What a crock of shit: PS3 screws owners of older HDTVs

With that kind of attitude it's pretty obvious you weren't planning to buy a PS3 anytime soon if at all.
Wow, I'm so glad you are capable of reading my mind and know my buying habits from one post. I set this thread up to see who else is in the same boat. I don't need the George-W-Bush-esque attack the messenger while ignoring the facts bullshit tactics.

I was fully planning on buying a PS3 once a few good titles come out for it. However, I'm sure as hell not going to buy this "next-gen" system when it cannot give me the HD signal to my HDTV. Take a look at my collection, I have about every system from the NES onwards. I'm not some fanboy, but I think it is ridiculous that I cannot play this "most powerful" system in something above 480p.

I'm not too tech savvy with the interlaced display and progressive scan resolution things, but how can you tell if your TV is an older HDTV like the kind stated in the article?

I'm not too tech savvy with the interlaced display and progressive scan resolution things, but how can you tell if your TV is an older HDTV like the kind stated in the article?
Well, how old is your TV and what display type is it? The main type that is going to be affected is CRT TVs, but that's not to say it won't affect older Plasma or DLP sets either.

[quote name='secretvampire']Well, how old is your TV and what display type is it? The main type that is going to be affected is CRT TVs, but that's not to say it won't affect older Plasma or DLP sets either.[/quote]I think it's a JVC branded LCD type display. Not too sure how old it is because my sister gave it to me when she got a huge plasma TV for her house. It works fine with the 360 though.

[quote name='Ma12kez']I'm not too tech savvy with the interlaced display and progressive scan resolution things, but how can you tell if your TV is an older HDTV like the kind stated in the article?[/QUOTE]
You own a 360 and a HDTV.

Go into the display settings on the dashboard and check what resolution it is displaying at.

If you have the option of displaying at 720p, you'll be fine.

If it's 1080i, you're shit out of luck when it comes to the PS3. You will take a major hit in resolution and will only be able to display at 480p at best.

This is terrible news, I have a 720p television and I'm planning on buying another 720p TV very soon, so it does not affect me, but this is a stupid oversight by Sony.

[quote name='zewone']You own a 360 and a HDTV.

Go into the display settings on the dashboard and check what resolution it is displaying at.

If you have the option of displaying at 720p, you'll be fine.

If it's 1080i, you're shit out of luck when it comes to the PS3. You will take a major hit in resolution and will only be able to display at 480p at best.

This is terrible news, I have a 720p television and I'm planning on buying another 720p TV very soon, so it does not affect me, but this is a stupid oversight by Sony.[/quote]Thanks for the clarification zewone. I will check as soon as I get home.

Don't get your panties in a wad. I'm sure there'll be a patch to download that'll take care of it.

Well, ok, too late for your panties, but I'm sure Sony will address the problem, just like when the news hit about not all PS2 titles being able to be played on PS3.

Sony's retarded with this launch...The end is near...You can't mess up this many key pieces of the puzzle and expect to win a console war...

[quote name='whoknows']With that kind of attitude it's pretty obvious you weren't planning to buy a PS3 anytime soon if at all.[/quote]

How many bad bits of info do you need to make you get off Sony's dick.

This has to be fixed ASAP. I can't believe they launched without the ability to scale to 1080i.

Granted, I'm not planning on getting one anytime soon, but how could a situation like this even occur?

I have an older Sony"HD-Ready" XBR CRT that is 480p/1080i and it doesn't run 1080i so well. 480p looks great though. Coincidence?

Don't get your panties in a wad. I'm sure there'll be a patch to download that'll take care of it.
You aren't quite understanding...if this is a software screwup, yes a firmware patch can fix it. If they did the unthinkable and actually didn't include the hardware to do the scaling, all the firmware patches in the world aren't going to help. Again, this is functionality that has been in the 360 for a year and in HD cable boxes for much longer than that.

Granted, I'm not planning on getting one anytime soon, but how could a situation like this even occur?
That's what I'm saying. There is still hope this is some sort of a weird oversight, but then again, this IS Sony we are talking about. I have a conspiracy theory this is to push older HD owners towards 1080p TVs (which Sony conveniently makes!) but I'll admit that is pretty far out there. ;)

By the way, that is a good piece of advice from zewone if you have a 360. It will tell you what your HDTV is capable of.

Looks like we're out of luck :( We have an older projection HDTV that only supports 480i/480p/1080i. I hope they can fix this via software.

or you are a dumbass if you enjoy playing games on 1080i with less refresh rate doesn't even look good anymore i prefer 720p over 1080i, also you can manual set it to 1080i it defaults to 720p for best picture

[quote name='panasonic']also you can manual set it to 1080i it defaults to 720p for best picture[/QUOTE]
No. The games are made in 720p, it will not scale them to 1080i, only down to 480p.

[quote name='secretvampire']Wow, I'm so glad you are capable of reading my mind and know my buying habits from one post. I set this thread up to see who else is in the same boat. I don't need the George-W-Bush-esque attack the messenger while ignoring the facts bullshit tactics.

I was fully planning on buying a PS3 once a few good titles come out for it. However, I'm sure as hell not going to buy this "next-gen" system when it cannot give me the HD signal to my HDTV. Take a look at my collection, I have about every system from the NES onwards. I'm not some fanboy, but I think it is ridiculous that I cannot play this "most powerful" system in something above 480p.[/QUOTE]

Don't sweat whoknows. Kaz Hirai could have bludgeoned his parents to death with a PS3 console, and whoknows' only concern would be if it was the 20GB or 60GB model.

I'm glad I have a TV that does 1080i and 720p/i; I'd just not buy one until they fix it, as frustrating as a solution as that may be. The problem with this is with Sony's PR strategy thus far, which has been to lambast MS for being a hi-def 'poseur' for lack of a better term. Yet, between this and the inclusion of composite (!?!?!?!?!) cables in the box, it's quite clear that Sony is not ready for "true HD" (1080p in their terms) either. Shame.

[quote name='shipwreck']This has to be fixed ASAP. I can't believe they launched without the ability to scale to 1080i.

Granted, I'm not planning on getting one anytime soon, but how could a situation like this even occur?[/quote]

I agree. This is complete bullshit. Is there a way to check what my TV is capable of? I've got a Panasonic plasma but it's 2.5 years old...

[quote name='javeryh']I agree. This is complete bullshit. Is there a way to check what my TV is capable of? I've got a Panasonic plasma but it's 2.5 years old...[/QUOTE]

Like another poster said, you can just fire up your 360 and check it out there in the configuration blade to see what the current display is.

Reason #1,203,411 why I won't be getting a PS3: 360 will always look better on my 1080i HDTV.

Seems like a minute doesn't go by where Sony doesn't come up with another reason for me to hate on PS3.

so then i switched the 200lbs 36" 480p set in the living room with the 198lbs 32" 1080i set from the bedroom for no reason? i hope sony gets this fixed when i finally get my ps3 in a few months.

[quote name='evanft']This is dumb, but it isn't anything to get all pissy about.[/QUOTE]

It's not anything to get pissy about? This means that half the people with HDTVs can't play their ps3s in HD.

Anyone find it funny that Gran Turismo 4 and Enter the Matrix will do 1080i on ps2?

or you are a dumbass if you enjoy playing games on 1080i with less refresh rate doesn't even look good anymore i prefer 720p over 1080i, also you can manual set it to 1080i it defaults to 720p for best picture
Or, you don't know what you are talking about. Many older HDTVs cannot accept a 720p signal.

This is dumb, but it isn't anything to get all pissy about.
Riiiiiiiight...because I want to play my sUPeR-DuPeR hI-DeF system at 480p. Again, if you don't see what the big deal is, you don't quite understand.

Anyone find it funny that Gran Turismo 4 and Enter the Matrix will do 1080i on ps2?
Now THAT is some irony. I can play GT4 in 1080i on my PS2 but not on a PS3. Nice.

This is rediculous... I own two HDTV's that can only do 1080i and 480p, no 720p. Now I have no problem waiting a while before I pick one up.

You might not realize this, but CRT HDTV's can not do 720p. Some of the better ones will scale a 720p signal internally (mine don't), but it generally doesn't look great.

[quote name='panasonic']or you are a dumbass if you enjoy playing games on 1080i with less refresh rate doesn't even look good anymore i prefer 720p over 1080i, also you can manual set it to 1080i it defaults to 720p for best picture[/QUOTE]

fuck you, my Panasonic widescreen CRT direct view [tube] at 1080i can display a better image than any of your LCD or projection based monitors ON STOCK SETTINGS, once I calibrate the base menu and get into the service menu and tweak even more my 1080i Panasonic tube can rip apart even 1080p displays, at any distance, in any lighting condition, with any source material. Plus I can hook up a damn Genesis and actually enjoy the way it looks.

0h n03s. Let's get all angry on an internet message board instead of doing something intelligent and berate Sony to their face (or ear).

Why is it the mentality of 'I'll bitch about it on teh interwebs and hope that someone happens upon my post' instead of actually trying to get them to fix the problem?

Ever thought that they may have done this on purpose to get you to buy one of their fabulous HDTvs when you pick up your $600 heat generator?

0h n03s. Let's get all angry on an internet message board instead of doing something intelligent and berate Sony to their face (or ear).

Why is it the mentality of 'I'll bitch about it on teh interwebs and hope that someone happens upon my post' instead of actually trying to get them to fix the problem?
Oh, right. I'll just call my local Sony rep that I have on speed dial and he'll meet with the Sony board on my behalf tomorrow.

Ever thought that they may have done this on purpose to get you to buy one of their fabulous HDTvs when you pick up your $600 heat generator?
Oh wait, I said the same thing a few posts up.

But wait, does anyone know if this affects Blu Ray?

If so, 1080p being downconverted to 480p is going to cause so many artifacts it isn't even funny. It'll look worse than 480i upscaled to 1080i by the internal image processor.

I love my PS2, and look forward to loving my PS3, but if that's the case, that I can't even view BLU RAY at 1080i, then I'm done with Sony until they decide to actually fix something that even the PS2 can do

Here's my problem though, if I pump 480i to my TV, the scaler will upconvert into 1080i, why wouldn't my TV read the 720p/1080p signal and upconvert itself? How did they make it so the PS3's scaler takes over the TV's scaler?

[quote name='secretvampire']This will not affect Blu-Ray playback, only games rendered at 720p. All Blu-Ray movies are output at 1080p/1080i.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense, but it still doesn't make sense why the TV won't take in the 720 and automatically convert it. I had a Panasonic upconverter that was outputting in 720p and my TV automatically upscaled to 1080i, why in the world would my TV not do the same with the PS3?

[quote name='secretvampire']Oh, right. I'll just call my local Sony rep that I have on speed dial and he'll meet with the Sony board on my behalf tomorrow.

Oh wait, I said the same thing a few posts up.[/QUOTE]

1-800-345-7669

Do something useful.

That makes sense, but it still doesn't make sense why the TV won't take in the 720 and automatically convert it. I had a Panasonic upconverter that was outputting in 720p and my TV automatically upscaled to 1080i, why in the world would my TV not do the same with the PS3?
If this is the case, you are just fine. The issue is for others of us that bought HDTVs from about 2000-2003 or 2004. Many of the older HDTVs cannot accept a 720p signal period and won't convert them. If your TV can do this, you have nothing to worry about.

1-800-345-7669

Do something useful.
What is that? I'm sure the CSR that answers won't have a fucking clue what I'm talking about. Look, you have a point, but one voice will get ignored. I wanted to get this out to fellow HDTV owners that are affected since it's a lot harder to ignore many voices.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']1-800-345-7669

Do something useful.[/QUOTE]

"Here's a phone. Call someone who cares."

>911

"GIVE ME THAT."

Wow, that is amazing.....glad I'm passing on this for now. If I do ever get one, I would probably put it on my other SMALL 26" LCD which might handle this fine. They really dropped the ball though

[quote name='secretvampire']You aren't quite understanding...if this is a software screwup, yes a firmware patch can fix it. If they did the unthinkable and actually didn't include the hardware to do the scaling, all the firmware patches in the world aren't going to help. Again, this is functionality that has been in the 360 for a year and in HD cable boxes for much longer than that.

[/QUOTE]

Well, the PS3 hardware can obviously output 1080i fine, so I'm sure it can be programmed through a firmware update to upscale 720p, why wouldn't it? What additional hardware would it need?
Seems pretty trivial for the super-duper Cell processors to handle. Sony will release a firmware update, just wait.

[quote name='evanft']This is dumb, but it isn't anything to get all pissy about.[/QUOTE]

Actually assuming it is true, it is a huge deal. My TV takes 720p just fine but I have a few friends whose TVs can't take 720p input. I guess they should either buy a new TV or play in standard def? I personally would not even bother owning a next gen system (besides the Wii) if I didn't own an HD set, because the graphical margin is just not that huge in standard def.

Fortunately I hadn't bought that CRT HDTV yet, but this is still bullshit. So I have to buy a much more expensive LCD HDTV just to play the PS3 in HD?

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Fortunately I hadn't bought that CRT HDTV yet, but this is still bullshit. So I have to buy a much more expensive LCD HDTV just to play the PS3 in HD?[/QUOTE]
There are CRTs that will accept a 720p signal and upconvert it to 1080i.

From what I have read, the PS3 might not actually do any upconverting itself at all. You get whatever signal the content provides.

bread's done
Back