What are some games that have a suprising resale value?

acdcrocks1980

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Recently I noticed that some games I own have insane resale prices. What are some fairly common games that have suprisingly high resale values?

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (Gamecube) -- $70ish
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii) -- $60ish
New Play Control! Pikmin (Wii) -- $30ish
Metroid Prime Trilogy Collector's Edition (Wii) -- $80ish

[quote name='acdcrocks1980']Recently I noticed that some games I own have insane resale prices. What are some fairly common games that have suprisingly high resale values?

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (Gamecube) -- $70ish
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii) -- $60ish
New Play Control! Pikmin (Wii) -- $30ish
Metroid Prime Trilogy Collector's Edition (Wii) -- $80ish[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't really call any of those games common... very few "common" games are going to have high resale value and the longer the stay "common" the less the resale value will be.

Something like Dragon Age 2: Signature Edition that appeared rare had a very high resale value at launch but as it became evident that it wasn't preorder only it became relatively worthless.

However other games like NCAA Basketball 10 (PS3) or NFS: Most Wanted (360, original release) are worth quite a bit just because they aren't easy to find.

[quote name='GBAstar']I wouldn't really call any of those games common... very few "common" games are going to have high resale value and the longer the stay "common" the less the resale value will be.

Something like Dragon Age 2: Signature Edition that appeared rare had a very high resale value at launch but as it became evident that it wasn't preorder only it became relatively worthless.

However other games like NCAA Basketball 10 (PS3) or NFS: Most Wanted (360, original release) are worth quite a bit just because they aren't easy to find.[/QUOTE]
I was just suprised that Pikmin and that Metroid pack were worth so much. I picked up pikmin for $5 at bestbuy a couple years ago, and I think I got Metroid for $30 or less at Target at one point.

Earthbound for SNES goes for $150 or so for cart only, substantially more if you have the large box and strategy guide.

[quote name='GBAstar']I wouldn't really call any of those games common... very few "common" games are going to have high resale value and the longer the stay "common" the less the resale value will be.

However other games like NCAA Basketball 10 (PS3) or NFS: Most Wanted (360, original release) are worth quite a bit just because they aren't easy to find.[/QUOTE]

Dragon Age 2: Signature Edition have the extra stuff as DLC, which makes a used copy worthless. A new copy is worth over $100.

[quote name='acdcrocks1980']I was just suprised that Pikmin and that Metroid pack were worth so much. I picked up pikmin for $5 at bestbuy a couple years ago, and I think I got Metroid for $30 or less at Target at one point.[/QUOTE]

I got Metroid Trilogy for $25, brand-new, from a Game Crazy sale that I heard about here on CAG. The title had a fairly limited print run, and they never bothered to produce a non-special edition version. Moreover, the Metroid Trilogy box set is quite nice, with a fantastic plastic slip-cover and steel-book case. It's also the only way to play the first two Metroid Prime games with Wii controls. All of these factors together make it highly desirable for collectors.

The Pikmin box was just a matter of a limited print run. The packaging is considerably less premium than the Metroid set. (which is why it usually goes for less)

I also have a copy of Hyperdimension Neptunia: Collectors Edition. I got it on a whim from Fry's Electronics because they were selling it for the same price as the regular edition. Now the Collectors Edition is going for around $120 used, once again due to an aggressively limited print run. (the regular edition goes for a much more normal price)

Tatsunkoko Vs. Capcom is going to be another expensive title soon. The licence for it expired, so whatever copies are out there are the only ones that will ever exist. Snag one for collection now before the price skyrockets.

I have a feeling in a few years Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning will see the same thing happen. Tales of Vesperia already has that sorta thing going on as well.

Other games like Just Cause 2 and Metro 2033 would be other recent examples.

i am surprised smash brothers melee used is $30. for a game that should've been mass produced and one of the top selling videogames ever, the fact that it still commands a price like that is insane

[quote name='kainzero']i am surprised smash brothers melee used is $30. for a game that should've been mass produced and one of the top selling videogames ever, the fact that it still commands a price like that is insane[/QUOTE]

This is a function of user demand, as opposed to limited supply. The supply of Smash Brothers Melee is of course, quite large. They did print and sell millions of copies of that game. The reason why it still commands such a high price in the second-hand market is because the demand for it continues to be high. Everyone knows its the game to get for the GameCube. And the replay-value for the game is also very high, so people usually don't sell it unless they are getting rid of their GameCube at the same time.

This happens with quite a few popular Nintendo games. It's not uncommon for them to hover around the $30 - $50 range in used stores for quite some time. Just check any copy of Pokemon, or Mario Party.

It seems like most 1st party GCN games are going up in value. Seems like three or four years ago I could find the heavy hitters for around $15ish, now $30+ is the norm.

Project Justice (DC) - $70 used ($110 new)

And the grand-daddy...

Suikoden II (PS1) - $110 used ($260 new)

Quick story about that game, I did a trade for a sealed copy of Rakugaki Showtime (there's only about 10,000-15,000 copies in the world) with a guy in the Navy (also traded him Shinobi - PS2) and also got Tobal 2 and Policenauts in the deal. Kicker was, I managed to pick it up complete and in almost perfect condition from a Software Ect. for get this....$50 :lol:

Looking back I shoulda kept it, but then again I wouldn't have Policenauts or Tobal and I really wanted that rare Treasure game, course now it's on JPN PSN, and Suikoden II is not, but I have a copy if I ever want to play it though.

I'm sure the Ni no kuni wizard edition is still pulling upwards of $300, but for non-LEs those two still stand quite high in rarity and value. And have maintained their prices all of these years.

With only few exceptions or special editions, it seems like almost all of the games that hold there value well over time are classic RPG's. Maybe people are less sensitive to previous gen technology when the game doesn't rely on it so much.

I got Metroid Trilogy for $25, brand-new, from a Game Crazy sale that I heard about here on CAG./quote]
I got mine for $4 at a Sears clearance... it definitely places high on my personal "great finds" list.

[quote name='kainzero']i am surprised smash brothers melee used is $30. for a game that should've been mass produced and one of the top selling videogames ever, the fact that it still commands a price like that is insane[/QUOTE]

It's the same way with Luigi's Mansion for GC. My son has seen the ads for the 3DS version and wants it. Since he doesn't have a 3DS, I told him I would look for the Gamecube version figuring it could be had cheap. It's going for $25-$30 easily, it seems. I didn't even think that game was that popular even then. Maybe I was wrong. It's hard to believe it's already 11 1/2 years old.

[quote name='obidawsn']It's going for $25-$30 easily, it seems. I didn't even think that game was that popular even then. Maybe I was wrong. It's hard to believe it's already 11 1/2 years old.[/QUOTE]

You're not wrong. The price has definitely inflated in recent years. Some of this is almost certainly due to the release of the successor on the 3DS. I'm certain that I picked up a used copy of Luigi's Mansion for no more than $15. (possibly less) And I'm certain that I saw it new for $20.

In its own time it was an underrated and under-appreciated game. The used value for the game near the end of the Gamecube's run was not very high. Any upswing in cost is almost certainly due to increased demand partially inspired by the new title.

That's how it works with older games. The cost can fluctuate pretty wildly, always due to demand.

[quote name='Richard Kain']You're not wrong. The price has definitely inflated in recent years. Some of this is almost certainly due to the release of the successor on the 3DS. I'm certain that I picked up a used copy of Luigi's Mansion for no more than $15. (possibly less) And I'm certain that I saw it new for $20.

In its own time it was an underrated and under-appreciated game. The used value for the game near the end of the Gamecube's run was not very high. Any upswing in cost is almost certainly due to increased demand partially inspired by the new title.

That's how it works with older games. The cost can fluctuate pretty wildly, always due to demand.[/QUOTE]

Not only that, but you could have GC games for peanuts with few exceptions, then all of the sudden during the later Wii years and with sequels coming out, blammo prices fly through the roof.

I'd hate to see what Pikmin 2 is going to sell for in the next few months since it was already going for $30-40 a year or two ago, and don't even get me started on the Fire Emblem series, I thought I'd never get the Wii sequel at a decent price, now looking at the games (GBA on up) are all running $70 and up, it's just insane.

[quote name='Richard Kain']
Tatsunkoko Vs. Capcom is going to be another expensive title soon. The licence for it expired, so whatever copies are out there are the only ones that will ever exist. Snag one for collection now before the price skyrockets.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the Tatsunkoko vs Capcom info. I will be on the lookout. I don't buy games just to collect, I buy to play them but at the same time I been buying more Japanese games at closer to full retail for the bonuses and stuff.

I been surprised but a lot of Atlus games have been holding their value. Like Radiant Historia has been fetching like $50 on ebay and Persona 2 for PSP for the limited edition is like $45.

bread's done
Back