what are my options

gtrunner

CAGiversary!
so I bought a used copy of Gears of war 3 for $35 from an Amazon seller. that has a 5 star rating from over 100 people

I get package like a week in a half latter. I open the package and Call of Duty modern warfare 2 slides out.

I'm like "WHAT!"

"there got to be a invoice "

I look in and see a white slip. it was addressed to a different person, with a different invoice number

I emailed this person a day ago still no response.

I never had this happen trying not to get scammed

what are my options in this?

do i refuse to send it back if I have to pay for the shipping?

do i just demand a refund ?

It was probably a mistake... just wait a bit longer, if you don't hear from him then file a claim with Amazon and you'll get your money back.

You don't even need any proof and amazon will give you your money back. Wait a few more days for a response and if you don't get one file a claim.

The seller should offer to send you a replacement with a pre-paid return mailer (considering it's their screw-up). You might as well start a claim to get the ball rolling.

expect to reach a decision by December 19, 2011

translation I'm not going to play this game this year because of their mess up.

so now he saying that i should ship the game back to him with 1st class USPS mail and they will pay me back at a latter date >_>

says nothing about my game

[quote name='gtrunner']so now he saying that i should ship the game back to him with 1st class USPS mail and they will pay me back at a latter date >_>

says nothing about my game[/QUOTE]

I don't think that Amazon provides a way for sellers to send a prepaid return label.

The seller probably only had one copy of each game and is hoping to get both of them back so that he/she can them send them to the right person.

If I were in this situation, I would just contact Amazon. I wouldn't just send it back without talking to customer service first. What if it gets lost?

I understand why the OP is frustrated. Usually people buy a game because they want to start playing it within a few weeks at the most, not in a month. Mistakes happen, but I don't think the OP is being unreasonable. He shouldn't have to pay for shipping the game back and then wait for reimbursement. He also shouldn't have to ask the seller when or if he'll ever get the correct game.

[quote name='Cmosfm']I must have this game RIGHT NOW that's been out for almost 3 months!!!!![/QUOTE] pay for a meal, they give you the wrong order, then tell you come back next week to get your right one. they tell you they will reimburse you for the drive back over there .... they promise.

[quote name='chiwii']If I were in this situation, I would just contact Amazon. I wouldn't just send it back without talking to customer service first. What if it gets lost?

I understand why the OP is frustrated. Usually people buy a game because they want to start playing it within a few weeks at the most, not in a month. Mistakes happen, but I don't think the OP is being unreasonable. He shouldn't have to pay for shipping the game back and then wait for reimbursement. He also shouldn't have to ask the seller when or if he'll ever get the correct game.[/QUOTE]what do i say ? i haven't sent it back yet

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']Yeah, sometime life gives you lemons and you have to get the fuck over it.

Send it back and wait for your game. It's not like your dog died.[/QUOTE]
:applause: The seller made a mistake. People do sometimes ship the wrong stuff to the wrong people when selling stuff online. Shit happens. The seller will most likely make things right, but it won't be overnight.

But I keep forgetting that folks round here tend to be of the Consumerist.com mindset anymore, where even the slightest 'transgression' results in a whiny post about how they're OWED this or that and how it's the worst this or that ever that has happened to them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:applause: The seller made a mistake. People do sometimes ship the wrong stuff to the wrong people when selling stuff online. Shit happens. The seller will most likely make things right, but it won't be overnight.

But I keep forgetting that folks round here tend to be of the Consumerist.com mindset anymore, where even the slightest 'transgression' results in a whiny post about how they're OWED this or that and how it's the worst this or that ever that has happened to them.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the applause.

I completely agree. I'm just surprised that the OP hasn't threatened the Amazon seller about retaining a lawyer.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:applause: The seller made a mistake. People do sometimes ship the wrong stuff to the wrong people when selling stuff online. Shit happens. The seller will most likely make things right, but it won't be overnight.

But I keep forgetting that folks round here tend to be of the Consumerist.com mindset anymore, where even the slightest 'transgression' results in a whiny post about how they're OWED this or that and how it's the worst this or that ever that has happened to them.[/QUOTE]
I clearly state that it took this person 4 days and me filing a claim with amazon to even get a respond or acknowledge that he received my message, I wasn't complaining. I was asking for advice because this was the first time this has happened to me. Even the tittle of the thread is "what are my options?"

im sorry if this is the wrong section for the thread but it seemed like the best fit to ask these type of questions.

I'm happy to see that you some how twisted my questions into whining to, i don't know, feel better about your self? because your full statement serve no particle purpose to the thread. it benefits no one reading it and also was stated in this thread before "S happens, people cry about it " WOW that the first time I've ever heard that statement, you should write a book.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gtrunner']what do i say ? i haven't sent it back yet[/QUOTE]

I would just tell them about the mistake, and tell them that the seller wants you to ship it back at your expense. Maybe they'll advise that you do something differently.

The OP is OWED the game that he purchased, at the price he agreed to pay, within a reasonable amount of time. At this rate, the OP probably won't have his game within a month of ordering it. IMO, that's not reasonable.

[quote name='chiwii']I would just tell them about the mistake, and tell them that the seller wants you to ship it back at your expense. Maybe they'll advise that you do something differently.

The OP is OWED the game that he purchased, at the price he agreed to pay, within a reasonable amount of time. At this rate, the OP probably won't have his game within a month of ordering it. IMO, that's not reasonable.[/QUOTE]

What do you want the seller to do? At best he issues a full refund plus the cost of shipping the item back. He obviously doesn't have gears of war 3 since he shipped it to the other buyer by accident. Also, some people don't check their amazon account/ email every day. Shit happens. Ask for a refund and the cost of shipping.

If I were in the OP's shoes, I'd want the seller to take responsibility for their mistake. The seller could offer a full refund plus the cost of shipping, but he didn't. The seller could at least explain what's going on with the other game (it looks like the OP has no idea if the seller even expects to get that game back), but he didn't.

[quote name='chiwii']If I were in the OP's shoes, I'd want the seller to take responsibility for their mistake. The seller could offer a full refund plus the cost of shipping, but he didn't. The seller could at least explain what's going on with the other game (it looks like the OP has no idea if the seller even expects to get that game back), but he didn't.[/QUOTE]

Everything you stated above is reasonable. If I were the seller, I would have issued a full refund and told the buyer to keep the game. It's not worth the hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP could probably just escalate his complaint to Amazon, Amazon will side with him, refund his money, and he'll get to keep the wrong game.

[quote name='kodave']OP could probably just escalate his complaint to Amazon, Amazon will side with him, refund his money, and he'll get to keep the wrong game.[/QUOTE]

No they won't. The seller agreed to accept the return and (presumably) will refund OP's money. That's enough to quell Amazon. Shipping costs are burdened by the retailer's decision.

OP, I know you think you were raped and beaten but you weren't. This is one of the shortcomings of online shopping, the cost of having saved some money versus a B&M store. You're likely going have to accept the terms, leave him a negative and get over it.

[quote name='kill3r7']What do you want the seller to do? At best he issues a full refund plus the cost of shipping the item back. He obviously doesn't have gears of war 3 since he shipped it to the other buyer by accident. Also, some people don't check their amazon account/ email every day. Shit happens. Ask for a refund and the cost of shipping.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. I check my Amazon seller account maybe once every two days. There have been times when I've been running out in the late afternoon to ship something out because I hadn't checked in a few days and now had an order I had to fill.

It does happen. Sometimes people don't check their email or accounts for longer than a couple of days. That's what I feel happened with the seller the OP is dealing with. Most people just sell on eBay and Amazon to supplement their income or get rid of games they've already played through and are doing so on their spare time.

I'd message the seller/Amazon for clarification... ask the seller if he intends to reimburse for the added cost of returning the game, and what excactly he means by a refund 'at a later date'... becuase right now he's making it sound like he wants the game and the money until it's convienient for him to deal with. I know I wouldn't be comfortable with that.

Ask Amazon what the typical circumstances are in such a situation. Who is expected to cover the additional shipping costs? At what point should you have your refund? Give everyone the benefit of the doubt for now- but make sure you know what's going on before you let that game go.

bread's done
Back