Westinghouse 26 inch monitor - black, 5ms response, Full 1080P - $260 shipped

Capitalizt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Crazy hot price for a 26'' 1080P gaming monitor...Most 22 inch models cost more than this!

Link: http://www.buy.com/prod/westinghous...20-x-1200-60hz-16-10/q/loc/101/207540840.html

24-255-011-04.jpg

You should have posted this in the Other Deals forum since this isn't a video game deal.

It looks nice for the price. 1080p is a plus.

I saw this "sell" about a week ago, and I don't think it's really that good of a deal. The contrast ratio on it is horrible, and it's a Westinghouse, so don't expect too much.

I'd rather go 4" below and $60 cheaper and get the Acer Ferrari.

http://www.buy.com/prod/acer-ferrar...1-2ms-1680x1050-hdmi/q/loc/101/208808608.html

Acer Ferrari
22" LCD
1680x1050
2ms Delay Time
20000:1 Contrast Ratio

Westinghouse L2610NW
26" LCD
1920 x 1200
5ms Delay Time
3000:1 Contrast Ratio

[quote name='BarryC']I saw this "sell" about a week ago, and I don't think it's really that good of a deal. The contrast ratio on it is horrible, and it's a Westinghouse, so don't expect too much.

I'd rather go 4" below and $60 cheaper and get the Acer Ferrari.

http://www.buy.com/prod/acer-ferrar...1-2ms-1680x1050-hdmi/q/loc/101/208808608.html

Acer Ferrari
22" LCD
1680x1050
2ms Delay Time
20000:1 Contrast Ratio

Westinghouse L2610NW
26" LCD
1920 x 1200
5ms Delay Time
3000:1 Contrast Ratio[/quote]

A couple of questions for you:

1. Have you used the Westinghouse monitor?
2. Why are you comparing a non-1080p monitor with a 1080p monitor? It should be cheaper since it is smaller and does not handle the same resolution.

I thought people would have learned a LONG time ago that contrast ratio is meaningless when doing comparisons. I could say that the Acer you quoted has a horrible contrast ratio compared to the plasma TV I have. Big deal.

Now, find me another 1080p, 25-26" monitor for the same price or less OR quote some bad first hand experience with Westinghouse and then you can bag on the deal.

[quote name='jmbreci']A couple of questions for you:

1. Have you used the Westinghouse monitor?
2. Why are you comparing a non-1080p monitor with a 1080p monitor? It should be cheaper since it is smaller and does not handle the same resolution.

I thought people would have learned a LONG time ago that contrast ratio is meaningless when doing comparisons. I could say that the Acer you quoted has a horrible contrast ratio compared to the plasma TV I have. Big deal.

Now, find me another 1080p, 25-26" monitor for the same price or less OR quote some bad first hand experience with Westinghouse and then you can bag on the deal.[/quote]

I wasn't bagging on the deal. Are you offended that the Acer monitor is much better than the Westinghouse? Westinghouse makes BUDGET monitors and TVs, it's their business. You don't need a profressional to tell you that, but it is funny you mentioned contrast ratios is meaningless...you know since since everyone I know and myself included believe it's the biggest selling point on a monitor. It's the difference in a shitty picture and a good picture. I could care less what ratio your Plasma has, because it wasn't a contest or about comparing a computer monitor with a 20,000:1 (which is VERY, VERY good) ratio to your Plasma TV. Why don't we all just go buy Plasma TVs and use it for everything? I personally would rather have a better than 720p but slightly below 1080p monitor that displays true colors, brightness, and good blacks and isn't a cheaper brand for less money, but it's your decision.

[quote name='BarryC']I wasn't bagging on the deal. Are you offended that the Acer monitor is much better than the Westinghouse? Westinghouse makes BUDGET monitors and TVs, it's their business. You don't need a profressional to tell you that, but it is funny you mentioned contrast ratios is meaningless...you know since since everyone I know and myself included believe it's the biggest selling point on a monitor. It's the difference in a shitty picture and a good picture. I could care less what ratio your Plasma has, because it wasn't a contest or about comparing a computer monitor with a 20,000:1 (which is VERY, VERY good) ratio to your Plasma TV. Why don't we all just go buy Plasma TVs and use it for everything? I personally would rather have a better than 720p but slightly below 1080p monitor that displays true colors, brightness, and good blacks and isn't a cheaper brand for less money, but it's your decision.[/QUOTE]

The Acer is still a TN panel and, having seen it in person and calibrated it with my colorimeter, it's still pretty crappy. I wouldn't say it's appreciably better than the Westinghouse posted, just has a fancy bezel.

Westinghouse is a midrange brand name. If brand names are important to you.

Acer as a brand in my experience is crap. And nothing will change that to me. Having had bad experiences with acer products.

On the other hand. Owning a westinghouse 37inch 1080p monitor for about 5 months now I have been completely impressed with everything about it. They just won themselfs a new longtime customer.

This is a really good deal. I thought it may have been refurbished but after reading the description I didnt see any mention of that. 260 NEW SHIPPED = Great deal.

Yes for the size its a pretty good deal. I just got my 24" (also a Westinghouse) at BestBuy for $179 (was a close out, YMMV) to replace a SOYO 24" i bought about 2 years ago for $300. I will admit the westinghouse isnt as good as the SOYO (and the SOYO was cheap, but very functunal for the price) it has ever so slight ghosting, almost cant see it. The one in the Store was hooked to the standard BESTBUY setup (20 monitors on one source so none look good). So I have no idea if its normal or not. they only had the Demo left so I kept it. Like I say its almost not there and unless i think about it I dont notice it. My guess its not normal i just got a lemon. The $300 soyo's got alot of flack but look pretty damn nice for the price, and little more $$$ you get 2"... I want one now...

I do have 2 Westinghouse LCD TV's (voth 1080P) that i have uysed for 3-4 years and both work flawless, sure they are a bit of a budget brand, but I bet 95% of the average user couldnt tell it side by side from a big buck one.

I think its a gerat deal for the price. But i can say the BASE sucks, its not a good base (one in pictue looks just like my 24") other then that, works fine.

With anything, there are lemons. next few years we will all be buying 36" for $350.. I would rather get a good deal on a good moniter, then pay a premium for one i almost couldnt tell was more money, then upgrade down the road and eat that $2-400 extra. I guess some of us have money to burn, I sure dont, so a deal is a deal.

besides, arent all LCD panels made by just 3 manufacturers now? So the panel in that one is probebly the same as the $5-600 model from soembody else.

Clok

I purchased this monitor last week from Buy.com. I have it hooked up with an HDMI cable to my Xbox 360. The picture quality is excellent. No ghosting and bright colors. I was expecting the internal speakers to sound like crap but was pleasantly surprised with the sound quality. I usuallly play on a 52" 1080P LCD in case you were wondering. This is a crazy price for a decent monitor!

[quote name='dmanko']The Acer is still a TN panel and, having seen it in person and calibrated it with my colorimeter, it's still pretty crappy. I wouldn't say it's appreciably better than the Westinghouse posted, just has a fancy bezel.[/QUOTE]

ding ding ding.

its ridiculous to try and argue that the tn panel acer is superior to the tn panel westinghouse.
thats somebody without knowledge on the matter speaking over their head.

Thanks OP this is indeed a deal for those in the market for a monitor like that.

Also - guys - if you type buy.com coupons into google, you'll get a website with a list of them. The best is $10 off instantly for new customers (new email) and as a result, you can get this monitor for $250 :D

[quote name='paz9x']ding ding ding.

its ridiculous to try and argue that the tn panel acer is superior to the tn panel westinghouse.

Thanks OP this is indeed a deal for those in the market for a monitor like that.[/quote]
This. I started with an Acer 24" 1080p model, and it was so crappy I returned it for a 24" Westinghouse 1080p model. Difference was night & day, in favor of the Westinghouse.

This is a heckofa deal for the 26". Looks like the same base as on the 24", and as someone else stated it's a bit crummy. Otherwise, should be aces.

I'm waiting for LED backlit monitors to come out so we can see more of these prices. We should also see 120Hz computer monitors for sale soon. I'm more interested in a 1900x1200 resolution 24" anyways.

[quote name='paz9x']ding ding ding.

Thanks OP this is indeed a deal for those in the market for a monitor like that.[/quote]

Ding ding, you're an idiot as well. Why don't we just say Polaroid LCDs TVs are as good as Samsungs, since ya know Samsung makes Polaroid's panel...God damn idiots.

They may use the same panel, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the contrast ratio on both is very different. If you want to play games like you're still on your old grandpa's CRT, then go ahead.

I'll enjoy vibrant colors, deep blacks, and overall more stunning graphics with a 20k:1 ratio instead of a lousy 300:1.

[quote name='BarryC']Ding ding, you're an idiot as well. Why don't we just say Polaroid LCDs TVs are as good as Samsungs, since ya know Samsung makes Polaroid's panel...God damn idiots.

They may use the same panel, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the contrast ratio on both is very different. If you want to play games like you're still on your old grandpa's CRT, then go ahead.

I'll enjoy vibrant colors, deep blacks, and overall more stunning graphics with a 20k:1 ratio instead of a lousy 300:1.[/quote]If you know anything about LCD technology marketing, you would know that those dynamic contrast ratios are BS, plain and simple. Also I'm not sure why you took offense to his post.

[quote name='BarryC']Ding ding, you're an idiot as well. Why don't we just say Polaroid LCDs TVs are as good as Samsungs, since ya know Samsung makes Polaroid's panel...God damn idiots.

I'll enjoy vibrant colors, deep blacks, and overall more stunning graphics with a 20k:1 ratio instead of a lousy 300:1.[/QUOTE]

you mustve had extra coffee today.
theres is not a standardized formula for determining contrast ratio. its not an apples to apples comparison.

ALL tn panels have the same issues, certain models may be better in different respects but nothing warranting your post.

The OP created a thread on a specific deal, go ahead and create your own thread and toot your link to the acer. make sure to include the comment about enjoying a 20k:1 CR as well since that really applies.

I'll enjoy vibrant colors, deep blacks, and overall more stunning graphics with a 20k:1 ratio instead of a lousy 300:1.[/quote]
Good idea, attack those just trying to inform and help. Everyone has there own opinion and the bottom line is if you like what you have enjoy it. This post from avs really simplifies what people need to know in this thread.

There is no industry standard for measuring contrast ratios...so all companies use their own set of tricks to arrive at some absurd numbers for the marketing department to use. The high numbers you see are often a theoretical peak that the normal user will never reach at any time....and often some form of dynamic contrast circuitry is used...and most videophiles shun such processing and prefer to disable it if possible.

When I say the numbers aren't totally worthless I mean that if manufacturers are claiming a higher number than the competition...their set may in fact have a higher ratio during normal use. (but nowhere near the inflated number listed) When shopping for a tv it is best to use your own eyes and listen to owners of the sets you're considering. Shopping by numbers on a spec sheet can lead you down the wrong path..

And if you want the technical answer read below from the same thread:

With all due respect to anyone trying to defend "dynamic" contrast ratios, sadly they are useless. First, let's look at what a contrast ratio is in the first place. The basic ratio is White divided by Black. In real "optic's world" ratio, the formula is White+reflection / Black + reflection. Reflection is a percentage of the ambient light (room lighting) that is getting relfected off the front of a screen. Relfected light gets added to both the White reading as well as the Black reading.

From the LCD manufacturing standpoint (and not necessarily LCD TV set manufacturers) since they cannot define ambient light, they test their displays in a completely dark room. This means that there is ZERO reflection, so the contrast ratio is "pure". Assuming a 500 nit bright LCD, and Black is, for instance .5 nits; this would calculate to a 1000:1 "intrinsic" ratio.

Not wanting to lose to the incredibly high contrast ratios of plasma, LCD TV set manufacturers started to play a numbers game. Plasma emit "essentially" ZERO light as black so they get their 500 nits of White divide by ZERO. How many ZEROs goes into 500; as many as you like; say 500,000:1. The LCD guys started playing around with dynamic numbers. They take the highest setting for White and divide it by the lowest possible output on Black. Now the 500 nits is divided by .005. It never matters to anyone that you cannot possibly get the highest white on the same screen as the lowest Black. This is the main reason why dynamic contrast ratios are worthless. (Note, with LED backlights, there are ways to drive the LED matrix with a similar pattern to the video, so that maximum white can be seen on the same image as the minimum black.... still its kinda new and expensive).

The other main reason why these dynamic contrast numbers are meaningless is that there are VERY few people watching their flat panels in a 100% dark room. As soon as there is light; there is reflection. It is quite possible to have as high as 100 nits of "black" given the right conditions. 500 nits of White / 100 nits of black is 5:1 and in some places, this is still considered acceptable.

Do the setup that is decribed above. When you are all done, turn off the set and look at it in whatever lighting is "typical". Is it at night with a lamp near you in front of the set? Is it daytime with the blinds to the window open? Whatever you see on the screen, with the backlight completely off is the darkest the screen will ever be in "Black". This is the "evil" of reflected light, and why no one ever tries to address it.

Lastly, if the screen is 500 nits, just how dark does black have to get to be "good looking. You can't make the screen any brighter, so you are stuck in making black, blacker. How black can you go or need to go (assuming no relfection).

The above info can be found here and all credit is to the original posters at avs. It never hurts to listen to what others have to say. You may actually learn something!

[quote name='unreal999']Can you use this monitor as a tv screen? What i mean is can i use it to play my ps3 games on it,[/QUOTE]

uhhh......yes.

[quote name='unreal999']So it has hdmi support? If so, im sold.[/quote]
Yes, one HDCP-compliant HDMI port.

My 24-incher has the same inputs. There is not a DVI port, so for my computer I bought a DVI-to-HDMI cable from Monoprice.

bread's done
Back