What am I missing?

Gears24

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Hey guys, I bought a PS3 back in June or so, and really didn't play it much until recently. I've began to build up my collection so far and was wondering what I am missing. My PS3 is exclusives only as both me and my brother have a 360 as well, so it's just easier to get the multi platformers on the 360. Here's what I got so far:

3D Dot Game Heroes
Final Fantasy XIII (Not exclusive but wouldn't feel right on the 360, lol)
Folklore
God of War Collection
God of War 3
Infamous
Katamari Forever
Little Big Planet GOTY
Modnation Racers
Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 1
Resistance: Fall of Man
Resistance 2
The Sly Collection
Uncharted Drake's Fortune
Uncharted 2 Among Thieves

I've also played and beat Heavy Rain and got rid of it. So far it's the only game I've beaten and am actually working on 3D Dot Game Heroes, over all I am really enjoying what the PS3 has to offer so far. What else am I missing as far as exclusives go? What came to mind was:

Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction
Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time
Yakuza 3
Demon Soul's
Valkyria Chronicles

Other than that, I can't really think of anything else. Open to suggestions!

Heavenly Sword and of course Metal Gear Solid 4.

There's also Warhawk which I'm not sure how much of a following that has. Wipeout HD on the PSN. Disgaea 3 is an exclusive too I believe. Lair & Haze are exclusives too but neither are very good.

Killzone 2
Gran Turismo 5
MLB The Show games if you are into baseball
Demon's Souls
Warhawk
MAG
Motorstorm
Hot Shot Golf
Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice
Fat Princess

Thanks for the replies. After looking those games up the ones I seem to possibly be interested in would be

Killzone 2 and Heavenly Sword. I had MGS4 at one time but I didn't bother to play it. Not sure why but it didn't appeal to me too much like the others. Thanks again guys! :)

Grab some popcorn and go buy MGS 4 again so you can watch...errrrr....play it.;) As for MAG and Warhawk, if you like getting your ass handed to you in ONLINE MULTIPLAYER ONLY games, then those are for you as well.

If anything I wouldn't get too worked up over only picking up 'omg exclusives', since some of those are really truly horrible titles(see: inFamous).

Just stay away from Haze.

If you like Socom, just wait for 4 to come out. Unless you can get Confrontation for REALLY cheap, like $5.

If you haven't played Batman: Arkham Asylum on 360 yet you can get that for PS3, it doesn't have any multiplayer (other than leaderboards), as the PS3 version has some exclusive challenge rooms where you can play as the Joker which are quite fun. Not worth rebuying the game for if you have already played it on the 360 though.

If you haven't considered the PSN, that should likely be your first stop. Pick up any of the Pixeljunk games (although maybe hold off on Racer) and ThatGameCompany games for starters. Id also say Wipeout is a definite buy if you like racing games at all.

I was blown away at how good Valkyria Chronicles is. Very polished and a truly fun challenge. Although it does get quite difficult, there are hours of amazing gameplay to be had.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
If anything I wouldn't get too worked up over only picking up 'omg exclusives', since some of those are really truly horrible titles(see: inFamous).[/QUOTE]

I can see complaints against Infamous, but I can't see it being labeled a truly horrible title.

Infamous is far from horrible. This is where some people take their opinions way too far. All you have to do is see the average reviews on any game buying sites and metacritic/gamerankings to tell if a game is quality or not. It still might not be a game YOU will like. I hate the whole RTS and MMO genres, but if I stated that WoW and Star Craft were bad games, I would be villified I am sure.

IATCG, not trying to crack on you, but you get way too carried away with your opinions sometimes.

Pretty much everything good has been mentioned. Check out PSN titles too, there are some fantastic ones on there (Joe Danger, Flower, Pixeljunk games, etc..)

Thanks again for all the replies. I don't know about the PSN store personally, I hardly get into Arcade/DLC titles. Same goes with XBLA titles. I just usually play big titles and am extremely backed up at the moment. (About 15+ on the PS3 and 25+ on the 360 now after the holidays)

I looked into Disgaea 3 but I've never been a fan of Strategy RPGs (I think that's what Disgaea is?) and I also looked into Alchemist of Arland, definitely reminded me of Eternal Sonata artwork. Pretty glad I decided to dip into the PS3 library as well after being strictly 360 for about 2 years (2008~2010).

I was always a PS1+PS2 junkie but at the time I was going to jump into the next gen, the PS3 was too expensive for me. When it finally got the 300$ price mark, it was definitely time to get one :)

*EDIT* Anyone have anything to say about White Knight Chronicles? I also had it at one point but never got around to playing it and ended up trading it away. I heard it was sort of like Infinite Undiscovery? I really enjoyed that and could possibly be interested in picking it back up eventually.

I'm a couple missions into Killzone 2 and I'm not digging it nearly as much as Resistance 2. I'm not a fan of the controls, and the campaign so far feels more like a sci-fi CoD game compared to the epic battle against huge monsters in Resistance 2, which I loved. I have yet to play Resistance: Fall of Man. Anyway, try a demo of Killzone 2 first before you buy it. Maybe someone else here has played more of the game and can recommend you (and me) to play into the game a little more before judging it. I wasn't a fan of the multplayer at all... the few rounds I played were melee-fests.

I recently bought Demon's Souls but it's in my backlog for now. I've heard nothing but good things about it though, the only negative comments I've read is that it's too hard, but once you get into it, it gets easier.

Get Unreal Tournament 3 if you're a fan of arena shooters. It's on the 360 as well, but the PS3 version has a shitload of FREE new maps and mods to download that aren't available on the 360. I previously owned the game on 360 when I bought it for PS3, but it's dirt cheap now, I figured I may as well own it on both consoles. It has several map packs worth of new content for less than the price of one.

MAG if you're into CoD's online experience. It's like CoD, but much, much more epic and complex.

Only get MGS4 if you played through the first 3. It's mostly cinematics, and you won't get as much enjoyment out if it if you're not already into the storyline of the series.

Infamous is good if you can find it cheap. It's entertaining for a while, but I promise you you'll get tired of the repetitive missions halfway through and never finish it. The repetitiveness of the missions sent it from my most-played game to the far back end of my backlog before I could finish it, and it'll probably stay there for quite some time unless I get bored.

EDIT: as far as White Knight Chronicles goes, I've heard to hold off. I haven't played it myself, but from what I've heard, the sequel is supposed to come with the first game as well, with a slew of much-needed tweaks for the game. Just stick with Demon's Souls for now.

[quote name='wrencrest']Infamous is far from horrible. This is where some people take their opinions way too far. All you have to do is see the average reviews on any game buying sites and metacritic/gamerankings to tell if a game is quality or not. It still might not be a game YOU will like. I hate the whole RTS and MMO genres, but if I stated that WoW and Star Craft were bad games, I would be villified I am sure.

IATCG, not trying to crack on you, but you get way too carried away with your opinions sometimes.[/QUOTE]

I don't mind being vilified at all, WoW does suck but I liked the demo for inFamous. :lol:

[quote name='wrencrest']Infamous is far from horrible. This is where some people take their opinions way too far. All you have to do is see the average reviews on any game buying sites and metacritic/gamerankings to tell if a game is quality or not. It still might not be a game YOU will like. I hate the whole RTS and MMO genres, but if I stated that WoW and Star Craft were bad games, I would be villified I am sure.

IATCG, not trying to crack on you, but you get way too carried away with your opinions sometimes.[/QUOTE]

infamous is a game worth playing but it gets tedious on your second playthrough. the shard collecting really makes it drag on but if on your first attempt you go through as evil you wont be dissappointed. its a very competent superhero game its more or less like playing assasins creed with super powers and boss battles.

Infamous is far from a great game, the critics scores are extremely bloated as they most often are -- it's good fun though if you're into the open-world super hero type games. It's also cheap as dirt so it's probably worth playing so you can jump into what's probably going to be a much improved sequel.

I'm in the same position you are, but I've been playing my PS3 almost nonstop since I got it back in June and now vastly prefer it to my xbox 360 (probably because I grew up on PS-style stuff -- not trying to make a console war statement, just sayin'). Here's my opinion on PS3 exclusives.

Disgaea 3 - Fun, but way too much like 1 & 2. It's basically just the same thing with larger levels and new mechanics. The graphics are still bleh, there's not enough new classes, and the trophies for this game are so hard to get. The DLC seems completely pointless as the game has infinite random levels and the storyline is terrible, so there's no point in getting most of it. I'd only suggest you get this if you haven't played 1 & 2 or you're a gigantic disgaea superfan.

MAG - Also fun, but it's a whole lot more like Battlefield than Call of Duty I'd argue. The shooting and everything else isn't quite as solid and well-reacting as COD's, there's also not as many guns, but a whole lot more customization options via the skill trees. The move support is cool, but not amazing. I really like the 3 factions angle. Basically, if you like tactical big-team battles, you'll like this.

Demon Souls - Loved it, but it doesn't have a huge amount of content. There's around 20 stages, each will take you about... 30-45 minutes to finish (more or less depending on how many times you die). Farming stuff for weapon upgrading is tedious and boring, so this isn't good for doing platinum. There's a whole lot of awesome concepts to this game though, lik the fact that one of the boss fights is PVP. This is a must-play for a PS3 owner, but I think it could be rented and blown through instead of bought unless you really like the idea of PVP action-RPG gameplay (in which case it's a buy).

Infamous - Worth playing, not worth buying unless you really like superhero open world games. NOT a must-play. It's far better than prototype, the graphics are good, the storyline is OK with some goofy elements. Zero replay value in my opinion in spite of the karma system.

Killzone 2 - Awesome in so many ways, but the tank-like controls are just so depressing. The graphics are better than COD, the map design is better, and environments are more detailed. If you can soldier through the controls are don't mind a less robust progression system than in COD or MAG, you'll like Killzone 2. KZ3 looks like it's gonna be amazing, so I got KZ2 just to finish it before 3.

God of War 1 & 2 HD - I actually really didn't like this. It just seemed super overrated to me. It wasn't even dated game design aspects that bothered me, just the poor storyline and such. To me the game was a huge snorefest. I don't think I'd like 3 either.

Uncharted 1 & 2 - I love these games. I usually don't like games that are relatively linear shooters without progression systems outside of their multiplayer components, but the Uncharted seasons has a cool little ingame trophy-achievement system in addition to the actual trophy support plus the storyline (especially its execution and dialogue) is exciting and well-written. The multiplayer for Uncharted 2 is extremely fun and unique. It's like Gears of War with platforming elements only better.

Modnation Racers - I found this meh, then again I don't really like racing a whole lot, and the game just seems like an attempt at making a little big planet racing game that flopped. I can't really make what I want to make, because it didn't seem like there were enough customization options.

Little Big Planet - OK platformer, but kind of meh overall compared to expectations. The creation tools weren't robust enough. LBP2 looks mindblowingly cool, I loved the demo.

White Knight Chronicles - I think this game sucks and I love JRPGs.

Resistance 2 - OK. Online is dead, singleplayer gets a little tedious. Solid none the less. I did like it. The guns are fun to use.

PSN is where the really awesome exclusives are. I won't bother listing the ones that use Playstation Move since it doesn't seem like you bought move or are interested in it, I should note that there are a lot of cool move games on PSN.

Pixeljunk Monsters - If you like tower defense games, get this. This game is the best tower defense game I've ever played. Buy the DLC too.

Pixeljunk Racer, Shooter, Eden - I found all of these really meh.

Auditorium HD - Cool light game, awesome music, basic puzzles. Very fun, you can try out a flash version demo of it online, you should do that before deciding to buy this. Move compatible!

Mushroom Wars - I actually really like this very very simple RTS Tower Defense Hybrid (very little tower defense, it's mostly RTS with set points). Bright colors, nice music, simple, challenging gameplay.

Dead Nation - Meh. Better than zombie apocalypse, it's still a top down shooter. :|

Noby Noby Boy - WTF.

Fat Princess - Lag kills the online. Very fun game otherwise.

Hustle Kings - Cool pool game that's indepth with a lot of DLC support. It does move. Awesome soundtrack.

Planet Minigolf - I haven't gotten into this too much, but it's a solid minigolf game where you can supposedly make your own courses. I like it thus far.

Nice. Thanks for the huge in depth response. Since posting this I ended up picking up Killzone 2, Demon Souls, and both Ratchet games. I was sitting on cheap GameStop credit and took advantage of B2G1.

I'm a pretty big completionist when it comes to games. I'll always try to go for 1000/Platinum. I just Platinum'd 3DDGH about 10 minutes ago and have to say it was one of the more difficult games I have completed. Not the longest, but definitely one of the most frustrating. I've heard about how hard Demon Soul's was and stuff, but apparently people say 3DDGH is harder to platinum although the time needed differs a lot.

On 360 I've 1000'd quite a few lengthy JRPGs which took over 100+ hours (Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Blue Dragon and a few others) So I don't mind a challenge every now and then. The only thing that tends to bother me is when they add trophies based around online and ridiculous crap too (I believe Resistance 2 has some sort of 10,000 online kills trophy?)

Generally I'm pretty tolerant with games and will play through a lot of games other people are not willing to put up with (Alone in the Dark for 360 comes to mind) Also I am not very much of an online gamer anymore, ever since acquiring a backlog it's become pretty hard for me to play a game online. Thanks again for all the responses!

bread's done
Back