What are some good GPS units for in the car?

daroga

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (100%)
I'm looking to invest in a GPS unit for our car. After seeing the bare minimum for the factory-installed unit is like $1200 ('06 Civic), I thought the portable attach-to-the-winshield variety might be better. However, if there is a decently priced in-dash one I might look into, I'd be open to that as well.

So, any thoughts? The last GPS unit I had was the Garmin GPS III Plus, so I'm not really addicted to any of the newer bells and whistles.

I have a Garmin c550. It's pretty bells and whistley, but it's great. The best feature in my opinion is that it does text to speach conversion which is great for road names. In a large city it's a lot nicer to get "Turn right at State Street" than "Turn right in 1000 feet". But other members in my family have other Garmins and we love them all.

I'm eyeing up the Garmin 2820. It's the latest version of street maps, has the text to speech, plus an option to subscribe to satellite info where if there's a jam ahead, it can redirect you.

One of the things I'm looking for, though, that you probably aren't is the ability to move it from car to car. I am often driving rentals when traveling, and I can't count on the rental company to always have rentable gps units, even when reserved.

i've been doing quite a bit of research cuz i was planning to get one as well. i narrowed it down to the TomTom ONE or the Garmin C330. the nuvi 350 is probably the go-to buy if you can afford it.. text to speech, small, etc.

bread's done
Back