each, which is unusually robust for twins.

Thankfully no gestational diabetes. We're just big parents (I'm 6'5", she's 6'), so it stands to reason we will have big kids. An up side is her height makes it easier for her to carry multiples longer, so we'll see how long we can keep them baking. She's going to start working from home next week (34 weeks) to help minimize stress.

We're at 37 weeks, 2 days, and the die has been cast: We're inducing Thursday night. Lindsay's had mild pre-eclamptic symptoms for a few weeks now, but they're starting to spike and our OB and perinatalogist are tapping their watches nervously. Blood pressure getting scary high, lots of swelling, and spilling protein. So we've got to get this party started or else risk not being able to attempt a vaginal delivery, not to mention Lindsay risking seizures or a stroke.

So the clock is counting down. Any tips from my CAG brethren who have been down this road?

Don't break up with her/ask for a divorce while she's pushing the kid(s) out. I learned that from Scrubs. I feel like that's pretty solid advice. :D

Congratulations!

Wow, I cannot offer any advice but I'm sure everything will go fine. You guys seem like nice people who deserve and want a family, so I'm sure things will go perfectly! Good luck and congrats again!

Buy her McDonalds while she's stuck in the hospital...hospital food sucks. I'm not saying that to be a punk, but you'd be amazed at how happy that will make her (compared to another bouquet of flowers that will have to be carried out of the room when you leave).
Congrats to both of you...and your little men (the ones she's carrying)!

[quote name='Cheapie McGee']Buy her McDonalds while she's stuck in the hospital...hospital food sucks. I'm not saying that to be a punk, but you'd be amazed at how happy that will make her (compared to another bouquet of flowers that will have to be carried out of the room when you leave).
Congrats to both of you...and your little men (the ones she's carrying)![/QUOTE]

It really depends on the hospital. We went to this one in the ghetto a couple times and their cafeteria food was actually pretty damn good. When we went to the one in a nice upper middle class area, the food was SHIT.

[quote name='Tybee']So the clock is counting down. Any tips from my CAG brethren who have been down this road?[/QUOTE]
When the laughing jackal finds you, refuse his first offer. Instead, light the incense and speak the name "Anasazi" and he will challenge you to the ancient Chinese dice game "sic bo". Defeat him, and he will serve you loyally for ten winters.

Apologies for pretty much falling off the face of the planet for three of four months, but having twins will do that to ya! :roll:

SO...Please allow me to introduce Finn Steven Averett and Jude Linden Averett, born March 29, 2012.

574641_3752723336131_1912395294_n.jpg

A recap of the births themselves: On the morning of Wed., March 28, Lindsay's blood pressure was higher than it had been (and it was already elevated due to mild preeclampsia, a condition common late in multiples pregnancies). We'd been back and forth to both our OB and the hospital for many days in a row, so after verifying the BP reading at our friendly neighborhood fire station, we were told to report directly to the hospital, do not pass go -- although we did make a mama-mandated Dairy Queen stop to pick up a couple of Blizzards.

When we got to the the hospital around 2:00 in the afternoon, we discovered that Lindsay was actually having regular, significant contractions, was 5 cm dilated and was thus in labor. This natural start to labor was a bit of a surprise as we had been told toward the end that we would likely have to be induced before natural labor could begin, mainly due to the preeclampsia fears.

So we were off. From that point to the boys' arrival was around 15 hours. Things got serious around 2:00 AM on Thursday, the 29th, and as Lindsay prepared to push, we were moved into the operating room, a necessary precaution given the fact that twins were involved and that the first was breech, thus raising the specter of an emergency C-section. Happily, everything went as smoothly as could be, with Finn arriving (breech) at 4:49 AM at 6 lbs., 15 oz., and his brother, Jude, arriving (head first) at 5:06 AM at 6 lbs., 14 oz. Lindsay did it without a single painkiller and was A-MAZ-ING. The strength and courage she displayed throughout the births (and the entire pregnancy) truly humbled me and only made me love and respect her more deeply than ever before.

While Finn's water was broken manually before pushing began in earnest, Jude's didn't rupture until he was actually in the birth canal. That caused him to aspirate some of the amniotic fluid as he took his first breaths, leading to some breathing problems. So while Finn went with Lindsay and our doula back to the recovery room, I followed Jude to the NICU, his tiny hand wrapped around my finger (the only part I could get to with all the IVs and monitors they had attached and the massive C-PAP mask on his face). So that was a scary thing. But he showed rapid improvement, and his brother came along in kind, and by Sunday, April 1, we were cleared to go home!

The boys are happy, healthy and indescribably adorable. They were each unique (they are fraternal, not identical) from the moment they arrived, and they've only gotten more distinct over the last three months:
526158_4228629037964_1157948259_n.jpg

Jude Averett, amateur paleontologist, ponders the Latin required to name his latest discovery.

486947_4236698919706_714627916_n.jpg

Finn, very pleased to be drooling on himself.
560630_4228707959937_1757007651_n.jpg

See if you can guess who's hungry?
179625_4228693119566_1754213222_n.jpg

Comedy and...well, not tragedy. Ambivalence, maybe?

It won't surprise you to learn that up until last night, I hadn't been able to touch a video game since the boys' arrival. If you think playing games with one baby in the mix is hard, try it with two. But I've resumed Mass Effect 3 and looking forward to finishing that up. They've moved into the nursery into their own cribs and established a regular bedtime now, and even sometimes sleep through the night (though usually they still require a feeding between 2:00 and 5:00 AM). So we're actually able to have some time to ourselves in the evening, which feels like a miracle. :pray:

Congrats, it is nice to see that everything has worked out for you finally after all that time. Have fun holding down vomit while you change stinky diapers filled to the top with waste!

Belated congratulations on Finn's and Jude's arrival. I enjoyed reading their birth story and the photos are great. Those are two adorable boys you have there!

Congratulations, Tybee. Glad to hear everything is going well. Years from now you'll be able to tell the boys about how their first summer was a scorcher (106!!!). :hot:

Not walking yet? Disappointing.

I mean, I GUESS congratulations, despite no obvious attempts and mobility like the rest of us already put up with.

bread's done
Back